PDA

View Full Version : Questions

ChiSox1983
02-13-2003, 10:05 AM
Does anyone know if there is going to be any kind of recognition for the "83 team this year? because of the 20 year anniversary?
Also a now question with the addition of Colon is he going to be the opening day starter?

Juan Pizarro
02-14-2003, 02:48 PM
Yeah. They're bringing back Dybzynski to run Vance Law off third just for old time's sake.

voodoochile
02-14-2003, 03:02 PM
Wouldn't that just be SOOO JR...

Let's celebrate a team that didn't even win the pennant...

Nellie_Fox
02-14-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Wouldn't that just be SOOO JR...

Let's celebrate a team that didn't even win the pennant... Be gentle. ChiSox1983 is a recently reformed Cubs fan. Let's not forget that they have made a cottage industry out of celbrations and reunions of the 1969 Cubs, who were one of the biggest chokes in the history of professional sports, so he's accustomed to that sort of thinking.

Juan Pizarro
02-14-2003, 03:10 PM
I still can't forgive Reinsdorf and Co. for putting a champagne bottle on the '83 playoff program. Like making the ALCS was IT!

HITMEN OF 77
02-14-2003, 04:49 PM
I'm sure they will have some sort of "turn back the clock" type uniformes they will wear a day or two this season from 1983. Luck is on our side, in 1983 the All-Star game was at Comiskey and 20 years later here we are. Another ALCS? We can only hope that and more! Oh and let's not forget the 10 year cycle we have been on since 1983 ALCS, 1993 ALCS, 2003 ?? WS??

Lip Man 1
02-14-2003, 08:45 PM
Fox Sports Chicago is producing a one hour documentary that will be run sometime during the season on the 83 Sox.

It'll be a look back at that team and that season, sort of like the documentary that WFLD ran in September of 83 after the Sox clinched called "Next Year Is Here" reviewing the season with interviews and game highlights (which I have on video tape)

Also if any of those players on the 83 team were voted members of the Sox All Century team, they will be in Chicago for the All Star Game festivities. The February WSI Interview guest (who'll be up in a few weeks) told me that all of those living team members have received invitations.

I assume that means Harold at least will be there.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
02-14-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Be gentle. ChiSox1983 is a recently reformed Cubs fan. Let's not forget that they have made a cottage industry out of celebrations and reunions of the 1969 Cubs, who were one of the biggest chokes in the history of professional sports, so he's accustomed to that sort of thinking.

This is so, soooo true. Does anybody even realize the '69 Flubbies won just 92 games? They finished EIGHT GAMES out of first-place. They were closer to FOURTH PLACE, than first!!!

It's makes no difference to their legion of moronic fans. They romanticize the futility of it all as though finishing second was answering a higher calling. You can't go a week in the summertime without hearing somebody else talk about this loser team. Is there any Sox Fan who would have anything but BITTER memories of such a season?

Cub fans are idiots. Stoned ****ing idiots. I hold up the '69 Flubbies as Exhibit A to prove my point.

RKMeibalane
02-14-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Cub fans are idiots. Stoned ****ing idiots. I hold up the '69 Flubbies as Exhibit A to prove my point.

Cubs fans are stupid. They spend more time talking about "what might have been" than any other group of sports fans, even Red Sox fans. If I never here the phrase "wait 'till next year" again, it will still be too soon.

voodoochile
02-14-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Be gentle. ChiSox1983 is a recently reformed Cubs fan. Let's not forget that they have made a cottage industry out of celbrations and reunions of the 1969 Cubs, who were one of the biggest chokes in the history of professional sports, so he's accustomed to that sort of thinking.

This is so, soooo true. Does anybody even realize the '69 Flubbies won just 92 games? They finished EIGHT GAMES out of first-place. They were closer to FOURTH PLACE, than first!!!

It's makes no difference to their legion of moronic fans. They romanticize the futility of it all as though finishing second was answering a higher calling. You can't go a week in the summertime without hearing somebody else talk about this loser team. Is there any Sox Fan who would have anything but BITTER memories of such a season?

Originally posted by RKMeibalane

Cubs fans are stupid. They spend more time talking about "what might have been" than any other group of sports fans, even Red Sox fans. If I never here the phrase "wait 'till next year" again, it will still be too soon.

I thought of bringing it up, but decided to give our new friend a pass. Of course there are no free passes at WSI. It's trial by fire...

You guys would be telling AA members that the only way to truly be free of the addiciton is to spend nights on Rush street and not drink.

:D:

PaleHoseGeorge
02-14-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I thought of bringing it up, but decided to give our new friend a pass. Of course there are no free passes at WSI. It's trial by fire...

You guys would be telling AA members that the only way to truly be free of the addiciton is to spend nights on Rush street and not drink.

:D:

As a Sox Fan raised as a Cubs fan by his Cubs fan father, I thought I was within my "rights." :smile:

Chisox1983 asked if making the full conversion from Cub fan to Sox Fan is possible. As the founder of White Sox Interactive, I believe the answer is a resounding "YES!"

:gulp:

LuvSox
02-15-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro
Yeah. They're bringing back Dybzynski to run Vance Law off third just for old time's sake. OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I was 14 at the time and really liked Dyb for some reason. Then he blows it on the bases in that game, I was crushed.

Lip Man 1
02-15-2003, 10:32 PM
Go to the WSI Interview link on the left hand side of the main page and then link up to the Vance Law interview.

Law has a different explanation for that play, one that I have never heard proposed before anywhere.

Lip

SI1020
02-15-2003, 11:38 PM

Cub fans are idiots. Stoned ****ing idiots. I hold up the '69 Flubbies as Exhibit A to prove my point. I remember that year like it was yesterday. John Justin Smith who wrote a column for the old Daily News and was a big Sox fan kept predicting a pennant for our guys as late as July. The Go Go days were over but he couldn't admit it. Meanwhile the "miracle on Addison Street" was unfolding but some of us saw chinks in the armor by the All Star break. The cubs collapse was complete and total. Only Bill Hands and Billy Williams were not guilty IMO. The ironic thing for me that summer was my employment at the old Post Office above the Eisenhower Expressway. Whoever was in charge of the TV in the big cafeteria must have been a die hard Sox fan. If the Sox were on TV the game was always on. I can still hear the voice of Jack Drees. I actually felt bad for the cubs and their fans by early September when it was obvious the party was over. Blame it on the innocence of youth.

Bmr31
02-15-2003, 11:56 PM

Can you get to the point? Lol just kidding. Tell us how you really feel, PHG.

hold2dibber
02-16-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by LuvSox
OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I was 14 at the time and really liked Dyb for some reason. Then he blows it on the bases in that game, I was crushed.

Hold two, Dibber!!!!! :whiner: