PDA

View Full Version : best verbal sparring with opponents stories

hose
02-13-2003, 01:28 PM
Early in the 2000 season the Sox got into a nasty brawl with the Detroit Tigers at Comiskey. The Sox starting playing lights out baseball shortly after this fight and were a first place club.

Later in the season the Tigers went into NY for a weekend series. Bobby Higginson came up with a big hit in one of the games which helped beat the Yankees. After the game Higginson was asked about the White Sox. His reply,which made ESPN, was that one of these days the Sox will wake up. This was meant to be a put down of the Sox and Higginson made his feelings clear.
I made a mental note of Bobby's comments and circled Sept 11 on the schedule which was a Monday 7:05 game.

I made sure I got into Comiskey as soon as the gates were opened and went straight to the Tigers batting practice and patiently waited for Higginson.

Higginson went to the hitting tee which was set up behind the batting cage at home plate, I was maybe 5 feet from him when I
yelled at Hippo Hurricane Holler decibels , " HEY HIGGINSON DID YOU READ THE PAPERS WHEN YOU WOKE UP"

Higginson was totally shocked and bugged eyed surprised that I
was in his face, he meakly said, "yeah"
I then yelled, "THE SOX ARE STILL IN FIRST, WHAT PLACE ARE THE TIGERS?"

Higginson then turned and started heading for the outfield. Bill Madlock was at the cage and yelled over at me , "Why don't you go get another hot dog?"

I yelled back, "Looks like you ate them all already" . The Tigers taking batting practice snickered and Madlock glared over at me.
I then added fuel to the fire by yelling, " HEY MADLOCK YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB WITH GONZALES"

Now the Tiger players were biting their lips trying not to bust out laughing . Madlock yelled to someone and pointed at me saying I was swearing and they are little kids around. Which I yelled right back, "I HAVEN'T USED ONE SWEAR WORD AND YOU KNOW IT"

Madlock comes over right in front of me as if to intimidate me and starts signing a few autographs, he mumbles something about man to man . I was no more than 6 inches from him and stood my ground till he went back to the cage.

A ball comes rolling up towards me about the same time Roger Bossard walks by. He picks up the ball and tosses it to me.
Madlock sees all this and yells at Bossard, 'I want that ball back, that is our property and THAT guy isn't getting it."

Bossard is totally taken by surprise and can't believe what Madlock is saying.

Madlock again yells at Bossard saying he has no right to give that ball away and that he wants the ball back.
Bossard comes up to me and sheepishly asks for the ball back. I said to Roger that I don't want to make a hard time for him , but how about getting a ball from the Sox dugout to replace it.
Bossard goes into the Sox dugout and gets a ball and walks over to me and we exchange baseballs. I thanked bossard for all his trouble.

Madlock is watching me like a hawk the whole time and gives me a "in your face" when finally I exchanged baseballs.
Using the quick wit of a White Sox fan I held the ball up and yelled over to Madlock, "Frank Thomas's autograph ALLRIGHT"
Madlock turned away and didn't mention another word.

I waited till the Tigers finished batting practice and Bossard walked by me again and I said thanks again, which Bossard replied that he thought Madlock was....well lets leave it at that.

And that wasn't the end of it. Bill Gleason was on the field and I
was able to ask him a few questions about the Sox pitchers. Gleason said Eldrid was finished and that Baldwin couldn't even raise his arm in the clubhouse.

Iwritecode
02-13-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by hose
Early in the 2000 season the Sox got into a nasty brawl with the Detroit Tigers at Comiskey. The Sox starting playing lights out baseball shortly after this fight and were a first place club.

Later in the season the Tigers went into NY for a weekend series. Bobby Higginson came up with a big hit in one of the games which helped beat the Yankees. After the game Higginson was asked about the White Sox. His reply,which made ESPN, was that one of these days the Sox will wake up. This was meant to be a put down of the Sox and Higginson made his feelings clear.
I made a mental note of Bobby's comments and circled Sept 11 on the schedule which was a Monday 7:05 game.

I made sure I got into Comiskey as soon as the gates were opened and went straight to the Tigers batting practice and patiently waited for Higginson.

Higginson went to the hitting tee which was set up behind the batting cage at home plate, I was maybe 5 feet from him when I
yelled at Hippo Hurricane Holler decibels , " HEY HIGGINSON DID YOU READ THE PAPERS WHEN YOU WOKE UP"

Higginson was totally shocked and bugged eyed surprised that I
was in his face, he meakly said, "yeah"
I then yelled, "THE SOX ARE STILL IN FIRST, WHAT PLACE ARE THE TIGERS?"

Higginson then turned and started heading for the outfield. Bill Madlock was at the cage and yelled over at me , "Why don't you go get another hot dog?"

