PDA

View Full Version : The Debate on Whether or Not Chicago Can Support 2 Teams...

Unregistered
02-22-2003, 05:01 PM
As Per Rob Neyer's latest "mailbag" column, a letter he printed was:
Rob, I'm reading your column about a team muscling into the Orioles' part of the country, and you mention that Chicago and the Bay Area each have two teams, and that both markets support two teams just fine. As you wrote,

Both of those metropolises are roughly comparable to Baltimore-D.C., and there's every reason to think that both can support two baseball teams, especially if the teams are managed competently.

I don't know if I agree. Have you seen the "crowd" at a White Sox game lately? While White Sox fans claim to be more "knowledgeable" fans than Cubs fans, they don't show it by going to the ballpark. And the A's are always selling off their greatest talents because they can't afford to keep them. In fact, I've heard the A's actually referred to as a "small-market team," and one could argue that the White Sox behave like a small-market team as well. I'm not sure that one can really say that these markets are "supporting" two teams apiece. The teams are there, and they don't look like they're gonna go bankrupt any time soon, but to say they support them, may be stretching it. Neyer's Rebuttal (http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/neyer_rob/1512272.html)
Good to see that Neyer can focus on the winning on the South Side, and look past some of the low attendance numbers...

hose
02-22-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
As Per Rob Neyer's latest "mailbag" column, a letter he printed was:
Neyer's Rebuttal (http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/neyer_rob/1512272.html)
Good to see that Neyer can focus on the winning on the South Side, and look past some of the low attendance numbers...

In my opinion Chicago is a one team baseball town.

Send the Cubs to Tacoma.

jortafan
02-22-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by hose
In my opinion Chicago is a one team baseball town.

Send the Cubs to Tacoma.

Now what did Tacoma ever do to you that was so bad as to deserve the Cubs?

PaleHoseGeorge
02-22-2003, 08:38 PM
Boy, it's not too obvious that bozo from Bloomington was a Flubs fan, was it? Another fan of the lovable losers measuring success by home attendance. Yeah, that's being competitive. Yeah, sure...

LMAO! You think he'll wet his pants when his own team manages back to back winning seasons?

hose
02-22-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
Now what did Tacoma ever do to you that was so bad as to deserve the Cubs?

Okay how about the Paris Cubs ? :D:

TheBigHurt
02-23-2003, 12:09 AM
Okay how about the Paris Cubs ? :D:

How about the Tokoyo Cubs since thats more far away...............

Ziggy S
02-23-2003, 12:41 AM
I thought Japan was our ally. Didn't we do enough damage to the Japanese by nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Ziggy S
02-23-2003, 12:42 AM
Put the North Side Scrubs in Paris as punishment for their Iraq oil deal coverups.

hose
02-23-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt

LOL

I think we are on to something here.

How about if the Cubs play in China? No screen needed, they could use the Great Wall to keep those pesky Mongolian farmers from standing on their roof tops and seeing in.

Chairman Mao bobble head day.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-23-2003, 08:31 AM
LOL

I think we are on to something here.

How about if the Cubs play in China? No screen needed, they could use the Great Wall to keep those pesky Mongolian farmers from standing on their roof tops and seeing in.

Chairman Mao bobble head day.

:lynch&mcfail
"This is a great idea, hose! Can you imagine the attendance we'll achieve in a nation of 1.2 billion? We'll be the most competitive baseball team ever!!!!

"And think how much easier it will be to have 'Cub fan Barbie doll day'! We'll be thousands of miles closer to our source of supply!

"Genius idea. Absolutely genius!!!"

:)

SouthSideHitman
02-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy S
Put the North Side Scrubs in Paris as punishment for their Iraq oil deal coverups.

Better yet, why go to war and lose lives when a far greater punishment to saddam would be the Bhagdad cubs!

soxnut
02-23-2003, 03:41 PM
The Cubs are not a team..................they are a tourist attraction,like Navy Pier. The outcome of a game and the way in which it was played does not matter. As long as the star(Sammy) of the show hits one out.

The White Sox are a team, who like other teams, generate support when they are consistently competitive. With over 8 millionpeople in the Chicagoland area, yeah this town can support a tourist attraction and a baseball team. :D:

cheeses_h_rice
02-23-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Boy, it's not too obvious that bozo from Bloomington was a Flubs fan, was it? Another fan of the lovable losers measuring success by home attendance. Yeah, that's being competitive. Yeah, sure...

What this piss-pants Flubbie fan fails to remember, conveniently enough, is how the Sox were beating the Flubbies in fan attendance bigtime in the early '90s. And naturally he fails to mention which team has been consistently competitive on the field.

But nope, I guess it's all about those ever-important attendance numbers for this moron.

:thankgod

chunk
02-23-2003, 08:07 PM
You know, I damn near fell in love on friday arguing with some cubs fans about this. I was leading a retreat, but we had some downtime, and someone brings up how they hate the yankees. I said I still hate the cubs more then I hate the Yankees, and they just stared at me stunned. They went on to use the attendance, Sosa, AND Carey. I easily put them in their place about all of it, and then one of the co-leaders brought up that it JR was a primary cause of losing Harry and missing out on the '94 season and what not. I was floored to see a good looking girl at a north shore school know her baseball, and know whitesox history.