PDA

View Full Version : Mariotti Column

Lip Man 1
02-14-2003, 12:04 PM
Just wondering if anybody has seen it? and what do you think?? and where are the Mariotti bashers???

"They may be a small-market team in a large market, but the best baseball story in town is the White Sox. And please don't forget it, no matter how much fluff blows this spring about a certain team of Dustiny. Fact is, the Cubs have no reliable protectors in the order for Sammy Sosa, too many iffy kids and the potential to lose a bunch of 3-2 games while turning Kerry Wood into the angriest North Sider since John Dillinger..."

Lip

Huisj
02-14-2003, 12:15 PM
jumping the bandwagon before players even report to tuscon. unprecedented.

rdivaldi
02-14-2003, 12:21 PM
What else does the article say? I tried to get it off the Sun Times website, but the article comes up blank.

Did Kotex Boy actually say that we have a chance to win the World Series???

FanOf14
02-14-2003, 12:24 PM
This makes me nervous because I remember last season as soon as he jumped on the bandwagon (end of April) the Sox started tanking...GO AWAY MARIOTTI!!!!!!

Juan Pizarro
02-14-2003, 12:45 PM
Paranoia strikes deep. Geez, give the guy a break. He actually wrote something that's true!

moochpuppy
02-14-2003, 12:55 PM
:moron

"I know at this point there is plenty of room on the bandwagon for little ol' me. Hey Phil, can I sit next to you?"

Mammoo
02-14-2003, 02:07 PM
JM is not the best barometer for gauging the possible success of any Chicago team. We all know his history; he'll drop the White Sox like a bad habit as soon as they lose two in a row.

It all comes down to how well the pitching staff performs because I think they'll score enough.

The defense is a concern and has been for quite a while.

http://www.usembassy.uz/image/franks.gif
"Let Me Worry About The Defense, Mammoo."

jortafan
02-14-2003, 02:13 PM
This piece struck me more as a Yankee-bash, with the Chicago stuff thrown at the top in a lame attempt to localize it.

It also struck me as being a pathetic attempt for the Sun-Times to recover from the actually quite good piece on this year's Yankees team that Phil Rogers had in the Tribune on Thursday.

Otherwise, it was pointless and a total waste of the time I spent reading it.

Hangar18
02-14-2003, 03:51 PM
This is Funny. I did read the whole article today, but I didnt
even mention it in my Daily Media Watch. Because...though
the Headline says hes talking about the Sox....and the 2 or
3 paragraphs stating "the sox are the real story" etc etc,
he Then moves on towards talking about the Yankees for the entire article. 90% of this article is about Steinbrenner, Jeter,
what Jeter said, What Steinbrenner said etc etc. Mariotti I think
was trying to say in all of this, that the Inner turmoil will bring the Yankee Empire down this season....and the Sox will be the biggest benefactors. Kind of a strange angle. I didnt count this towards being Sox Related. much too much Yankee talk.

PS. I like how he uses the word "FLUFF" when describing the Cubs Media Campaign. I think he may have borrowed that from Me/WSI.

pudge
02-14-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
This piece struck me more as a Yankee-bash, with the Chicago stuff thrown at the top in a lame attempt to localize it.

It also struck me as being a pathetic attempt for the Sun-Times to recover from the actually quite good piece on this year's Yankees team that Phil Rogers had in the Tribune on Thursday.

Otherwise, it was pointless and a total waste of the time I spent reading it.

Totally agree... why did he even bother throwing in a local angle on that column? It was not an article about the Sox or Cubs at all. I don't dislike Mariotti as much as some people, but today's article was a total waste. I read all those Jeter and Torre quotes yesterday. Boooo Suntimes, boooooo.

Lip Man 1
02-14-2003, 05:30 PM
Bottom line though folks is that Mariotti still had positive things to say about the Sox, and bashed the Cubs.

Just something to remember the next time sobody comes on and states that he NEVER has anything good to say about our Sox.

This is the latest in a number of good things he has said about the team. (Selective memory is a dangerous thing!)

Lip

Hangar18
02-14-2003, 05:32 PM
Well, I think the best part of the article is he used my Cub FLUFF term.....

pudge
02-14-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Bottom line though folks is that Mariotti still had positive things to say about the Sox, and bashed the Cubs.

