PDA

View Full Version : STOP THE PRESSES! Sham-ME will be at ST on time!

cheeses_h_rice
02-17-2003, 04:28 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-030217cubssosa,1,899373.story?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dhea dlines

__

Golly, you mean showing up at Spring Training with the other members of your team is a newsworthy item?

:shammy

It is if you're me.

:moron

I've already got the adulatory column written for tomorrow, Sammy.

OEO Magglio
02-17-2003, 05:07 PM
I still wouldn't count on him being there on time.

Hangar18
02-17-2003, 05:17 PM
Mike Kileys "story" about Sammy arriving on time will indicate
that the Cubs for sure now are going to the World Series. He'll put some things in there about how every player "respects" Baylo...I mean Baker, and that his arriving on time is a sign for Cub Fans to be ready for anything this year...it just could be the year, he'll put a joke about not even that billy goat would be on time, knowing it was Dusty. This story is also probably already written. Kiley is waiting to hit "send" on his computer. Fred Mitchell also will do his Cub Column disguised as a "QA Session" with one of the following 3 people.
1. Dusty Baker
2. Ron Santo
3. Mark Prior

Mike Kileys next "stories", will be about how different camp is now, and how all the "negativity" is gone now...and this could be the cubs year.....

FarmerAndy
02-17-2003, 05:44 PM
Do you think that it is any coincidence that the big "news" about Sammy comes one day after Frank Thomas and Jim Thome received media praise for being at camp early?

dllrbll7
02-17-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
Do you think that it is any coincidence that the big "news" about Sammy comes one day after Frank Thomas and Jim Thome received media praise for being at camp early?

Ill believe it when i see it but i think Frank may have had a big part in it. Just because Sammy shows up doesnt mean that he will actually do the work like a normal player. He probably will just show up, smile for the camera, and seem like he is a team player.

bc2k
02-17-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Fred Mitchell also will do his Cub Column disguised as a "QA Session" with one of the following 3 people.
1. Dusty Baker
2. Ron Santo
3. Mark Prior

Yeah, I don't get that. Does he do anything besides Q and A? That's not journalism, anybody can do that. What a waste of space.

Fisk Fan
02-18-2003, 08:49 AM
I don't understand what the big deal is. He is supposed to be on-time for Spring Training. It's a real shame that Sally has grown accustomed to showing up late, and it is BIG news that he is showing up on time. What a circus.......

FanOf14
02-18-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
I don't understand what the big deal is. He is supposed to be on-time for Spring Training. It's a real shame that Sally has grown accustomed to showing up late, and it is BIG news that he is showing up on time. What a circus.......

I was talking about that other day with my mom - why is everyone fawning over him for doing what he is supposed to do?

RKMeibalane
02-18-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy

This isn't the least bit surprising. Sosa probably heard Frank was in camp early, so he decided to do the same because he was worried about being overshadowed by his cross-town counterpart.

Cheryl
02-18-2003, 01:23 PM
According to the story I heard on the radio this morning, 'on time' for SamMe means 'when SamMe shows up.' It's in his contract or something, he doesn't have to be there to be there on time to be there on time.

Vsahajpal
02-18-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
According to the story I heard on the radio this morning, 'on time' for SamMe means 'when SamMe shows up.' It's in his contract or something, he doesn't have to be there to be there on time to be there on time.

Actually, Sammy never shows up late per se. The Chicago Cubs set their reporting date a week before the CBA's reporting date (which is Feb. 24th this year). He's actually 6 days early this year! As are the rest of the Cubs, every year.

voodoochile
02-18-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Actually, Sammy never shows up late per se. The Chicago Cubs set their reporting date a week before the CBA's reporting date (which is Feb. 24th this year). He's actually 6 days early this year! As are the rest of the Cubs, every year.

:shammy
"Works for me..."

:moron
"Me too..."

:crossdresser
"me 3 (and 4)...

:hurt
"Didn't work for me..."

Jerry_Manuel
02-18-2003, 07:59 PM
I couldn't sleep till I heard this news.

voodoochile
02-18-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
I couldn't sleep till I heard this news.

POTW (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13)

Viva Magglio
02-18-2003, 10:48 PM
I heard a rumor that Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw, and Peter Jennings are all going to be in Mesa tomorrow for SamME's arrival.