I yelled back, "Looks like you ate them all already" . The Tigers taking batting practice snickered and Madlock glared over at me.
I then added fuel to the fire by yelling, " HEY MADLOCK YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB WITH GONZALES"

Now the Tiger players were biting their lips trying not to bust out laughing . Madlock yelled to someone and pointed at me saying I was swearing and they are little kids around. Which I yelled right back, "I HAVEN'T USED ONE SWEAR WORD AND YOU KNOW IT"

Madlock comes over right in front of me as if to intimidate me and starts signing a few autographs, he mumbles something about man to man . I was no more than 6 inches from him and stood my ground till he went back to the cage.

A ball comes rolling up towards me about the same time Roger Bossard walks by. He picks up the ball and tosses it to me.
Madlock sees all this and yells at Bossard, 'I want that ball back, that is our property and THAT guy isn't getting it."

Bossard is totally taken by surprise and can't believe what Madlock is saying.

Madlock again yells at Bossard saying he has no right to give that ball away and that he wants the ball back.
Bossard comes up to me and sheepishly asks for the ball back. I said to Roger that I don't want to make a hard time for him , but how about getting a ball from the Sox dugout to replace it.
Bossard goes into the Sox dugout and gets a ball and walks over to me and we exchange baseballs. I thanked bossard for all his trouble.

Madlock is watching me like a hawk the whole time and gives me a "in your face" when finally I exchanged baseballs.
Using the quick wit of a White Sox fan I held the ball up and yelled over to Madlock, "Frank Thomas's autograph ALLRIGHT"
Madlock turned away and didn't mention another word.

I waited till the Tigers finished batting practice and Bossard walked by me again and I said thanks again, which Bossard replied that he thought Madlock was....well lets leave it at that.

And that wasn't the end of it. Bill Gleason was on the field and I
was able to ask him a few questions about the Sox pitchers. Gleason said Eldrid was finished and that Baldwin couldn't even raise his arm in the clubhouse.

New rule: No WSI members are allowed to go to the games when the Tigers are in town. cough *Randar* cough cough...

moochpuppy
02-13-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
New rule: No WSI members are allowed to go to the games when the Tigers are in town. cough *Randar* cough cough...

LMAO!!!

The Sox weren't the only ones swingin' for the fences that day. :D:

kevingrt
02-13-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
LMAO!!!

The Sox weren't the only ones swingin' for the fences that day. :D:

I'd have to agree 110% :smile:

jeremyb1
02-13-2003, 05:23 PM
i have a pretty good one that i didn't participate in but witnessed. i can't recall the exact year of this game. i think it was '01 or maybe '00. we were playing the rangers. there was a 20 or 30 minute rain delay at one point late in the game, so at lot of the seats cleared out near the rangers dugout. i went and sat down in the first row directly behind the rangers dugout there. the game proceeded into extra innings.

in the top of the tenth, palmero was scheduled to bat. while he was on deck a guy seated next to started shouting things at palmero. i couldn't really make out what he was saying. it sounded to be something about a hotel room at some point in the past but it was completely unintelligible to me. whatever it was, palmero became visibly upset and kept looking back at the guy and made a few comments although i don't remember what they were.

the rangers went three up three down in the 10th with palmero making an out and this guy getting back on him. in the top of the 10th, the sox scored on a walkoff homerun (by valentin i believe). the crowd was going nuts and the guy that had been taunting palmero before stood right in front of the visitor's dugout screaming and pointed at palmero on his way into the dugout. palmero absolutely lost it. he started screaming at the guy to come down on the field and fight him and let lose a huge string of profanities about how badly he was going to beat him. i've never seen a big league player get that riled up by a fan. it was incredible. the guy just continued to laugh and scream at palmero while security convinced him to proceed to the clubhouse.

AgentCooper
02-13-2003, 09:57 PM
I became a huge jay buhner fan because of a huge string of insults we sent back and forth at a double header in 1999. And he remembered me at a game in 2000. I was very proud. I never knew a "You've got herpes" chant would leave such an impression. He'd flip me off and I'd ask how his wife and my kids were doing. Good times. I'm sad he retired.

hose
02-16-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

Is there a story here? lets hear it :cool:

Iwritecode
02-17-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by hose
Is there a story here? lets hear it :cool:

Yes there is. Sadly though, the original post was lost...

DrCrawdad
02-17-2003, 12:50 PM
1999, the Sunday game of the Crosstown I heckled Steve Trachsel and the Cub pitching coach Marty Demarit (sp?) while Trachsel warmed up in the old right-field bullpen.

I was yelling at Trachsel asking him how it felt to earn several million per win (he only had about 3 wins at that point). Trachsel never responded but Demaritt did. Then I asked Demaritt if he was going to need directions or a ride to the unemployment office. Soon thereafter Demaritt got fired.