Just something to remember the next time sobody comes on and states that he NEVER has anything good to say about our Sox.

This is the latest in a number of good things he has said about the team. (Selective memory is a dangerous thing!)

Lip

I've always thought Mariotti was an equal-opportunity basher. He clearly likes the Cubs more as the lovable team, and he's in awe of Sosa's power, but other than that, he trashes the Cubs' ownership just as much as anybody. My real problem with Mariotti is that he just whines and whines and rarely pokes his head into reality. But as I've said before, I don't envy the job of a sports columnist.

Shoeless Joe
02-15-2003, 11:03 AM
Mariotti is the biggest idiot in the Sun-Times. One day he writes that the White Sox are the most horrible team in town and the next he's praising them like there's no tomorrow! His infatuation with MJ and Sammy Sosa almost leads us to believe that they're involved in some bizarre love triangle. This was the same person who said Cade McNown was going to have a bright future throwing touchdowns like Slinging Sammy Baugh. Believe me when the Sox are half a game behind the Twinkies, he will go bonkers bringing up that the Sox should have kept Royce Clayton for his defense, Jesus Pena for his awe inspiring pitching, and Liu Rodriguez for his crushing power. Mariotti is a walking contradiction. Don't show any allegiance to him because he's going to stab you in the back.

upnorthsox
02-15-2003, 11:13 AM
Just wondering if anybody has seen it? and what do you think?? and where are the Mariotti bashers???

[B]"They may be a small-market team in a large market, but the best baseball story in town is the White Sox.........

Lip

LOL!! The Queen gives the Sox a backhanded compliment and we're suppose to forget his continous attack on our team?

Puhleeeaaase!!!!

I suggest you try rereading his unwarranted assault on Frank Thomas from November. Of course his relentless attack of JR I'm sure is quite appealing to those who continue to grind the same axe.

Btw, if the Sox are "The best baseball story in town" then why is 95% of his story about the Yankees?

RKMeibalane
02-15-2003, 12:07 PM
I've learned that one should never take anything Mariotti says seriously. If that man told me it was snowing outside, I would have to see for myself before I believed him. By this time next week, he'll be writing negative colums about the Sox. Just wait.

LuvSox
02-15-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I've learned that one should never take anything Mariotti says seriously. If that man told me it was snowing outside, I would have to see for myself before I believed him. By this time next week, he'll be writing negative colums about the Sox. Just wait. Right on. Off topic--is that stadium being built in Evansville? I heard that Mattingly was moving his team back home.

RKMeibalane
02-15-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Right on. Off topic--is that stadium being built in Evansville? I heard that Mattingly was moving his team back home.

They were still debating the issue the last time I checked. I don't live in Evansville during the school year, so I haven't been following the story closely. Mattingly and Cal Ripken have formed a partnership. They are considering moving the team to Evansville. I would imagine that the stadium construction will begin once the move is finalized.

Kilroy
02-15-2003, 02:55 PM
Just wondering if anybody has seen it? and what do you think?? and where are the Mariotti bashers???Lip

No matter how many good things he says about the Sox, Marriotti is still a piece of ****.

gogosoxgogo
02-15-2003, 04:21 PM
I don't necessarily think that Mariotti is a Sox basher. I think he is a Chicago basher. I have plenty of Cub fan friends who hate the guy just as much as we do. He just doesn't write positive articles. I don't see this little blurb as praising the Sox, but rather a way to bash the Cubs. He'll be right back on us when we lose 3 in a row.

Hangar18
02-17-2003, 08:38 AM
My prob w Mariotti, is why doesnt ride Reinsdorf more.
A lot more. A ton more... he certainly deserves it.
Reinsdorf deserves a whole spring/summers worth of media heat.
might make more things happen over on 35th.

soxguy
02-18-2003, 11:36 PM
does anyone wish marriotti and north would throw each other off the upper deck before we tear it down, id like to rid chicago of both of thos idiots.

voodoochile
02-19-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by soxguy
does anyone wish marriotti and north would throw each other off the upper deck before we tear it down, id like to rid chicago of both of thos idiots.

