PDA

View Full Version : A few thoughts


Tree
08-14-2001, 12:37 PM
Ok I havent posted in a while. I like to say that I am Glad that they put Kip back in the bullpen. I was at the game in Fenway and that sucked that he gave up 7 in the first. I really like Kip but it seems that he has lost his confidence of late. So I think that the Pen will do him some good. I also watched two of the Seattle games. I loved our come from behind win showed why this team is so dangerous. I keep hearing about the poor attendance in Comiskey. I am thinking that it is because we dont have the Marquee type players. We dont have a Sammy, a Bagwell, A Giambi. While I like our current roster we just dont have the names that bring em in. I was thinking that Maybe a trade For Ken Griffey Jr would not be a bad Idea. He has the star pull and he wants out of Cinci. Maybe we can package Singleton and Lee and get him and move Borchard to left where he will be a better defensive player than Lee. That way we are stacked in the outfield and we will have good fielders as well. I know this does not solve the leadoff spot but should put some more butts in the seats. Tell me what you think guys.

TREE

Paulwny
08-14-2001, 12:50 PM
I think with JR the skies not the limit Frank is. I don't think anyone will make more then Frank until his career is over.

Joel Perez
08-14-2001, 01:52 PM
That's what the Sox's all stars are supposed to do--separate themselves from the pack and elevate themselves into superstars by one extraordinary feat or another. Either that, or the Sox will have to win it all.

As much of an excellent player Mags is, he'll never get the ink he deserves until he hits 40HR or 140 RBI. Same goes for El Caballo and Paulie--the fans outside Chicago will think "Great players, but certainly no Jeter, Rodriguez, Griffey, etc etc."

Daver
08-14-2001, 07:00 PM
Since when does Griffey want out of Cinncinatti?

Jerry_Manuel
08-14-2001, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by daver
Since when does Griffey want out of Cinncinatti?

He made some comments near the deadline that he didn't want to play on a team that keeps changing it's players. By that he meant if the Reds can't lock up Casey and a few other "core" type players he didn't want to be on the team.

Daver
08-14-2001, 07:29 PM
And did he say he would wave the no trade clause in his contract that says his contract is no longer guarenteed if he is traded?

Jerry_Manuel
08-14-2001, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by daver
And did he say he would wave the no trade clause in his contract that says his contract is no longer guarenteed if he is traded?

I don't know, I recall an article on espn.com where he was talking about quiting baseball because he has lost his love for the game.

danman31
08-14-2001, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny:
I think with JR the skies not the limit Frank is. I don't think anyone will make more then Frank until his career is over.

KW did offer 19 mil to ARod, but that wasn't enough for him. Either way that shows that there is the possibility of paying a big time star big time money.

Tragg
08-14-2001, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez
That's what the Sox's all stars are supposed to do--separate themselves from the pack and elevate themselves into superstars by one extraordinary feat or another. Either that, or the Sox will have to win it all.

As much of an excellent player Mags is, he'll never get the ink he deserves until he hits 40HR or 140 RBI. Same goes for El Caballo and Paulie--the fans outside Chicago will think "Great players, but certainly no Jeter, Rodriguez, Griffey, etc etc."


El Caballo and paulie have a long way to go before they are considered "great" players by anyone. The power numbers are good, but they really struggle to get on base. c. .330 OBPs doesn't do the job. And of course, if the rest of our lineup were getting on base reasonably often, it would take the pressure off of these guys. It's a vicious circle.