PDA

View Full Version : BMR's preseason playoff predictions.

Bmr31
02-16-2003, 08:38 PM
Keep in mind a LOT can change by opening day.....

NL

St louis
San francisco
Philadelphia

Wild card: Atlanta

NL champ : Philadelphia

AL

Ny Yankees
Minnesota
Oakland

Wild card: Chicago

AL champ: Oakland

World Series Champ: Oakland

guillen4life13
02-16-2003, 08:43 PM
I dunno. I think that if the Sox are to make the playoffs, they'll have to win the division since the West is so stacked. Either Anaheim or Seattle pretty much have the wildcard between themselves.

Bmr31
02-16-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
I dunno. I think that if the Sox are to make the playoffs, they'll have to win the division since the West is so stacked. Either Anaheim or Seattle pretty much have the wildcard between themselves.

Yeah, there will be several good teams not making the playoffs, especially in the AL. To name a few....Anaheim, Seattle, Boston, Houston, Arizona.

WinningUgly!
02-16-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Keep in mind a LOT can change by opening day.....

NL

St louis
San francisco
Philadelphia

Wild card: Atlanta

NL champ : Philadelphia

AL

Ny Yankees
Minnesota
Oakland

Wild card: Chicago

AL champ: Oakland

World Series Champ: Oakland

NL

Atlanta
Houston
Arizona
WC: St. Louis

AL

Boston
Chicago
Oakland
WC: New York

Bmr31
02-16-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
NL

Atlanta
Houston
Arizona

AL

Boston
Chicago
Oakland

I hate to say this but, the Cubs have a decent shot at making the playoffs. The NL has great parity, and a few breaks here and there could get them in.

Daver
02-16-2003, 08:52 PM
I hate to say this but, the Cubs have a decent shot at making the playoffs. The NL has great parity, and a few breaks here and there could get them in.

I would agree with you,but they have to many teams with more overall talent to overcome,the Cards,Astros, and Reds are better.

Bmr31
02-16-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by daver
I would agree with you,but they have to many teams with more overall talent to overcome,the Cards,Astros, and Reds are better.

I dunno man, I love the cubbies pitching. They have a solid starting 5, a potentially excellent bullpen, and upside with several of their pitchers. On the other hand, their lineup may be too weak. It will be interesting.

WinningUgly!
02-16-2003, 08:58 PM

I'm not worried...they always manage to find a way to lose 90 games. :)

OEO Magglio
02-16-2003, 09:00 PM
NL
East:Phillies
Central:Astros
West:Giants
WC: Braves

AL
East:Yankees
Central:White Sox
West:A's
WC:Mariners

NL Champ:Giants
AL Champ:A's

WS Champ:A's

Randar68
02-16-2003, 09:06 PM
NL

Atlanta
Houston
Arizona

AL

Boston
Chicago
Oakland

Peter, is that you???

:boston

"I just feel the Yankees haven't added much when compared with Boston. I mean, their 10 starters will all be confused as to that day's starting pitcher..."

jeremyb1
02-16-2003, 09:10 PM
yankees
white sox
oakland
wc: boston

phillies
houston
arizona
wc: dodgers

LuvSox
02-16-2003, 09:34 PM
I'm not worried...they always manage to find a way to lose 90 games. :) Yes, yes they will!

TheBigHurt
02-16-2003, 10:28 PM
BMR i think your predictions are pretty solid....here are mine:

AL
EAST-Yankmees
CENTRAL-WHITESOX
WEST-Mariners
WILD CARD-Rangers
NL
EAST-NYMets
CENTRAL-Cards
WEST-Dodgers
WILD CARD-Houston

ALCS-WHITESOX over Yankmees

NLCS-NYMets over Cards

WS-WHITESOX over NYMets
(BIG FRANK is the mvp)

Bmr31
02-16-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
BMR i think your predictions are pretty solid....here are mine:

AL
EAST-Yankmees
CENTRAL-WHITESOX
WEST-Mariners
WILD CARD-Rangers
NL
EAST-NYMets
CENTRAL-Cards
WEST-Dodgers
WILD CARD-Houston

ALCS-WHITESOX over Yankmees

NLCS-NYMets over Cards

WS-WHITESOX over NYMets
(BIG FRANK is the mvp)

And then your alarm clock woke you up? :)

voodoochile
02-16-2003, 10:42 PM

If you can't be purely a fan in February, when can you be one?

Not going to make a set of picks, I don't follow all the other teams that much. I believe the Sox will be playing in the ALCS and that is as far as I am going to go at this point in time. I realize that my pick isn't unbiased, but I really don't care. I'm a Sox fan...

