PDA

View Full Version : Reinsy's Poll

voodoochile
02-18-2003, 10:55 AM
Have you ever gone to a game and not known the score when you left?

hold2dibber
02-18-2003, 11:14 AM
I always know the score at the end of the game, although I must admit to one exception - opening day of the new park, after it got up to about 14-0, I completely stopped paying attention and I don't think I knew the final horrific tally when I left the park.

joecrede
02-18-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Have you ever gone to a game and not known the score when you left?

It's happened, but I've always known the winner.

I want to see them win obviously, but when I'm at the park on a warm summer's night in July entertaining friends, it's not as important. Season's too long to get worked up over a loss here or there. That's one of the reasons this is the best sport ever invented.

nut_stock
02-18-2003, 11:44 AM
I always know the score at the end of the game. In fact, 90% of the time durring the game. However, There was a game in the Bullpen Patio where I indeed missed most of the game,but still new the final score. ( Its a good thing the numbers are big on the score board) I remember Maggs getting up and hitting a homerun and thinking, How and when did Valentin get on base? , or not noticing that the Sox went to the bullpen.

Too my credit however, I was not wearing a floppy hat that day and I did not bring a cell phone in.

whitesoxwilkes
02-18-2003, 03:17 PM
No matter how drunk I am (which is usually pretty crocked) I still keep score at EVERY game.

SoxRulecubsdrool
02-18-2003, 04:13 PM
Most games I need to be wheeled out. However I can usually give you a pretty accurate score plus/minus 2 runs or so and can correctly give you the winner.

:gulp:

SuckerforSox
02-18-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by SoxRulecubsdrool
Most games I need to be wheeled out. However I can usually give you a pretty accurate score plus/minus 2 runs or so and can correctly give you the winner.

Fair enough. Honesty counts.

dllrbll7
02-18-2003, 06:56 PM
I think anyone who is on this site will at least know the winner of each game. Sometimes depending on what type of game it is the final score i remember may be off by a few runs but it is always in the same ballpark. I wish we could poll the people coming out of wrigley and see how many of them actually know the winner of the game.

SouthSideHitman
02-18-2003, 08:02 PM
Although I am under the legal drinking age, I do keep score at every game and I always know the score at the end. Hell, I even stay to the end of every game, no matter how lopsided either way.

voodoochile
02-18-2003, 08:07 PM
See, I want to hear from the people who say they don't attend. I want to hear why. Logistics, or is it something else (some combination of the many theories that abound about why the Sox don't draw like they should in a town this size).

Those are the people JR needs to reach. Because if they come here to post, they clearly give a damn about the team which means they are the team's best marketing tools also.

Happy customers make for good business, period...

SuckerforSox
02-18-2003, 08:19 PM
See, I want to hear from the people who say they don't attend. I want to hear why. Logistics, or is it something else (some combination of the many theories that abound about why the Sox don't draw like they should in a town this size).

Those are the people JR needs to reach. Because if they come here to post, they clearly give a damn about the team which means they are the team's best marketing tools also.

I rambled way too long in the Reinsdorf Poll thread about this, but I think it has to do with perceptions people have about going. Some true some false. Whether it is the neighborhood, or the traffic getting to the game. I think if they were smart they'd take U.S. Cell's money and used it as a down payment on a new park South of downtown. For reasons why see the other thread.

I do think that the people who do make it to the games have a good time though. I haven't heard anyone say they had a bad time at a Sox game because of the park or anything associated with it. Maybe they saw a bad game, but it hasn't had to do with the experience in the park. People just won't go out of their way these days.

Mammoo
02-18-2003, 11:11 PM
If you have seen my profile and read my posts, you've probably figured out that I am a life long Sox fan. One of the reasons that I enjoy this site is the warm memories that flood back as we discuss the White Sox.

I think the last game I went to was about five years ago. Back then I went to one or two a year and that was because a relative of mine was politically connected and we sat in the luxury (Diamond) suites (very swanky).

In 1977, I wasn't making very good bread and my kids were 5 and 3 years of age. What a summer it was. Remember, the “Pitch At Risk To Zisk” and “Oh, For The Long One” signs in left field? The wife and I budgeted to be able to attend games. We must have gone to about thirty that year. What memories!

The Curt Flood and Andy Messrsmith decisions changed the game forever. It changed it for me as well. It was frustrating to lose Richie Zisk and Oscar Gamble. Ron Blomberg was a poor replacement. It was obvious that Bill Veeck couldn’t compete. He tried to keep it going but the franchise became a laughingstock culminating in the Disco Demolition fiasco. Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall did indeed become bigger than the team, and rightly so. Rumors that Veeck was considering selling the team to Edward DeBartolo so he could move it Denver were rampant and unbelievable to this lifelong fan.

Well, Einhorn and Reinsdorf came along and kept the team in Chicago, insulted the Veeck regime, dumped Harry Caray and instituted On-TV. They also signed some free agents (Fisk, Luzinski, Paciorek) and won a division in 1983. I went to the All-Star Game at Old Comiskey that year.

With ticket prices going up and the Sox on PAY-TV for a portion of the schedule, I found other things to do with my money and time. I followed the Sox but had lost the passion. The final heartbreak was when they tore down Old Comiskey.

