PDA

View Full Version : Murphy & the Score Cub Morning Show

Hangar18
02-20-2003, 08:18 AM
Today on the Score, Murph read an "email" (yeah right) from a cub fan wanting to know if people could Go to the Hall Of Fame in Cooperstown, and if it was Free of Charge. You and I know how ridiculous a Question that is, because EVERYONE KNOWS people are allowed there. ESPN is always showing the fans of a player after he gets inducted waving, cheering etc. Happens every year. So why would Murpy read such a RIDICULOUS Question? To BAIT THE AUDIENCE again. so he gets someone from the pr dept over in Cooperstown to come on the air, and he mentions Of course its Free to come down, mentions the cost of tix to the museum, etc etc etc. Now your probably thinking, why did he even Bait The Audience? To continue his Sympathy campaign for Ron Santo. When Murphy mentioned to the HOF pr guy, that "the whole city of Chicago is Pulling for Ronny to make the HOF", it made me sick. Dont speak for 1/2 the city Murph. Funny thing happened though. The Pr Guy in Cooperstown quickly mentioned that MINNIE MINOSO is also on the same Ballot, but Murph Quickly moved to another subject.
Murph then asked about what Cub Paraphrenalia was there, and when the PR guy mentioned SOX stuff that was there also....MURPH again moved to the next subject.
Nice Show you got there Murph

harwar
02-20-2003, 09:05 AM
I can't stand that cub fan anyway.The day after the Colon trade he had on a baseball writer and spent 95 % of the time asking cub questions.

irish rover
02-20-2003, 09:44 AM
I was lol when I heard that email. what is even funnier the person emailed in thus one could deduct that the person had access to the internet, right?

well all the person had to do was a googel seach to find this

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hof_weekend/2003/index.htm

idiots

Juan Pizarro
02-20-2003, 09:50 AM
Both Minnie and Billy Pierce deserve in before Santo.

irish rover
02-20-2003, 10:00 AM
I was lol when I heard that email. what is even funnier the person emailed in thus one could deduct that the person had access to the internet, right?

well all the person had to do was a googel seach to find this

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hof_weekend/2003/index.htm

idiots

soxruleEP
02-20-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro

No one is a bigger Cub hater than me, but I can't figure out why Santo isn't in now--he was definitely the top 3B of his era in his league.

He should NOT get in on sympathy however.

Hangar18
02-20-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro

Was waiting for someone to chime in with that. Why Doenst MURPH devote hour-long segments to Minoso??? ALSO...theres is supposedly a side-kick of his on the show (fred?) that is a Sox Fan. But this Fred guy lets Murph DOMINATE the show and lets him lead his Sheep-like audience on Cub Subjects and other CubFluff. Couldnt this Fred guy have said, "HEY, the whole city of Chicago is pulling for MINNIE". I dont think hes really a SoxFan. I think the Score Markets them that way because it sounds good in Advertising to say "hey, our wacky morning guys are sure crazy and Wacky!!! ones a cub fan, the others a Sox fan.....you never know what those 2 are going to get into!! Wacky Wacky Wacky!!! " What A fraud. I read thru that Sham like a book.

Hangar18
02-20-2003, 10:27 AM
Along this subject line, I happen to have the Studio line to WXRT, other wise known as WCUB-fm 93. Terri Hemmert and that other buffoon that does the morning show are the biggest cub fans around and make no bones about it. Ive been calling them every few days to Hassle them (they do a live show every single opening day Near Wrigley Field, hemmert gets drunk and blabs about this is the year etc etc) about WHY THEY NEVER DO A OPENING DAY SHOW LIVE FROM THE SOUTH SIDE for the Sox Opener. here are some of the reasons:

* we like the sox too, dont worry
* no ones ever asked that before
* good question, we dont know why
* majority of our listeners are cub fans
* we never thought of that
* were not totally cub fans, thats not true
* really? thats a good question, i'll tell the "higher-ups"

duke of dorwood
02-20-2003, 10:54 AM
Mike Murphy drove me down to Eric & Kathy in the AM a while back

T Dog
02-20-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by soxruleEP
No one is a bigger Cub hater than me, but I can't figure out why Santo isn't in now--he was definitely the top 3B of his era in his league.

I recently talked with one of Santo's contemporaries, who was a brief teammate, and asked about the Hall of Fame thing. I was surprised at how firmly he responded that Santo doesn't belong in the Hall.

Hangar18
02-20-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Mike Murphy drove me down to Eric & Kathy in the AM a while back

???? Murph drove you down to Eric and Kathy's Station????

Dick Allen
02-20-2003, 11:50 AM
Part of the fun of the show is listening to Murphy make a fool out of himself, although like most pathetic Cub fans, he isn't even aware of how stupid he sounds. But it does irritate me that Fred Huebner doesn't take a more proactive approach and stump for the Sox.

A.T. Money
02-20-2003, 02:31 PM
Murph's lisp is what annoys me most.....

Brian26
02-20-2003, 04:51 PM
I always thought Teri Hemmert was Terry Bevington in drag.

I think Bevington might actually be better looking.

:hawk

"Mercy!"

34rancher
02-20-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by soxruleEP

He should NOT get in on sympathy however.
A team with that many hall of famers (69 Cubs) and they still couldn't win a division? Gimme a break.
I Love Santo, but I don't think he deserves in. He is the one guy who I (gasp) hope the Cubs do well. Everytime they lose, his health goes down. Ron is a wonderful person, so for him, I hope they do well.

