PDA

View Full Version : Rogers Neighborhood?

MetalliSox
02-13-2003, 12:26 PM
Boston seems close to aquiring Millar. This would take them out of the Rogers race.

Could Chicago still become Roger's Neighborhood? I don't see why the Sox can not spring a little more cash for him though.

NewyorkSoxFan
02-13-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
Boston seems close to aquiring Millar. This would take them out of the Rogers race.

Could Chicago still become Roger's Neighborhood? I don't see why the Sox can not spring a little more cash for him though.

Absolutely not!! If anything let them come back asking for a job. Turn the screws on Boras. See how much money he can "Dream" up for KR in Japan.

NYSF

34 Inch Stick
02-13-2003, 12:43 PM
Pay more? Konerko I would love to be on the other end of a negotiation with you.

The offer should go down from here and if we don't get him, so be it. Give 'em hell Kenny.

hold2dibber
02-13-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
Absolutely not!! If anything let them come back asking for a job. Turn the screws on Boras. See how much money he can "Dream" up for KR in Japan.

NYSF

Now you're thinking like Reinsdorf! Just because you hate the agent isn't a very good reason to not try to acquire a player who can help you out (please, please, let's not start debating whether Rogers will actually help - we've been done that road already, ad nauseum).

LuvSox
02-13-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan

NYSF Good point. If he was worth having he would be in spring training by now.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-13-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Now you're thinking like Reinsdorf! Just because you hate the agent isn't a very good reason to not try to acquire a player who can help you out (please, please, let's not start debating whether Rogers will actually help - we've been done that road already, ad nauseum).

If we're to believe KW, he didn't make a formal offer to Boras. He simply expressed interest and tossed around some figures and signing details. This is smart because we all know Boras will take whatever he gets in writing and shop it to everyone he possibly can trying to get a matching offer. Without something in writing, Boras's leverage isn't nearly so good.

A good faith negotiation would dictate leaving the offer precisely as originally discussed. Of course the longer this drags out (like camp opening this weekend) the less the expectation must be to leave everything as it was.

Boras is racing against time. I wouldn't be surprised if Rogers landed in Japan, earning a fraction of what the Sox theoretically offered. That will be Boras's excuse with Rogers. He'll claim the Sox never made a bona fide offer. He is slime.

34 Inch Stick
02-13-2003, 01:13 PM
There is usually a time frame on an offer made in good faith. It has been over a week now. The situation changed and the market has depressed. An adjustment of the offer should be expected.

MetalliSox
02-13-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Pay more? Konerko I would love to be on the other end of a negotiation with you.

The offer should go down from here and if we don't get him, so be it. Give 'em hell Kenny.

I was under the impression we only offered $300,000 or a tad more than that. Rogers should be able to get more. The Sox can be a tad respectable at some point.

Maybe the 300K report is wrong though.

duke of dorwood
02-13-2003, 02:26 PM
I'm pulling big time for Boras to cost his guy big $ and a trip to Japan. Hope he falls so hard I hear it

NewyorkSoxFan
02-13-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

KR has hired his agent to make decisions on which teams and how much money he will accept. He has already srewed him by not taking he Texas deal. Boras has severely miscalculated the market this offseason and one of his clients is paying for that mistake.

Why should the Sox help him out? He has never dealt with the Sox in good faith. It's personal with him and his feelings about JR, so why should we bail him out by offering more money. If he has a better deal let him take it, but I think he is bluffing and obviously so do the other teams in MLB.

NYSF

gogosoxgogo
02-13-2003, 04:35 PM
I realize my severe optimism is sayin this, but I think the Sox still have a very good shot at acquiring Rogers. Boston doesn't seem like a good fit for him when they get Millar (which they will). No other teams want him. Boras screwed Rogers over this offseason. I hope they come crawling back to us, because then we'll have the upper hand in negotiations.