PDA

View Full Version : Garland or Wright?

Thunderstruck30
02-16-2003, 11:21 PM
Who will have a better season this year, Garland or Wright?

OEO Magglio
02-16-2003, 11:31 PM
This is an easy answer for me, I think Garland is going to have a great year, I see him having his era in the 3's this year, all I can say is watch out for JG this year.

SouthSideHitman
02-16-2003, 11:48 PM
Either could really break out or really regress. That being said, I think that both will drop their ERAs by at least half a run and increse their wins by at least 3.

Head to head, I think that Wright will learn to avoid the big inning and will really bust out. He has such good stuff that when he learns to use it, he will outshine Garland, who is just a solid ground ball pitcher. This year, Garland will be 16-9 and Wright will be 18-12 en route to a division title, knock on wood (hey, I won't be the one who jinxs 'em!).

baggio202
02-16-2003, 11:50 PM
ive like danny wright since the first time i saw him pitch...he is just a few years removed from a 2-14(?) senior season in college and last year was a 14 game winner...he has to learn to cut down on the big innings...if he can take those 5 and 6 run innings and turn them into 1 and 2 run innings then he will have taken the next step in his development...i believe he is ready to do that..atleast i hope so

OfficerKarkovice
02-17-2003, 12:34 AM
Yeah, Garland seems to be most people's favorite and the further ahead of the two, but the more that I think about it I like Danny Wright. He's a big strong kid with really good stuff. I think he's going to come up huge this year.

jeremyb1
02-17-2003, 02:25 AM
i like both but i have to go with garland. he has more upside than wright, better stuff, and more experience. wright's stuff is definately good but i'm suprised that a lot of people think his stuff is better than garland's. garland basically throws just as hard as wright and has better movement on his fastball. he also has a somewhat deceptive delievery which means that his fastball comes up on hitters really quickly. don't get me wrong, wright is no slouch, he developed a nice outpitch with his curve last season but garland has to have to edge in my opinion.

TheBigHurt
02-17-2003, 05:05 AM
yes i agree Garland will have a much better season then wright

BE GOOD

pudge
02-17-2003, 12:59 PM
I personally am going with Wright because I think Garland has more of a control problem, and cannot overwhelm hitters the way Wright can with K potential.

bc2k
02-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Without a doubt, Dan Wright.

doublem23
02-17-2003, 01:53 PM
As long as one of them has a good year, who cares which one it is?

That said, I think Jon is ahead of Dan, but its not by much and if Dan can pitch like he's shown he's capable of, he could easily be the #3 by the time the year closes.

jeremyb1
02-17-2003, 03:13 PM
i don't know. certainly different pitchers take differt paths to stardom and its not always the top prospects that become the best pitchers (look at buehlre) but that's where i defer here. i feel like at least in the long you just have to give garland the benefit of the doubt as a high first round pick and then top prospect that was dominating AAA and then pitching in the majors at 20. you just can't do that without incredible ability.

wright is definately a late bloomer in that he wasn't a successful pitcher in college so obviously he shouldn't be penalized too much for taking three more years than garland to reach the majors but i still think it counts for something. i think wright has great stuff and great potential, but at least in terms of upside i don't think he's at garland's level.

gosox3072
02-17-2003, 11:13 PM
i think that both of them will have about the same type of year. Our young pitchers really have the luxury that most dont. Both will win around 15 games b/c of our offense. Garland has shown that he has great potential but i think that wright will pitch better. he has shown that he can be dominating at times and all he needs to learn is consistancy, if they do this were gonna have a hell of a staff

Now all we need is a #5