PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite song played by Nancy Faust?

Stoky44
02-20-2003, 01:03 PM
So it is a bright sunny day out and I am thinking if it were only a bit warmer it could be baseball weather. I miss baseball so much and can't wait for the season. But as I was sitting here on my computer listening to the song Classical Gas and I couldn't help thinking about baseball at Comiskey Park (both old and ne... I mean the "cell"). But anyway to make this short I am wondering WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SONG NANCY PLAYS ON THE ORGAN AND MAKES YOU THINK OF WHITE SOX BASEBALL? OR WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SONG PLAYED AT THE PARK AND MAKES YOU ALWAYS THINK BASEBALL?

I don't know why, but I love the song "Classical Gas" and it always makes me think of Comiskey.

dllrbll7
02-20-2003, 01:44 PM
I think the one that we all LOVE to hear is Nah, nah, nah hey hey hey goodbye. Dont know the actual name but i think you all know what im talkin about.

Juan Pizarro
02-20-2003, 02:06 PM
Don't have a particular favorite -- I do like how she plays "Bang on the Drum All Day" -- but I wish they'd let Nancy play more.

The piped-in pop and rock stuff is lame, and it's way too loud, especially in the upper deck.

Back to the future: More organ, more Nancy!

duke of dorwood
02-20-2003, 02:22 PM
Used to be Runaround Sue-that stopped with all the recorded music being played. Classical Gas does it for me-really showcases her talent.

Foulke You
02-20-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
I think the one that we all LOVE to hear is Nah, nah, nah hey hey hey goodbye. Dont know the actual name but i think you all know what im talkin about.

Nothin' better than "nah, nah, nah, nah, hey, hey, hey, goodbye" because it means a White Sox Winner, or a pitcher just got knocked out of the game by our offense. It is such a great song and is utterly petty and drives the opposition's fans nuts!

Fisk Fan
02-20-2003, 02:58 PM
The piped-in pop and rock stuff is lame, and it's way too loud, especially in the upper deck.

They should get rid of the piped in music all together. They play crappy selections that always sound poorly looped, plus they have one of the best organists around. I would let Nancy do her thing for all 81 games.

Hullett_Fan
02-20-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
They should get rid of the piped in music all together. They play crappy selections that always sound poorly looped, plus they have one of the best organists around. I would let Nancy do her thing for all 81 games.

I agree. I wrote an e-mail to Rob "Wonderboy" Gallas 2 years ago about this subject. Said I hated the piped in stuff and wanted to hear more Nancy. And you may notice that they play the piped in stuff at a louder level then they do for Nancy.

Rob never wrote me back.

:gallas

"Give the fans what they want? That's not in my job description!...Oh, wait it is...but JR doesn't mind if I sit on my ass instead."

SoxRulecubsdrool
02-20-2003, 04:17 PM
It was a few years ago and we were pounding beers before a beautiful Saturday afternoon game. We had lucked out and gotten some Diamond Suite tickets so I was just kind of leaning forward over the railing, consuming and taking in the scenery. Then I noticed Nancy was playing a passage from Roundabout by Yes. It has always stuck in my mind since then. Every game I always keep an ear open for it but haven't heard it again. What an afternoon. A perfect song for the organ.
:gulp:

Hangar18
02-20-2003, 05:01 PM
She plays a cover of a song from a band called Redbone, cant remember the song title, but was their big hit in the 70's.
it kicks ass though her version. Shes the best kept secret in baseball.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-20-2003, 05:07 PM
Oh, this was easy for me. Thanks to Nancy, Sox Park is the only ballpark you'll ever hear play "In La Gadda Da Vida." She has even played it for me and my 6 y.o. daughter when we come to visit her at the booth.

WSI has an audio clip you can listen to here (http://whitesoxinteractive.com//InLaGaddaDaVida.rm) .

I don't care what the media says. We've got the coolest ballpark in the majors!

34rancher
02-20-2003, 05:09 PM
Back in the day when she would play Madonna when Canseco would come up. That was a personal fav.

mike squires
02-20-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Used to be Runaround Sue-that stopped with all the recorded music being played. Classical Gas does it for me-really showcases her talent.

Ah, Duke, you are righto!!! She used to play Run around Sue during a pitching change. There was nothing sweeter than listening to 30,000 SOx fans singing...wo, wo, wooooo, ohhhh ohhhh oh....it used to give me goose bumps and little tears to my eyes. Sunny weekend afternoons I remember listening to that as a kid hoping they wouldn't break into commercial before she did that.

