PDA

View Full Version : Phil pissing off Cub fans

moochpuppy
02-19-2003, 10:42 AM
Way to go Phil!!! (http://boards.espn.go.com/cgi/mlb/request.dll?MESSAGE&room=mlb_chc&id=630814&move=firstThread)

You are truely one of us now. Have a :gulp: on me!

Vsahajpal
02-19-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Way to go Phil!!! (http://boards.espn.go.com/cgi/mlb/request.dll?MESSAGE&room=mlb_chc&id=630814&move=firstThread)

You are truely one of us now. Have a :gulp: on me!

Link the article too, mooch. It was more comical.

Thome didn't need long to show teams like the Cubs what they will be missing. In his first workout with the Phillies, he crushed a batting practice pitch from Bowa with his trademark strength. The ball rode a strong tailwind more than 500 feet, bounding onto U.S. Rt. 19.

They'll be missing that?

From Cubs catcher Mike Mahoney, who has an on-going Spring Training Diary in the Des Moines Register:

Saw (Hee Seop) Choi in the batting cage. Looks like he's doing a few things with his stance, like dropping down a little and getting his legs more into his swing. He crushed some 500-footers, so it doesn't look like he did a whole lot of relaxing during the off-season.

http://www.dmregister.com/sports/stories/c6902873/20520068.html

For Hendry to make a serious run at Thome, he would have needed Tribune Co. to expand the payroll--now projected in the range of $75 million-$80 million--above $85 million. Otherwise there would have been no way to fill other needs, such as rebuilding the bullpen and upgrading the catching.

Exactly Phil, not to mention upgrading the bench. If Thome rejected $60 MM/5 years from Cleveland, there's not a chance he'd have signed for less in Chicago.

Yet the absence of a bold move could become another Palmeiro-sized blemish for management, especially if Choi's .180 average last September was a preview of coming seasons. The Cubs project him as a 25-35 homer, 100-RBI man but they expected great things from Corey Patterson too.

Choi's .180 AVG in 50 AB last September is meaningless. And apparently Phil has written off Corey Patterson.

DrCrawdad
02-19-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
...Choi's .180 AVG in 50 AB last September is meaningless. And apparently Phil has written off Corey Patterson.

According to Baylor, Corey Patterson = http://www.goldpanners.com/Archive/Cards/All-Stars-80s/80s_mcdowell-odb.jpg

Seriously though, Corey may end up being a fine player but after one full season and parts of two others Patterson hasn't lived up to the hype. That critical assesment of Patterson at this point IMO doesn't mean that you've written him off. It's just being honest.

- DrCrawdad.

moochpuppy
02-19-2003, 12:52 PM

There was no article in that particular thread to link to V. I thought the responses were comical enough.

BTW, I wouldn't write off Patterson just yet but his time is wearing thin. If he doesn't get off to a good start you can bet your ass Dusty will be having him riding pine before the end of May. Welcome to Wrigley Tom Goodwin.

DrCrawdad
02-19-2003, 12:53 PM

Thome didn't need long to show teams like the Cubs what they will be missing. In his first workout with the Phillies, he crushed a batting practice pitch from Bowa with his trademark strength. The ball rode a strong tailwind more than 500 feet, bounding onto U.S. Rt. 19.

They'll be missing that?

From Cubs catcher Mike Mahoney, who has an on-going Spring Training Diary in the Des Moines Register:

Saw (Hee Seop) Choi in the batting cage. Looks like he's doing a few things with his stance, like dropping down a little and getting his legs more into his swing. He crushed some 500-footers, so it doesn't look like he did a whole lot of relaxing during the off-season.

http://www.dmregister.com/sports/stories/c6902873/20520068.html

For Hendry to make a serious run at Thome, he would have needed Tribune Co. to expand the payroll--now projected in the range of $75 million-$80 million--above $85 million. Otherwise there would have been no way to fill other needs, such as rebuilding the bullpen and upgrading the catching.

Exactly Phil, not to mention upgrading the bench. If Thome rejected $60 MM/5 years from Cleveland, there's not a chance he'd have signed for less in Chicago.

Yet the absence of a bold move could become another Palmeiro-sized blemish for management, especially if Choi's .180 average last September was a preview of coming seasons. The Cubs project him as a 25-35 homer, 100-RBI man but they expected great things from Corey Patterson too.

Choi's .180 AVG in 50 AB last September is meaningless. And apparently Phil has written off Corey Patterson.

Do you believe that Choi will put up better numbers than Thome in '03 or '04?

Vsahajpal
02-19-2003, 01:03 PM
There was no article in that particular thread to link to V. I thought the responses were comical enough.

BTW, I wouldn't write off Patterson just yet but his time is wearing thin. If he doesn't get off to a good start you can bet your ass Dusty will be having him riding pine before the end of May. Welcome to Wrigley Tom Goodwin.

I don't think so at all, he'll be given all the time he needs. He's freaking 23! Baker feels the same, BTW.

"I know people don't want to hear [about] patience, but we have no choice or else we could ruin this young man," Baker said. "And then they end up going someplace else and starring and then [fans] start coming down on the organization for trading the guy. 'Why did you trade that guy?'"

