PDA

View Full Version : What is Brian Daubachs Uniform # going to be?

Hangar18
02-18-2003, 09:08 PM
I was just on the Sox website, and Noticed he wasnt even listed on the 40 man Roster. Anyone know what his number is supposed to be ??

Daver
02-18-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I was just on the Sox website, and Noticed he wasnt even listed on the 40 man Roster. Anyone know what his number is supposed to be ??

He has to make the team first.

He signed a minor league contract,with no guarantee of making the 25 man roster,I bet the management of the Charlotte Knights are hoping beyond hope he doesn't make the roster.........

:)

delben91
02-18-2003, 09:11 PM
Maybe the number he had in Boston, whatever that was (anybody know?). I guess he could take Liefer's old number, 39 I think?

Hangar18
02-18-2003, 09:14 PM
Thanks Daver for the reply.
I forgot that he signed a minor league deal. I think its safe to say hes going to make the team. Curious that the Sox didnt even give him a number yet. Bet he takes #77

HawkDJ
02-18-2003, 09:40 PM
He was #23 on the Red Sox. He'll probably take that.

czalgosz
02-18-2003, 09:57 PM
#23 would be a shame... wouldn't he be the first since Ventura to wear that number?

duke of dorwood
02-18-2003, 10:01 PM
You know, he's never had a Spring Training in Arizona before. I bet he puts up HUGE numbers out there. He'll make this team.

baggio202
02-18-2003, 10:58 PM
if daubach doesnt make this team then ill know its just business as usual...

daubach was a fan favorite in beantown...which really surprised when i went to the red sox board to ask about him..this is a summary of what i got from them

daubach's history is real interesting...he might be the streakiest hitter in the game today...he could go 15 for 20 one week with 3 homers then go 0 for the next week...he gets hot and cold that fast...but by the end of each season his number are eerily similiar to the year before...over a season no one could have been more consistent the last 4 years than brian daubach....but what beantown fans really like about daubach was when he was in a funk he always found ways to be productive...drawing a walk , moving up base runners on an out, sac fly...he finds a way to help the team...defensively they say he is slow but if gets to it he catches it..average arm..cant steal a base but wont run you out of an inning either....he's known for doing the little things, knows the game well , has a great work ethic and was a clubhouse leader in beantown...

if he doesnt make our team ill be pissed..not that the sox would care :whiner:

nut_stock
02-19-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz
#23 would be a shame... wouldn't he be the first since Ventura to wear that number?

23 is worn by bench coach Joe Nossek.

Hangar18
02-19-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
23 is worn by bench coach Joe Nossek. \

Coaches wearing player numbers is STUPID. Ever since I was a kid, and Id see a coach walking around on the field, I always thought it was the Dumbest thing Ive ever seen. Like hes all suited up and might pinch hit later that day or something. Just takes away good numbers for players. Coaches should wear numbers in the 60's and 70's if Anything.

Hangar18
02-19-2003, 09:23 AM
would be cool to see Daubach with #23, but Liefers
old #39 will look perfect on him too.

Juan Pizarro
02-19-2003, 10:39 AM
Just as long as he's got a number!
This was one of the cheapest, savviest pickups for the Sox in years. A true power lefty off the bench, a guy who's done it, not just a "potential" hitter.
Really, getting him, Rios, Gordon and Rick White restored a lot of my faith in Kenny W. He means business, and not just in the high-profile deals.

EnricoPallazzo
02-19-2003, 01:39 PM
He hit over 20 HRs with over 70 RBI in each of the past 4 seasons. There is no way he doesn't make the team. He is a great pick up. My concern here is that Manuel won't get him enough ABs. He can sub for Lee, Konerko, Thomas, and Mags to keep them from wearing down. I'll be disappointed if he's not in the lineup an average of 4 times per week (unless Lee breaks out). I don't like seeing anyone wearing 23. Robin was such an integral part of this team for so long it just doesn't feel right to have anyone wearing his number so soon after his departure.

Foulke You
02-19-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

daubach's history is real interesting...he might be the streakiest hitter in the game today...he could go 15 for 20 one week with 3 homers then go 0 for the next week...he gets hot and cold that fast...

sounds a lot like Ray Durham :D:

hold2dibber
02-19-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by EnricoPallazzo
He hit over 20 HRs with over 70 RBI in each of the past 4 seasons. There is no way he doesn't make the team. He is a great pick up. My concern here is that Manuel won't get him enough ABs. He can sub for Lee, Konerko, Thomas, and Mags to keep them from wearing down. I'll be disappointed if he's not in the lineup an average of 4 times per week (unless Lee breaks out).

