PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wilbon

gogosoxgogo
02-12-2003, 04:42 PM
Hey, I like this guy! On PTI, he's wearing a 1919 Sox throwback jersey. Looking good! Anyone know if he's a Sox fan? This makes up for Kornheiser not knowing who Konerko is.

kevingrt
02-12-2003, 04:47 PM
He is from Chicago, but he doesn't really show his liking towards the Cubs or the Sox which is smart for a broadcaster to do. Really he doesn't show any bias towards any team and it's extremely tough to tell because he bad raps both teams equally. I would love to get to ask him the question though!

pearso66
02-12-2003, 04:54 PM
the other day he wore a gale sayers throwback, and yesterday he wore a kansas city monarchs jersey. id like to see what ones he has in his collection

Rocklive99
02-12-2003, 04:56 PM
I've heard him make fun of both Comiskey/US Cell and the Sox before (on PTI and Kornheiser's radio show), but I've heard him make fun of the Cubs team too. Who knows though, fans sometimes make fun of their team. All I really know about him is that he grew up in Chicago.

Jjav829
02-12-2003, 05:21 PM
Hes a big Cubs fan. I don't think he dislikes the Sox though.

Nixey 02
02-12-2003, 05:47 PM
Way back when (Dec. of '99), I asked Mike, via the Tony (Kornheiser) and Mike Chat Room (Washington Post), if he was a Sox fan or a Cub fan.

His response:

"This is complicated. I grew up in Chicago during the 60's and 70's at a time when ball players were not rich and lived in regular neighborhoods like mine. Players from both the Cubs and Sox -- Walt (No Neck) Williams, Billy Williams, Ernie Banks, they all lived in and around me. And Bill Melton was our little league Grand Marshall. Fergie Jenkins taught me how to grip some breaking pitch I shouldn't have been throwing. So, as you can see, I rooted for both teams...which I know makes me VERY rare."

then Tony chimed in:
"That story makes me puke. I am SO sick of that story. If Fergie Jenkins was here right now, I would hope he would punch Wilbon in the head."

the typist (Mary):
"I'm sitting in Wilbon's office as I do every week staring and typing to a picture of Jenkins."

Mike:
"One more thing...Tony is just pissed that he grew up in NY where..."

Tony:
"Where there were only three teams...not two..."

Mike:
"Where a ball player would just as soon as spit on a kid than teach him how to throw a curve ball."

Tony:
"It's not true, Yogi Berra used to come to my house with his wife Carmen and clean the house every week....(laughs)"

I'm thinking Wilbon is a bit more of a Cub fan... :o:

MetalliSox
02-12-2003, 07:28 PM
I watch PTI at work everyday. It's part of my routine.
I like Wilbon. He knows Chicago sports, past and present. Talks about the Bulls, Bears, Sox, Cubs, even Hawks when it comes up.
Wilbon knows his stuff. Kornheiser only talks about superstars and doesn't know about much more it seems sometimes.

The two have good chemistry on the show and I dig it. Good nation rep for Chicago sports in Wilbon.

Lip Man 1
02-12-2003, 07:47 PM
I spent four days around Mike in March 2001 at the NCAA Men's Baseketball Tournament in Boise.

He was out here because that year, four teams from the D.C. area were seeded in the West Region.

Nice guy, grew up in Chicago and went to St. Ignatius high school.

We spent quite a bit of time in the media room and he told me he's a Cub fan but doesn't hold a grudge against the Sox and respected what they have accomplished in their history.

When Skip Bayless left the Tribune to take that job in San Francisco, Mike told me he was offered the position. He eventually turned it down he said, because while he did want to come back to Chicago, he never cared much for the Tribune Company. (and in some of his columns, I have seen him rip them apart in print)

Lip

Thunderstruck30
02-12-2003, 08:13 PM
One time on PTI Wilbon said "Sox stink!!!!" He is a Cub fan but talks bad about their ownership all the time saying they are the worst owners in all of sports. I was surprised he was wearing that 1919 Sox jersey.

ChiSox14305635
02-12-2003, 09:07 PM
Wilbon's a Cubs fan, but he hates the Trib, nor does he dislike the Sox. On a couple of occasions, he's said that Frank needs to get it together. I can live with that, & it's such a pity that we get more dap on PTI than the assclown that represents Chicago on "Around the Horn". If Mariotti never wrote another column about Chicago sports, I wouldn't be the least bit disappointed. They need to get his ass off the show and replace him with either Telander or Carol Slezak. Then the Sox (or any Chicago team) might get a fair shake. :cool:

Lip Man 1
02-12-2003, 09:30 PM
Then the Sox (or any Chicago team) might get a fair shake.

The Sox as well as the other Chicago sports teams will get a fair shake when they deserve one, and that's probably not going to happen until circumstances force ownership changes.

Let's face it Reinsdorf, Wirtz, the senile McCaskey's and the Tribune Company aren't the smartest kids on the block are they?

Lip

LineShot
02-12-2003, 09:42 PM
I was watchin the show today...I believe Wilbon was wearing the 1919 jersey as a throwback to Joe Jackson. He was repeatedly pushing for Joe's reinstatement into MLB and the Hall of Fame.

ChiSox14305635
02-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Then the Sox (or any Chicago team) might get a fair shake.

The Sox as well as the other Chicago sports teams will get a fair shake when they deserve one, and that's probably not going to happen until circumstances force ownership changes.

Let's face it Reinsdorf, Wirtz, the senile McCaskey's and the Tribune Company aren't the smartest kids on the block are they?

Lip

Well I think it's a slap in the face to every Chicago sports fan that lives in this town and has to be represented on this show by this clod who finds one way or another to slam our teams (if you can't be part of the solution, don't be part of the problem). Have you ever read any of this guy's articles in the Sun-Times. His bandwagon jumping regarding Michael Jordan alone makes me want to puke. And whatever personal vedetta he has against Frank Thomas, I'd like to know. The man is always negative about this town, like Skip Bayless was for the Trib.