Invite them to push the plunger than lead them to the spot in section 535 row 33 and leave. They'd argue over who got to push it and never notice they were standing at ground zero...

upnorthsox
02-20-2003, 07:42 PM
Where are all the Mariotti fans today to tell us how wonderful a writer he is?

A sample:

In truth, he is the anti-Cub, the one source of pride for this tragicomic franchise, a transcendent figure whose name can be dropped eminently around the world. Like Michael Jordan, he is to be viewed as an eternal treasure, not ripped as a byproduct of some bizarre Second City inferiority complex that I'll never understand. People want to pick, pick, pick at Sosa, not satisfied he has hit 292 homers and driven in 705 runs the last five seasons for an offensively challenged ballclub that lost 95 or more games three times. I do wonder if racism is an underlying issue, if a segment of his detractors can't embrace a Latin star in a town where a white middle linebacker named Brian Urlacher is treated like a god.

But mostly, I think the problem is ignorance. They just don't get it, do they?

If you stomach can handle it:

Sammy's job tough enough (http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay20.html)

cheeses_h_rice
02-20-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by upnorthsox
Where are all the Mariotti fans today to tell us how wonderful a writer he is?

A sample:

In truth, he is the anti-Cub, the one source of pride for this tragicomic franchise, a transcendent figure whose name can be dropped eminently around the world. Like Michael Jordan, he is to be viewed as an eternal treasure, not ripped as a byproduct of some bizarre Second City inferiority complex that I'll never understand. People want to pick, pick, pick at Sosa, not satisfied he has hit 292 homers and driven in 705 runs the last five seasons for an offensively challenged ballclub that lost 95 or more games three times. I do wonder if racism is an underlying issue, if a segment of his detractors can't embrace a Latin star in a town where a white middle linebacker named Brian Urlacher is treated like a god.

But mostly, I think the problem is ignorance. They just don't get it, do they?

If you stomach can handle it:

Sammy's job tough enough (http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay20.html)

The Moron ran this idea up the flagpole last summer, IIRC, and a bunch of posters here (including me) disputed his assertion that racism has anything to do with selectively hating Sosa. I could name a few dozen non-white players on various Chicago teams that are incredibly well-loved.

The Moron has this intentional blind spot concerning Sham-ME's antics, both on the field and in the clubhouse, and I find it highly entertaining watching him play defense for the Shamster, especially since the various criticisms we Sox fans have about Sham-ME seem to be reaching critical mass, and spilling over into the general public, non-hardcore baseball fan area. Sham-ME himself seems to have finally gotten the message, sort of, that he needs to be more of a team player; we'll see if this sticks past about May or so -- I doubt it will. If the Flubs tank it this year and people start getting on Sham-ME's case for his obnoxious showboating, a million bucks says he bolts for another team at the end of the year. If only that were to come true...

czalgosz
02-20-2003, 08:27 PM
Cub fans will never criticize Sosa regardless of what he does or how bad the team is; they don't care how bad the team is. They want to see him hit homers, and wave and kiss at the crowd.

But to blame criticism of Sosa on racism is ridiculous. That's the same tired card that always gets played when people question a non-white celebrity, and it's been played so much that people are ignoring it.

Mariotti is just trying to get people to read his column; he'll accuse his readers of being child molesters if he thinks more people will read his drivel then.

As to him jumping on the Sox bandwagon, I hope he jumps right back off again. The last time he was talking like this was 2001...

Lip Man 1
02-20-2003, 11:58 PM
The only point I was trying to make is to dispell the notion that Jay NEVER has anything good to say about the Sox. (Which has been stated at WSI many times...)

As far as media bias, I respectfully suggest that those who are concerned about this need to get a grip on reality. Who cares what the media does or does not say about the Sox?

The only thinkg that matters is how the team does on the field. Win the division, make the playoffs, win a home game and maybe get to the second round, and you'll get all the media attention you can handle.

Sox fans shouldn't be so shallow that they get upset because of something a writer or TV guy does or does not say.

and yes, I admire Mariotti because he's got the guts to attack the "real" problem with all of Chicago sports, collectively the worst group of owners in organized professional sports.