I also used to love those rallys with a double in the corner that scored a run or two. She used to play that (wasn't it Oak Ridge Boys) play me that mountain music. Man, why must things change.

BearSox
02-20-2003, 05:40 PM
Every game i've been to i've heard "You Can Dance If You Want To" by Men at Work played by Nancy. Its a good inbetween inning song in my opinion. My second favorite would have to be Roseanna by Toto.

Daver
02-20-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by BearSox
Every game i've been to i've heard "You Can Dance If You Want To" by Men at Work played by Nancy. Its a good inbetween inning song in my opinion. My second favorite would have to be Roseanna by Toto.

"You can Dance if you want to" was done by Men Without Hats,not Men at Work,just to keep everything accurate.

:)

idseer
02-20-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44
WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SONG NANCY PLAYS ON THE ORGAN

moon river.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-20-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by daver
"You can Dance if you want to" was done by Men Without Hats,not Men at Work,just to keep everything accurate.

Dammit, it was the "Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats, not Men at Work! Get your MTV music videos straight! Sheesh...

Daver
02-20-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Dammit, it was the "Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats, not Men at Work! Get your MTV music videos straight! Sheesh...

They are the same song.You can Dance was a dance remix of Safety dance,I have both of them on vinyl.........

WinningUgly!
02-20-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by mike squires

I also used to love those rallys with a double in the corner that scored a run or two. She used to play that (wasn't it Oak Ridge Boys) play me that mountain music. Man, why must things change.

That's Alabama.

I used to love Nancy playing "I Fought the Law", when Rudy or Vance Law were batting. :D:

siugrad25
02-20-2003, 08:27 PM
Classical gas does it for me too.

But the song, 'She drives me crazy' by Fine Young Canibals was always played by Nancy during a rain delay at Old Comiskey when I was a kid growing up in the late '80s. Still to this day, everytime the song comes on the radio I check for rain.

Miss those days.

Dadawg_77
02-20-2003, 08:57 PM
Just because what the songs means, is Nah Nah Nah Hey hey good bye. That is just sweet musical nectar to my ears. It would be pure organismic if I heard after a White Sox win in October.

ps. My this love of White Sox baseball has gone to far.

WhiteSoxWinner
02-20-2003, 10:31 PM
I used to like when Nancy played the music for all the players coming to bat. It was fun guessing the connection between the song and the player coming to the plate. "Rockin' Robin" for Ventura, Wizard of Oz theme for Guillen, etc. etc. Most of the time it made you groan, but I thought it was fun. I am still trying to draw the same conclusion between Frank and JZ's "Big Pimpin". I'm hoping that the correlation is not as obvious as it was for Venture and Ozzie.

MarkEdward
02-20-2003, 11:10 PM
Anything on the organ is great.

What I absolutely hate, even more than the rock music and Jumbotron races, is that dumb sound-o-meter they use. Let the excitement of the baseball game dictate the crowd noise.

T Dog
02-20-2003, 11:21 PM
My favorite Nancy Faust tune tends to be whatever she's playing at the time. "Lake Shore Drive" stands out as an interesting local composition that translates well to the organ. I like to try to figure out how the songs relate to the people coming up to bat -- such as "Games People Play" for Milton Bradley. Sadly this only applies with the visiting team anymore.

I was in a group listening to Jerry Reinsdorf where this came up. The half-inning thing is supposed to be a compromise. Most ballparks, including the retro parks, have done away with live, clever organ music, although nowhere was it as clever and quick as it was at Comiskey. Allegedly, young people prefer the recorded music while older fans prefer the organ. I think that logic devalues part of what makes White Sox baseball special. I enjoyed listening to the radio when I was a kid, but Nancy Faust contributed more to the soundtrack of my childhood.

fuzzy_patters
02-20-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by T Dog
My favorite Nancy Faust tune tends to be whatever she's playing at the time. "Lake Shore Drive" stands out as an interesting local composition that translates well to the organ. I like to try to figure out how the songs relate to the people coming up to bat -- such as "Games People Play" for Milton Bradley. Sadly this only applies with the visiting team anymore.

