PDA

View Full Version : Is Canseco going to stay?

carltonfisk
08-14-2001, 12:24 PM
I was watching Sunday's game, and the tv announcer was talking about Jose Canseco. I guess he really likes Chicago and would love to stick around here next year. I would love that. I mean, not only would we get a great offensive threat, but veteran leadership which we badly need. I know he's past his prime, but he's still good. Unfortunately, it seems that we may not have room for him. Thomas is our DH. Even if he were at 1st, we still have Konerko, who is leading the team with homers. Jose says he can play outfield, but it seems like there really isn't room. (Ordonez, Lee, Rowand/Singleton/Jose #1) So I guess I'm wondering if you think management will stick with him. I think it looks pretty bleak, but look at how much of an influence he's been to the team the past few months. I think if he's here an entire year, we'll see even better production.

Pin Wheels
08-14-2001, 12:28 PM
Trade him for a younger bat.

voodoochile
08-14-2001, 12:37 PM
Where does he play? There just isn't room...

Fisk Fan
08-14-2001, 12:47 PM
There comes a point when you need to decide which direction you're going to go. If you want to get some of the younger players involved, you need to cut some of the older players loose. If you're not developing a Rowand, Borchard, Crede, etc. because Canseco is in the line-up, then you're slowing down their learning curve.

While Canseco can provide some power, at what cost will he provide that power? At this point, you already have too many roosters in the hen-house. We're wondering how good a player Borchard is, and the idea of hanging onto Singleton or playing Valentin there, takes away PT from not only Borchard, but Rowand as well.

When you play Perry at third, and fill in with Graffanino and Valentin, you take away PT from Crede. At this point in the season, Crede should be up and learning to play at this level. Instead, you have players whose futures are uncertain.

Bottom line, you need to develop these younger players who will be in the long-term plans for the Sox. Canseco, Perry, Valentin, and the others are taking away precious developmental time from the younger players. It is a big part of the learning curve, and when you can do it without sacrificing the entire season (ie. Baines, Ramirez, etc.), it is a huge bonus. Cut the older players loose and give the kids a chance to learn while on the job.

Iwritecode
08-14-2001, 12:53 PM
As good as Canseco has been and can be, I think right now he is just a fill-in for Frank. As good as it might sound, I don't think he will be back agian next year. It's not like he really put the team on his shoulders and carried them into a hot streak. I think Frank has that capability.

Paulwny
08-14-2001, 12:55 PM
JR won't allow KW to cut players loose, he'd still have to pay them till the end of the season. The bottom line is the most important issue to JR.

voodoochile
08-14-2001, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
Cut the older players loose and give the kids a chance to learn while on the job.

I agree, except now is not yet that time. Wait and see what happens these next few weeks and bring them up in September anyway. Valentin deserves to play because of his attitude and his bat right now. Crede's time will come and probably next year, but the Sox aren't dead yet, so why surrender? Two more weeks of seeing major league pitchers isn't going to make or break these kids. Borchard isn't ready yet anyway, Rowand is playing almost everyday in some capacity and KW said he wanted Crede to spend the year in AAA. Only needs dragged him up here in May. No rush, their time is coming...

Fisk Fan
08-14-2001, 01:06 PM
You're right, this thing is not over yet. But when the time comes, these kids need to get the AB's. We've put together a tremendous farm system so that we can use it, not waste it!

voodoochile
08-14-2001, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
You're right, this thing is not over yet. But when the time comes, these kids need to get the AB's. We've put together a tremendous farm system so that we can use it, not waste it!

Do you feel the farm system has been wasted so far? I don't think the Sox have any problems with using their young talent. They have brought up a ton of pitching depth (some might argue out of necessity) and are throwing them out there to pitch. Look at the struggles of Kip and Garland Vs the success of Glover (not our minor league system, but just when the Jays gave up on him, boom) and Ginter. Sometimes extra seasoning is a good thing. Maybe that is why Mark Johnson has been playing better since coming up. The extra time in AAA allowed him to become a more complete player, IMO. He got the message that the Sox were not pleased with his performance and he improved. Meanwhile Josh Paul got the job handed to him and look at where he is... one foot out the door at AAA. Let's not rush all of our prospects and risk ruining them. They will be up in September and that is as it should be. Odds are Crede is the opening day 3B next year and then the Sox have to figure out what to do with Clayton and Valentin... Too bad we can't stuff Manos' head and heart onto Claytons body...

BTW, don't you mean "IF that time comes..." :)

Fisk Fan
08-14-2001, 01:25 PM
No, I do not feel the Sox have wasted their farm system. I think they have done a fairly good job in getting guys some playing experience. I'm talking about hanging onto the older players too long, and wasting the opportunity for the kids to prove their worth.

BTW, I meant "IF that time comes."