He's exactly right.

Hangar18
02-19-2003, 01:04 PM
im going to disagree w Phil Rogers here. The Cubs did the right thing by not signing the guy to a 70 mill deal or whatever it wouldve been. Phils Angle on the story was how dumb the Cubs were to not sign him. Well, they wouldve set themselves back a bit by doing that, not to doubt they had the money. Had the opened up the Wallets to buy him the Media wouldve had a field day and started the "why didnt you spend before" "we thought you were broke" etc etc.

Also,,,,Doesnt anyone think it was a bit PRESUMPTUOUS of Jim Thome to just invite himself over to Clark and Addison for an Interview? I tried doing the same thing this morning, calling Kenny Williams and asking him if he'd meet with my agent about the no. 5 spot in the rotation. KW didnt call back. Heres a guy who just told Cleveland his heart was there, and wasnt interested in more $$$$$$, then Secretly slips into Chicago to play for the Cubs? what a dumbass. But then again, you can see where his head is......on the Benjamins. I feel bad for Tribe Fans he sold them out.

Vsahajpal
02-19-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

No of course not, and I wouldn't have been against bringing Thome in for 2 years.

But a 6 year/$85 MM deal? That's ridiculous.

Hangar18
02-19-2003, 01:10 PM
Another reason I dont like the stories angle.....Is that now, Cub Fans, who arent the smartest fans around, are going to Read that and will now start whining and moaning about not having Thome. The other media outlets of course, will jump on the Bandwagon and condemn the Cubs all season long for not signing him (taking away more coverage on the Sox)

Kilroy
02-19-2003, 01:11 PM

maybe if Thome gets injured.

hold2dibber
02-19-2003, 01:18 PM
No of course not, and I wouldn't have been against bringing Thome in for 2 years.

That deal was entirely over the top. Does anyone doubt that by the last few years of the deal he signed in Philly, the Phillies will be hating that contract?

kermittheefrog
02-19-2003, 01:33 PM
I think it's worth noting there's a pretty good outfielder on the Cubs right now who wasn't much in the majors when he was 22.

Vsahajpal
02-19-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
That deal was entirely over the top. Does anyone doubt that by the last few years of the deal he signed in Philly, the Phillies will be hating that contract?

You're exactly right, I guess Rogers feels otherwise.

Hangar18
02-19-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I think it's worth noting there's a pretty good outfielder on the Cubs right now who wasn't much in the majors when he was 22.

Moises Alou?

kermittheefrog
02-19-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Moises Alou?

Ha

moochpuppy
02-19-2003, 02:11 PM

Troy O'Leary?

MarkEdward
02-19-2003, 03:21 PM

Tom Goodwin?

Stop killing us with suspense Kermit!

gogosoxgogo
02-19-2003, 04:43 PM
Aside from the fact that I disagree with Rogers in his article, I find it very comical that Cub fans are complaining about their media coverage. Just remember folks, being a Cub fan is a disease.

gogosoxgogo
02-19-2003, 04:46 PM

Moises Alou?

Troy O'Leary?

Originally posted by MarkEdward

Tom Goodwin?

Stop killing us with suspense Kermit!

Can I assume these posts should be tealized?

DrCrawdad
02-19-2003, 04:56 PM

Obviously a six year deal wouldn't have made sense for the Cubs, but did the Cubs think to at least offer Thome a 2 year contract?

- DrCrawdad.

Hangar18
02-19-2003, 05:01 PM
Obviously a six year deal wouldn't have made sense for the Cubs, but did the Cubs think to at least offer Thome a 2 year contract?

- DrCrawdad.

WHY would they offer him a 2 yr deal, when he wanted a Guaranteed 6th year offer from the Indians?

T Dog
02-19-2003, 06:38 PM
WHY would they offer him a 2 yr deal, when he wanted a Guaranteed 6th year offer from the Indians?

Maybe a two-year contract could have been the discount he was rumored to be willing to allow for the opportunity to play his home games in a green cathedral and be managed by Dusty Baker. Maybe when he talked to the Tribune Co., nobody was listening.

Hangar18
02-20-2003, 07:47 AM
No. The Only "discount" he was giving the CUbs was the right to have him playing for them. Like I said, I lost a TON of respect for Jim Thome when he did that.

DrCrawdad
02-20-2003, 01:00 PM
No. The Only "discount" he was giving the CUbs was the right to have him playing for them. Like I said, I lost a TON of respect for Jim Thome when he did that.

Do you have any quotes from Thome or Cub brass that the Cubs ever even discussed a two-year contract with Thome?

From what I've read no one, not Thome or the Cubs, have said that a two year deal was discussed but that Thome wasn't interested.

Hey, I can understand that the Cubs wouldn't sign Thome for 6 years. And if I were Thome, why sign a 2-year deal when you've been offered longer deals (from Cleveland and finally Philadelphia) but at least from what I've read the Cubs didn't even see if Thome might go for a two year contract.

- DrCrawdad.