PDA

View Full Version : Thomas' comments

StepsInSC
02-22-2003, 07:53 PM
Not sure if it might have been posted earlier, I looked but didn't see anything about it.

Anyways the jist of it is he's still upset about the contract, but what'd ya expect?

"I won't hit .250 again," said Thomas phew

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=531&e=7&cid=531&u=/ap/20030223/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bba_white_sox_thomas

hose
02-22-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Not sure if it might have been posted earlier, I looked but didn't see anything about it.

Anyways the jist of it is he's still upset about the contract, but what'd ya expect?

"I won't hit .250 again," said Thomas phew

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=531&e=7&cid=531&u=/ap/20030223/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bba_white_sox_thomas

As I am typing this Frank is getting ripped on the Score, which is one of the local sports radio shows.

I'm sure the papers will be ripping him tomorrow.

ohalloran
02-22-2003, 08:12 PM
Sounds like if Frank bounces back like we all want this year. Next year he may be somewhere else.
P.S. He must live quite a lifestyle.

DrCrawdad
02-22-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by ohalloran
Sounds like if Frank bounces back like we all want this year. Next year he may be somewhere else.
P.S. He must live quite a lifestyle.

A lot will of course depend on how well Frank does this season. But Frank should have learned over this off season that there isn't much demand for DHs. I fully expect though that if Frank does well Frank will explore the market, and get offers from Boston or a couple other AL teams but in the end the Sox will do what it takes to keep Frank.

The deal Frank signed with the team option of the so-called "Diminished Skills Clause" was one that perfectly fine when Frank agreed to it. If Frank didn't like it then, he shouldn't have signed it.

- DrCrawdad.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-22-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
A lot will of course depend on how well Frank does this season. But Frank should have learned over this off season that there isn't much demand for DHs. I fully expect though that if Frank does well Frank will explore the market, and get offers from Boston or a couple other AL teams but in the end the Sox will do what it takes to keep Frank.

The deal Frank signed with the team option of the so-called "Diminished Skills Clause" was one that perfectly fine when Frank agreed to it. If Frank didn't like it then, he shouldn't have signed it.

It's funny. There is only one other guy with the Sox you can always count on to stick his foot in his mouth more consistently than Frank Thomas.

:reinsy
<whistling>

duke of dorwood
02-22-2003, 09:56 PM
The SCORE-warts radio 670-the #1 reason NOT to speak to the press. I still cant believe anyone would have signed a contract with that clause in it.

RedPinStripes
02-22-2003, 11:13 PM
By Thomas' comments, it sure seems like he wants to take advantage of the "new" contract. He wants to play more 1b and beef his numbers up. Watch, thomas will put up monster numbers and demand at least what he was getting or get more elsewhere. Chances are it will be elsewhere.

Frank who?

TornLabrum
02-22-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
By Thomas' comments, it sure seems like he wants to take advantage of the "new" contract. He wants to play more 1b and beef his numbers up. Watch, thomas will put up monster numbers and demand at least what he was getting or get more elsewhere. Chances are it will be elsewhere.

Frank who?

So what did Frank actually say? It seems to me that he was probably asked what he thought about his new deal and he said that he didn't like the fact that the Sox invoked the diminished skills clause when he was coming off an injury (true) and that this contract is a whole lot worse for him (overall) than the last one (also true) even with the incentives.

He also said he's not going to worry about that or about Paul Konerko, or about anything else, and that he's going to prove that he's still the same player he was through most of the '90s and in 2000. Anything wrong with that?

Anything wrong with his using some excuse (say money) to psych himself to perform at his old level?

Now let's talk about how Sammy Sosa somehow transformed showing up on time for camp for the first time in years to "coming early."

Bmr31
02-22-2003, 11:54 PM
awwwwwwwwwww poor Frank.

chisox06
02-22-2003, 11:56 PM
Frank, shut up already about how you feel "mistreated" and play the damn game. Anyone that gets paid 5 mil a year for being a .252 hitter should consider himself lucky.

