PDA

View Full Version : A Heavenly Dream


Paulwny
08-14-2001, 11:22 AM
With no game yesterday I sat in my patio and decided to catch up on some reading. As my mind wandered I thought , man, some of those guys (you guys) are right. The way the Tribe and Twins are playing if the sox can win 12-13 out of the next 15 we'd probably be in 1st.

Just think, after~ 3wks. into the season almost all of us swore, cried and blamed everyone, JM, KW, JR and most of the players. I don't think there was one player who was not bashed, tradeable, should be released or should be sent to the minors.

A 2001 sox team whom many of us, including me , have called a disaster. A season that seems to be taking an eternity to come to an end. If by some miracle this team wins the division, who knows, the best team doesn't always win the world series.

I pictured myself talking to my future grand children and telling them of the great come back team of 2001. The team with so many injuries they still wouldn't quit, the team that shocked the baseball world.

Then I heard a voice, my wife, "What's with the smile on your face?" My reply, "I'm thinking of heaven."

I know this is as corny as it gets, but hell I can dream can't I?

voodoochile
08-14-2001, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny

Then I heard a voice, my wife, "What's with the smile on your face?" My reply, "I'm thinking of heaven."

I know this is as corny as it gets, but hell I can dream can't I?

Nothing corny about dreamin'...

GO SOX!!!

cheeses_h_rice
08-14-2001, 11:43 AM
I had similar thoughts as I was drifting off to sleep last night...

Sox sneak into 1st in the Central by 2 games, as the Twins continue to crumble and the Injuns fade. They vanquish the Mariners in 4 games, then the Yanks in 5, then the Astros in 7. Maggs hits a game-winning HR in the bottom of the 10th at Comiskey off of Billy Wagner, Sox win 4-3 in Game 7.

Children weep, statues crumble, Sox fans rejoice.

It could still happen, couldn't it?

Kilroy
08-14-2001, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Sox sneak into 1st in the Central by 2 games, as the Twins continue to crumble and the Injuns fade...

I also have had similar thoughts from time to time. If the Sox made the playoffs, that would be reason enough for jubliation.
If they happened to beat someone once they got there, that would be icing...

voodoochile
08-14-2001, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Children weep, statues crumble, Sox fans rejoice.


Frank Thomas sits and quietly cries...

Sorry, it would be a great thing, but I would be very sad for the Big Hurt...

cheeses_h_rice
08-14-2001, 11:57 AM
Yeah, it would be like the Bears winning the Super Bowl in '85 and Walter being out the whole year.

Fisk Fan
08-14-2001, 12:00 PM
That would be bittersweet, and imagine the ammunition we would have for those idiot Flubs fans!

Moses_Scurry
08-14-2001, 12:02 PM
If the Sox were to come back and make the playoffs, coupled with the downfall of the flubs, I would achieve complete and total bliss. The flowers would bloom and the birds would sing! It would be like Christmas in October.

steff
08-14-2001, 12:05 PM
Frank can choke on his tears for all I care.. Not stopping by while his team was in Anaheim. Not bothering to stop by the field when he's here in Chicago seeing his kids.... disgusting. Especially since there's still a chance.

CLR01
08-14-2001, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Frank can choke on his tears for all I care.. Not stopping by while his team was in Anaheim. Not bothering to stop by the field when he's here in Chicago seeing his kids.... disgusting. Especially since there's still a chance.



Have you been watching the games? I have seen Frank sitting in the sox dugout a number of times when they when they are at home.

Soxboyrob
08-14-2001, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by CLR01

Have you been watching the games? I have seen Frank sitting in the sox dugout a number of times when they when they are at home.

Personally, I've watched about 90-95% of all of the Sox' innings this season and have not ever ever ever seen Frank in the dugout, since approximately one week post-injury. I think you might be mistaken.

steff
08-14-2001, 05:16 PM
Since the surgery Frank has been at 2 games that I have been at Comiskey Park. And was not in uniform signing like Jose was while injured and like Harold does a couple times a week. As a matter of fact, I think the article this past week (the Southtown??)made reference to the fact that he was in LA and didn't bother to show up. As for in Chicago, he's rarely ever here since he's rehabing several times a week at his home in LA.

voodoochile
08-14-2001, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Since the surgery Frank has been at 2 games that I have been at Comiskey Park. And was not in uniform signing like Jose was while injured and like Harold does a couple times a week. As a matter of fact, I think the article this past week (the Southtown??)made reference to the fact that he was in LA and didn't bother to show up. As for in Chicago, he's rarely ever here since he's rehabing several times a week at his home in LA.

I guess I don't get the point. If the team were concerned then they would say something and Frank would come to more games or get fined. This has to be an excedingly frustrating season for Frank. He expected them to challange for the pennant, then there was the training camp mishap, then he had a career threatening injury, got attacked by Boomer while injured and had his father pass away (oh... that little thing). Have you lost any parents Steff? The depression can last for years in some cases when the relation is close as it was between frank and his Dad. I lost my father in January 1999. The loss is still with me everyday. Frank should get a pass on this season, not because of his injury but because for all we know all he is capable of presently is sitting on his couch eating Ben and Jerrys and crying. Walk a mile in his shoes and then say something, but until then it is really unacceptable (IMO) to be reaming the man out. You don't like Frank? Fine, but at least try to understand where his head is at before telling him to kiss off...

I'm trying to be nice here, but you really set me off, so if you want to argue about this, we can go to the parking lot. I'm not going to be nice if we go out there though, not at all...

steff
08-14-2001, 05:49 PM
Woah!!! I have all the sympathy in the world for Frank. I've been traveling to ST for the past 13 years and have gotten to know a lot of the guys, their wives, kids. I saw Frank after his father passed away - at the Hunt Club no less - and we talked. I have partied with a lot of these guys and have enormous respect for them beyond the field. My point was that although he's not required to be there he could. Bernie's dad passed away, he's on the field. Paul O'Neils dad passed away, he's on the field. If Frank is mentally OK enough to be out drinking and in Vegas gambling, would it be too much to ask to show the team some support? For the record, I lost my grandfather - who raised me while my father was investing $$ in his beer belly - in 1999 and not a day goes by that I don't cry tears for him.

voodoochile
08-14-2001, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Woah!!! I have all the sympathy in the world for Frank. I've been traveling to ST for the past 13 years and have gotten to know a lot of the guys, their wives, kids. I saw Frank after his father passed away - at the Hunt Club no less - and we talked. I have partied with a lot of these guys and have enormous respect for them beyond the field. My point was that although he's not required to be there he could. Bernie's dad passed away, he's on the field. Paul O'Neils dad passed away, he's on the field. If Frank is mentally OK enough to be out drinking and in Vegas gambling, would it be too much to ask to show the team some support? For the record, I lost my grandfather - who raised me while my father was investing $$ in his beer belly - in 1999 and not a day goes by that I don't cry tears for him.

Cool, sorry for getting so worked up. it's obviously a sensitive subject for me.