PDA

View Full Version : You are the sox GM for a day.....

Bmr31
02-16-2003, 02:33 PM
....and you get to make one trade. The trade has to be a deal another team would accept. What would your trade be?

Daver
02-16-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
....and you get to make one trade. The trade has to be a deal another team would accept. What would your trade be?

Josh Paul to the Marlins for Billy the Marlin..............

Bmr31
02-16-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by daver

LOL i was thinking of dealing Josh to the Cubs for one of their ball girls.

kermittheefrog
02-16-2003, 03:01 PM
Carlos Lee, Jon Rauch, Corwin Malone & Kris Honel for Brian Giles. Still not sure that one would work but it would be worth a try.

Bmr31
02-16-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Carlos Lee, Jon Rauch, Corwin Malone & Kris Honel for Brian Giles. Still not sure that one would work but it would be worth a try.

WOW. You would be bringing a great player to the sox. Are you sure you would want to give up that much?

LuvSox
02-16-2003, 03:26 PM
....and you get to make one trade. The trade has to be a deal another team would accept. What would your trade be? That's perplexing, seeing as how KW cleaned house. How about Hawk & DJ to ESPN for Jon Miller & Dan Patrick. I'd even settle for Hawk & DJ to the radio and send Farmer & Rooney to tv.

Bmr31
02-16-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
That's perplexing, seeing as how KW cleaned house. How about Hawk & DJ to ESPN for Jon Miller & Dan Patrick. I'd even settle for Hawk & DJ to the radio and send Farmer & Rooney to tv.

How about Hawk and DJ to WSI for me and randar? :)

Daver
02-16-2003, 04:04 PM
How about Hawk and DJ to WSI for me and randar? :)

Thats a bad deal for WSI,I won't allow it...........:redneck

Bmr31
02-16-2003, 04:14 PM
Thats a bad deal for WSI,I won't allow it...........:redneck

Randar and I would fight in the booth most of the time, the sox games would at least be entertaining.

OEO Magglio
02-16-2003, 04:24 PM
Carlos Lee, Jon Rauch, Corwin Malone & Kris Honel for Brian Giles
That's way to much to give up

That's perplexing, seeing as how KW cleaned house. How about Hawk & DJ to ESPN for Jon Miller & Dan Patrick
I think everyone should just leave Hawk and Dj alone.

TornLabrum
02-16-2003, 05:13 PM

I was thinking we should be able to at least get Ozzie the Cougar for him!

LuvSox
02-16-2003, 05:22 PM
Josh Paul to the Cubbies for Woo Woo. We could have "beat the hell outta Woo Woo day"

jeremyb1
02-16-2003, 06:06 PM
it'd be hard for me to make a trade because i like all the players so much. i think if i had to make any deal, it would center around paully just because i think he's most likely the most overrated player on our club. he'd bring more in a trade than anyone on the roster outside of maggs and buehrle so that makes him quite valuable. if there's any way the braves would bite, i'd love to send them konerko for andruw jones. we'd probably have to throw in more players though.

this does a few things, first of all if we bat jones second that gives us a speedy guy with good obp at the top of the lineup and allows valentin to slide down breaking up the righties. most importantly this deal would help our outfield defense tremendously and not just because we're adding the best defensive outfielder in the game. dealing konerko allows us to slight carlos over to first and rowand to left. our outfield suddenly goes from being a major liability to a huge strength.

our lineup could look like this:

jiminez
jones
frank
maggs
carlos
valentin
crede
rowand
olivo

Juan Pizarro
02-16-2003, 06:15 PM
That's not bad thinking, but it'd have to be Paulie and one of either Malone or Rauch, too, and that's too much.

I do say we have to give KW a little credit. Remember when lots of Sox fans would have accepted Corey Lidle for Lee? Instead we got Colon for spare parts.

RedPinStripes
02-16-2003, 07:25 PM

Your what hurts? :o:

Tragg
02-16-2003, 07:34 PM

You're on a roll today, daver.

MarkEdward
02-16-2003, 07:54 PM
Corwin Malone/Edwin Almonte, Joe Crede, and Jon Rauch/Kris Honel to Texas for Mark Teixeira.