WinningUgly!
02-16-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Peter, is that you???

:boston

"I just feel the Yankees haven't added much when compared with Boston. I mean, their 10 starters will all be confused as to that day's starting pitcher..."

LOL! Nope, I just think this is the year Pedro, Nomar & Manny all stay healthy.

Tavarin
02-16-2003, 11:00 PM
NL
East:Expos
Central:Brewers
West:Padres
WC: Pirates
AL
East:Devil Rays
Central:Royals
West:Rangers
WC:Tigers
NL Champ:Brewers
AL Champ:Devil Rays
WS Champ:Devil Rays

okay, seriously:

East:Braves
Central:Cardinals
West:Giants
WC: Philles
AL
East:Yankees
Central:White Sox
West:A's
WC:Red Sox
NL Champ:Philles
AL Champ:A's
WS Champ:A's

longshot7
02-16-2003, 11:44 PM
anyone who thinks the A's are going to win the AL West is sorely mistaken, let alone the WS. I think the defending world champs will have something to say about that.

nl
east- Atlanta
central - St. Louis
west - Los Angeles
wildcard - San Francisco

SF over ATL
STL over LA

STL over SF

al
east - new york
central - chicago
west - anaheim
wildcard - oakland

NY over OAK
ANA over CHI

NY over ANA

ws
NY over STL

ps - I hate it too guys, but it's reality - they're too good. but at least this year, there's hope.

SouthSideHitman
02-16-2003, 11:53 PM

Four things will keep the flubs in the second division.

1. Weak #4 and #5 starters.
2. Medicore bullpen.
3. NO OFFENSE!
4. The fact that they are wearing flubbie blue.

As for our hose, I tend to agree that it'll be division or bust given the West and the Carmines.

CHISOXFAN13
02-17-2003, 12:43 AM
I understand everyon'e high praise of the teams in the west and the BoSox, but is everybody forgetting about the unbalanced schedule. We play Cleve, KC and Detroit nearly 60 times!!!

That puts the central runner-up in the driver's seat for the card , imo.

JaylisJP
02-17-2003, 01:27 AM
AL

Sox
Yankees
A's
Wild Card: Boston

A's over Boston in AlCS

NL

Cardinals
Phillies
Giants
WC: Astros

Cards over Phillies in ALCS

Cards over A's in WC

TheBigHurt
02-17-2003, 05:09 AM

HEY lol i like the one i should use once in a while....

but no i actully folks was serious, AND the only weired prediction there anyway is the Rangers winning the Wild Card

and with picking the white sox why cant i be..wants the word im looking for GITTY?

TheBigHurt
02-17-2003, 05:14 AM
by the way BMR if you know the Phillies starting 5 could you name them..(not being sarcastic saying that you dont) i was just trying to laugh at you for picking the PHILLIES to win the ws..but then i said the lineup is solid and so is the bullpen but the Starting Pitching......

moochpuppy
02-17-2003, 08:28 AM
NL East: Atlanta - until someone knocks them off they will be my preseason favorite
NL Central: St. Louis - much like the AL Central, a two team race
NL West: Arizona - how can you lose with Johnson and Schilling?

NL WC: Houston - I'm not buying into the Philly hype

NL Champ: St. Louis

AL East: Yankees - see Atlanta
AL Central: Chicago - should be a close race
AL West: Oakland - The three-headed monster will dominate again

AL WC: Minnesota - another AL central team?? With the very weak division and the heated race for the division, the Twins will win more games than the Red Sox and Angels.

AL Champ: Oakland - too much pitching, Tejada and Chavez the new bash brothers.

WS Champ: Oakland - LaRussa can't catch a break

Bmr31
02-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
by the way BMR if you know the Phillies starting 5 could you name them..(not being sarcastic saying that you dont) i was just trying to laugh at you for picking the PHILLIES to win the ws..but then i said the lineup is solid and so is the bullpen but the Starting Pitching......

Their rotation is a strength.

Kevin Milwood
Vincent Padilla
Ryan Wolf
Brandon Duckworth
Brett Myers

Jjav829
02-17-2003, 11:06 AM
NL East: Phillies
NL Central: Cubs
NL West: Giants
NL Wild Card: Diamondbacks

AL East: Yankees
AL Central: White Sox
AL West: Athletics
AL Wild Card: Angels

World Series: Phillies vs. Athletics

WS Champs: Athletics (that said they'll probably choke in the playoffs again and be out in the first round)

FanOf14
02-17-2003, 11:20 AM
Do the Mariners have anything to offer this year? I don't really think so, but wanted to see what others think...