Lip

DVG
02-21-2003, 01:04 AM
I've stated this before and I'll state it again- you will notice how
Mariotti will never state that Sosa is a hated man because he is
BLACK. Why? Well, it just so happens that the most revered fig-
ure in Cub history is Ernie Banks, followed closely by Billy Williams
and Andre Dawson was pretty loved, too. All three were black the
last time I checked. There was also a lot of hype surrounding the
hiring of Dusty Baker, who is also black, I think. So if he were to
play the race card from that angle, he'd come across as an even
bigger ignoramus than he already is.

I often wonder if it isn't a veiled shot at White Sox fans. I can't
read the guy's mind, but I've read some of his baseball columns
and I remember one that he wrote in September, 2001. It was
after Sosa waved the flag after homering in the first game back.
JM lauded Sosa as a fine patriot and ripped those who dared
criticize the stunt, saying that he "[had] to think" that those
who hated the display were "jealous White Sox fans" who saw
Sosa as an "ignorant foreigner" not worthy to carry the flag.
That was pretty ignorant and cheap, seeing as how some of the
most beloved Sox players in franchise history are Minnie Minoso,
Chico Carresquel, Luis Aparicio, Ozzie Guillen, Magglio Ordonez;
all "ignorant" foreigners and all Latin Americans.

Then again, it's just an observation. I could be reading too much
into it.

Hangar18
02-21-2003, 08:22 AM
The only point I was trying to make is to dispell the notion that Jay NEVER has anything good to say about the Sox. (Which has been stated at WSI many times...)

As far as media bias, I respectfully suggest that those who are concerned about this need to get a grip on reality. Who cares what the media does or does not say about the Sox?

The only thinkg that matters is how the team does on the field. Win the division, make the playoffs, win a home game and maybe get to the second round, and you'll get all the media attention you can handle.

Sox fans shouldn't be so shallow that they get upset because of something a writer or TV guy does or does not say.

and yes, I admire Mariotti because he's got the guts to attack the "real" problem with all of Chicago sports, collectively the worst group of owners in organized professional sports.

Lip

Lip, though I agree with you that maybe we shouldnt care, the Truth is, The MEDIA here and abroad are helping to PERPETUATE THE MYTH that CUBS are LOVED AND IT IS IMPORTANT TO SHOW EVERYTHING THEY DO. People see this...then they start believing it. Murphy on the Score uses this tactic on a Daily Basis. Yesterday, he read an "email" on how Cub fans can get to Cooperstown, tix price eetc etc. Why the hell would he do that? To Continue the Myth. Im sick and tired of the media GOING THRU the TROUBLE of Covering the Cubs when they COULD EASILY DO THE SAME for the SOX. IN fact...isnt it their jobs to do just that?? to be UNBIASED in their reporting? arenty they supposed to be Journalists??

T Dog
02-21-2003, 09:33 AM
When you add the word "sports," journalistic standards tend to drop.

Hangar18
02-21-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by T Dog
When you add the word "sports," journalistic standards tend to drop.
heh heh. how true this is

Wsoxmike59
02-22-2003, 08:46 AM

Lip

Lip, one positive paragraph in an article from a guy who has trashed the White Sox from top to bottom, ever since he got here, ...well that doesn't cut it with me.

Mariotti has put his poison pen to work against Sox players, fans, management, and ballpark. He writes like he has an axe to grind against the organization. For that I will never read him, nor will I ever forgive him.

If anybody needs to get a grip on reality, it's Jay Mariotti himself. He is overwhelmingly despised by Sox fans, and rightfully so, IMHO.

Lip Man 1
02-22-2003, 02:00 PM
He is overwhelmingly despised by Sox fans, and rightfully so

and he's laughing all the way to the bank over it! As Howard Cosell said one time "I don't care if you love me, or hate me...as long as you watch me..."

My point stands. If any fan gets upset or loses sleep over what a media person says (and I'm in the media) about their team, they need to take a long look at themselves.

All that matters is what happens on the field. If the Sox do as expected this season (no guarantees of course, after all these are the Sox were are talking about!) they'll get all the positive publicity they need. If they fall apart again, they'll get all the negative publicity they need and rightly so.

As for Mariotti, he is the way he is because of something Uncle Jerry did. Seems Uncle Jerry didn't like Jay and decided one day to call the owners of the Sun Times to try to get him fired. Needless to say Jay found out about it and since then it's been a blood feud between the two.