I'd also like to see Pedro Martinez or Barry Bonds in a Sox uniform.

RedPinStripes
02-16-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Corwin Malone/Edwin Almonte, Joe Crede, and Jon Rauch/Kris Honel to Texas for Mark Teixeira.

Your what hurts?

kermittheefrog
02-16-2003, 08:01 PM

I doubt Texas would make that deal. In fact if I were them I wouldn't. I think if you even optimized the trade to Rauch, Crede and Honel it isn't worthwhile to Texas.

OfficerKarkovice
02-16-2003, 08:04 PM
I like Konerko and Rauch to the Braves for A. Jones...but I don't think they would do it.

I would send Konerko and a prospect to the Reds for Adam Dunn.

WhiteSoxWinner
02-16-2003, 08:06 PM
Hmmmm, I really wouldn't make any trades right now. I thinkthat this team is pretty solid with reserves waiting in the wings if any of the question come up negative. I really don't see anyone I want at second or catcher. We could maybe trade for a CF, but why get an outside CF when we have Borchard?

I think that the Sox are fine right now. Let's ask this question at the All-Star Break.

Bmr31
02-16-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
Hmmmm, I really wouldn't make any trades right now. I thinkthat this team is pretty solid with reserves waiting in the wings if any of the question come up negative. I really don't see anyone I want at second or catcher. We could maybe trade for a CF, but why get an outside CF when we have Borchard?

I think that the Sox are fine right now. Let's ask this question at the All-Star Break.

Ahhhh said the loyal homer.......... :)

WinningUgly!
02-16-2003, 08:35 PM

Oh goody, I love this game....

Carlos Lee, Josh Paul & Matt Ginter/Mike Porzio - to Seattle
...for...
Randy Winn

He's the player that best fits into our need for a CF/Leadoff hitter...at a reasonable price. I'll even throw in some of that U.S. Cellular money! :D:

Bmr31
02-16-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

...for...
Randy Winn

He's the player that best fits into our need for a CF/Leadoff hitter...at a reasonable price. I'll even throw in some of that U.S. Cellular money! :D:

Actually thats not a bad idea, although i believe you over paid.

Daver
02-16-2003, 08:45 PM
Actually thats not a bad idea, although i believe you over paid. Anything that gets Josh Paul out of town is a good thing,and I am tired of waiting for Carlos Lee to develop into a major league talent,he's had three years,how much slack does he get?

RedPinStripes
02-16-2003, 08:46 PM
Actually thats not a bad idea, although i believe you over paid.

Hey, whatever it takes to get rid of those clowns , i'll take it.

Bmr31
02-16-2003, 08:47 PM
Anything that gets Josh Paul out of town is a good thing,and I am tired of waiting for Carlos Lee to develop into a major league talent,he's had three years,how much slack does he get?

I think you have seen all you are going to see out of Lee. On the other hand, Winn had his best season. I dont think he can repeat his last season. STILL, its a huge upgrade in CF.

kermittheefrog
02-16-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

...for...
Randy Winn

Carlos Lee is already a better player than Randy Winn and two years younger. If Randy Winn comes close to his performance last year again I'll <insert ridiculous thing to do here>.

Daver
02-16-2003, 08:50 PM
I think you have seen all you are going to see out of Lee. On the other hand, Winn had his best season. I dont think he can repeat his last season. STILL, its a huge upgrade in CF.

I have no real interest in seeing Winn in a Sox uniform either,I think the Sox have the CFer they need,the question is will he come north?

Bmr31
02-16-2003, 08:52 PM
I have no real interest in seeing Winn in a Sox uniform either,I think the Sox have the CFer they need,the question is will he come north?

True, I am just a bit concerned about our speed and our defense in the outfield. Winn would help solve some of that for now. I think if the sox are going to deal for a CF, they need to get someone better.

Daver
02-16-2003, 08:54 PM
True, I am just a bit concerned about our speed and our defense in the outfield. Winn would help solve some of that for now. I think if the sox are going to deal for a CF, they need to get someone better.