Randar68
02-17-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by FanOf14
Do the Mariners have anything to offer this year? I don't really think so, but wanted to see what others think...

IMO their little run is over. Oakland and Anaheim are both better and younger.

hold2dibber
02-17-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14

They'll still be good, but to be a playoff team, they need their young pitchers to make a mark. Their offense is still pretty thin and old. Meche, Piniero, et al. have to be good and consistent, and Freddy Garcia has to pitch like he did in the first half last year, but not the second (when he had an ERA over 5.00).

OEO Magglio
02-17-2003, 12:38 PM
I think the Mariners have a great team, if they can find a descent 4 and 5 behind garcia, pineiro, and moyer, they'll be fine, they still have one of the best bullpens in the league, and with ichiro and winn at the top of the order, they still have a quality lineup.

longshot7
02-17-2003, 12:40 PM
Their rotation is a strength.

Kevin Milwood
Vincent Padilla
Ryan Wolf
Brandon Duckworth
Brett Myers

WHO????

yeah, that's a world series rotation.

Jjav829
02-17-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
WHO????

yeah, that's a world series rotation.

If you don't know who they are, you might wanna learn now.

OEO Magglio
02-17-2003, 01:25 PM
Longshot, that is a word series rotation, padilla and millwood have already both proven themselves as great pitchers, duckworth, wolf, and myers are all young pitchers with a lot of upside who will all most likely have good years this year, Myers is going to be a stud!!!!

A.T. Money
02-17-2003, 01:32 PM
AL East

1. Yankees
2. Red Sox
3. Orioles
4. Blue Jays
5. Devil Rays

AL Central

1. White Sox
2. Twins
3. Indians
4. Royals
5. Tigers

AL West

1. Angels
2. A's
3. Mariners
4. Rangers

Wild Card

Twins

NL East

1. Mets
2. Phillies
3. Braves
4. Expos
5. Marlins

NL Central

1. Astros
2. Cardinals
3. Reds
4. Cubs
5. Brewers
6. Pirates

NL West

1. Arizona
2. Dodgers
3. Giants
4. Rockies
5. Padres

Wild Card

Dodgers

A.T. Money
02-17-2003, 02:16 PM
That is a two way street,you have made some rather ignorant statements yourself.

Yeah, like the Cubs making the playoffs.

Bmr31
02-17-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Yeah, like the Cubs making the playoffs.

Let see let me try it davers way. umm sir, let me kiss your ass for a moment, umm sir uhhh how do i say this uhh, i believe you are incorrect sir. I believe if you check my uh predictions, yeah thats it predictions, umm you will see i did not pick the cubs sir, sorry for umm pointing it out to ya there buddy,...

Iwritecode
02-17-2003, 03:14 PM
I am NOT going to be told what to say and how to say it.

From an outsiders POV, I don't believe Daver told you either what to say or how to say it. He stated a fact on things you've already said. You should feel free to say whatever you want. Ignorant or not...

:smile:

Juan Pizarro
02-17-2003, 03:23 PM
The Phils' rotation does look good on paper, but it's not silly to say they still have question marks. No one there outside of Millwood has won when it's mattered, and No.s 4 and 5 are being judged strictly on potential.

So there's room on each side of that argument.

Bmr31
02-17-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro
The Phils' rotation does look good on paper, but it's not silly to say they still have question marks. No one there outside of Millwood has won when it's mattered, and No.s 4 and 5 are being judged strictly on potential.

I picked the Phils to make the world series and someone attacked that pick by saying their rotation wasnt good enough. Ive seen much worse rotations in the world series. Yes it looks good on paper, isnt that how we are predicting right now? They havent started playing yet.

Jjav829
02-17-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro

Agreed. I mean I certainly didn't expect a 5+ ERA from Duckworth last year, so who knows how he'll pitch this year. But it's not like these guys were all just pulled off the scrap heap, so they do have the chance to be a really good staff.

longshot7
02-17-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Longshot, that is a word series rotation, padilla and millwood have already both proven themselves as great pitchers, duckworth, wolf, and myers are all young pitchers with a lot of upside who will all most likely have good years this year, Myers is going to be a stud!!!!

mmm... the word series. Is that like the National Spelling Bee?

j/k. I know who the Phils' pitchers are. I'm just saying you can't possibly expect them to be better than the Braves or the Mets. I mean, Maddux and Hampton alone will probably equal their entire SP win total.

