PDA

View Full Version : Marte has visa problems.

doctor30th
02-17-2003, 06:07 PM
Nothing big he should be there on monday. Typical I guess for a player from DR.

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030217&content_id=201249&vkey=spt2003news&fext=.jsp

HawkDJ
02-17-2003, 10:47 PM
On another note from that article it should be interesting to hear if a Colon vs. Buehrle intra-squad matchup ever does come up next week.

doctor30th
02-17-2003, 10:49 PM
That does sound good. I wish they would record play by play and put it on the Whitesox.com later in the day. Shoot, even have like Kenny williams and JR do the play by play, I'd still listen.

gosox3072
02-17-2003, 11:54 PM
He had a good reason for being late and he will be here on tuesday so i dont think he will be penalized at all for being late.

34 Inch Stick
02-18-2003, 09:37 AM
What I don't get with foreign born players is why the visa problem is not cleared in advance. You have representatives and lots of time. The day after the season ends, apply for the visa. It's not that difficult.

Would it be against the CBA to insist that all foreign born players report to the city one week in advance. No workouts would be scheduled, just a sign in. That way visa problems would not infringe on legitimate spring training work.

voodoochile
02-18-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
What I don't get with foreign born players is why the visa problem is not cleared in advance. You have representatives and lots of time. The day after the season ends, apply for the visa. It's not that difficult.

Would it be against the CBA to insist that all foreign born players report to the city one week in advance. No workouts would be scheduled, just a sign in. That way visa problems would not infringe on legitimate spring training work.

Given the changes in national security, I am surprised more teams don't do something to ensure this stuff doesn't happen. They are going to have to create a new position - VP in charge of player visas - to deal with this issue.

FanOf14
02-18-2003, 11:08 AM
I don't understand why the players aren't capable of taking care of that themselves. If they want the big bucks to play MLB, they should take that responsibility of getting themselves there on time.

voodoochile
02-18-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by FanOf14
I don't understand why the players aren't capable of taking care of that themselves. If they want the big bucks to play MLB, they should take that responsibility of getting themselves there on time.

Ideally you are correct, but isn't it in the team's best interests to follow up and make sure there are no problems?

No professional athlete has ever decided to let things go until the last minute in the hopes of spending a couple of more days with family and a few less days running windsprints...

:shammy
"What I meant to say is, 'I'll be on time for training camp unless I have visa problems.' "

:D:

FanOf14
02-18-2003, 11:20 AM
Yeah, they should check up on them (with the cash they are spending on them), but these guys are adults shouldn't even need someone to check up on them...

SLAP!!!!! There I go again, thinking ideally and logically!!! :)

Seriously though, I know where you are coming from VooDoo, and I agree with what you are saying. I am just sick of people not being responsible for themselves.

upnorthsox
02-18-2003, 11:40 AM
Marte had a problem with his flight not his visa, Diaz had the problem with his visa but he's coming from Venezula which has been a fluid and confusing situation this winter.

I do however agree with your premise that these guys should have their crap together earlier.

Juan Pizarro
02-18-2003, 01:17 PM
Normally I would agree with the prevailing sentiment, but international travel -- especially involving work visas -- is so much harder now. I've personally experienced whole music tours -- which appeared to have been all squared away with Immigrations -- have to be canceled because of a geometric increase in red tape.
I'm willing to cut a little slack this year,