PDA

View Full Version : Personal Trainers

Paulwny
02-13-2003, 08:35 AM
No wonder we can't win, our guys can't afford personal trainers.

The Post has learned that The Boss' latest move eliminates Jason Giambi's personal strength and conditioning coach, Bobby Alejo, from the Yankees' traveling party, and denies him access to the clubhouse and Yankee Stadium facilities.

Supposedly, Steinbrenner saw the access Alejo had and was concerned other players who have personal trainers were feeling slighted by not having their guys around. Bernie Williams, Jorge Posada, Roger Clemens, David Wells and Jeter work with personal trainers.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/30402.htm

LuvSox
02-13-2003, 09:59 AM
Yankee pansies

hose
02-13-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
No wonder we can't win, our guys can't afford personal trainers.

The Post has learned that The Boss' latest move eliminates Jason Giambi's personal strength and conditioning coach, Bobby Alejo, from the Yankees' traveling party, and denies him access to the clubhouse and Yankee Stadium facilities.

Supposedly, Steinbrenner saw the access Alejo had and was concerned other players who have personal trainers were feeling slighted by not having their guys around. Bernie Williams, Jorge Posada, Roger Clemens, David Wells and Jeter work with personal trainers.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/30402.htm

Why would a personal trainer travel with the team?
I can't blame Steiny for putting his foot down.

I read where Konerko got real serious this past off season and added some muscle and is in top shape. I'm sure he found a happy medium between a slacker like Mark Grace and a pumping iron freak like Gabe Kapler.

The biggest change that I have seen since I've been following baseball is the conditioning of the players. Throw in some juice and skinny guys like Sosa and Bonds turn into freaks. Weight
training was discouraged years ago and players like Yaz were pretty adamant about it. Could you imagine if Mickey Mantle trained.....whoa!!

Paulwny
02-13-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by hose
Could you imagine if Mickey Mantle trained.....whoa!!

I always had wished that Mantle were in better physical condition. If he hadn't been classified 4f by the draft board he'd have spent a few years in the army and the sox would have won a few more pennants in the mid to late 50's.

hose
02-13-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I always had wished that Mantle were in better physical condition. If he hadn't been classified 4f by the draft board he'd have spent a few years in the army and the sox would have won a few more pennants in the mid to late 50's.

excellent point