Can't say that I blame him for that. If Uncle Jerry just shut up and took it, like owners everywhere are expected to, he wouldn't have this problem.

But no...Uncle Jerry was going to show everyone again, who is the boss. LOL Now it's Jay's "mission" to destroy Reinsdorf whenever possible (and you know I think eight out of every ten Sox fans secretly wants that to happen! or has Sox fans suddenly decided that Uncle Jerry is a good owner and friend of the fan? LOL)

Lip

Lip

joecrede
02-22-2003, 04:16 PM

Lip

I think attacking ownership in this city is the easiest thing to do that's why Mariotti does it. I don't think he a very talented writer. He has written the same (negative) column over and over since he's been here.

joecrede
02-22-2003, 04:37 PM
As for Mariotti, he is the way he is because of something Uncle Jerry did. Seems Uncle Jerry didn't like Jay and decided one day to call the owners of the Sun Times to try to get him fired. Needless to say Jay found out about it and since then it's been a blood feud between the two.

So Mariotti isn't objective when he writes about the Bulls and Sox? He should let it be known in his column don't you think?

But no...Uncle Jerry was going to show everyone again, who is the boss. LOL Now it's Jay's "mission" to destroy Reinsdorf whenever possible (and you know I think eight out of every ten Sox fans secretly wants that to happen! or has Sox fans suddenly decided that Uncle Jerry is a good owner and friend of the fan? LOL)

Personally, I think Mariotti is the worst kind of writer there is. He panders to the lowest common denominator. Never once have I read him and learned something about the topic he was writing on. I think 8 out of 10 Sox fans would choose Reinsdorf over Mariotti.

Mariotti is intent on destroying the Sox.

voodoochile
02-22-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
He panders to the lowest common denominator. Never once have I read him and learned something about the topic he was writing on.

I agree. The Moron does as little work as he can and spouts the same crap time after time after time. I thought it was very interesting when someone posted a link to the Troll board for Mets fans and they were ripping on him for his TV time. He adds nothing to any topic except gasoline...

DVG
02-23-2003, 12:12 AM

My point stands. If any fan gets upset or loses sleep over what a media person says (and I'm in the media) about their team, they need to take a long look at themselves.

Lip [/B]

I find it ironic that you are arrogantly lecturing people to "take a
long look at themselves" because of what some "media person"
says. You are the one who, in more than one post, has openly
stated that you cannot wait until Jerry Reinsdorf dies. What kind
of a person allows himself to get so upset with the way a man
runs a private enterprise that he will wish death upon him? He's
not Adolf Hitler or Osama bin Laden for God's sake.

Yes, I will admit to letting Mariotti get me hot under the collar in the past. I promise you, mighty Lip, that I will search the depths
of my soul to find out the root causes of it. In the meantime, why
don't you join us in taking a good look at yourself?

DVG
02-23-2003, 12:21 AM

Lip

Lip [/b]

I'd have no problem with Jay's "blood feud" (do have any idea
how ridiculous that phrase sounds in connection with a dumb
sportswriter and a baseball owner?) if he limited the scope of
his criticism to his blood oath enemy. But he hasn't. He has
ripped on and taken cheap shots at everything about the ball-
club, including the fans.

TheBigHurt
02-23-2003, 01:08 AM
since i live in NYC, the only time i hear, see, or read about this moron is in that show Around the Horn....where he acts like an KNOW IT ALL MORON

too harsh for ya??

Lip Man 1
02-23-2003, 01:22 AM
DVG says:

You are the one who, in more than one post, has openly
runs a private enterprise that he will wish death upon him?

There is a BIG difference DVG between Uncle Jerry and Jay Mariotti.

What Uncle Jerry has done in his twenty plus years of being vindictive, arrogant and stupid is to help destroy a public trust. The White Sox aren't a local hardware store, they are not the neighborhood deli. He got a new stadium built with public funds and hasn't lived up to his end of the bargain. He has devalued the franchise and is primarily responsible for this public trust being in the shape that it's in.

Jay Mariotti is a newspaper writer...what he says and does has very little effect on the franchise. To think otherwise is to give him (and all media folks) way to much credit. Short of Mariotti killing Uncle Jerry, he can't affect the running of the franchise.

