PDA

View Full Version : 1970 White Sox

Mammoo
02-12-2003, 05:35 PM
http://store1.yimg.com/I/mendys_1724_9316499

Yikes!!! 106 Losses!!!

baggio202
02-12-2003, 06:44 PM
was 9 years old....thats the year baseball really kicked in for me...gail hopkins , tommy mcgraw..hard to believe we lost that many games..lol

T Dog
02-12-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
Yikes!!! 106 Losses!!!

I still loved that team, despite the losses and the abuse I took from the front-running Cubs fans.

Although the team was regarded as the worst defensive squad in the league, two of the players were awarded Gold Gloves in the off season. The lineup had a future league leader in home runs and the pitching staff had a pitcher who would go on to multiple 20-win seasons for the Sox. Only two years later, the Sox came close to postponing the A's dynasty, after they traded their best pitcher for Dick Allen.

baggio202
02-12-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by T Dog
I still loved that team, despite the losses and the abuse I took from the front-running Cubs fans.

Although the team was regarded as the worst defensive squad in the league, two of the players were awarded Gold Gloves in the off season. The lineup had a future league leader in home runs and the pitching staff had a pitcher who would go on to multiple 20-win seasons for the Sox. Only two years later, the Sox came close to postponing the A's dynasty, after they traded their best pitcher for Dick Allen.

wasnt that the year where tommy mcgraw made 3 errors on either one play , or one inning???...he was a first baseman too..thats a hard thing to do..lol

jortafan
02-12-2003, 07:08 PM
All in all, I'm thankful I was too young to fully appreciate how bad the Sox were that season. The first season I can really remember being capable of understanding what was happening was 1972.

But that actually makes me wonder if some form of fate played a sick joke on me. You get a kid hooked on baseball and a certain team by tempting him with a pennant race and an awesome performance by Dick Allen. He thinks it's supposed to be that way every year. Even when he figures out it isn't, he's too hooked to switch.

Which is probably the same way some kid who was five or six in 2000 is going to feel, unless the Sox can pull something off this year.

idseer
02-12-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
All in all, I'm thankful I was too young to fully appreciate how bad the Sox were that season. The first season I can really remember being capable of understanding what was happening was 1972.

But that actually makes me wonder if some form of fate played a sick joke on me. You get a kid hooked on baseball and a certain team by tempting him with a pennant race and an awesome performance by Dick Allen. He thinks it's supposed to be that way every year. Even when he figures out it isn't, he's too hooked to switch.

Which is probably the same way some kid who was five or six in 2000 is going to feel, unless the Sox can pull something off this year.

i know it's the way for those from 1959! :(:

guillen4life13
02-12-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by jortafan

im ur proof. sorry bout typing like this... sprained finger and eating banana. in 2k i got hooked because of their awesome season, and since then i've been hooked.

Lip Man 1
02-12-2003, 08:52 PM
The February WSI Interview which will be up in a few weeks is with a player who was on the 1968 and 1969 club that preceeded the 1970 one.

He talks about how bad those teams were and some of the things that happened.

Some good DID come out of that season though, the Sox management decided things were so bad they needed new blood from outside the organization. Ergo Chuck Tanner and Roland Hemond.

Lip

SI1020
02-12-2003, 09:01 PM
Syd O'Brien! Jerry Janeski! What a "reward" to Don Gutteridge for all his faithful years of service. It was only three years removed from the end of the Go Go era. The Sox only drew 495000 that year IIRC.

HITMEN OF 77
02-12-2003, 09:43 PM
In my opinion they had the best uniforms of all the Sox teams '68-'70. Any idea where you can get one of those old uniformes of those years?

baggio202
02-12-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
In my opinion they had the best uniforms of all the Sox teams '68-'70. Any idea where you can get one of those old uniformes of those years?

the sox were selling those complete unis at soxfest in their garage sale for 200 bucks...probably get one at this years garage sale

Tragg
02-12-2003, 10:30 PM
The 1970 Sox was easily the worst Sox team since I began following in 1967.
However, the 1971 and 1972 teams (along with the 1990 and 1967 teams) were easily the most enjoyable non-playoff teams I saw.

Lip Man 1
02-12-2003, 10:37 PM
Let's not forget such 1970 "immortals" as:

John "Pineapple" Matias
Charles "Buddy" Bradford
Duane Josephson (now deceased)
Virle "The Pearl" Rounsaville
Barry Moore
Jerry Arrigo
Danny Murphy
Lee Stange

Oddly enough the 1970 Sox were 4th in the league in hitting but dead last in piching and next to last in fielding.

Hmmmmm, sort of reminds me of most seasons since 1995!

