PDA

View Full Version : Royce Ring

lighttowerpower1
02-15-2003, 03:14 PM
I was reading in the latest Baseball America that the Sox were thinking of turning him into a starter this year. Is this a possible permanant change or just a way to get him a bunch of professional innings while they develop him? I know that he has only been a closer through college and last year in rookie-ball and low-A.

SouthSideHitman
02-15-2003, 03:28 PM
Its probably because A) the Sox have lefty relievers in spades B) everyone can always use another starter and minor league closers rarely pan out and C) if this works, it would be a good idea to do it now and get him that much needed experience. Its probably a safe bet that if he succeeds as a starter, it'll be permanent and if he doesn't then he'll just be another casualty of JR's front office. Just kidding, he'll surely be able to move back to the pen.

jeremyb1
02-15-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
everyone can always use another starter and minor league closers rarely pan out

its important to note that there's no evidence that pitching as a reliever in the minors lowers a pitchers chances of being good. the only reason most minor league relievers don't pan out is because they're ussually not very good. legit relief prospects are ussually used as starters so that they can get more work and pitch more innings.

gogosoxgogo
02-15-2003, 04:13 PM
Interesting, I have no problem with it. I'm sure that by the time he reaches the majors, he'll be back in the pen. This just gives him a chance to face more batters in the minors, while giving him more stamina, something underrated for closers, as shown in the Keith Foulke of 00-02.

baggio202
02-15-2003, 06:47 PM
i didnt understand us drafting him in the first place...why would anyone waste a number 1 pick on a reliever??...if you need to improve your pen it can be done cheaply through free agency (tom gordon , rick white this year)..plus starting pitchers you draft that dont make it can be sent to the pen...so making ring a starter makes sense considering we spent a first round pick on him

Randar68
02-15-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
i didnt understand us drafting him in the first place...why would anyone waste a number 1 pick on a reliever??...if you need to improve your pen it can be done cheaply through free agency (tom gordon , rick white this year)..plus starting pitchers you draft that dont make it can be sent to the pen...so making ring a starter makes sense considering we spent a first round pick on him

This may be the most backward logic I have ever heard...

baggio202
02-16-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
This may be the most backward logic I have ever heard...

whatever