PDA

View Full Version : Joltin' Joe or SouthSide Willie ?

Hangar18
02-20-2003, 12:37 PM
I started thinking. Should Joltin' Joe Borchard or South Side Willie Harris make this team. Really good question. But Im thinking BOTH should be down in Triple AAA this year. Joltin' Joe is going to be Awesome once he works on his swing this year.

Hangar18
02-20-2003, 12:41 PM
By the way, I beat Hawkeroo to those nicknames... heh heh.
Dont let him tell you Otherwise.

voodoochile
02-20-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
By the way, I beat Hawkeroo to those nicknames... heh heh.
Dont let him tell you Otherwise.

Personally, I prefer Bazooka Joe - and no, it isn't mine. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing both of them start the year at AAA. If one of them shows they are ready then bring them up. I think Borchard should be the first call up, though because he has the greater talent and thus the better chance of competing on the MLB level. Harris needs to swallow his pride and spend the year learning how to bunt, slaphit, take a walk and lean into inside pitches. Then when he can get his OBP close to .380, he will have a chance at making the team - otherwise he has Julio Rameriz written all over him, IMO.

Hangar18
02-20-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Personally, I prefer Bazooka Joe - and no, it isn't mine. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing both of them start the year at AAA. If one of them shows they are ready then bring them up. I think Borchard should be the first call up, though because he has the greater talent and thus the better chance of competing on the MLB level. Harris needs to swallow his pride and spend the year learning how to bunt, slaphit, take a walk and lean into inside pitches. Then when he can get his OBP close to .380, he will have a chance at making the team - otherwise he has Julio Rameriz written all over him, IMO.

Good point. Bazooka Joe sounds good...if he cuts down runners trying to take that extra base,,,,that would sound awesome.

FarmerAndy
02-20-2003, 02:18 PM
I hate it when people recycle nicknames. Baseball already had it's "Joltin' Joe". So I'd go with Bazooka.

It still drives me nuts that people call Ivan Rodriguez "Pudge".

duke of dorwood
02-20-2003, 02:27 PM
Bazooka Joe and Pop Gun Willie will give way to Bashing Brian Daubach.

voodoochile
02-20-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
I hate it when people recycle nicknames. Baseball already had it's "Joltin' Joe". So I'd go with Bazooka.

I'd just like to point out that "Pudge" is and has been a common nickname for catchers going way way back. Fisk was not the first to wear it, merely the most famous. I know it seems weird to hear people use it and from now until the end of time people will assume it is a tribute (ripoff) to Fisk, but it has much deeper roots in baseball history...

Hangar18
02-20-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy

Sure, "recycling" names might not be so original, but Look at the guy. The first time I saw him, with his height/size/resemblance, the first thing that came out of my mouth was "Joltin Joe". then I realized that was also DiMaggios name. I think enough time has passed that the name should actually work for him. Joltin Joe Crede doesnt sound so good though does it??

FarmerAndy
02-20-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I'd just like to point out that "Pudge" is and has been a common nickname for catchers going way way back. Fisk was not the first to wear it, merely the most famous. I know it seems weird to hear people use it and from now until the end of time people will assume it is a tribute (ripoff) to Fisk, but it has much deeper roots in baseball history...

I'm pretty well read on the game/history, but I did not know that. Thanks for the history lesson!

(The streak continues....I've learned something new every day so far.)