If he doesn't like the contract, he shouldn't have signed it. Also, the very fact that he still has to talk about Konerko's comments about what he said last year is not only ridiculous, it's immature. Frank was in a terrible slump and when your in the middle on the lineup, that can hurt a team big time, and if you perfom the way you should, you will never have to worry about "why" you were takin' out of the lineup, or "how" you were mistreated. When you don't comply with what your paid to do, you can't gripe over the organization taking you out. A team should be concerned with winning and not concerned that they may have hurt poor Frank's feelings, boo-hoo.

We all know the old slogan "what have you done for me lately." In Frank Thomas' case all he has done lately is made numerous attempts to disrupt that the chemistry of the team, and completely isololate himself from anything that has to do with a team concept.

"It's a slap in the face, Ive earned the right to be at a certain level and Im not there anymore". Well Frank, your right about one thing, it is a slap in the face, and a well deserved one. Please explain how you have earned the right to be at a certain level when you yourself signed the contract with the diminished skills clause in it, and over the past 2 years you haven proven to fact that yes indeed, your skills have diminshed. He's right hes "not there anymore", and for a player to get paid only about a mil less than Ordonez (a hitter second in the league in RBI's) and 1.2 mil more than Paul Konerko I have no idea how he feels that what has happened to him is unjustified. If HE played the way we all have seen him, he wouldnt be in his poistion, but he hasn't and he complains about 5 mil a year, give me a break.

I'll be as happy as anyone if Frank comes back with a vengeance this year (which I have faith that hes more than capable). If Frank hits .300, 100+ RBI's, 30+ HR's than its more than apparant that he can still be one of the most dominant players in the league, and guess what, there are incentives in his contract that awards him for it.

RedPinStripes
02-22-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
So what did Frank actually say? It seems to me that he was probably asked what he thought about his new deal and he said that he didn't like the fact that the Sox invoked the diminished skills clause when he was coming off an injury (true) and that this contract is a whole lot worse for him (overall) than the last one (also true) even with the incentives.

He also said he's not going to worry about that or about Paul Konerko, or about anything else, and that he's going to prove that he's still the same player he was through most of the '90s and in 2000. Anything wrong with that?

Anything wrong with his using some excuse (say money) to psych himself to perform at his old level?

Now let's talk about how Sammy Sosa somehow transformed showing up on time for camp for the first time in years to "coming early."

It's clear Thomas and KW dont get along at all. KW doesnt want him on this team. And Eventhough Frank says he's not going to worry about it, we all know he took the DSC as a big slap in the face. If he hits .330 with 40+hr and 120 rbi, do you expect him to stay here for less then his old contract? Jerry wont give him a new contract, but the Dodgers will.

RedPinStripes
02-23-2003, 12:01 AM

What Sosa meant by that was, the camera crew had to come earlier then usual. That self promoting ******* wont dare walk through the gates unless he sees the ESPN van. And he's "OSTOMISTIC" about the coob this year.

nut_stock
02-23-2003, 12:26 AM
I'm not offended by Frank's comments, although personally I don't know why he's talking to the press at all at this point. People are reading too far in to this.

And I just love how the article says that Frank was 10 minutes late, then later on saying he had a medical excuse....Why is this news??? It's like they want you tho get angry at Frank first, then cover their ass by saying it was excused, It's almost like They're trying to play mind games.

Now, I don't know why Frank brought up Konerko, but who really cares? Neither one of them are saying its affecting the clubhouse.

670 the Score reads this stuff and just speculates the hell out of it. Whether they should or not, The Sox don't get the luxury of a hometown spin.

Post 500!

TornLabrum
02-23-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
I'm not offended by Frank's comments, although personally I don't know why he's talking to the press at all at this point. People are reading too far in to this.