I would not consider Winn a defensive upgrade over Borchard in CF,though he would be an upgrade over Rowand.

WhiteSoxWinner
02-16-2003, 10:05 PM
Ahhhh said the loyal homer.......... :)

OK, knowing that a REAL GM has payroll constraints, and has to give up something to get something, who would you go out and get? I have stated that I don't think the Sox need anything going into Spring Training.

To further elaborate, I don't see any second baseman out there right now that I would trade for. Jeff Kent is a clubhouse killer, we had Ray Durham, Soriano cannot be had. Name someone else who is a real good 2nd baseman that we won't have to mortgage the house for? Has to be better or have more potential than Harris or Hummel.

Let's move to catcher. Who are you going to go out and get that has more potential than Olivo? Rodriguez was out there, but wanted to much money. Piazza, LoDuca, and Posada are not available, and if they were, it comes back to money. I don't see any other catchers out there that are going to help this team.

Now let's move to centerfield. Sure Giles, would be nice, but he isn't a great defensive CF. He isn't even listed there. How about Griffey? We could get him, spend a bunch of money, send a lot of talent there to get him, AND block Joe Borchard!!!

Do you see any glaring weaknesses around the rest of the diamond? We have all shot down the Jimmy Rollins trade. The corners are pretty solid with Konerko and Crede. The bullpen looks good. One through four in the rotation is set. Sure, we could get a #5 starter, but I am not going to trade for one.

We have retooled for the season with Daubach, Colon, Koch, etc. Let's see what happens and check back at the All-Star break.

How about it Bmr? Obviously you some need, what is your trade?

Bmr31
02-16-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
OK, knowing that a REAL GM has payroll constraints, and has to give up something to get something, who would you go out and get? I have stated that I don't think the Sox need anything going into Spring Training.

To further elaborate, I don't see any second baseman out there right now that I would trade for. Jeff Kent is a clubhouse killer, we had Ray Durham, Soriano cannot be had. Name someone else who is a real good 2nd baseman that we won't have to mortgage the house for? Has to be better or have more potential than Harris or Hummel.

Let's move to catcher. Who are you going to go out and get that has more potential than Olivo? Rodriguez was out there, but wanted to much money. Piazza, LoDuca, and Posada are not available, and if they were, it comes back to money. I don't see any other catchers out there that are going to help this team.

Now let's move to centerfield. Sure Giles, would be nice, but he isn't a great defensive CF. He isn't even listed there. How about Griffey? We could get him, spend a bunch of money, send a lot of talent there to get him, AND block Joe Borchard!!!

Do you see any glaring weaknesses around the rest of the diamond? We have all shot down the Jimmy Rollins trade. The corners are pretty solid with Konerko and Crede. The bullpen looks good. One through four in the rotation is set. Sure, we could get a #5 starter, but I am not going to trade for one.

We have retooled for the season with Daubach, Colon, Koch, etc. Let's see what happens and check back at the All-Star break.

How about it Bmr? Obviously you some need, what is your trade?

Whoooooa, calm down there chief. I just started this thread to spark some conversation.

MarkEdward
02-16-2003, 10:48 PM
I doubt Texas would make that deal. In fact if I were them I wouldn't. I think if you even optimized the trade to Rauch, Crede and Honel it isn't worthwhile to Texas.

A guy can dream, can't he :smile: ? Seriously, how about the same deal for Hank Blalock. I still don't think the Rangers would bite, but I can dream.

Failing that, I'd probably want to go after Khalil Greene, but I have no idea what Kevin Towers would want in return.

If I were GM, I'd push really hard to make draft picks tradeable commodities.

baggio202
02-16-2003, 11:04 PM
ive always wanted to see trot nixon in a sox uni..he can play CF and give us 25 plus homers from the left side...plus he is one of these guys that does all the little things right

id trade dumbass caballo for trot..im sure some prospects would be thrown in.....

Mammoo
02-17-2003, 11:10 AM
I agree; see how spring training goes and them make a deal if necessary. My concern, like others have stated is with the defense.

The two weak links are Lee and Valentin.

Williams should strive to give the pitchers as much help as possible in the defense department.

