PDA

View Full Version : More Sad News

Mammoo
02-17-2003, 10:16 AM
Baltimore Orioles pitcher Steve Bechler began feeling dizzy toward the end of Sunday's final conditioning run and was taken to the hospital as a precaution.

The 23-year-old Bechler was carried from the clubhouse on a stretcher and put in an ambulance. Club officials were awaiting updates on his condition. The early diagnosis was dehydration and heat exhaustion.

ABC Radio News just reported that Bechler died!

http://www.orioleshangout.com/images/bechler01.jpg

Mammoo
02-17-2003, 10:25 AM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0217/1510257.html

LuvSox
02-17-2003, 10:44 AM
Doesn't sound like he was taking care of himself. The autopsy report will be out in a matter of days, wonder if he had any undiagnosed problems. Poor guy, poor family.

baggio202
02-17-2003, 11:05 AM
that doesnt make any sense...seems like the orioles did everything right...even pulled him off the field saturday when he was struggling...the article says when he entered the hospital he wasnt even in heat stroke..just dehydration and heat exhaustion...anyone who ever went through daily doubles in july for high school football has gone through that...

my prayers are with his family

Randar68
02-17-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
that doesnt make any sense...seems like the orioles did everything right...even pulled him off the field saturday when he was struggling...the article says when he entered the hospital he wasnt even in heat stroke..just dehydration and heat exhaustion...anyone who ever went through daily doubles in july for high school football has gone through that...

my prayers are with his family

I agree. Seems wierd. So often people who have this happen have undiagnosed heart problems. Unfortunately, these things aren't diagnosed/discovered until it is too late...

MarkEdward
02-17-2003, 11:21 AM
My thoughts go out to his family and the Orioles.

Viva Magglio
02-17-2003, 08:39 PM
There are reports ephedrine was found in his locker. Also known as "Ultimate Orange," that is the same stuff that Rashidi Wheeler was taking at the time of his death.

RedPinStripes
02-17-2003, 08:55 PM
Maybe i'm just lucky, but i took ephedra for over a year with strenuous workouts including off road mountain biking in august.

Seems like that's the first answer for any death in sports now is ephedra.

It doesnt sound right though.

Too bad ........... 23 is real young . especially for a kid who was trying to be a mlb pitcher. :(:

valposoxfan
02-18-2003, 10:37 AM
This is really unfortunate considering his age and the fact that the Orioles took the proper precautions. Mike Hargrove came on ESPN and said that Bechler was very out of shape. That may have contributed to it. But then why isn't Bartolo having the same problems. I mean he's freakin huge!!! I have a feeling the supplements found in the locker may have contributed. Wheeler now Bechler. Kinda sketchy. :?:

TheBigHurt
02-19-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
This is really unfortunate considering his age and the fact that the Orioles took the proper precautions. Mike Hargrove came on ESPN and said that Bechler was very out of shape. That may have contributed to it. But then why isn't Bartolo having the same problems. I mean he's freakin huge!!! I have a feeling the supplements found in the locker may have contributed. Wheeler now Bechler. Kinda sketchy. :?:

yeah that has to be it

gogosoxgogo
02-19-2003, 05:42 PM
Autopsy confirms that it was ephedra found in a weight loss drug he was taking.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bal/news/bal_news.jsp?ymd=20030218&content_id=201625&vkey=spt2003news&fext=.jsp

Paulwny
02-19-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Autopsy confirms that it was ephedra found in a weight loss drug he was taking.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bal/news/bal_news.jsp?ymd=20030218&content_id=201625&vkey=spt2003news&fext=.jsp

(From the article:
Dr. Joshua Perper also said that Bechler -- though physically healthy -- had a history of untreated, borderline hypertension; evidence of liver abnormalities; and had been on a diet. The combination of all the factors likely led to Bechler's death, though Perper can not confirm anything until toxicology reports are completed. )

The YES network had an interview with Dr. Perper. He alsao said that Bechler had a slightly enlarged heart and his mother claimed he previously had a bout of heat stroke. Although Dr. Perper would not put the blame on ephedra until he receives the toxology report, he felt all these conditions along with ephedra could be fatal.

Does anyone know what type of tests are done in a mlb physical.?Does each team have its own criteria for physicals?
A simple blood test would reveal liver problems.