PDA

View Full Version : Thomas on Konerko

joecrede
02-23-2003, 12:08 AM
From Morissey's column:

"If [Konerko] had put 12 years in and won a few MVPs and done what I've done on this field, he would have wanted an explanation, too, why he wasn't playing," Thomas said. "Because I've seen him get very, very irritated when he's sitting on the bench. When I went to first [base] a couple years ago during interleague [play], he didn't get to play. I saw the way he reacted."

Frank did go on to say, "There are no hard feelings."

I think Thomas has every right to be mad at Konerko. Konerko going to the media about a teammate was totally unprofessional.

RedPinStripes
02-23-2003, 12:16 AM
we all want to hear the inside news dont we?

MattSharp
02-23-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
I think Thomas has every right to be mad at Konerko. Konerko going to the media about a teammate was totally unprofessional.

Yea especially because it was Thomas who has so much experience and whatnot. Its too bad he was such a cry baby there for a while because he could be a lot more liked than he is.

RKMeibalane
02-23-2003, 11:19 AM
I think the Thomas-Konerko soap opera has gone on long enough. I'm ready to forget about that and move on. I think the media should try doing the same.

jeremyb1
02-23-2003, 04:22 PM
From Morissey's column:

"If [Konerko] had put 12 years in and won a few MVPs and done what I've done on this field, he would have wanted an explanation, too, why he wasn't playing," Thomas said. "Because I've seen him get very, very irritated when he's sitting on the bench. When I went to first [base] a couple years ago during interleague [play], he didn't get to play. I saw the way he reacted."

Frank did go on to say, "There are no hard feelings."

by that same principle shouldn't frank refain from discussing the fallout from the situation with the media? also, this happened over six months ago, when can it go away?

FanOf14
02-23-2003, 04:50 PM
It's funny how it's okay Thomas is crying to the media and when Konerko said something he was ripped a new one here...I wish I could say it matters that they seem to have issues with each other, but it doesn't - it's time for the both of them to shut the hell up and produce on the field.

joecrede
02-23-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
by that same principle shouldn't frank refain from discussing the fallout from the situation with the media? also, this happened over six months ago, when can it go away?

Konerko has gotten a lot of mileage as a "team leader" over rippping Thomas to the media.

When Konerko starts producing like something much more than a slightly above average first baseman he will have earned the right to talk about Thomas' shortcomings as a player to the media. Konerko is starting to turn in to our version of "Gracie". God help us.

FanOf14
02-23-2003, 04:57 PM
This is hysterical Thomas runs his mouth and Konerko gets ripped for it...Konerko just can't win as WSI can he?

idseer
02-23-2003, 05:02 PM
it seems to me konerko HAS kept his mouth shut. he made one mistake ... last year ... apologized for it ... and still gets ripped and told to shut up? only ONE dope thought it necessary to rehash a year old problem. let's put the current blame where it belongs.

joecrede
02-23-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
This is hysterical Thomas runs his mouth and Konerko gets ripped for it...Konerko just can't win as WSI can he?

There's a fine line between team leader and self-promoter and Konerko crossed it last year when he went to the media about Thomas.

FanOf14
02-23-2003, 05:27 PM
Firstly, Thomas needs to GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WAS 6+ MONTHS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Secondly, I heard what Konerko said (they replayed the entire thing on TV hours after it was said) and the media totally twisted into a Thomas bashing. It wasn't even close. All he said is that he totally understood about the slump and he totally supported him. He then was asked about Thomas being a teamplayer and if he went to him for advice and Konerko said that was tough to do considering Thomas wasn't around enough to be able to ask him for advice. That was it.

RKMeibalane
02-23-2003, 05:32 PM
Firstly, Thomas needs to GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WAS 6+ MONTHS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Secondly, I heard what Konerko said (they replayed the entire thing on TV hours after it was said) and the media totally twisted into a Thomas bashing. It wasn't even close. All he said is that he totally understood about the slump and he totally supported him. He then was asked about Thomas being a teamplayer and if he went to him for advice and Konerko said that was tough to do considering Thomas wasn't around enough to be able to ask him for advice. That was it.