And I just love how the article says that Frank was 10 minutes late, then later on saying he had a medical excuse....Why is this news??? It's like they want you tho get angry at Frank first, then cover their ass by saying it was excused, It's almost like They're trying to play mind games.

Now, I don't know why Frank brought up Konerko, but who really cares? Neither one of them are saying its affecting the clubhouse.

670 the Score reads this stuff and just speculates the hell out of it. Whether they should or not, The Sox don't get the luxury of a hometown spin.

Post 500!

I thought the mention much later that Thomas was late because he was in for treatment was just one more example of the BS we have to put up with. (I'll have a lot more to say about this in the article I submitted to PHG today (before this article came out, believe it or not). I'll have something to say there, too, about the treatment of Thomas vs. Sosa by the media.

My guess is that Thomas mentioned Konerko because a reporter asked, "How are things between you and Paul Konerko these days?" In fact I'm willing to bet that everything Frank had to say was in direct response to a question from one of the gentlemen of the press.

One of the high points I heard this evening on The Score was Jack Ofman (not his real name, but you should get the picture) saying that he asked Jerry Manuel about Frank's being a pain in the ass. Please note that Ofman is a self-proclaimed Cubs fan.

The difference in treatment by the media of this town's two superstars is a farce.

TheBigHurt
02-23-2003, 12:57 AM
FRANK is right ya know i wont hit 250 ever again

hold2dibber
02-23-2003, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by chisox06
Frank, shut up already about how you feel "mistreated" and play the damn game. Anyone that gets paid 5 mil a year for being a .252 hitter should consider himself lucky.

Well, actually, he's a career .314 hitter. He hit .252 ONE year. I don't disagree that no MLB player has any legitimate claim to having it rough, but the guy has been nothing short of stellar through out his career. He is not a .252 hitter; he's without question one of the best hitters of the last 12 years. He may be a block head, but I find it offensive for Sox fans especially to discount what he's done over the last 12 years because he's had some struggles.

If he doesn't like the contract, he shouldn't have signed it. Also, the very fact that he still has to talk about Konerko's comments about what he said last year is not only ridiculous, it's immature. Frank was in a terrible slump and when your in the middle on the lineup, that can hurt a team big time, and if you perfom the way you should, you will never have to worry about "why" you were takin' out of the lineup, or "how" you were mistreated. When you don't comply with what your paid to do, you can't gripe over the organization taking you out. A team should be concerned with winning and not concerned that they may have hurt poor Frank's feelings, boo-hoo.

Agreed, except the comment regarding his talking about PK - I'm quite certain that was the result of his being asked about that incident. If he hadn't talked about the incident, he would have been ripped for being non-responsive.

We all know the old slogan "what have you done for me lately." In Frank Thomas' case all he has done lately is made numerous attempts to disrupt that the chemistry of the team, and completely isololate himself from anything that has to do with a team concept.

First, the "what have you done for me lately" approach is b.s. Frank has been a historically great hitter over his career. Moreover, he had a lousy year last year, but was still one of the best DHs in baseball. I'm sorry, but 28 HRs and 92 RBIs, with an OBP of over .370 isn't bad at all. And his last full year before that ('00) he was absolutely dominant. Also, to suggest that he has "attempted" to disrupt the chemistry of the team is crap. The team was already in the sh*tter when he had his melt down during the All-Star break last year. His admittedly lousy attitude was not the cause of the team's failure, but may have been a result of it.

"It's a slap in the face, Ive earned the right to be at a certain level and Im not there anymore". Well Frank, your right about one thing, it is a slap in the face, and a well deserved one. Please explain how you have earned the right to be at a certain level when you yourself signed the contract with the diminished skills clause in it, and over the past 2 years you haven proven to fact that yes indeed, your skills have diminshed. He's right hes "not there anymore", and for a player to get paid only about a mil less than Ordonez (a hitter second in the league in RBI's) and 1.2 mil more than Paul Konerko I have no idea how he feels that what has happened to him is unjustified. If HE played the way we all have seen him, he wouldnt be in his poistion, but he hasn't and he complains about 5 mil a year, give me a break.