Bmr31
02-17-2003, 08:45 PM

j/k. I know who the Phils' pitchers are. I'm just saying you can't possibly expect them to be better than the Braves or the Mets. I mean, Maddux and Hampton alone will probably equal their entire SP win total.

I hope that was a joke?

Bmr31
02-17-2003, 08:48 PM
I hope that was a joke?

Here i will conform and provide evidence, lol. The phils top two pitchers alone had 32 wins compared to Maddux and Hampton having 23, last season. All i can add is ......huh?

Bmr31
02-17-2003, 09:00 PM

To supplement my previous post, the Braves and Phils rotations had about the same amount of wins last season, and this despite Byrd having a CAREER year and Myers spending much of the season in the minors. Beyond that the Phils have a much better offense and the Braves have the edge in the Pen. You can easily make an arguement for either winning the division. I just happen to be tired of the Braves, and their lack of living to expecatations. Your original statement lacked evidence. SO did your 2nd statement.

Hullett_Fan
02-18-2003, 09:04 AM
AL EAST: Yankees
AL CENT: SOX
AL WEST: A's
WC: Angels

NL EAST: Phillies
NL CENT: Astros
NL WEST: D-backs
WC: Cubs

AL Playoffs
Sox over Angels
A's over Yanks

ALCS
Sox over A's

NL Playoffs
Cubs over D-backs
Phillies over Astros

NLCS
Phillies over Cubs

WORLD SERIES
SOX over Phillies

:)

longshot7
02-18-2003, 02:23 PM
BMR, are you saying that you don't think a healthy Maddux and a Hampton that has finally escaped Colorado will dominate? Add Ortiz and Byrd to that mix and you have a MUCH better rotation than the Phillies. Hampton won 51 games from 1999-2001 and both he and Maddux have led teams to the World Series. Sure, Byrd had a career year last year, but working with Leo Mazzone is definitely going to make him better.

Sure, the Phillies now have Millwood (but he's been nothing if not erratic) and no one else in their rotation has been better than a .500 pitcher. Oops, sorry - Padilla was 14-11.

And look at the offense - Sheffield, Chipper, Andruw vs. Burrell, Thome, and Abreu? Who else do they have - Mike Lieberthal? A shell of his former self - 15 hrs? And don't you think that Thome will suffer from not being able to DH once in a while. He's getting up there in age, not to mention having to adjust to the NL.

Maybe I'm wrong - Maybe they'll catch lightning in a bottle - but if I was a betting man, I know where I'd put my money...

czalgosz
02-18-2003, 02:33 PM
I hate to say it, but I have to agree with BMR here. Hampton is done - stick a fork in him. He actually put up worse numbers on the road last year than he did in Colorado. The Braves got substantially worse last year, the Phils got substantially better. I don't know if it's enough to make up the 21 game difference between the two, but it's certainly enough to make things interesting in the NL East this year.

Jjav829
02-18-2003, 03:20 PM
BMR, are you saying that you don't think a healthy Maddux and a Hampton that has finally escaped Colorado will dominate? Add Ortiz and Byrd to that mix and you have a MUCH better rotation than the Phillies. Hampton won 51 games from 1999-2001 and both he and Maddux have led teams to the World Series. Sure, Byrd had a career year last year, but working with Leo Mazzone is definitely going to make him better.

Sure, the Phillies now have Millwood (but he's been nothing if not erratic) and no one else in their rotation has been better than a .500 pitcher. Oops, sorry - Padilla was 14-11.

And look at the offense - Sheffield, Chipper, Andruw vs. Burrell, Thome, and Abreu? Who else do they have - Mike Lieberthal? A shell of his former self - 15 hrs? And don't you think that Thome will suffer from not being able to DH once in a while. He's getting up there in age, not to mention having to adjust to the NL.

Maybe I'm wrong - Maybe they'll catch lightning in a bottle - but if I was a betting man, I know where I'd put my money...

The Phillies have a better offense than the Braves, IMO. Abreu, Burrell, and Thome form one of the best 3-4-5's in baseball. Throw in a speedster in Rollins, a solid catcher Lieberthal (15 HR's, 50+ RBI's and a .280+ AVG is fine from a catcher), Bell, Byrd(granted hes a question mark), and Polanco and they should have a solid lineup. The Braves have a great OF but their infield right now is a huge question mark. Furcal will provide them with some speed but Giles, Derosa/Castilla, and Fick will need to give them some better production, and who knows what Lopez will do this year. The Phillies should have a more solid 1-8 than the Braves.