The reason Frank was even talking about it in the first place was because a reporter asked him a specific question. From what others on this board have said, Frank was basically comparing his current situation to what his situation was last season. The gist of what he was saying was, "Last year, I felt a certain way, but I have different feelings now." The media has once again taken it upon themselves to bait Thomas into making a fool of himself. I agree that Frank needs to be quiet, and I wish he would avoid making stupid comments, but I think part of the blame rests with the media. They are the ones who keep bringing last season up.

cheeses_h_rice
02-23-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
The reason Frank was even talking about it in the first place was because a reporter asked him a specific question. From what others on this board have said, Frank was basically comparing his current situation to what his situation was last season. The gist of what he was saying was, "Last year, I felt a certain way, but I have different feelings now." The media has once again taken it upon themselves to bait Thomas into making a fool of himself. I agree that Frank needs to be quiet, and I wish he would avoid making stupid comments, but I think part of the blame rests with the media. They are the ones who keep bringing last season up.

Just because a question is asked of Frank doesn't mean he has to respond to it, except to say "That's in the past, and I'd rather not talk about it." That, to me, would indicate that perhaps Frank has finally learned a bit about good public relations.

But it's obvious that Frank is STILL bothered by all these slights he had to endure last year. Obvious. If he were truly over all this crap, he wouldn't have dignified the questions with a response.

The man's a real headcase.

joecrede
02-23-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
But it's obvious that Frank is STILL bothered by all these slights he had to endure last year. Obvious. If he were truly over all this crap, he wouldn't have dignified the questions with a response.

The man's a real headcase.

Konerko got exactly what he deserved for calling a teammate out in the press. No way is it an indication that Thomas is a headcase. They both got their shots in if it escalates from here that's when it becomes a problem.

FanOf14
02-23-2003, 07:33 PM
Konerko got exactly what he deserved for calling a teammate out in the press. No way is it an indication that Thomas is a headcase. They both got their shots in if it escalates from here that's when it becomes a problem.

joecrede - what part of "let it go" don't you understand? It was somehere between 6 and 8 months ago and Konerko has repeatedly appologized, what else is he supposed to do get down on his hands and knees and beg? If Thomas really wants a WS ring, he will shut his mouth, get over the past and produce on the field. Bringing up old issues will only lead to fights in the clubhouse and the Sox really don't need that right now when they have a team that could get them to the playoffs.

dllrbll7
02-23-2003, 07:34 PM
From Morissey's column:

"If [Konerko] had put 12 years in and won a few MVPs and done what I've done on this field, he would have wanted an explanation, too, why he wasn't playing," Thomas said.

Wasnt his numbers a good expanation of why he wasnt playing? I love Frank but he wasnt producing.

EnricoPallazzo
02-23-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

It is the job of the media to ask questions. And they certainly have the RESPONSIBILITY to ask Frank about last season because it is something the readers, tv viewers, and radio listeners want to know. They can't be blamed for doing their jobs any more than Frank could be blamed for going 3 for 4. Do we want them to ask what his favorite color is or what kind of tree he would be if he were a tree?

We can't whine about not getting enough media coverage, then whine some more about Frank's juvenile responses when we do get the coverage. How difficult would it have been for him to say "Paul is my team mate. We have the same goal and will pull together to reach that goal". We'd all be drinking champagne in celebration if he had that much sense. Or how about this response. "No comment. I'll let my bat do the talking" We would be thrilled.

The media afforded him the opportunity to respond in a mature manner, and beyond that, Frank could have said something that would have helped unify the team and heal old wounds. He is too immature to talk and too dumb not to.

He just struck out on a BP fastball right down the middle with a man on 3rd and no outs.

I can't imagine why the media should be criticized for doing exactly what they are supposed to do. They can be blamed for the senseless inuendos about a 68 year old man who pitched 40 years ago. And the people responsible for that are poor excuses for human beings, who give everyone in the media a bad name. But the guys interviewing Frank cannot be held responsible for his arrested development.

Frank, SHUT UP AND HIT!

joecrede
02-23-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by EnricoPallazzo
Frank, SHUT UP AND HIT!

Same goes for Konerko.

EnricoPallazzo
02-23-2003, 08:04 PM
Amen joe

FanOf14
02-23-2003, 08:06 PM
Same goes for Konerko.

What exactly did Konerko say (you know, sometime THIS year) to deserve that?

joecrede
02-23-2003, 08:07 PM
joecrede - what part of "let it go" don't you understand? It was somehere between 6 and 8 months ago and Konerko has repeatedly appologized, what else is he supposed to do get down on his hands and knees and beg? If Thomas really wants a WS ring, he will shut his mouth, get over the past and produce on the field. Bringing up old issues will only lead to fights in the clubhouse and the Sox really don't need that right now when they have a team that could get them to the playoffs.