I was in a group listening to Jerry Reinsdorf where this came up. The half-inning thing is supposed to be a compromise. Most ballparks, including the retro parks, have done away with live, clever organ music, although nowhere was it as clever and quick as it was at Comiskey. Allegedly, young people prefer the recorded music while older fans prefer the organ. I think that logic devalues part of what makes White Sox baseball special. I enjoyed listening to the radio when I was a kid, but Nancy Faust contributed more to the soundtrack of my childhood.

I disagree totally T Dog. I believe that the problem is that old people that choose what goes on at the ballpark believe that is what young people will like. Clearly, young people like nostalgia every bit as much as old people do, because if they didn't frat boys wouldn't attend Wrigley Field.

nut_stock
02-20-2003, 11:50 PM
I always like how she could play modern rock on the organ, hell, I heard her play green day once.

T Dog
02-21-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
I disagree totally T Dog. I believe that the problem is that old people that choose what goes on at the ballpark believe that is what young people will like. Clearly, young people like nostalgia every bit as much as old people do, because if they didn't frat boys wouldn't attend Wrigley Field.

I wholeheartedly agree. I think just about everyone would be happier if Nancy Faust didn't take the home half off.

Actually, I don't think the organ is an element of nostalgia, at least not at Sox Park. I've been in a lot of parks with bland organists. Even in the 1980s, in San Diego, you wouldn't even know there was an organist there. The Sox have something special. The closest they come to wit at Wrigley Field is doing "Get Back" when runners have to return to their bases after a foul ball. (I've heard that on the radio.) That was cute when I first heard it at Old Comiskey in, like, 1970.

People have different musical tastes. No recorded music is going to please everyone. But Nancy Faust is the sound of White Sox baseball. That is a genre unique to the 35th and Shields or Bill Veeck Drive. It should be celebrated.

ihatethecubs
02-21-2003, 01:43 AM
one time against the royals she played the blues classic "kansas city" while gene honda was reading off their lineup. i thought that was really cool that she knew that song. then when aaron guiel came to bat she played "freeze frame" by the j.geils band. i think i was the only one in the park who got that one. (aaron guiel, j.geils)

Hangar18
02-21-2003, 07:11 AM
I GOT IT! I couldnt remember it yesterday...
but its "Come and Get Your Love" by Redbone. Excellent when she plays that. That and "Old Days" by Chicago

hsnterprize
02-21-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Nothin' better than "nah, nah, nah, nah, hey, hey, hey, goodbye" because it means a White Sox Winner, or a pitcher just got knocked out of the game by our offense. It is such a great song and is utterly petty and drives the opposition's fans nuts!

I remember when Nancy played that song when a Sox player hit a home run. In fact, she still plays that song after a homer occasionally.

And by the way, the name of that song is, "Na, Na, Hey, Hey, Goodbye." I forgot when the song first came out, but the British-girl group trio Bananarama re-made it in the 80's.

jortafan
02-21-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by BearSox

I second your nomination of Roseanna. And it's not like I like the song. I actually thought it was a stupid record when it came out in the 1980s.

But I remember Nancy used to play it ALL THE TIME when it was a big hit. So much so that whenever I think of the song itself, I don't hear the record, I hear the sound of Nancy playing it on the organ while sitting in the stands at Comiskey Park. I can't say that for any other song, not even Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye.

T Dog
02-21-2003, 08:18 AM
"Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye," performed by a studio group called Steam, hit No. 1 on the charts in December 1969. Nancy Faust began playing the Comiskey organ the following April.

She can't play "Na Na ..." for home runs if she only plays the visitors' half of the inning. She can't play "Fool on the Hill" for a visiting team conference on the mound either.

jortafan
02-21-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by T Dog
Allegedly, young people prefer the recorded music while older fans prefer the organ. I think that logic devalues part of what makes White Sox baseball special. I enjoyed listening to the radio when I was a kid, but Nancy Faust contributed more to the soundtrack of my childhood.

Sadly enough, it might be true. I still remember one game I was at back in 2000 when this 20ish couple showed up at Comiskey in the middle of the 5th inning. The woman, who admittedly was a blond babe, was so obviously uncomfortable at the ballgame, and the couple left after the 7th inning, after she proclaimed the whole event to be "icky." (I'm not making this up.)