Frank is stupid for complaining. From a PR perspective, it's just aboslutely foolish. But that's not a surprise, because just about every time he opens his mouth, he promptly shoves his foot into it. I am repeatedly astounded by how he shoots himself in the foot with the press. (I am not ashamed to mix my foot metaphors!) Today is yet another example in a long, long history of such behavior. But he got screwed by the diminished skills clause. It's his own damn fault (and the fault of his advisers) for signing that deal, but he still got screwed by it.

TheBigHurt
02-23-2003, 01:24 AM

Post 500!

1 post away from being a wsi church elder...instead of a wsi regular

TheBigHurt
02-23-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
1 post away from being a wsi church elder...instead of a wsi regular

WSI Personality EXCUSE ME FOR THE ERROR

Lip Man 1
02-23-2003, 01:32 AM
Of all the comments that I've read and heard the one by Jose' Valentin interested me the most.

When a team guy like Jose' makes that kind of comment about Frank, you have to think the divisions in the clubhouse are a lot deeper then has been reported.

This is going to be an interesting season. If Frank doesn't hit, like everyone thinks he will, this season could go down in flames by June (again.)

Maybe the Twins were right when they made those comments about the Sox not being a 'team." This is certainly going to bear watching.

Lip

TheBigHurt
02-23-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

- DrCrawdad.
YEAH i think ya right, but i think big frank is just mad because he felt unwanted

hose
02-23-2003, 08:40 AM
I thought the mention much later that Thomas was late because he was in for treatment was just one more example of the BS we have to put up with. (I'll have a lot more to say about this in the article I submitted to PHG today (before this article came out, believe it or not). I'll have something to say there, too, about the treatment of Thomas vs. Sosa by the media.

My guess is that Thomas mentioned Konerko because a reporter asked, "How are things between you and Paul Konerko these days?" In fact I'm willing to bet that everything Frank had to say was in direct response to a question from one of the gentlemen of the press.

One of the high points I heard this evening on The Score was Jack Ofman (not his real name, but you should get the picture) saying that he asked Jerry Manuel about Frank's being a pain in the ass. Please note that Ofman is a self-proclaimed Cubs fan.

The difference in treatment by the media of this town's two superstars is a farce.

I heard Ofman's RAVING reviews of Sammy Sosa's new team leader approach last week.

I am not exaggerating when describing Ofman as giddy as a grade school girl meeting the present day Tiger Beat idol.
Ofman has absolutely no professionalism when it comes to being objective about Chicago baseball.

gosox41
02-23-2003, 09:42 AM

Post 500!

I personally think the media has it in for Frank. Sure, Frank has said some stupid things in his career, but so have a lot of other famous athletes.

I agree with pretty much everything Frank said in his latest interview. He was probably asked specifically about Konerko and said those things should be kept in the club house, which is true. Unitl yesterday, Frank never said word one about Paul's sulking for sitting out interleague play a few years ago. It stayed in the clubhouse.

I also agree that Frank desreved some explanation from Manuel as to why he was being benched for 3 games. It would show Frank a little respect. Maybe if Manuel had gone out of his way to approach Frank, Paul woudn't be bellyaching to the media. it shows me that Manuel is not a good manager. A manager has basically 2 jobs: strategy and player relations. In terms of strategy we all know how Manuel is lousy at that with all his tinkering. It's clear he lacks the ability to relate to playters. He should have the balls to approach players and keep the lines of comminication open. It's part of his job.

I've always thought WIlliams had it in for Frank. I still think Kenny is a frustrated, ex-jock. Kenny should be the last guy to bad mouth a player. I remember reading last summer when the Sox were trading everyone that KW had bad mouthed his players to other GM's. How are you supposed to get maximum value for that? It's probably why the Sox wound up with a Joe Adkins for Ray Durham. Kenny let's his emotions take control. He preached this 'us against them attitude' against the media but he is free to use it as a source to bad mouth Frank during the offseason.