SoxRulecubsdrool
02-20-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I always thought Teri Hemmert was Terry Bevington in drag.

I think Bevington might actually be better looking.

:hawk

"Mercy!"

Years ago I took a few classes at Columbia College where Terri Hemmert was the instructor. Yes, she is Miss Cub. I cannot even tolerate to turn on WXRT during baseball season. It's pathetic. Cubs this, cubs that.

Quite honestly, I always thought she looked like a female Roger Ebert.

Hangar18
02-21-2003, 07:26 AM
For Friday 2.21, on the WSCR CubFluff Network, Murph AGAIN read some anonymous "email" from a fan talking about Sosas coming early. after talking about that, of course it SMOOTHLY went into the next segment, which was Jim Hendry talking about the Cubs chances and their young players. Problem though. The "interview" was pre-recorded FROM YESTERDAY (during Boers show). SO i got to drive and hear more CUBFLUFF for a while, then they changed the subject.

Sad
02-21-2003, 08:32 AM
I enjoy listening to WSCR but not Murph and/or Fred...

there's so many advertisements in that AM slot it borders on paid programming...

I'm also growing really sick & tired of "better-than-thou" Boers & Bernstein and their M-Jeff or NASCAR bashing...
:?:
get over it already.

soxruleEP
02-21-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by 34rancher
A team with that many hall of famers (69 Cubs) and they still couldn't win a division? Gimme a break.
I Love Santo, but I don't think he deserves in. He is the one guy who I (gasp) hope the Cubs do well. Everytime they lose, his health goes down. Ron is a wonderful person, so for him, I hope they do well.

I am just doing this from memory but:

Ernie Banks--2 MVP, 500+ HRs, one of the first power-hitting SS (after Arky Vaughn) washed up in '69, in HOF for his early exploits.

Billy Williams--one of the most consistant players of his era, a number of very fine seasons, top twenty in several categories

Fergie Jenkins--won 20 games many times

Those are their HOF from that team.

I cannot figure out what it is that people find in Santo that they think means he shouldn't be in HOF. He played what is historically the weakest position in baseball (fewer great players have been 3b than any other) and he is the equal of just about every 3b in there. He hit his HR during an era of pitching domination and significant RBI numbers.

He was a better offensive player than Brooks Robinson by a lot but Robinson (who was clearly a better defensive player) played on teams that reached the world series (and more because of their pitching and frnak robinson than brooks).

Santo belongs in the HOF.

[AND I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M EXPENDING THIS MUCH EFFORT ON THE CUBS!]

Nellie_Fox
02-21-2003, 11:33 AM
The issue for a lot of people is: If the Cubs of that era had so many HOFers, how come they never won anything? How can you justify four guys in the Hall from a team whose main claim to fame is a monumental choke?

Third base is a position from which you expect big offensive numbers. I know the eras are different, but Santo's career numbers are the kind that Frank puts up in his "bad" years, for which people on this board are ridiculing him (Santo's career averages: .277 25 96, OBP .362. Hmmm, last year, arguably Frank's worst (99 had worse power numbers, but better BA): .252 28 92, OBP .361.

Santo had a nice career, but not a Hall of Fame career.

Hangar18
02-21-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
The issue for a lot of people is: If the Cubs of that era had so many HOFers, how come they never won anything? How can you justify four guys in the Hall from a team whose main claim to fame is a monumental choke?

Third base is a position from which you expect big offensive numbers. I know the eras are different, but Santo's career numbers are the kind that Frank puts up in his "bad" years, for which people on this board are ridiculing him (Santo's career averages: .277 25 96, OBP .362. Hmmm, last year, arguably Frank's worst (99 had worse power numbers, but better BA): .252 28 92, OBP .361.

My Sentiments Exactly. Had Santo been w the SOX his whole career, the media would Ignore him. They'd Instead be Lobbying for Getting Hector Villanueva and Gary Scott on the HOF Ballot.

Nellie_Fox
02-21-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
My Sentiments Exactly. Had Santo been w the SOX his whole career, the media would Ignore him. They'd Instead be Lobbying for Getting Hector Villanueva and Gary Scott on the HOF Ballot. Robin Ventura's career numbers: .269 24 97, OBP .364. Do you think there'll be a big bandwagon to get Robin into the Hall when his career is through?

Dadawg_77
02-21-2003, 12:25 PM
Ron Santo's page at Baseball Ref.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/santoro01.shtml

At best Ron is below avg Hall of Fame caliber player. Out of the similar players not one of them is in the Hall of Fame, several are borderline players but non are in the hall. The only resaon Ron makes it is he lost both of his legs. He is an All Star player but not one of the greatest ever.

kevingrt
02-21-2003, 05:14 PM
Murph and Fred got even better today they had Joe B out at Flubs box office for starting to buy tix! Just crazy!

TornLabrum
02-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

Except that Santo played much of his career in an era that was pitching rich and hitting poor. He was hitting in an era when Koufax, Gibson, et al. were putting up sub-2.00 ERAs.

duke of dorwood
02-21-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Sad
I enjoy listening to WSCR but not Murph and/or Fred...

there's so many advertisements in that AM slot it borders on paid programming...

I'm also growing really sick & tired of "better-than-thou" Boers & Bernstein and their M-Jeff or NASCAR bashing...
:?:
get over it already.

Please note-I have continued to exist without EVER turning on that station for some time.. Berstein was the FIRST to go, they all soon followed