PDA

View Full Version : Colon's Presence

BamaDoc
02-17-2003, 02:56 PM
Be gentle y'all I am a new poster. Try to follow my logic. There has been some discussion that the drop in strikeouts per innings pitched ratio by Colon is due to a maturing process. Buehrle was reported to have learned by watching Wells. Can one hope that Garland and Wright can accelerate their development by watching/charting Colon when he pitches? How is Colon as a mentor? Language problems? Comments welcome. I think Wright may benefit most as I think his style is more similar.

Daver
02-17-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by BamaDoc
Be gentle y'all I am a new poster. Try to follow my logic. There has been some discussion that the drop in strikeouts per innings pitched ratio by Colon is due to a maturing process. Buehrle was reported to have learned by watching Wells. Can one hope that Garland and Wright can accelerate their development by watching/charting Colon when he pitches? How is Colon as a mentor? Language problems? Comments welcome. I think Wright may benefit most as I think his style is more similar.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

gogosoxgogo
02-17-2003, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I definately agree with you about Wright. He could majorly benefit from having Colon on the same team. They are very similar pitchers (with very different weights). I'm not sure I would say Buehrle learned too much from Wells, that fat-ass screwed everyone he could over. I doubt the language issues will be much of a barrier, though there may be a few road blocks here and there. I think Colon's english is better than he himself thinks it is.

Pete_SSAC
02-17-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by BamaDoc
Be gentle y'all I am a new poster.

AHHH!!! KILL THE S.O.B.!

I mean, hey, welcome aboard.

- Pete

doctor30th
02-17-2003, 04:37 PM
The thing I really wonder about is can colon teach that kind of stuff. It isn't just communication issues it's if he understands it enough to translate how to do it to someone else or if he's the type that can only use his knowledge to help himself.

I'm not saying he's selfish, there are just some people who can't convey ideas like that to others.

I also wonder how he helped any pitchers in the cleveland org. I was never a fan of cleveland so I never really paid that close attention to see if he helped any of the youngsters out or if he even had the oportunity.

And welcome aboard.

Daver
02-17-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
The thing I really wonder about is can colon teach that kind of stuff. It isn't just communication issues it's if he understands it enough to translate how to do it to someone else or if he's the type that can only use his knowledge to help himself.

I'm not saying he's selfish, there are just some people who can't convey ideas like that to others.

I also wonder how he helped any pitchers in the cleveland org. I was never a fan of cleveland so I never really paid that close attention to see if he helped any of the youngsters out or if he even had the oportunity.

Colon did help with the maturity process with C.C. Sabathia.

ozzman
02-17-2003, 05:06 PM

he also helped him gain some girth. i wouldnt want to face either cc or colon in a pie eating contest that sfor sure!

dllrbll7
02-17-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by daver

If Wright or Garland could put up numbers like Sabathia i would be a very happy camper. Colons english should at least be comprehensable but he did have a translator for the press conference a month ago. I doubt that there will be a translator on the bench but ive seen it before.

Daver
02-17-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
If Wright or Garland could put up numbers like Sabathia i would be a very happy camper. Colons english should at least be comprehensable but he did have a translator for the press conference a month ago. I doubt that there will be a translator on the bench but ive seen it before.

Colon hides behind a translator,his grasp of the language is a lot better than most people think,it has been documented in the Cleveland press.

gogosoxgogo
02-17-2003, 05:18 PM

Colon hides behind a translator,his grasp of the language is a lot better than most people think,it has been documented in the Cleveland press.

Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
I think Colon's english is better than he himself thinks it is.

Yeah, that's what I said. He's played baseball in America (and Canada for that matter) for a while now. From what I've read in the media with interviews and quotes from him, he knows English well. He was using some pretty complex and fluid words and setences which leads me to believe that he has a good understanding of the language.

duke of dorwood
02-17-2003, 06:59 PM
Buehrle was helped by Wells, he has said so. It certainly wasnt caused by anything Contreras did

whitesoxwilkes
02-17-2003, 07:55 PM

Ditto for Ichiro. His English is near perfect. A lot of these guys just don't want to make the effort to speak a foreign language all the time and lean on a translator.

doctor30th
02-17-2003, 08:09 PM
Actually even if Colon's english was bad, there are plenty of players on the Sox who spanish and english well enough to translate.

A.T. Money
02-17-2003, 09:21 PM
I remember in 1999 how hard it was to understand Carlos Lee, and last year in that interview after he hit the 2 homers vs the Cubs at Wrigley, and talking about how much he owns the Cubs, I was surprized at how fluent he's become, and how little an accent he has.