PDA

View Full Version : Arnie Munoz - Starter, Bullpen or AAA

Fisk Fan
02-19-2003, 04:27 PM
I just read an article in the Cubune about this Munoz kid, but I don't know enough about him. I heard that he tore up the Dominican League this winter, but does anyone know what his chances are of making the club? I also read that he has a nasty curveball.......and he's a lefty.

czalgosz
02-19-2003, 04:31 PM
He probably won't make the club out of Spring Training, but he'll be in a Sox uni by the end of the year. He's strictly a reliever.

OfficerKarkovice
02-19-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
He's strictly a reliever.

For now

IOWA SOXMAN
02-19-2003, 05:31 PM
I spoke to Don Cooper in January about Munoz and he is very high and enthusiastic on him

gogosoxgogo
02-19-2003, 05:32 PM
Right now, he doesn't have the stamina to be a starter. If he develops another pitch, two would be nice, and adds some stamina, it could happen. This kid is going to be something. He's 20 years old and as already achieved more than most 30 year olds. He'll start the year in AAA due to many innings pitched last year, winter league ball as well, and will be up before not too long.

czalgosz
02-19-2003, 05:37 PM
Expect to see him once Tom Gordon has his annual season-ending injury in June.

Got Direct TV this year - I'll actually be able to see more than 1 or 2 games! I'm as excited as a very excited person who's got a special reason to be excited!

jeremyb1
02-19-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
He'll start the year in AAA due to many innings pitched last year, winter league ball as well, and will be up before not too long.

i certainly wouldn't say that's set in stone. considering that we have two veterans who have had a lot of success in the past in glover and wunsch yet aren't being guaranteed spots, i'd say munoz has a pretty good chance of earning a spot on the team if he pitches well in the spring. manuel really likes him.

czalgosz
02-19-2003, 08:17 PM
Current 11-man staff -

Definites -

Rotation -

Colon
Buehrle
Garland
Wright
Rauch or Loaiza

'Pen -

Koch
Gordon
Marte
White

That's nine, leaving -

Ginter
Wunsch
Glover
Munoz

that realistically have a shot at the remaining two spots. Wunsch is a decent LOOGY, and Glover deserves a spot. Gordon is injury-prone, so it makes a tremendous amount of sense to have Munoz start the year at AAA, to come up when (not if, WHEN) someone gets hurt.

duke of dorwood
02-19-2003, 10:48 PM
I still think Glover will be traded-and Munoz makes the team

HawkDJ
02-19-2003, 10:58 PM
Well Munoz is getting alot of hype right now but if I'm manager and I'm not taking Wunsch than I take Sanders. Munoz might be better some day and might be already but he is only 20. I know he is just a reliever but I think he should stay in AAA for a little longer since we have a pretty good alternative in Sanders. He had better numbers in AA last year and is 3 years older.

TheBigHurt
02-19-2003, 11:52 PM
is he the sox future closer after koch's contract is up?????????

Daver
02-20-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
is he the sox future closer after koch's contract is up?????????

Edwin Almonte and Royce Ring would be the closer of the future,the nod would go to Ring,Almonte is better suited as a set up man.

hold2dibber
02-20-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Current 11-man staff -

Definites -

Rotation -

Colon
Buehrle
Garland
Wright
Rauch or Loaiza

'Pen -

Koch
Gordon
Marte
White

That's nine, leaving -

Ginter
Wunsch
Glover
Munoz

that realistically have a shot at the remaining two spots. Wunsch is a decent LOOGY, and Glover deserves a spot. Gordon is injury-prone, so it makes a tremendous amount of sense to have Munoz start the year at AAA, to come up when (not if, WHEN) someone gets hurt.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether, if Rauch wins the no. 5 spot, Loaiza gets a spot in the pen (assuming he pitches well too)? Or is it more likely that he'd end up taking the ball every fifth day in Charlotte in case one of the top 5 in Chicago gets hurt or falters? Also, I'd add that I think Heredia is in the mix for the no. 5 spot as well.

I think of the four you list as candidates for the last 2 spots, at least one of the lefties will make it. I'd also say Almonte is in the mix for the last spot, but realistically, that's going to be Glover's spot unless he gets hurt or Ginter or Almonte is overpowering and Glover is horrible in S.T.

Juan Pizarro
02-20-2003, 10:48 AM
With the reports on his curveball, it sounds like he'd be a natural 7th-inning guy, especially following one of the power righty starters.

I think he'll start in AAA and be up by July.

jeremyb1
02-20-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

i don't know. three lefties in a six man pen? glover has been oustanding in the pen and has had good health in the past. if anyone is dealt to make room for munoz i think it has to be wunsch.

czalgosz
02-20-2003, 05:42 PM
Why trade any of them? I'm willing to bet Gordon will not last the entire season without breaking down. The Sox will need someone in AAA to go to when that happens, and it better be someone better than Ginter or Almonte.

gogosoxgogo
02-20-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

trading Glover now would be a bad move. He has virtually no trade value at the present moment. Give him one complete year out of the pen where he is much more effective, and you can trade him after that. Some team will see that he's been a starter in the past and how effective he was last year, and how young he is, and will be willing to give up a lot more for him then.

Brian26
02-20-2003, 05:55 PM
Wunsch is history. Guaranteed.

:wills

"Back to Kane County for you, young chap!"

maurice
02-20-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i don't know. three lefties in a six man pen?

Heck, why not? IIRC, the Sox broke camp with three in 1990 (some combination of Radinsky, Patterson, Edwards, and Rosenberg).

That was a memorable year. Thomas and Fernandez were called up to join Ventura, McDowell, and Sosa. Larry Himes' plan was coming together. (sigh)