She probably prefers the recorded music being blared, but I doubt she's the type who is ever going to want to come to Sox games on a regular basis (I can't imagine how much force had to be used to get her south of Roosevelt Road). So do we really focus on appealing to the marginal fan at the expense of the people who want to be there? In the logic of modern baseball, the answer is "hell yes!"

Stoky44
02-21-2003, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jortafan
[B]

Allegedly, young people prefer the recorded music while older fans prefer the organ. I think that logic devalues part of what makes White Sox baseball special. I enjoyed listening to the radio when I was a kid, but Nancy Faust contributed more to the soundtrack of my childhood.

I have to say that you are wrong when you say young people prefer the recorded music better. First of all I am 19 years old and I was the original person to start this discussion. Second of all I think your assumption would be right if you refered to non-TRUE-sox fan young people. I have a group of 5 friends who are also my age and are die hard sox fans. We all enjoy Nancy Faust over the recorded stuff. Now that is not to say sometimes the recorded stuff is good, but we would much rather Nancy 95% of the game with the ocassional recorded song (I only like 1 recorded song played). What I think the problem is that old Jerry for some reason listens to the fan who occassionaly comes to the game instead of the true die hard fan all to often. I can safely say any true die hard fan would prefer NAncy.

Wait I just came up with a theory, maybe the reason my friends and I prefer Nancy is that we were probably the last generation to start being fans at the old park. I was about 8 when they took "the palace" down. Maybe the young people who never experienced the old park may never truely appreciate nancy and her organ?

Last night I watch the "Blues Brothers" on DVD, one of my favorite movies and I came up with the only recorded song I liked being played. "Sweet home Chicago" I love when they play that song after we get a win and depart from the seats, it just leaves me with a good feeling. BUT THAT IS IT, OTHERWISE I PREFER NANCY OVER ANY RECORDED CRAP.

Hangar18
02-21-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Stoky44
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jortafan
[B]

I can safely say any true die hard fan would prefer NAncy.
Wait I just came up with a theory, maybe the reason my friends and I prefer Nancy is that we were probably the last generation to start being fans at the old park. I was about 8 when they took "the palace" down. Maybe the young people who never experienced the old park may never truely appreciate nancy and her organ?

Last night I watch the "Blues Brothers" on DVD, one of my favorite movies and I came up with the only recorded song I liked being played. "Sweet home Chicago" I love when they play that song after we get a win and depart from the seats, it just leaves me with a good feeling. BUT THAT IS IT, OTHERWISE I PREFER NANCY OVER ANY RECORDED CRAP.

Man, your right about that Stoky. I LOVE when they Play "Sweet Home Chicago" after Na NA Hey HEy, after a White Sox Win.
back-to-back like that just seems like South Side Chicago to me.
I hope that NEVER changes

hold2dibber
02-21-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro
Don't have a particular favorite -- I do like how she plays "Bang on the Drum All Day" -- but I wish they'd let Nancy play more.

Back to the future: More organ, more Nancy!

I don't know a single Sox fan who doesn't agree with you. My guess is that Reinsdorf's focus groups (you know, the ones that tell him that Sox fans don't really care about winning) tell him that fans want to hear really, really loud crap pop and rock music at the ballpark during every second when the game isn't being played.

FarmerAndy
02-21-2003, 11:56 AM
Nancy should play during the home half of every inning. My buddy Jon came up with the funniest idea for when Tony Graffanino comes to the plate. He said Nancy should play the main guitar riff from Jethro Tull's "Aqualung" on the organ, because Graffy's name fit's over it just perfect.

When she plays it, the crowd can sing "To-ny-Graff-a-ni-no"

If you know the riff I'm talking about, it makes sense. If not, just move along to the next post and forget you ever read this.

Juan Pizarro
02-21-2003, 12:54 PM
I like this...
"When she plays it, the crowd can sing 'To-ny-Graff-a-ni-no'..."

C-mon, hit a dou-ble.

alohafri
02-21-2003, 02:15 PM
(from Mrs. Aloha)

In case some of you don't know, Nancy has a cassette tape of some of her fav Sox Park songs. It costs around $10 and the proceeds go to charity. A couple of years ago, I talked to Nancy before a game and asked if she had a copy of the tape to sell since none of the concessions had it. She was kind enough to bring one in the following week--what a sweet lady she is!

doublem23
02-21-2003, 02:42 PM
My favorite is "Nah nah nah nah..." because it encourages heckling.

