PDA

View Full Version : Is it back to Comiskey?

Thunderstruck30
02-12-2003, 08:03 PM
I heard on SportsCenter on Sunday that some commitee might not allow them to change the name of Comiskey to U.S. Cellular. I was wondering if anyone heard anything about that and if anyone had any information about them keeping the name Comiskey.

OEO Magglio
02-12-2003, 08:17 PM
It's US Cellular Field, that was just somebody trying to make a controversey out of nothing, it is US Cellular Field.

Lip Man 1
02-12-2003, 09:40 PM
You are referring to the poster who brought up the point that the Illinois Sports Stadium Authority still has to approve the deal.

Supposedly there is some concern by some of that body's committee members over this.

If it wasn't for the fact that by not approving the deal, Sox fans would be stuck with the masolium, I'd wish for the authority to do just that...not approve it...I'd love to see them screw Uncle Jerry.

Lip

TheBigHurt
02-12-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
It's US Cellular Field, that was just somebody trying to make a controversey out of nothing, it is US Cellular Field.

way to kill our hopes and dreams :D:

kevingrt
02-13-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
way to kill our hopes and dreams :D:

Who cares what it's called, don't we all care about the performance on the field?

TRL
02-13-2003, 04:42 PM
I'm with kevingrt on this one.

Does it really matter what the name is? All that matters is that the players bust their butts and play like they are capable of. Personally I've decided to call it U.S. Cellular Field at Comiskey Park.

Call it whatever you want...it's still the same place.

duke of dorwood
02-13-2003, 10:46 PM
Maybe its the same committee that didnt want lites in Wrigley Field.If so, maybe it will be US Cellular park for 18 games?

ohalloran
02-14-2003, 06:33 PM
I like TRL's idea. They could even increase naming rights revenue further. How about ..U. S. Cellular Field at Comiskey Park brought to you by Falstaff...? (Or whoever).

alohafri
02-14-2003, 08:24 PM
I'll give you 86 million reasons why the Stadium Authority will approve it.

pudge
02-14-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
I'll give you 86 million reasons why the Stadium Authority will approve it.

LOL, I can think of 68, but you must have another 18 up your sleeve. ;)

voodoochile
02-14-2003, 09:47 PM
If by some fluke this deal did indeed end up getting refused, wouldn't JR have a legal recourse? I mean, you can't just refuse to allow the team to sell the naming rights if it is within their legal rights to do so. Even more so since the money is going to be poured back into the stadium. Besides, JR could argue he signed the lease extension in good faith with the understanding the money would be coming in to fix up the ballpark and thus (in theory) bring in more fans. I could understand them refusing to give him a loan based on the deal, but to tell him they won't finalize the deal seems legally and ethically questionable...

TornLabrum
02-15-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If by some fluke this deal did indeed end up getting refused, wouldn't JR have a legal recourse? I mean, you can't just refuse to allow the team to sell the naming rights if it is within their legal rights to do so. Even more so since the money is going to be poured back into the stadium. Besides, JR could argue he signed the lease extension in good faith with the understanding the money would be coming in to fix up the ballpark and thus (in theory) bring in more fans. I could understand them refusing to give him a loan based on the deal, but to tell him they won't finalize the deal seems legally and ethically questionable...

Has it occurred to anyone else besides me that perhaps the reason the stadium authority is hedging is simply because they have to have the deal presented to them before they rubber stamp it, and they don't want to sound as if it is a done deal before that time?

After all, these guys are supposed to represent the people of the State of Illinois. If they said they were in favor of it before they heard the facts, it would look like they are not doing their jobs.

U.S. Cellular Field is a done deal.

hold2dibber
02-16-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Has it occurred to anyone else besides me that perhaps the reason the stadium authority is hedging is simply because they have to have the deal presented to them before they rubber stamp it, and they don't want to sound as if it is a done deal before that time?

After all, these guys are supposed to represent the people of the State of Illinois. If they said they were in favor of it before they heard the facts, it would look like they are not doing their jobs.

U.S. Cellular Field is a done deal.

Here's my understanding: Because the US Cellular money is to be paid over time, the Sox will need to do a bond float or otherwise borrow money, secured by anticipated income from the U.S. Cellular deal, to renovate the stadium over the next couple of years. The ISFA wants to make sure that the Sox will be able to service the bond debt or otherwise pay off the loan, in the event that U.S. Cellular defaults.

hose
02-16-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Here's my understanding: Because the US Cellular money is to be paid over time, the Sox will need to do a bond float or otherwise borrow money, secured by anticipated income from the U.S. Cellular deal, to renovate the stadium over the next couple of years. The ISFA wants to make sure that the Sox will be able to service the bond debt or otherwise pay off the loan, in the event that U.S. Cellular defaults.

Dib you got it pegged.

Rosenblum wrote a piece about the "selling of money" by Reinsdorf in todays Tribune.

As much as Reinsdorf is put down for his ownership skills he is a MVP when it comes to money and real estate deals.

T Dog
02-16-2003, 07:53 AM
In any case, Lot B will always be the Comiskey Parking Lot.