PDA

View Full Version : Let's Bring Back Uniformity!

Mammoo
02-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Great job, WSI, presenting the White Sox Uniform Guide!

Speaking of uniforms, this is a perfect opportunity to vent.

Webster’s defined the word “uniform” thusly:

Consistent in conduct or opinion, having always the same form, manner, or degree. not varying or variable, of the same form with others, conforming to one rule or mode, presenting an unvaried appearance.

The commissioners office (or whoever handles such things) should dictate that all uniforms be worn...well...uniformly!

I absolutely abhor that pant legs to the ankles look that has become fashionable the last few years. It looks sloppy, slovenly, haphazard and unbecoming. I want to see a return to the proper pants length with the sock and stirrup plainly visible, (see Early Wynn).

http://www.1959whitesox.com/images/game1.jpg

The NFL takes abuse as the no fun league because they require the uniforms to be worn properly. Controversy centering on dew rags and visible sock stripes have made the news. Call it anal if you want, but it makes for a better-looking team when everyone dresses the same.

I root for the White Sox; is it too much to ask that the uniform represent the “white sock” in it’s presentation?

There, I feel better!

doublem23
02-18-2003, 03:52 PM
Knee high socks are the ****.

The uniform guide was really good, by the way.

Nellie_Fox
02-18-2003, 04:10 PM
They regulate sleeve length (as when Dion Sanders wasn't permitted to wear half length sleeves as a tribute to Jackie Robinson unless all the Reds wore them) but trouser length is all over the place. I've never understood that. I also hate the pants on the shoetops look. They're supposed to be knickers.

bc2k
02-18-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Knee high socks are the ****.

I agree, it was the only think I liked about Clayton.

soxnut
02-18-2003, 06:30 PM
Yeah I love the knicker look too. That's a baseball uniform!! :D: The long pants look stupid. :angry:

AND WHERE ARE THE WHITE SOX?? :(:

longshot7
02-18-2003, 08:27 PM
And get Ichiro to take his first name off the back of his jersey. God, I hate that. Who is he, Cher?

PaleHoseGeorge
02-18-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
And get Ichiro to take his first name off the back of his jersey. God, I hate that. Who is he, Cher?

LOL! Yes, of course! If we're not careful, we'll end up with ballplayers named "He Hate Me."

:)

Brian26
02-18-2003, 08:39 PM
You learn something new everyday.

I finally know why the white socks beneath the stirrups are called "sanitary" socks. It's due to the possible blood poisoning from the ink from the early colored sock/stirrups.

GREAT article.
Thanks.