I'm sure Cub fans think he has that type of influence but I know Sox fans are smarter then that.

As far as my personal comments about Uncle Jerry, they may be in bad taste but it's reality. The minute you are born the clock starts running. It's going to happen sooner or later to everyone. As long as he keeps running the franchise into the ground his departure would be a benefit to the greater number, to the greater good.

Logically (as Mr. Spock would say...) the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one.

Lip

Hangar18
02-24-2003, 08:56 AM
DVG says:

You are the one who, in more than one post, has openly
runs a private enterprise that he will wish death upon him?

There is a BIG difference DVG between Uncle Jerry and Jay Mariotti.

What Uncle Jerry has done in his twenty plus years of being vindictive, arrogant and stupid is to help destroy a public trust. The White Sox aren't a local hardware store, they are not the neighborhood deli. He got a new stadium built with public funds and hasn't lived up to his end of the bargain. He has devalued the franchise and is primarily responsible for this public trust being in the shape that it's in.

Jay Mariotti is a newspaper writer...what he says and does has very little effect on the franchise. To think otherwise is to give him (and all media folks) way to much credit. Short of Mariotti killing Uncle Jerry, he can't affect the running of the franchise.

I'm sure Cub fans think he has that type of influence but I know Sox fans are smarter then that.

As far as my personal comments about Uncle Jerry, they may be in bad taste but it's reality. The minute you are born the clock starts running. It's going to happen sooner or later to everyone. As long as he keeps running the franchise into the ground his departure would be a benefit to the greater number, to the greater good.

Logically (as Mr. Spock would say...) the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one.

Lip

Im with Lip on this. The Sox arent the hardware store. JR Seems to have taken Sox Fans for Granted. Horribly. Blaming the Customers etc etc for his problems

Cheryl
02-24-2003, 09:58 AM

Lip [/B]

Here I am. What a ****. I don't care if he did "write" one positive column about the Sox, he can still #$*%#& *$*%&#@@.

upnorthsox
02-24-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl
Here I am. What a ****. I don't care if he did "write" one positive column about the Sox, he can still #$*%#& *$*%&#@@.

Well put Cheryl, I second and third that!!

:)

Kilroy
02-24-2003, 11:27 AM
Jay Mariotti is a newspaper writer...what he says and does has very little effect on the franchise. To think otherwise is to give him (and all media folks) way to much credit.

I have to disagree with this, completely. The sports media report the events that we, while interested, are not able to be present for. They provide the details in whatever perspective they choose that we use to perform our perceptions of the situations in which we have an interest. Without more facts than these, those perceptions become reality.

So when an unmitigated piece of **** like Mariotti writes half a quote from Frank Thomas that says ...I've got kids to support. I've got a lifestyle to support, and I like living my lifestyle." He's portraying Thomas extremely negatively, and that reflects badly on the franchise. If he adds the very next sentence out of Thomas' mouth, "But that has to be earned", no one could perceive Thomas badly for what he said. But that doesn't serve the purpose of that ****bag's agenda. So he manipulates the statements just so.

And almost every sports columnist in this town does the same things to Frank Thomas. How many times did we hear last week that Thomas had been in camp for what, a week before pitchers and catchers reported? Once? But the blowbag in blue decides to not show up late for the first time in 6 years, and the Chicago media treats it as if he'd just died on a cross to absolve the sins of humanity.

And you think that this has no effect on the franchise? Think again.

Chisox353014
02-24-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I agree. The Moron does as little work as he can and spouts the same crap time after time after time. I thought it was very interesting when someone posted a link to the Troll board for Mets fans and they were ripping on him for his TV time. He adds nothing to any topic except gasoline...

