08-14-2001, 03:55 PM
If only Peter Gammons could present the issue without:

1) Drewling on himself
2) hypnotising the audience with his amazing dancing trio of chins
3) messing his pants...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/bp/1239424.html

Soxboyrob
08-14-2001, 04:06 PM
Gammons perfectly iterated my feelings on the Buehrle issue, that being that he's as good or better than all of the AL pitchers but is not really capable of winning the Cy Young award. From my estimation, he went out of his way to point out what a solid pitcher Mark is.

Randar68
08-14-2001, 04:10 PM
Gammons perfectly iterated my feelings on the Buehrle issue, that being that he's as good or better than all of the AL pitchers but is not really capable of winning the Cy Young award. From my estimation, he went out of his way to point out what a solid pitcher Mark is.

Well, Gammons didn't write this article, if that's what you thought or were referring to.

The guy who wrote this, Joe Sheehan, hit the nail on the head, IMO as well.

Fisk Fan
08-14-2001, 04:17 PM
:boston

Can you see my gobbler?

Soxboyrob
08-14-2001, 04:22 PM
Sorry, I thought it was a Gammons written piece. I've seen say about the same thing as this article. Hopefully nobody will notice how good Buehrle is until after we sign the guy for a lifetime contract.

Fisk Fan
08-14-2001, 04:30 PM
If you notice on the bottom of the article it states "support-neutral stats" which is the way it ought to be. The numbers never lie, they are just mis-represented when idiots like Gobbler Gammons put their little twist on the facts.

Randar68
08-14-2001, 04:31 PM
Sorry, I thought it was a Gammons written piece. I've seen say about the same thing as this article. Hopefully nobody will notice how good Buehrle is until after we sign the guy for a lifetime contract.

I've seen Gammons rave about him as well, but his rant about the Cy Young on the radio yesterday nearly made me puke. He becomes completely infatuated with players and all shred of objectivity goes out the window.

BTW, Another measure of Buehrle's dominance is WHIP:

Randy Johnson 0.97 leads the NL

Buehrle 0.98 leads the AL.

the next closest to Buehrle in the AL is Mulder with 1.12, a full .14 higher and more than one runner per nine innings more allowed.

After Mulder, .11 separates the next 10 closest!!!

That is downright dominant. Buehrle allows 1.26 fewer runners per 9 IP than the next closest pitcher in the AL!!!!!!

Iguana775
08-14-2001, 04:48 PM
also, his run support is pretty pathetic. 4.5 runs a game for poor ol' burly. he could easily have 13 -15 wins if we had the offense we had last year.

rmusacch
08-14-2001, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Well, Gammons didn't write this article, if that's what you thought or were referring to.

The guy who wrote this, Joe Sheehan, hit the nail on the head, IMO as well.

What I want to know is why Buehrle and Mays have no real chance. This is supposed to be the award for the best pitcher in the league, not the best pitcher on the playoff teams.

rmusacch
08-14-2001, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
also, his run support is pretty pathetic. 4.5 runs a game for poor ol' burly. he could easily have 13 -15 wins if we had the offense we had last year.

4.5 runs a game is pathetic? A good pitcher should win a motherload of the games where he gets 4.5 runs of support.

danman31
08-14-2001, 07:14 PM
Well, his era is 2.9. If the bullpen gives up 2 runs outside what Buehrle gave up, he gets the loss. Our bullpen sure hasn't helped him either.

Bmr31
08-14-2001, 07:54 PM
whip is an excellent indicator ....