Lip

baggio202
02-12-2003, 11:02 PM
i was checking out the pitchers from that season at baseball reference...my god.....they ran 21 pitchers to the bump that year...9 never pitched again in the majors , 3 more were done after 71...3 more after 72...only 4 pitchers , john ,johnson ,miller and wood pitched atleast 4 more years after '70..

those guys sucked bigtime

Procol Harum
02-12-2003, 11:07 PM
Man, that was a dreadful team!! Easily the worst Sox team I ever saw. One fun memory from that year--catcher Ed Herrmann's "Big White Machine." That, of course was the year in which the Cincy Reds with Bench, Rose, Perez, et al, were absolutely laying waste to the NL and were dubbed "The Big Red Machine." Herrmann apparently liked to tinker w/ cars and got hold of this old jalopy and painted it white--after every home victory (and at 56-106 you can imagine how rare an occurrence that was) one of the groundscrew would circle the field in the BMW--too funny! Hard to imagine ol' Sourpuss Reinsdorf or KW allowing something like that..... :)

PaleHoseGeorge
02-12-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Man, that was a dreadful team!! Easily the worst Sox team I ever saw. One fun memory from that year--catcher Ed Herrmann's "Big White Machine." That, of course was the year in which the Cincy Reds with Bench, Rose, Perez, et al, were absolutely laying waste to the NL and were dubbed "The Big Red Machine." Herrmann apparently liked to tinker w/ cars and got hold of this old jalopy and painted it white--after every home victory (and at 56-106 you can imagine how rare an occurrence that was) one of the groundscrew would circle the field in the BMW--too funny! Hard to imagine ol' Sourpuss Reinsdorf or KW allowing something like that..... :)

I wonder what ever happened to The Big White Machine. I swear to God, Gallas ought to do a Sox Nostalgia Night and bring back the BWM, the Soxettes, Ribbie & Roobarb (complete with the trike motor bike), and maybe some astro-turf (infield only, of course). :smile:

:gallas
"You idiot. Do you know how many backyard patios I would have to salvage that astro-turf from? You can furgettaboutit!"

Bmr31
02-13-2003, 01:41 AM
Hey does anyone know where i can get an excellent book on the history of the whitesox?

EnricoPallazzo
02-13-2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Hey does anyone know where i can get an excellent book on the history of the whitesox?

"Minnie and the Mick" is a record of the Sox / Yankees rivalry between 1951 and 1964, the go go Sox years. It has a summary of the Most Glorious Victory and Most Devastating Defeat for each season, full rosters of both teams for each year, fights, etc.

Author: Bob Vanderberg
Published by: Diamond Communications Inc.
P.O. Box 88
South Bend, In. 46624
219 299-9278 or 800 480-3717

This is from 1996 so I don't know if they still exist or if they can get you a copy, but it's a great book to have around the house.

Mammoo
02-13-2003, 04:04 AM
You guys are right about the hitting and pitching. It seemed like they could hit the ball, but when you look at the collection of pitchers they ran out there, it's scary.

Joel Horlen was used up, Tommy John and Wilbur Wood were underachievers and the rest were cannon fodder for the AL.

Like somebody said, the organization turned things around a few years later and battled Oakland for the division. Too bad we had to look at those ugly red uniforms in the process!!!

Paulwny
02-13-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by SI1020
Syd O'Brien! Jerry Janeski! What a "reward" to Don Gutteridge for all his faithful years of service. It was only three years removed from the end of the Go Go era. The Sox only drew 495000 that year IIRC.

Jerry Janeski on his 1st ml victory " the crowd was so small, I wasn't nervous".

hose
02-13-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31

The White Sox Encyclopedia by Richard C. Lindberg

This book is about as good as it gets on White Sox history up to 1996.

PHG and some of the other WSI forum members have made references to the author and the book.

The book isn't cheap, about $60.00, but then it's White Sox history which is priceless.

moochpuppy
02-13-2003, 10:07 AM
Sorry guys, I don't remember much at all about this team. I was still busy swimming around looking for an egg.

:o:

Dan H
02-13-2003, 10:19 AM
1970 had to be one of the big lows in White Sox history. Arthur Allyn had installed astro turf in the infield to help grouind balls become singles and erected a little league type fence in front of the old wall to induce homeruns. Comsikey looked awful and run down, and there was still an after glow of the 1969 Cubs. The only thing that came close to saving that season was Bill Melton becoming the first Sox player to hit 30 homers in a season. He did it on a weekday afternoon in front of a little more than 600 fans. The team was headed toward nowhere, and the ownership finally realized it had to rid themselves of GM Ed Short. Roland Hemond turned the franchise around quickly. If people think the White Sox have troubles now, they should remember this team. There was almost nothing left to the franchise.

hose
02-13-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
1970 had to be one of the big lows in White Sox history. Arthur Allyn had installed astro turf in the infield to help grouind balls become singles and erected a little league type fence in front of the old wall to induce homeruns. Comsikey looked awful and run down, and there was still an after glow of the 1969 Cubs. The only thing that came close to saving that season was Bill Melton becoming the first Sox player to hit 30 homers in a season. He did it on a weekday afternoon in front of a little more than 600 fans. The team was headed toward nowhere, and the ownership finally realized it had to rid themselves of GM Ed Short. Roland Hemond turned the franchise around quickly. If people think the White Sox have troubles now, they should remember this team. There was almost nothing left to the franchise.

