PDA

View Full Version : Garland #52 to #20?

Foulke You
02-18-2003, 05:25 PM
Watching the news last night I had the chance to see our pitchers all warming up and it looks like Jon Garland has chosen a new number. He was wearing #20. Hope you Garland fans out there don't have outdated jerseys now. :D:

Randar68
02-18-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Watching the news last night I had the chance to see our pitchers all warming up and it looks like Jon Garland has chosen a new number. He was wearing #20. Hope you Garland fans out there don't have outdated jerseys now. :D:

From yesterday's Cubune...

"Jon Garland traded in No. 52 for No. 20, Matt Ginter goes from No. 58 to No. 32 and Aaron Rowand changes from Reggie Jackson (No. 44) to Larry Bird (No. 33).

Dan Wright apparently will switch from No. 36 to No. 46 to accommodate new teammate Tom Gordon. "

Foulke You
02-18-2003, 05:32 PM
Sheesh. Gonna need a scorecard next year. Has Bartolo chosen a number? Will Koch take #44 now?

Hangar18
02-18-2003, 05:33 PM
Someone posted a thread called Uniform Numbers already.
Garland looks like a # 20 to me too. good choice.

czalgosz
02-18-2003, 05:48 PM
Sheesh. Gonna need a scorecard next year. Has Bartolo chosen a number? Will Koch take #44 now?

The official site has the updates... It has Koch listed as #44, and Colon listed as #40.

Daver
02-18-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
The official site has the updates... It has Koch listed as #44, and Colon listed as #40.

Good to see you back Czal. :redneck

czalgosz
02-18-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by daver

Good to be back...

Now, who is this Bartolo Colon person again?

kermittheefrog
02-18-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by daver

I second that one.

T Dog
02-18-2003, 06:39 PM
It seems strange that Garland waited so long to change his number. It used to be that pitchers given high numbers when trying to make the team would grab something lower when they made the big leagues. Now they often will choose to keep high numbers for superstitious or sentimental reasons. I wonder if there is any significance to this spring's number changes.

I have a 1960s picture of a stud first-round-draft-choice-thumbs-intact Carlos May wearing 29 on his uniform. There must have been some discrepancy involving his birth certificate.

jeremyb1
02-18-2003, 07:16 PM
i always kinda liked 52. i like high numbers since not to many guys have them and also probably because i was a huge fisk fan as a kid and his number was as high as just about anyone. oh well. maybe they'll sell #52 jersey's at a discount now. i'd buy one.

czalgosz
02-18-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i always kinda liked 52. i like high numbers since not to many guys have them and also probably because i was a huge fisk fan as a kid and his number was as high as just about anyone. oh well. maybe they'll sell #52 jersey's at a discount now. i'd buy one.

Fisk was #72 because his # with Boston was 27 and was unavailable when he signed with the White Sox, so he just reversed it.

In general, players like having lower numbers because traditionally, the higher numbers are given to scrubs who won't make the team out of Spring Training. Having a number in the 20s or 30s as a pitcher means you are a real member of the team, not some career minor-leaguer (although Ginter getting a lower number is kind of scary).

HawkDJ
02-18-2003, 07:33 PM
Koch on taking Rowand's number

"He should have to give it up for being stupid." :D:

More number changes for those who didn't see it the first time it was posted a while ago:
-Olivo is #8
-Jimenez is #5

Foulke You
02-18-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Koch on taking Rowand's number

"He should have to give it up for being stupid." :D:

More number changes for those who didn't see it the first time it was posted a while ago:
-Olivo is #8
-Jimenez is #5

I think Koch is going to be one of the most quotable players this year :D:

czalgosz
02-18-2003, 07:38 PM
I think Koch is going to be one of the most quotable players this year :D:

Something tells me that Billy Koch quotes are going to be on a lot of AL locker room bulletin boards... *sigh*