PDA

View Full Version : Koufax

hose
02-22-2003, 08:56 AM
I feel bad for Sandy Koufax after reading the article about him in today's Tribune.

He is now in a no win situation.

Some of the public will now assume he is gay even though the New York Post apologized and retracted the item .

idseer
02-22-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by hose
I feel bad for Sandy Koufax after reading the article about him in today's Tribune.

He is now in a no win situation.

Some of the public will now assume he is gay even though the New York Post apologized and retracted the item .

have no idea what you're talking about.
how about a link for those who don't have access to the tribune or even READ newspapers?

WinningUgly!
02-22-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by idseer
have no idea what you're talking about.
how about a link for those who don't have access to the tribune or even READ newspapers?

Here ya go. (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0221/1512135.html)

idseer
02-22-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Here ya go. (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0221/1512135.html)

thanks wu.

i don't see why anyone should feel bad for sandy. they SHOULD feel bad for the dodgers losing him as a spokeman and icon.
i wouldn't think it would matter much if there are those who may think he's gay. those who would think that AND lower their opinions of him aren't worth much anyway. those that don't judge everyone else by their sexual inclinations won't have their feelings affected by it one way or another.
i'm just glad to see the man stand by his convictions to the point of telling the dodgers to take a hike. if anything i'm more impressed by him now.

czalgosz
02-22-2003, 01:43 PM
I feel bad for Sandy because he did nothing to deserve this scrutiny. He is no longer actively seeking media attention, and he got burned simply by allowing someone to write a biography about him.

The issue of his sexuality is not important - what is is that Koufax's private life has been made public, when he has made it abundantly clear that he had no wish for that to happen. His trust was betrayed. I don't know the details of his contract with his publisher, but if there is any evidence that they are behind that "leak" to the press, I'm sure they can be sued, and I hope they are.

hose
02-22-2003, 06:59 PM
thanks wu.

i don't see why anyone should feel bad for sandy. they SHOULD feel bad for the dodgers losing him as a spokeman and icon.
i wouldn't think it would matter much if there are those who may think he's gay. those who would think that AND lower their opinions of him aren't worth much anyway. those that don't judge everyone else by their sexual inclinations won't have their feelings affected by it one way or another.
i'm just glad to see the man stand by his convictions to the point of telling the dodgers to take a hike. if anything i'm more impressed by him now.

Get off your soap box.

The issue is Koufax's privacy and a unsubstantial story about him being gay obviously hurt Sandy.

I feel for Koufax the same way I felt for Richard Jewel.

hose
02-23-2003, 08:55 AM
thanks wu.

The reason why Koufax severed ties with the Dodgers is because the owner is Rupert Murdoch who owns the Dodgers, which in turn also controlls News Corp. which owns the New York Post.

The New York Post ran a piece Dec. 19 that intimated Koufax was homosexual.

Koufax mentioned to to a Dodger spokesman that he didn't have problems with the Dodgers or their current or previous management, It's more about News Corp.

Jane Leavy who wrote the biography "Sandy Koufax: A Lefty's Legacy" also was dragged into this mess. The Post mentioned that the author kept her promise to keep the secret that he was gay , but big mouths at the publishing house can't keep from flapping.

Leavy responded by saying , " The item was blatantly unfair, scandalous and contemptible, It was without basis as in so far as it had to do with Sandy or any relationship I had with him professionally. It's not the kind of journalism I practice."

Koufax is going on 68 years old and is from a generation that had different views on homosexuality. Koufax is outraged and is obviously hurt about the story. To just poo poo it as something people have to deal with isn't realistic. I do feel bad for Sandy.

oldcomiskey
02-23-2003, 09:16 AM
homosexual or not--my dad says he was the best ever--Casey Stengel too--who am I to argue with that

hose
02-23-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
homosexual or not--my dad says he was the best ever--Casey Stengel too--who am I to argue with that

The point is not how we feel about it but how Koufax does.

MarkEdward
02-23-2003, 11:18 AM
Isn't Murdoch going to sell the Dodgers very soon anyway? If so, this may be a short lived protest from Koufax.

That still doesn't condone the actions taken by the newspaper.

hose
02-26-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Isn't Murdoch going to sell the Dodgers very soon anyway? If so, this may be a short lived protest from Koufax.

That still doesn't condone the actions taken by the newspaper.

I heard an interview with a NY sportswriter Ira Berkow (sp?) on Chicago Tonight the other day.

The topic of Koufax came up and Berkow said that Sandy left the Dodgers to work for Fred Wilbon, who is the owner of the Mets.

Turns out that Koufax and Wilbon became freinds when they were teammates on their high school baseball team.

The funny part is that Wilbon was the star pitcher while Sandy was the star first baseman. Go figure?