PDA

View Full Version : Corey Bonds, Corey Sosa

DrCrawdad
02-20-2003, 06:38 PM
"...Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds... Actually, I think I did a little bit better than them in their first full year in the big leagues compared to mine..."

This is interesting to me, and Barry “Rah-Rah-Cubbies” Miles didn’t contest Corey’s comparison.

Corey had 173AB’s, over two seasons, before his first "full" season in ’02. IMO comparing Corey’s first full season with Bonds and Sosa’s very first seasons is misleading.

I believe that it's more reasonable to compare Corey’s 3rd year with Bonds and Sosa’s 2nd years.

Corey led Bonds in only one positive stat, hits. Corey led Bonds in K’s by 54 K’s!

In Sosa’s 2nd year, Sosa out produced Patterson in Runs, Triples, HR’s, RBI’s, Stolen Bases & Slugging Percent. Sosa also struck-out 8 more times.

To rephrase a former VP candidate, I know Barry Bonds. And you, Corey Patterson, are no Barry Bonds!

- DrCrawdad.

DrCrawdad
02-20-2003, 06:39 PM
PATTERSON

DrCrawdad
02-20-2003, 06:41 PM
BONDS

DrCrawdad
02-20-2003, 06:42 PM
SOSA

czalgosz
02-20-2003, 07:01 PM
Jeez, I didn't believe how awful Patterson was last year, until I saw it in black and white just now.

Sosa sucked when he was with the Sox. He wasn't even league-average.

And if you adjust for the league and era in which Bonds played when he broke in, his rookie year was miles ahead of Patterson.

kermittheefrog
02-20-2003, 07:13 PM
Here's the thing. Sosa and Patterson raw numbers are comparable if you look at their first full seasons. But Sosa was a full year younger which is very important. Also important is that there was a lot less offense in the league at the time. So Sosa's first year is a lot more impressive. Bonds blows both of them away by actually being a decent player at age 21.

DrCrawdad
02-21-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Here's the thing. Sosa and Patterson raw numbers are comparable if you look at their first full seasons. But Sosa was a full year younger which is very important. Also important is that there was a lot less offense in the league at the time. So Sosa's first year is a lot more impressive. Bonds blows both of them away by actually being a decent player at age 21.

Bonds at 22 yrs old was outstanding, far better than Patterson.

Patterson may end up being a fine player, but at least so far he’s not lived up to the hype. Although for a couple of months last season Patterson was doing well. In fact during that hot streak quite a few Cub fans were talking about Patterson being a candidate for ROY. Of course the AL ROY went to a hyped Cub prospect, hum I mean former Cub prospect.

- DrCrawdad.

czalgosz
02-21-2003, 12:41 PM
Noone would even know about his hot streak if it didn't happen in April. The fact that he had a great month of April (before pitchers figured out how to get him out) only highlights how atrocious the rest of his season was.

Classic erroneous assumption #1 - hot April = breakthrough season. You especially have to be careful when looking at rookies.

Doc is right, Patterson may yet turn out to be the real deal. But until he starts producing, he better not compare himself to Sosa or Bonds.