I didn't even have to read his column today to know that he would 1. make a comment about how Frank shouldn't make the Hall of Fame and 2. work in another completely gratuitous and out-of-context reference to the Black Sox scandal when referring to the White Sox as a franchise. These 2 things, plus the use of the term "ballmall" (shockingly absent from today's column - I guess he was so offended and enraged by Frank that the phrase didn't enter his pin head this time) are the staples of every negative Sox column he's written for the past 5 years. It's like clockwork. The guy is such a hack it's not even funny. The way I see it, the loser is only capable of writing 8 different columns:
1. Frank Thomas: BAD!
2. Jerry Krause: BAD!
3. Jauron/Shoop/Angelo/current Bear bonehead: BAD!
4. Tribune: BAD!
5. Sammy Sosa: GOOD!
6. Tiger Woods: GOOD!
7. Mark Prior/Kerry Wood=JESUS!
8. Michael Jordan: What's he gonna do next? (featuring "exclusive" interview [read:harassment] with MJ in parking lot)
That's it. Outside of few Kobe Bryant suck-up pieces and woefully ignorant forays into talking about the Blackhawks, that is all his feeble mind is capable of writing about. Read his column for two weeks and you will see at least 5 or 6 of these columns show up.

baggio202
02-24-2003, 12:54 PM
here is my answer to marriotti..i dont read him..the only time i do is when i see his stuff posted in white sox websites...i dont go out of my way to read his stuff....i get phones calls from the sun times about 2 month or so...( though they havent calld in a while - must have finally gotten the hint :smile: )...asking me if i want to subscribe...my answer....does jay marriotti still write for your paper???...usually i get "i dont know"..so my answer is well go find out and if he got fired then call me back...if he is still there dont bother...

Cheryl
02-24-2003, 01:11 PM
If everyone would quit reading him, he'd go away.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-24-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
If everyone would quit reading him, he'd go away.

I agree 100 percent.

I knowingly make myself miserable supporting a baseball team that hasn't gotten over the championship hump since the Kaiser was astride Europe. To my way of thinking, supporting the Sox is a cause.

However, reading Moronotti has no such value. In fact, 99 percent of the time it is pure ****. I would consider myself a dope to read it every day.

:discomoron
"All publicity is good publicity, PHG. Just make sure they spell your name right!!!"

southpaw40
02-24-2003, 02:02 PM
originally posted by Lip Man 1Seems Uncle Jerry didn't like Jay and decided one day to call the owners of the Sun Times to try to get him fired.

I assume this has been verified, or you wouldn't have posted it. If so, what was JR's reaction when it became public knowledge?

southpaw40
02-25-2003, 10:20 AM
Lip Man 1:
Please tell me where I can find the confirmation that "Uncle Jerry" attempted to have Mariotti fired!
thanks,

Lip Man 1
02-25-2003, 12:08 PM
Nothing was ever put in writing.

I have been told this from three different sources including Rob Wuczinski who worked as senior producer for what was then One On One Radio Sports with Jay, he had the morning show for that network for a few years. (that's now called The Sporting News Radio Network) as well as some of the media folks that I have interviewed for WSI.

Uncle Jerry got very upset about something Jay wrote, I'd say around 97 and called the senior editors and owners of the Sun Times to try to get him fired. Basically those individuals laughed at Uncle Jerry.

Naturally Jay found out about this and as you might expect didn't take to kindly to it. (as most individuals would given the same circumstances.) So that's why he is "biased" against Uncle Jerry. (can't say that I blame him.)

I would argue that he isn't biased against the Sox themselves but I can understand why other folks, knowing the history between the two would feel that way.

Lip

southpaw40
02-25-2003, 12:28 PM
originally posted by Lip Man 1: I have been told this from three different sources...........

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but you obviously feel these sources are being truthful....do they warrant this trust? This is an amazing accusation against a businessman of the stature of JR, and I find it hard to believe someone of this stature would do something like this.

Let me ask a hypothetical question, please......If you suddenly found this situation to be untrue, would you still have the same contempt for JR that you obviously do?

Lip Man 1
02-25-2003, 09:44 PM
To answer your second question first, yes.....over twenty years of Uncle Jerry being the worst owner in sports has forged my opinion of him.

As to your first question, absolutely. Rob WORKED with Jay, the other sources personally know him. From what I understand this is pretty common knowledge among the Chicago media.

It's never been brought out by the other papers because they have nothing to gain from it. The Sun Times isn't going to make an issue of it because they don't want this to be the start of a trend...i.e. that anytime an owner has an issue with someone they start calling up the owners, editors and publishers.

Yes it is incredible but it's not the first time I've heard of something like this happening. I give the folks who run the Sun Times a lot of credit for having the "guts" to stand by their employee.

Lip