T Dog
02-21-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
(from Mrs. Aloha)

In case some of you don't know, Nancy has a cassette tape of some of her fav Sox Park songs. It costs around $10 and the proceeds go to charity. A couple of years ago, I talked to Nancy before a game and asked if she had a copy of the tape to sell since none of the concessions had it. She was kind enough to bring one in the following week--what a sweet lady she is!

I listen to this cassette in my car on the way to the ballpark. It's better a lot of sports radio, although even a dental drill would beat the Wise Guys.

Stoky44, you and your friends need to complain to the Sox. I've been told that I only like Nancy Faust because I'm not young any more.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
(from Mrs. Aloha)

There are excerpts from Nancy's tape available in the Fight Songs portion of WSI. You can listen to them by clicking here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/SoxSounds.htm). Runaround Sue is one of the cuts.

For the record, Nancy is a big fan of the site.

TornLabrum
02-21-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
I remember when Nancy played that song when a Sox player hit a home run. In fact, she still plays that song after a homer occasionally.

And by the way, the name of that song is, "Na, Na, Hey, Hey, Goodbye." I forgot when the song first came out, but the British-girl group trio Bananarama re-made it in the 80's.

The actual title is "Na-Na-Hey-Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye)," originally recorded sometime around 1970 (I was in college when it was popular) by a group called Steam.

T Dog
02-22-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize

It didn't hit me until now, but Bananarama must have been singing about the White Sox. It should have been obvious. Their signature hit, "Cruel Summer" blasted on my car radio through the brutal summer of 1984, the year the Sox added Tom Seaver to their elite pitching staff and the only playoff baseball in Chicago was played up north. Maybe if I track down the Bananarama catalog and play the songs backward, they will tell me who the Sox need to plug in as the fifth starter in order to beat the crap out of the rest of the league.

soxfaninnewyork
04-16-2003, 08:46 PM
Ever since that game the Sox won on national TV against the Royals in '77 two things happened. I became a White Sox fan (living in New York) and a Nancy Faust fan. Since then whenever the Yankees would play the Sox at Comiskey I'd record the game on my cassette player just so I could hear Nancy's music. I don't really have a favorite; they're all very good, witty and playful, things you don't learn to appreciate as a part of the game until they're no longer there (thanks to canned music).

I agree that Nancy should play for the home team also and not be relegated to just the visitors. In fact, the tunes she would play during the home ABs is what made me such a huge fan. I miss the bars of "what goes up must come down...spinning wheels..." for infield pop-ups, or "the perils of penelope pitstop" whenever something ominous happened to the visiting team during a Sox rally. Too bad I lost them all during a moving accident several years ago; alas, I still have vivid and fond memories.

During a Sox-Yankees game in '79 when both teams were awful, the Yankees raced out to a 9-0 lead when the Sox managed a late 9-inning rally to break the shutout. When the first run crossed the plate, the crowd let out a cheer and Nancy played "Amen". That is one I'll always remember.

It's too bad that Sox management has decided to debase Nancy's musical talents over loud cacaphonous artificial noise. For the past 33 seasons, Chicago White Sox baseball has been synonymous with several things: the exploding scoreboard, the "pajama unis", winning ugly, and Nancy Faust on the organ. Why not showcase such a treasure instead of trivializing her? If this is the way Sox management decides to reward someone who has delighted fans and players for 33 years by limiting her playing time to half-innings, then it's a damn shame. She should be playing before, during, and after the games for all the players.

No more piped-in blasts of "Charge!"
Nancy's version works just fine.

No more artificial hand-clapping tunes.
Nancy has more innovative versions of pumping up the fans then anybody.

No more rock and pop tunes between pitching changes.
Nancy has "Runaround Sue". End of story.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to make it to Comiskey Park (forget this US Cellular Field crap) and hear her play before she gets tired of the mistreatment and retires.

I'll keep my recorder warm just in case management has a change of heart. Until then, there's always the Nancy Faust tape sold at the ballpark.

joecrede
04-16-2003, 08:59 PM
I'm going to get killed for this, and it's nothing against Nancy or how much I enjoyed her in the past, but I prefer the rock they play before the game.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-16-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
I'm going to get killed for this, and it's nothing against Nancy or how much I enjoyed her in the past, but I prefer the rock they play before the game.

If you get killed, it's only because you had it coming Buddy.