Obviously Frank has his share of faults but I think there is a lot that goes on with him that he doesn't bitch about. Look who his bosses are: Manuel, Williams, and Reinsdorf. The all don't have much credibility with me and every time Frank's toughness has been questioned, they've looked bad. From his bicep injury to the ankle injury the media spin was that Frank was jaking it and not carrying when the guy was legitimately hurt.

Bob

harwar
02-23-2003, 09:58 AM
The Chicago media has been foaming at the mouth in anticipation of getting to bait Big Frank again.They want him to say these things because it makes their job easier and hurts the White Sox.Frank has never been a lovable character,just a pure joy to watch hit when hes' really in a groove.Now,there's no question that Frank is a very angry man.If he feeds off that anger gets off to a good start,we'll all be fine.If,however;he struggles out of the gate,gets more and more frustrated,his anger may consume him and it may all come to a head,leading to possible blows in the clubhouse.Thats not unprecedented,as we remember Frank and Robin in the dugout years ago.

joecrede
02-23-2003, 10:05 AM

My favorite Chicago media gripe against Thomas is when they get on him for leaving the '97 All-Star game early. Ofman brought this up again yesterday. It's never said that the Sox and Brewers were the only teams playing the next day. In fact it was a doubleheader.

Tell me what is wrong with a guy leaving an All-Star game after he's been taken out in order to get back for his team's game the next day?

Contrast this to Sosa last year for instance. Sammy missed the three games leading up to the break to be with his wife who was in the hospital, but managed to make it to Milwaukee, after she was released, in order to compete in the HR hitting contest. There was nary a peep in the media about this.

EnricoPallazzo
02-23-2003, 11:15 AM
Here we go again!

How many times does this have to happen before it occurs to Frank that he has to be careful about his responses to the media. He really should just take the Eddie Murray/Steve Carlton route here and not talk to the media period. No good has ever come of it and that will not change. Every time he responds, his immaturity and selfishness become apparent again.

But I don't care about that. I only care that he hits.

As for Sammy, if he had the same kind of seasons Frank has had 3 of the last 4 years the media would try to do the same thing they do with Frank. But Sammy's lack of command of the English language also makes it much more difficult for him to say exactly the wrong thing at the wrong time, even though he seems as immature and selfish as Frank

Frank! Just shut up and hit.

gogosoxgogo
02-23-2003, 11:18 AM
I wish Frank would just keep his mouth shut. We have to go through this kind of crap every spring now. Frank's a great guy, but he makes some really stupid comments, then the media gets all over him about it, and he goes and pouts because he's too sensitive. I really wish that Frank woulnd't talk to the media at all, it does him so much more harm than good. Every year we have to go through this. Stop it Frank.

Juan Pizarro
02-23-2003, 12:35 PM
So he's the same old Frank. Humility just isn't in his character, it seems.
But in the end, does it really matter? Do we care what stokes his fire?
As long as he stokes that fire, rips the crap out of the ball and gets on base from .370 to .400, does it make any difference how?
Those runs all count for the team we seem to like a lot.
There could be collateral damage with Konerko, but I don't think it necessarily has to.

TheBigHurt
02-23-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro
So he's the same old Frank. Humility just isn't in his character, it seems.
But in the end, does it really matter? Do we care what stokes his fire?
As long as he stokes that fire, rips the crap out of the ball and gets on base from .370 to .400, does it make any difference how?
Those runs all count for the team we seem to like a lot.
There could be collateral damage with Konerko, but I don't think it necessarily has to.

couldnt agree more, this isnt new.... frank ranting and the media blowng it up.....just play the games....and by may this will all be forgotten

BIG FRANK didnt get famous by saying things its how he performed on the field that got him famous