Hopefully Manuel can get Daubach at least 350 ABs during the course of the season. Not only is he a solid hitter, he's also a left handed hitter, and the Sox' lineup is very right handed without him in there. If he gets 20-22 starts apiece in place of Lee, Thomas and PK and 10-12 in place of Maggs, that gets him 75 starts and over 300 plate appearances and keeps those other guys fresher.

MarkEdward
02-19-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
\

Coaches wearing player numbers is STUPID. Ever since I was a kid, and Id see a coach walking around on the field, I always thought it was the Dumbest thing Ive ever seen. Like hes all suited up and might pinch hit later that day or something. Just takes away good numbers for players. Coaches should wear numbers in the 60's and 70's if Anything.

Would you rather see them in suits and ties?

Hangar18
02-19-2003, 04:29 PM
No suits and ties....but they could just wear the batting practive type stuff. no reason for an entire uniform, complete with numbers. dumb

czalgosz
02-19-2003, 04:33 PM
Why not suits and ties? Connie Mack wore a suit and a tie...

The only reason I can think for coaches wearing uniforms is that baseball is the only sport that allows coaches on the field of play for anything other than an emergency. The uniform shows that they belong out there.

delben91
02-19-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
sounds a lot like Ray Durham :D:

Except whereas Ray just thought he was a power hitter and only had warning track power, Daubach actually IS a power hitter. :D:

gogosoxgogo
02-19-2003, 05:39 PM
Daubach will make the team, there's not much speculation of that. He is going to be a big part of this team. His work ethic, power, leadership, presence in the club house, and 'leftiness' are just what the doctor ordered.

czalgosz
02-19-2003, 05:44 PM
So, with 14 position players -

Definites -

Thomas
Konerko
Jimenez
Valentin
Lee
Ordonez
Crede
Alomar

Probables -

Graffanino
Rowand (due to injury)
Daubach
Paul
Olivo

Bubble -

Rios
Harris
Brumbaugh (actually a better option than Rowand IMO)
Borchard

Only one of those guys on the bubble is making the team, and that's only if the Sox decide against a 12th pitcher.

The final makeup of this team will be interesting and very important. I just remember April 2001 and shudder...

gogosoxgogo
02-19-2003, 05:49 PM
So, with 14 position players -

Definites -

Thomas
Konerko
Jimenez
Valentin
Lee
Ordonez
Crede
Alomar

Probables -

Graffanino
Rowand (due to injury)
Daubach
Paul
Olivo

Bubble -

Rios
Harris
Brumbaugh (actually a better option than Rowand IMO)
Borchard

Only one of those guys on the bubble is making the team, and that's only if the Sox decide against a 12th pitcher.

The final makeup of this team will be interesting and very important. I just remember April 2001 and shudder...

I'm continuing to hold out hope that Paul doesn't make the team. Carrying 3 catchers, and one who isn't all too good at that, is such a waste of roster space. Assuming, that is true, both Rios and Harris will make the major league squad. Borchard will be up by the all star break, Harris will go down. If Paul does in fact make the team (!), it would go down between Harris and Rios. IMO, it would be Harris, due to his versitility, and he being the only one who could play center.

czalgosz
02-19-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
I'm continuing to hold out hope that Paul doesn't make the team. Carrying 3 catchers, and one who isn't all too good at that, is such a waste of roster space. Assuming, that is true, both Rios and Harris will make the major league squad. Borchard will be up by the all star break, Harris will go down. If Paul does in fact make the team (!), it would go down between Harris and Rios. IMO, it would be Harris, due to his versitility, and he being the only one who could play center.

I agree - I've never been a big Josh Paul fan. I wish the A's had taken him instead of Johnson. If the Sox still had Johnson, they could have done without signing Alomar and let Paul go. A platoon of Johnson/Olivo looks good. A three-headed monster of Olivo/Alomar/Paul is a nightmare.

BTW, I don't think Charlotte's an option for Paul any more. He's got to be out of options by now.

gogosoxgogo
02-19-2003, 06:12 PM
BTW, I don't think Charlotte's an option for Paul any more. He's got to be out of options by now.