Like I said it's over now that Thomas had his say, but to expect Thomas, or anyone else for that matter, to not respond to Konerko's public criticism is unrealistic in my opinion.

FanOf14
02-23-2003, 08:11 PM
Like I said it's over now that Thomas had his say, but to expect Thomas, or anyone else for that matter, to not respond to Konerko's public criticism is unrealistic in my opinion.

If it was so important to respond, why did he wait 6-8 months to do so? Look, to be honest, I couldn't care less what is said by either to either or where it is said, but to spout off now, will screw up team chemistry. With a team like this (a team that has potential to be special), is it really necessary to mouth off and start things off on a bad foot?

joecrede
02-23-2003, 08:12 PM
What exactly did Konerko say (you know, sometime THIS year) to deserve that?

The year is young. I'm sure the self-promoter will pipe up before it's over. :)

FanOf14
02-23-2003, 08:17 PM
The year is young. I'm sure the self-promoter will pipe up before it's over. :)

Just as I am sure Thomas will also mouth off again...

joecrede
02-23-2003, 08:25 PM
If it was so important to respond, why did he wait 6-8 months to do so? Look, to be honest, I couldn't care less what is said by either to either or where it is said, but to spout off now, will screw up team chemistry. With a team like this (a team that has potential to be special), is it really necessary to mouth off and start things off on a bad foot?

Team chemistry is as good as the next day's starting pitcher. I didn't hear a word about Ritchie being a bad guy in the clubhouse, but we all know what he contributed last year.

Daver
02-23-2003, 08:31 PM
Team chemistry is as good as the next day's starting pitcher.

I've said it before and I will say it again,if you want chemistry have Josh Paul carry a bunsen burner around in the dugout,at least he justifies a roster spot that way,because he adds "chemistry".

SoxFan14
02-24-2003, 10:32 AM
Self-promoter? Is that what you call team leaders now? Konerko has made ONE mistake in the past 2 years.....ONE. Frank Thomas, meanwhile, has been causing problem after problem, and always looks to put the blame on someone else.

It's Konerko's fault now that the media asked him a question regarding Frank? Sure, if he could have said "no comment", but he didn't and he learned from that now. But if FT wasn't such a cry baby and doing stupid **** all the time then the media wouldn't have had a reason to ask questions about him.

At 26 years old, Konerko is way more mature then Frank Thomas ever will be. FT needs to start acting like an adult and putting more focus on baseball.

joecrede
02-24-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by SoxFan14
Self-promoter? Is that what you call team leaders now?
Konerko has made ONE mistake in the past 2 years.....ONE. Frank Thomas, meanwhile, has been causing problem after problem, and always looks to put the blame on someone else.

Whatever sins Thomas committed against his teammates in that clubhouse last year paled in comparison to what Konerko did by singling him out as being something less than a great teammate to the media. Predictably, he's been heralded for doing so which is where the self-promotion comes in.

FT needs to start acting like an adult and putting more focus on baseball.

Why?

Kilroy
02-24-2003, 11:51 AM
Come on. You all know that if Thomas had just said "No comment", it would have been reported as "Thomas said "no comment" suggesting that there's still some lingering issue between him and Konerko."

They will find a way to make the Sox look bad, and Thomas especially.

SoxFan14
02-24-2003, 04:28 PM
joecrede, do you really need to ask why Frank Thomas needs to start acting like more of an adult and putting more focus on baseball? Let's see, maybe so that there's unity in the clubhouse (which does go a long way), or maybe so we don't have to sit through another year of watching him pop up or strike in every at bat? Or maybe because when he's hitting well that's the only time he's ever happy?

None of this will get accomplished if he keeps his head stuck up his ass. THAT'S why he needs to grow up and put more focus on baseball.

RKMeibalane
02-24-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Come on. You all know that if Thomas had just said "No comment", it would have been reported as "Thomas said "no comment" suggesting that there's still some lingering issue between him and Konerko."

They will find a way to make the Sox look bad, and Thomas especially.

Agreed. The media was waiting for something like this. It's too bad Frank was stupid enough to give them the cannon fodder they needed to create a stir.