As for pitching, sure the Phillies have some question marks in Duckworth and Myers but the Braves have just as many, if not more. Theres no telling what Hampton will do now. Yeah he struggled partly because of Coors, but his road ERA was even worse. Byrd has had two good years in his career and they were seperated by several years. He could go either way this year. We know Maddux will be solid again, but will Ortiz be hurt by going to a hitters park? And then theres the 5th spot. None of the possible 5th starters for the Braves(Marquiz, Hodges, Pratt, Ramirez, Bond) are more proven than Myers.

I think the Phillies have a legitimate shot to win the NL East.

longshot7
02-18-2003, 06:00 PM
well, I guess we'll see, huh? It's a good thing the season isn't played on paper. Bring on Spring Training!!

Bmr31
02-18-2003, 07:04 PM
well, I guess we'll see, huh? It's a good thing the season isn't played on paper. Bring on Spring Training!!

On "paper" the Phillies are easily stronger than the Braves. When it comes to baseball , that doesnt always mean much. Your original comment was very unfounded and I am glad you can now see that.

longshot7
02-18-2003, 07:18 PM
On "paper" the Phillies are easily stronger than the Braves. When it comes to baseball , that doesnt always mean much. Your original comment was very unfounded and I am glad you can now see that.

I'm not retracting my statement from earlier - the Braves will be better than the Phillies. They appear better on paper as well. But it's all opinion until the end of the season, isn't it? I was just commenting that you can only argue so far with opposing opinions. We'll see what happens and once again you will be proven wrong - but you must be used to that by now, I'm sure.

Bmr31
02-18-2003, 09:07 PM
I'm not retracting my statement from earlier - the Braves will be better than the Phillies. They appear better on paper as well. But it's all opinion until the end of the season, isn't it? I was just commenting that you can only argue so far with opposing opinions. We'll see what happens and once again you will be proven wrong - but you must be used to that by now, I'm sure.

Your original statement was something like.....YEAH THATS A ROTATION OF A WORLD SERIES TEAM. The fact is, its one of the best staffs in baseball. I dont expect you to retract a statement when you lack baseball knowledge. You dont know any better.

Hullett_Fan
02-19-2003, 09:41 AM
Your original statement was something like.....YEAH THATS A ROTATION OF A WORLD SERIES TEAM. The fact is, its one of the best staffs in baseball. I dont expect you to retract a statement when you lack baseball knowledge. You dont know any better.

You must be the biggest jackass on this board. I've read your bs replies and have never responded...until now. Just wanted to share my thoughts. Jerk.

voodoochile
02-19-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
You must be the biggest jackass on this board. I've read your bs replies and have never responded...until now. Just wanted to share my thoughts. Jerk.

I hardly see what the name calling brings to the discussion.

Hullett_Fan
02-19-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I hardly see what the name calling brings to the discussion.

There's never any 'discussion' as far as he's concerned. He's right and everyone else is wrong.

If it's part of his schtick or something and I'm not aware of it, then I apologize...but I find his replies to be obnoxious. Everyone else on this board seems to have something interesting to say....without insulting people.

voodoochile
02-19-2003, 11:10 AM
There's never any 'discussion' as far as he's concerned. He's right and everyone else is wrong.

If it's part of his schtick or something and I'm not aware of it, then I apologize...but I find his replies to be obnoxious. Everyone else on this board seems to have something interesting to say....without insulting people.

There was a long discussion about this in the Parking Lot. I hardly see what reopening the discussion in this thread accomplishes.

Bmr31
02-19-2003, 01:26 PM

If I offend you, I am sorry. However, calling someone names is something i do not do. If you have issues about behavior, perhaps look at yourself too? So I think I know baseball better than most people, shoot me. If you dont want my "wrath", dont attack me. He attacked me and i responded.

moochpuppy
02-19-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Abreu, Burrell, and Thome form one of the best 3-4-5's in baseball.

I thought the Cubs had the best........oh wait.

moochpuppy
02-19-2003, 02:29 PM
The fact is, its one of the best staffs in baseball.

I have to disagree to an extent. While the Phillies staff has a ton of potential they don't have a very long track record to dictate that they will continue their early success (besides Millwood and he has shown to be streaky).

hold2dibber
02-19-2003, 02:39 PM

I would take the Phillies starting rotation over the Braves in a heartbeat.

shbart
02-22-2003, 09:17 AM
O.k., I want in on this discussion. I'm in agreement that the Phillies have the better rotation, but let's get the name of their best pitcher right...it's Randy Wolf. Now, let's look at the two reasons the Phillies won't be playing in October 1) Larry Bowa 2) Jose Mesa....'nuff sed