He is out of options. That's the problem I see with this. We definately do need 3 catchers due to Alomar's injury problems, but I don't want all 3 at the major league level. I want Paul to go down to AAA, but I'm afraid he'll be claimed by some team like Tampa Bay or at least signed to a major league contract. When that happens, we're basically screwed and stuck with Olivo as our only healthy catcher.

czalgosz
02-19-2003, 06:20 PM
Which is why I've been thinking that if I ran the team, Olivo would start the year in AAA. I'm well aware that he's the team's best catcher, but carrying three is such a handicap.

Of course, with Paul's versatility, it's like having a second utility infielder!

hold2dibber
02-19-2003, 06:29 PM
He is out of options. That's the problem I see with this. We definately do need 3 catchers due to Alomar's injury problems, but I don't want all 3 at the major league level. I want Paul to go down to AAA, but I'm afraid he'll be claimed by some team like Tampa Bay or at least signed to a major league contract. When that happens, we're basically screwed and stuck with Olivo as our only healthy catcher.

I thought KW signed some half way decent journey man catcher to a minor league contract a few weeks ago. Am I halucinating (again)?

Foulke You
02-19-2003, 06:30 PM
Which is why I've been thinking that if I ran the team, Olivo would start the year in AAA. I'm well aware that he's the team's best catcher, but carrying three is such a handicap.

Of course, with Paul's versatility, it's like having a second utility infielder!

I believe it will take an amazing spring training by Olivo to make the team. The Sox just won't carry 3 catchers. They can assign Olivo to AAA and spout the usual organization stuff like "we have a timetable with Miguel, remember he was only in AA last year." and then they will give Josh Paul his FINAL chance to prove he belongs in the bigs. If Paul flops, he will get yanked and Miguel recalled. I like Josh Paul as a person, he seems nice enough and is a local kid who grew up as a Sox fan but he just hasn't shown me the tools to be a catcher. Too many pass balls, no arm, etc.

Daver
02-19-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I thought KW signed some half way decent journey man catcher to a minor league contract a few weeks ago. Am I halucinating (again)?

He signed Jamie Burke to a minor league deal,mostly to give the Charlotte Knights a catcher on their roster,they did not have one before the signing of Burke.

gogosoxgogo
02-19-2003, 06:38 PM

As Daver said, he signed that career minor-leaguer. We're still going to need someone to catch in the bigs.

hold2dibber
02-20-2003, 10:09 AM
As Daver said, he signed that career minor-leaguer. We're still going to need someone to catch in the bigs.

My question is, is Burke a better receiver than Paul (or at least as "good")? If so, then the team really has no reason to care if Paul is claimed on waivers should he be sent down. And what happened to my man Mark Dallesandro?

Daver
02-20-2003, 06:02 PM
And what happened to my man Mark Dallesandro?

He filed for minor league FA.

doctor30th
02-23-2003, 02:21 AM
Just for those who wondered. Bruce Kimm and Rafael Santana still don't have thier numbers listed, nor does most of the Non-Roster invitees (except Valenzuela) but based on this info, these are the number left available:

1,6,10,13,21,26,31,39,57,60-63,66-71,73-00

Granted People have purchased numbers from other player before, like Clayton bought 10 from Mark Johnson, and Alomar Bought 15 from Josh Paul.

From What I understand when they buy a number, they can literally give the guy some money to change his number, but often when the player isn't attached to the number they will just give it up. Though I do remember a story from Ed Farmer that he gave a guy a 12-pack of beer and 40 Bucks to get his number when he went to Detroit or Philadelphia.

Anyone Care to guess what Daubach, Loaiza, Heredia and the two coaches are going to take?

I think
Daubach 26 (Close to Old Number)
Loaiza 21 (His Number on Toronto)
Heredia 31 (His Number with A's)
Kimm 10 (his Number When he managed the Cubs)
Santana 6 (I think his number used to be 3 which is unavailable)

But Daubach could pick 31 or 39 (His Age or Convience because it's Liefer's old one)
Heredia 37 (His Age)

HawkDJ
02-23-2003, 01:25 PM
Well it's official ...Daubach has #26.

doctor30th
02-23-2003, 01:40 PM
Just out of curiousity where did you find that out. Was he like on the news or something?

HawkDJ
02-23-2003, 02:19 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sox_story.asp?intID=3767421

"At least they gave me a good number,'' said Daubach, who is going to wear No. 26 with the White Sox. "In my situation, you never know. They could have given me (No.) 76.''