Let me say right here that I have nothing against the new place. It's cleaner, more spacious and I dig the design. You see, if they had made an exact replica of Comiskey, it still would have been an imitation as far as I was concerned. I thought, how do you destroy a place where Babe Ruth, Shoeless Joe Jackson, Lou Gehrig, Hank Greenburg, Luke Appling, Jimmy Foxx, Nellie Fox and so many others played? Hell, what about all the great Negro teams that played there?

Anyhoo, time marches on and the old gal had to go, so it lies buried in a landfill somewhere. All the great parks are gone except Wrigley, Fenway and the refurbished Yankee Stadium, so hearts have been broken all over the country I guess.

I hope the White Sox do well this year, because the fans deserve it. It’s a shame that this historic franchise takes a back seat to the Cubs, but until they go to a World Series I fear it will always be thus! For the record, I have been in Wrigley Field once, to see the Bears and Packers in 1969! Christ, I get the willies just driving past it!

These days, I’m a Bears season ticket holder going on five years. I chose to spend my disposable entertainment dollar on another team I have loved all my life. Thing are changing in pro football as well, but the NFL seems to have handled it so much better than MLB. Funny, I support the Bears and the “New Soldier Field” but then again it doesn’t hold the wonderful memories of Comiskey Park.

My Brother and my Nephew came in from Portland, Oregon about a month ago. The nephew wanted to see Comsikey Park so we took a ride and drove around the park. Then I took him across the street to where the original once stood. It was a cold, windy night, but we got out of the car and walked over to the home plate replica, batter’s box and foul lines that are painted on the parking lot surface. We stood in silence, our minds racing with historic events from days gone by. Hoping that the left-handed batter’s box was accurate, I had my nephew stand in it and told him that’s where Babe Ruth stood. I told him that Ted Kluzewski hit a home run in the first game of the 1959 World Series from this spot. He understood.

As is the case with deep rooted, lasting change, my feelings toward baseball and the White Sox eroded over time. This was less a boycott and more an evolution.

Thanks for listening!

voodoochile
02-18-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
...Thanks for listening!

Thanks for sharing...

WhiteSoxWinner
02-18-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by SoxRulecubsdrool

I'm with this opinion. Where is this option on the poll?

TheBigHurt
02-18-2003, 11:48 PM
one of the few sox fans on this board thats never been to comiskey....i only go to sox games at yankee stadium

voodoochile
02-19-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
I'm with this opinion. Where is this option on the poll?

That would be choice number 2 (sometimes includes the concept of regularly by definition)

WhiteSoxWinner
02-19-2003, 12:09 AM
Ah ha!!! My bad. I took it to mean you didn't know who won either.

doublem23
02-19-2003, 01:03 AM
I keep score at every game I go to, so I can usually tell you stuff a little more in depth than just the final score :)

EnricoPallazzo
02-19-2003, 01:22 AM
I'm usually pretty snakey by game's end, but I certainly know the score and who won. Except the 1st game at the new park. I can't help you on the score there dibber. I think it was 34-0. Rob Deer hit 8 HRs and Fielder hit 7 as I recall.

fado
02-19-2003, 12:53 PM
Been a while since I've written anything here and I came in today and thought what the hell. I'm a big fan of :gulp: but most of the time I can tell you who won. There have been times that I have sung the Sweet Home Chicago song after a Sox win, and then sat back down only to have a friend tell me that the game was over and the Sox won, but that hasn't happened in a while (last season is a while right?)

Iwritecode
02-19-2003, 01:16 PM

I didn't choose the "I don't go to games" option on the poll but I sure don't get to very many. The only 2 reasons are time and money. I don't have much of either one. It's nothing that the Sox organization has done or can help me with.

Actually they could by giving me a high-paying, low hours job within the organization. Then I'd have plenty of both... :D:

voodoochile
02-19-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I didn't choose the "I don't go to games" option on the poll but I sure don't get to very many. The only 2 reasons are time and money. I don't have much of either one. It's nothing that the Sox organization has done or can help me with.

Those are mostly "logistic reasons" and there isn't much JR or any owner can do to overcome them (same with people like FWC and Nellie who live to far away).

Still, JR could do more to attract your attention (American Girl Sox Uni's would help, IIRC) and financial considerations are always good. Maybe a children's price ticket like they do at movies, or combination, tickets and kid's meal for a set price.

czalgosz
02-19-2003, 03:58 PM
Well, I live in San Francisco, so I only see the Sox live when they're playing the A's. I haven't been to Comiskey since I think 1994.

gogosoxgogo
02-19-2003, 06:58 PM
My guess is that Reinsdorf conducted this by polling a bunch of 7 year olds in the bleacher section.

:reinsy
"OK little boy, can you tell me the name of the right handed middle reliever on the Phoenix White Sox who gave up the game winning run on July 19th of last year?"

Iwritecode
02-20-2003, 11:39 AM
Still, JR could do more to attract your attention (American Girl Sox Uni's would help, IIRC)

LOL, you do recall correctly. :smile:

I told my wife that the the Cubs are giving away American Girl jerseys this year.

Her: "But they're CUBS jerseys! If they were giving away Sox jerseys, we'd have to go."

Me: "But the game is on a weekday afternoon. We have to work."

Her: "Guess we'd just have to take a vacation day then."

:)

TheBigHurt
02-20-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
Hell, I even stay to the end of every game, no matter how lopsided either way.

A TRUE FAN!!!!!