One thing that I remember from the 1970 season is the home opener, which the Sox lost to Minnesota 12-0.

The newspaper had a photo of Little Louie at home plate looking down to the third base coach for a sign.

The third base coach had his arm extended and his finger pointing to the left field upper deck.

T Dog
02-13-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I wonder what ever happened to The Big White Machine

Ed Herrmann took it home with him. He lives in San Diego now. I saw him in January and talked with him about 1970, but I forgot to ask about the fate of the Big White Machine.

He did tell me, though, that the 1970 Sox had great chemistry.

Dick Allen
02-13-2003, 11:58 AM
I actually remember seeing some very entertaining games that year from the first row of the left field upper deck - always a lot of room to roam up there. I'll never forget when Tommy McCraw, playing CF, ran into the fence catching a ball at the same time, and then dropping it over the fence for a HR.

T Dog
02-13-2003, 12:18 PM
The best games that season were against the Red Sox. On May 31 in Fenway, the Bosox started Gary Peters, and the Chisox scored a 22-13 win. I believe middle reliever Floyd Weaver earned his only major league win.

In August, when I was in Colorado on a family vacation, the Chisox trailed the Bosox in a Fenway 9th, 5-2, and scored 11 runs, with pinch-hitter Looie Aparicio getting two hits. Wilbur Wood, the winning pitcher, got a double. A week later, though the Bosox had no trouble holding a 5-2 lead in Comiskey.

There was also a 20-10 loss to the Bosox in Comiskey as part of a doubleheader sweep.

CiscoCarlos
02-13-2003, 12:42 PM
I just read Don Gutteridge's autobiography which was released late last year. His comment was he didn't want to manage the White Sox, but got "forced into it."

"Al Lopez' health forced him to step during as Sox manager during the 69 season. Lopez came to the four coaches and said `I want one of you four to take over managing the club for me.

"I don't want it," I said, "I'm a coach."

"Everyone else said they were too old. Finally, Tony Cuccinello said, "Gutteridge, you're the youngest and you can stand it beter than we can.

"Again, I said, "No, no!"

Finally they convinced him (pointing out out all would be out of jobs as coaches).

Gutteridge also noted baseball was changing and that he was from the old school.

baggio202
02-13-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by CiscoCarlos
I just read Don Gutteridge's autobiography which was released late last year. His comment was he didn't want to manage the White Sox, but got "forced into it."

"Al Lopez' health forced him to step during as Sox manager during the 69 season. Lopez came to the four coaches and said `I want one of you four to take over managing the club for me.

"I don't want it," I said, "I'm a coach."

"Everyone else said they were too old. Finally, Tony Cuccinello said, "Gutteridge, you're the youngest and you can stand it beter than we can.

"Again, I said, "No, no!"

Finally they convinced him (pointing out out all would be out of jobs as coaches).

Gutteridge also noted baseball was changing and that he was from the old school.

hahahaha..thats funny....you the youngest..you can stand it better than we can...*****...you know your screwed when that happens

Lip Man 1
02-13-2003, 01:05 PM
T-Dog:

If you know Ed Herrmann please tell him about WSI and the WSI interviews.

I'd love to contact Ed to see if he'd like to do one. Please feel free to give him my information, perhaps Ed can contact me about it and we can set something up where I can call him.

mliptak1@ida.net

208-237-9217

Lip

Juan Pizarro
02-13-2003, 01:17 PM
Um. gang, Quickdraw was "McGraw."
Tommy was "McCraw"!
I too loved those blue unis.
The worst was having the Cubs on Channel 9 all the time and having to watch the Sox through the snow on WFLD.

Nellie_Fox
02-13-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro
I too loved those blue unis. I never cease to be amazed at this site. Those uniforms not only represented the worst team ever, but were Cubbie blue. I hated them and everything they stood for.

I spent 1970 in Viet Nam. That was preferable to watching them lose 106 games.

Procol Harum
02-13-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by CiscoCarlos
I just read Don Gutteridge's autobiography which was released late last year.

The ol' Cracker learns something new everytime he pops into WSI--Don Gutteridge has written an autobiography !? :?:

Tragg
02-14-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Let's not forget such 1970 "immortals" as:

John "Pineapple" Matias
Charles "Buddy" Bradford
Duane Josephson (now deceased)
Virle "The Pearl" Rounsaville
Barry Moore
Jerry Arrigo
Danny Murphy
Lee Stange

Oddly enough the 1970 Sox were 4th in the league in hitting but dead last in piching and next to last in fielding.

Hmmmmm, sort of reminds me of most seasons since 1995!

Lip

You forgot the best of all: Sid O'Brien. He must have dropped 10 pop-ups during the season.

Lip Man 1
02-14-2003, 01:15 AM
I didn't mention Syd because he was already mentioned earlier in this thread.

Lip

HITMEN OF 77
02-14-2003, 02:42 AM
How can I get one of those 68-70 uniforms at the garage sale? Do they have an online garage sale?

Mammoo
02-17-2003, 12:46 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/uniforms69.jpg