PDA

View Full Version : Random Chicago TV Media Watch

Hangar18
02-21-2003, 07:34 AM
Getting the Idea from the good folks here at wsi, I decided to
RANDOMLY pick an channel to see what sports are being talked about last nite(more specifically, the coverage of the 2 teams)
I decided to watch NBC Channel 5 here. Now what constitutes News? something important right? well, the top stories last nite on chan5 were
1. Niteclub Fire at e2
2. War w Iraq
3. Cubs tickets going on sale
I cant tell you how ridiculous that looked. "People everywhere In Iraq are afraid that if a war begins, there could be damage and deaths everywhere" thanks for that report John. Speaking of Damage and Deaths, Cubs Tickets go on sale...lets Go Live TO Wrigley!!!"
Not only does NBC go LIVE to wrigley field to cover this important world/local event, but when SPorts comes up...they have Peggy Kucinski filing a report/interviewing CUb players (mathews/patterson). as soon as the cub segment was over, quickly went to basketball, and hawks hilites. THAT WAS IT.
Didnt they know the SOX were also in Spring Training???

soxruleEP
02-21-2003, 10:05 AM
There is no such thing as news anymore.

Most of the local newscast are PR packages and promotional stories.

News programs now have two purposes: embedded advertsing and propaganda.

All you have to do is look at the way anti-war protests are covered to see this.

Hullett_Fan
02-21-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by soxruleEP
There is no such thing as news anymore.

Most of the local newscast are PR packages and promotional stories.

News programs now have two purposes: embedded advertsing and propaganda.

All you have to do is look at the way anti-war protests are covered to see this.

Very good point. I do not watch any of the national/local newscasts anymore. BBC is OK and there are plenty of good places on the web.

MRKARNO
02-21-2003, 03:04 PM
I think that you guys would like Fox News Channel. No sports, but they really are the best cable news channel. I don't watch local news any more because it is crap, quite frankly. Also BBC News is no nonsense news, but international news only. Their website is pretty good, same with CNN's. BBC World news is on public television on channel 20 for my cable network (ATT Chicago-normal). Good thing ESPN is not really such a promotional tool like the local channels. Also, ESPN's new site is pretty awesome.

LauraJ14
02-21-2003, 06:17 PM
Well on Wednesday all of the Chicago sports reports that are in Arizona were in Mesa to cover Sammee's arrival.
Brad Palmer from Channel 7 is supposed to be in Tucson now that he's spent the week in Mesa with the Cubs.
Sunday, Corey McPherrin from Fox Sports was in Tucson and he was the only one there. Everyone else needed to be in Mesa to talk to the Messiah (Dusty).
Its annoying because I want to know what's going on with the Sox also not just the stupid Cubs.

gogosoxgogo
02-21-2003, 06:35 PM
I've given up hope on the media. The TV is just as bad as the papers, trust me on that. On the second day of Soxfest, after coming home, I turned to all the major local news networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, and CLTV) to watch their coverage. Some didn't show anything. Some had very little clips. ALL of them showed Frank walking off without talking to the media, following by the news anchor making a negative comment about how bad of a person he is. In all of the cases, there was some type of Cubs coverage, despite Cub Convention being long gone, and no news from them in the recent days. None of the coverage came CLOSE to what the Cubs Convention received. It disqusts me.

On the ESPN note that MRKARNO brought up, I wish ESPN would start a local channel. Call it ESPN Local, or make a permanent ESPN+, whatever they want. Have a local sports center. Bring a whole bunch of player interviews. Allow viewers to call in. Show local games by buying out their rights. I think that would be an awesome idea. We need something to combat the HORRIBLE, and I'd say worse but these are public message boards, CLTV and FOX Sports Net.

Hangar18
02-24-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by LauraJ14
Well on Wednesday all of the Chicago sports reports that are in Arizona were in Mesa to cover Sammee's arrival.
Brad Palmer from Channel 7 is supposed to be in Tucson now that he's spent the week in Mesa with the Cubs.
Sunday, Corey McPherrin from Fox Sports was in Tucson and he was the only one there. Everyone else needed to be in Mesa to talk to the Messiah (Dusty).
Its annoying because I want to know what's going on with the Sox also not just the stupid Cubs.

Have I mentioned how much I HATE THE F***** Chicago Media?
did someone let them know theres a 2nd Team in chicago?