PDA

View Full Version : Paul Coleman over the Big Hurt?

nut_stock
02-21-2003, 12:08 AM
I was just thinking of a conversation I had with my ex-boss who is a Cardinals fan. Anyway, I had brought up Frank Thomas' name for some reason and then he interrupts...'Man he should have been a cardinal....I can't believe they chose Paul Coleman over Frank Thomas.. Anyways, I kinda teased him about Coleman never amounting to squat, then I asked him, "Ok, assume you did draft Frank, that probably means that they would have never traded for McGwire, would you still want Frank?"
So he thought about it, and finally said "Yes, Mark did have 2 special years but Frank was a stud for a long time".

Anyways it kind of suprised me a little, (Don't get me wrong ,I think he's absolutely right.)

But that got me thinking, what would the last 13 years have been like if we hadn't drafted Frank?

Bmr31
02-21-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
I was just thinking of a conversation I had with my ex-boss who is a Cardinals fan. Anyway, I had brought up Frank Thomas' name for some reason and then he interrupts...'Man he should have been a cardinal....I can't believe they chose Paul Coleman over Frank Thomas.. Anyways, I kinda teased him about Coleman never amounting to squat, then I asked him, "Ok, assume you did draft Frank, that probably means that they would have never traded for McGwire, would you still want Frank?"
So he thought about it, and finally said "Yes, Mark did have 2 special years but Frank was a stud for a long time".

Anyways it kind of suprised me a little, (Don't get me wrong ,I think he's absolutely right.)

But that got me thinking, what would the last 13 years have been like if we hadn't drafted Frank?

We would have no world series rings, just like we have now.

nut_stock
02-21-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
We would have no world series rings, just like we have now.

probably so, but would we have been so good in 93?

RKMeibalane
02-21-2003, 09:51 AM
The Sox would not have been to the post-season at all. That's the difference.

idseer
02-21-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

well now, doesn't that depend on who the sox would have gotten instead?

RKMeibalane
02-21-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by idseer
well now, doesn't that depend on who the sox would have gotten instead?

Perhaps. I don't have any documents that show the draft order for Frank's year, so I'm not sure whom they might have taken. Perhaps if Jeff Bagwell had been availible, they could have taken him, but I really don't know. Someone like Bagwell could have helped the Sox reach the post-season.

TheBigHurt
02-21-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock

the big hurt got many including me to be sox fans...without him this team would be the royals and tigers of today

Hangar18
02-21-2003, 11:26 AM
That is too Funny. Im at work right now, and a couple desks
over, is a Cardinal Fan. I just told him about this and he just SIGHED. man im glad we didnt take Paul Coleman.
by the way, our row of desks goes like this. Cardinal fan, cub fan, ME, newguy who is a SOx Fan. Cub fan doesnt know what hes in store for

Bmr31
02-21-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

This statement is totally false. You have no idea what would have happened. The entire dynamics of the whitesox organization would be different. The possibilites of what could have happened are endless,and not all of them are worse.

voodoochile
02-21-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
This statement is totally false. You have no idea what would have happened. The entire dynamics of the whitesox organization would be different. The possibilites of what could have happened are endless,and not all of them are worse.

True, and the Sox probably would have been more anxious to find a power hitting 1B in the early and mid-90's. If Jack Mcdowell was telling the truth (and I can't see why he would lie) - maybe the Sox end up with Big Mac instead of the Big Hurt and then that feel good HR chase from a few years ago is an All-Chicago story.

As to winning and losing, nobody really knows. Taking Frank off the team makes it worse, but only if that is ALL that happens.

Hangar18
02-21-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
True, and the Sox probably would have been more anxious to find a power hitting 1B in the early and mid-90's. If Jack Mcdowell was telling the truth (and I can't see why he would lie) - maybe the Sox end up with Big Mac instead of the Big Hurt and then that feel good HR chase from a few years ago is an All-Chicago story.

As to winning and losing, nobody really knows. Taking Frank off the team makes it worse, but only if that is ALL that happens.

wow, what a great point. Can you Imagine McGwire here instead of Frank? Man.....
the media wouldve ignored Mac and just talked about Sammy that year I guess.

jeremyb1
02-21-2003, 01:45 PM
the only other notable major league players that went in the first round the year frank was drafted were charles johnson (10), cal eldred (17), mo vaughn (23), and chuck knobloch (25).

Iwritecode
02-21-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Damn... you beat me to it. I was just about to mention that point. It would've made that homerun chase quite interesting.