Procol Harum
04-16-2003, 10:16 PM
Hasta be "A Whiter Shade of Pale." Hasta be. :D:

Daver
04-16-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Hasta be "A Whiter Shade of Pale." Hasta be. :D:

Nope. Nancy played "She came in through the garden fence"

Nancy rules,piped in music sucks.

Procol Harum
04-17-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by daver
Nope. Nancy played "She came in through the garden fence"

Nancy rules,piped in music sucks.

C'mon she didn't did she? If she did, her knowledge of obscure keyboard rock tunes is impressive, indeed!

And I agree, I'll take Nancy playing over the blaring, distorted canned music anyday.

bc2k
04-17-2003, 11:47 PM
Nancy Faust sucks.

LuvSox
04-18-2003, 07:27 AM
Kiss him Goodbye!!! (Of course, it's my signature)

I dig out that song every now and then & play it over and over. It reminds me of all the great times over the years at the Comiskeys. Even gets me chocked up. Nancy is a legend.

T Dog
04-18-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
C'mon she didn't did she? If she did, her knowledge of obscure keyboard rock tunes is impressive, indeed!

Even the dissenters should see there is an inherent intelligence to the Nancy Faust tradition that you don't see in seventh-inning-stretch conductors.

I'm sure a lot of what Nancy does just goes over people's heads, but I like trying to connect what she plays to the hitter or the events on the field. It can be one of the cerebral aspects of going to the park. I'm sure, though, she considers her audience. While she might be ready with a Bach riff if Wally Bachman ever appeared on the field, she played "Young Girl" for Dimitri Young during the last homestand instead of pulling something out of a Dmitri Shostakovich symphony.

soxnut
04-19-2003, 02:17 AM
Nancy should be the only music coming out of the ballpark.

I love her version of "Like A Prayer", it sounds really sweet. I remember hearing it during a rain delay once, and a few times when they were getting ready for the fireworks at the old park, and then a few times during batting practice at the new park. I think the next time I go to a game I'm going to ask her to play it..... :smile:

TornLabrum
04-19-2003, 08:54 AM
A few of my favorites that Nancy has played over the years for opposing for batters:

"Let's Get Physical" for Omar Vizquel, "Under the Boardwalk" for Mike Bordick, and my personal favorite because it was the first one Jeff and I ever suggested that she use, and she used it his next time at bat and every time he batted against the Sox after that, "I Love Lucy" for Rob Ducey.

T Dog
04-19-2003, 05:03 PM
Today when Indian catcher Laker was robbed of a hit on a play that turned into an inning-ending force out, the Sox were accompanied to the dugout with "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." A lake disaster song for thwarting Laker's bid to rally the Indians. I've been to a lot of ballparks, but I've never heard another organist that had so much fun with the game.

calebhatesyou
04-19-2003, 07:45 PM
can't really speak for what nancy plays, i've never really heard her beside the occasional "Na, Na, Na......Hey, Hey, Hey, Good Bye" joint at the tail end of a broadcast. But i can say in my expierience at live sporting efents that piped in stuff can be rather untimely. i mean when i go to an event, especially opening day i want to hear the sounds of associated with that particular sport. and baseball is the auditorily infectious sport we have to worship. there is nothing like the sound of bats "cracking" and the "thwap" of ball meeting glove, and the only sound the back drop that IMO should be pipe organs, man, not Ja Rule, Kenny Chestney(sp), Twisted Sister (they are a tough call though), or what have you. :(:

wow, i guess this just push a button in me. thanks for letting me vent, wsi :smile:

MJL_Sox_Fan
04-20-2003, 02:23 AM
Has to be "Na Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye". So many great memories. Sox wins, sox homers, and visiting pitchers hitting the showers! As others have mentioned, I too, get a little emotional in big games when I hear it.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-20-2003, 06:07 PM
IMO, Nancy Faust is the single most-important person in the Sox off-field staff. Her routine is so far ahead of what any other ballpark organist does, I find it hard to understand why Sox Fans don't universally appreciate her.

Granted, Sox management is so dysfunctional, I'm hardly surprised they don't recognize what a terrific promoter of the team she is. I guess I would be more surprised if they DID capitalize on what she brings.

So for those of you who prefer canned music, please explain why you feel the way you do. It is an unfathomable mystery to me how anybody wouldn't prefer Nancy.

:?: