PDA

View Full Version : Attn Jerry Reinsdorf: Ideas for your Stadium on 35th St.

Hangar18
02-18-2003, 01:19 PM
Uncle Jerry, heres a couple of ideas for you to ponder.
Click on the Phillies website, and look at the beautiful park their building (not very original, copying alot of AL parks) but awesome.
ALso, CLICK on the Reds website for their new Stadium, Great American Ballpark. Really awesome.

Hangar18
02-18-2003, 01:27 PM
Remember the old scoreboard from Old COmiskey? Pre-JumboTron? Well, lets build something a little more old fashioned, but with Hi-Tech gadgets. When Veeck first built that thing, he put the brightest lights and decorations on it. Its what the SOX were known for, and somehow, in the new stadium, became a giant billboard with a JumboTron on it now. terrible.

Also, why dont you guys put the "faux" buildings on the entire concourse, instead of a stupid Hat Shop, or Giant Wall Schedule.
Its a tremendous waste of space, and when people in China, Zimbabwe, and Houston TX see hilites of Magglio hitting homers into the seats...thats what they see of Comiskey. A Drab, Cap Shop, a giant Tribune Billboard, and Industrial, White painted Brick. TERRIBLE

Hangar18
02-18-2003, 01:35 PM
Bullpen Sports Bar. Great Idea. Terribly Executed however.
You took a great concept, and built it half-ass. Then, compounded that by making it Bigger outside (great idea) but simply blocking more of the view inside and only putting about 4 more tables out there (Terrible Execution) Another Terrible Waste of Space. Dont get me wrong. I like the place, and not because of the Aesthetics. How about more than just 1 bathroom down there? How about sprucing the place up? When im down there, I feel like im in some Warehouse in Bridgeview with a Bar in the middle of it, and Some Sox Team Photos here and there. Terrible. For Ideas, Look to Miller Park and the Fridays they have there. Well Done. and even if you can sit outside, you can still see the entire field from the bar. Cant do that here unfortuneately.

gosox41
02-18-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Bullpen Sports Bar. Great Idea. Terribly Executed however.
You took a great concept, and built it half-ass. Then, compounded that by making it Bigger outside (great idea) but simply blocking more of the view inside and only putting about 4 more tables out there (Terrible Execution) Another Terrible Waste of Space. Dont get me wrong. I like the place, and not because of the Aesthetics. How about more than just 1 bathroom down there? How about sprucing the place up? When im down there, I feel like im in some Warehouse in Bridgeview with a Bar in the middle of it, and Some Sox Team Photos here and there. Terrible. For Ideas, Look to Miller Park and the Fridays they have there. Well Done. and even if you can sit outside, you can still see the entire field from the bar. Cant do that here unfortuneately.

:reinsy
It doesn't matter what you think. Just because you're a customer doesn't mean I have to listen to you. I'll dictate the way things are. Until I make you a part of my secret focus group, you'll just have to put up with things the way they are.

Hangar18
02-18-2003, 01:59 PM
And speaking of Terrible Wastes of Space.....wouldnt it have been better to have Located the Bullpen Bar in LF instead? So it could be a Year Round Destination (like the Fridays in Milwaukee, or the Sports bar to be built in Philly etc etc etc) ALong these lines, instead of a giant concrete slab across 35th street....How about letting a Developer put some buildings there to house People, restaurants, and more bars? Now wait Jerry, I know how you think. your thinking wait a second,,,,,I dont want anyone buying beer from someone else besides me. Well, the other team 8 miles North hasnt gone out of Business yet because of all the other restaurants, bars and related industries that have popped up and around that place have they? No. they havnt. In fact, theyre doing quite nicely ($$$wise anyway). THeyve simply siphoned off some of the fringe and casual fans (the very fans your study is saying havnt been around lately) towards their business. the more people are AROUND your business, the more apt they are to spend. Bad business models Jerry. Bad Jerry. Bad Jerry

Sad
02-18-2003, 02:29 PM
I've never understood the attraction to that Bullpen sports bar other than perhaps before the game... and even then, I prefer the lot (unless it's a really humid day) :gulp:

I got a real "couped-up" feeling the couple times I wandered down there... probably doesnt help any that I don't like sitting in the outfield to begin with

but I didn't really feel like I was at the ball park :?: and then looking out onto the field was a real challenge as my eyes wanted to focus on one of the two layers of chain-link fence in-between me and the field...

I'll pass on that one...

Hullett_Fan
02-18-2003, 02:31 PM
Remember the old scoreboard from Old COmiskey? Pre-JumboTron? Well, lets build something a little more old fashioned, but with Hi-Tech gadgets. When Veeck first built that thing, he put the brightest lights and decorations on it. Its what the SOX were known for, and somehow, in the new stadium, became a giant billboard with a JumboTron on it now. terrible.

Couldn't agree more Hangar! The current board just looks like part of the "Ring of Advertising" that JR has put up for our viewing pleasure. I particularly disdain the Price-Waterhouse billboard in LF with the stockticker...sickening...no place for that in a ballpark. The old scoreboard (pre 1982) was awesome. It towered over everything else and you feared it might fall over everytime the fireworks went off.

IIRC I read somewhere that they're making changes to the scoreboard this offseason :?:

Brian26
02-18-2003, 08:51 PM
Isn't the Bullpen Bar best used as a destination after the game? I've spent many Friday nights down there listening to Wills and Melton analyze the game with Sox players coming down for a beer. You get to stay, while most of the crowd clogs up the expressway on the way home. In the summertime, you can't beat it when there's a cool breeze coming in through the rightfield fence. Cold beer, hot groupie ass. No, I wouldn't watch a game from down there. But I'd sure as hell spend an hour or two down there after the game. To the guy who mentioned it looks like a warehouse: Never forget, you're at a baseball game. Peanuts, beer, and everything else is on the ground. Do you want marble floor and glass ceilings? It's a fricking baseball park. It does the job.

dllrbll7
02-18-2003, 09:53 PM
Do you guys have a problem with the new color scheme? I personally like it but i was at another forum and they were just ripping on it constantly saying it was dark and what not. I think it will look more like a ballpark with the darker color and hopefully green seats next year.

Daver
02-18-2003, 10:04 PM
Uncle Jerry, heres a couple of ideas for you to ponder.

Jerry doesn't own the stadium,and never will,which is why he will not spend his own money on it,almost all the work done to Comiskey Park has come from the State of Illinois,or indirectly from our pockets.

Be careful what you wish for.

duke of dorwood
02-18-2003, 10:13 PM
Hangar is right about having a bar in left field with 35th St access. It might be the beginning of a bar re=emergance on 35th