Randar68
02-17-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
I agree; see how spring training goes and them make a deal if necessary. My concern, like others have stated is with the defense.

The two weak links are Lee and Valentin.

Williams should strive to give the pitchers as much help as possible in the defense department.

I am worried about CF and C more than the IF or Lee. CF for obvious reasons, but I am concerned to have ALomar as a rookie catcher's backup. I would prefer to see Olivo catch only abour 40% of the time. With Alomar as the primary backup, with his injury problems, I am afraid Olivo is going to end up catching over 120 games.

Kilroy
02-17-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Josh Paul to the Cubbies for Woo Woo. We could have "beat the hell outta Woo Woo day"

Couldn't we have that anyway? He shows up at Comiskey when the Cubs come in with all their dregs...

Daver
02-17-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
I am worried about CF and C more than the IF or Lee. CF for obvious reasons, but I am concerned to have ALomar as a rookie catcher's backup. I would prefer to see Olivo catch only abour 40% of the time. With Alomar as the primary backup, with his injury problems, I am afraid Olivo is going to end up catching over 120 games.

Olivio still has to beat out Jamie Burke for that starting spot Randar...............

:)

Iwritecode
02-17-2003, 12:09 PM

Isn't that why we have Josh Paul???

Randar68
02-17-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Isn't that why we have Josh Paul???

who? ;-)

Dadawg_77
02-17-2003, 12:30 PM
Konerko, Rauch, Malone for Beltran and Sweeney. The Sox would take on salary and both of those two are gone from KC as soon as they can so KC may do it. The Sox upgrade at 1B, center and the flag pole with the 2003 pennant flag.

MarkEdward
02-17-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Konerko, Rauch, Malone for Beltran and Sweeney. The Sox would take on salary and both of those two are gone from KC as soon as they can so KC may do it. The Sox upgrade at 1B, center and the flag pole with the 2003 pennant flag.

Two All-Stars for and average first baseman, a pitcher who had a bad year at AA, and a pitcher with injury problems? Allard is dumb, but not that dumb. Then again...

We'd probably need to give them Lee, Crede, Rauch, Honel, Sanders/Munoz, and Webster/Gonzalez to obtain both Sweeney and Beltran. Even that might not be enough.

kermittheefrog
02-17-2003, 01:35 PM
Hmmmm I'd do something to the effect of Borchard and Malone/Rauch for Beltran. I'd even consider upping the stakes to Borchard and Honel. Beltran is already and all-star with a well rounded game. He's a hot commodity.

Randar68
02-17-2003, 01:41 PM
Hmmmm I'd do something to the effect of Borchard and Malone/Rauch for Beltran. I'd even consider upping the stakes to Borchard and Honel. Beltran is already and all-star with a well rounded game. He's a hot commodity.

I know we're talking in the hypothetical here, but two words... "Scott Boras"

kermittheefrog
02-17-2003, 01:45 PM
I know we're talking in the hypothetical here, but two words... "Scott Boras"

Hey, if I was the Sox GM I could reasonably try and do something about working with Boras.

Dadawg_77
02-17-2003, 04:08 PM
Two All-Stars for and average first baseman, a pitcher who had a bad year at AA, and a pitcher with injury problems? Allard is dumb, but not that dumb. Then again...

We'd probably need to give them Lee, Crede, Rauch, Honel, Sanders/Munoz, and Webster/Gonzalez to obtain both Sweeney and Beltran. Even that might not be enough.

Hey I am not saying Allard is smart nor stupid, just their owners are cheap. I don't think they would take Lee because he would cost to much to them, and I would want to keep Crede, but anyone else is available.

voodoochile
02-17-2003, 05:37 PM

Based on the assumption that San-DL-Omar WILL get injured would you suggest using Alomar more early in the season and trying to ride him as long as possible while bringing Olivo along as slowly as possible? Or, would you prefer trying to split the time evenly early in the hopes Alomar would be less used up at the end of the season?

I also agree that the Sox could use the current state of the market to try and help Boras save face (perhaps offering Rogers a larger base and leaving the incentives in) and that might help them in future negotiations. Can't hurt to try.