PDA

View Full Version : Re-hash from yesterday: Closers

Joel Perez
08-14-2001, 08:17 AM
Just thinking about something, and somebody already said this yesterday--so props to you whoever you are.

If the Sox want to consider a future closer, someone with enough cheese and offspeed arsenal to keep hitters off-bay, why not start to groom :kipper ?

He has a 94 MPH fastball, his curve is good, changeup needs a little refining, and his slider is good as well.

Since he looks like he's an awesome reliever, and also (so far at least) he can't pull his weight in the starting rotation, why not consider him?

Also, the Sox should seriously keep :wright in the rotation. He's too damn good to be laboring in the pen.

Randar68
08-14-2001, 08:59 AM
Also, the Sox should seriously keep Danny Wright in the rotation. He's too damn good to be laboring in the pen

Well, I honestly haven't heard too much about it from the Sox management as of late. In College and to a lesser extent last season, he had very poor control. However, he has refined his mechanics and has now consistently thrown strikes all year. I think his first 2 outings were the abberation, and you will see a lot more 0-3 BB outings than not from here on out ...

Most of that talk was being drummed up last season, and references in the media to those rumors are references to rumors and quotes that flew around from the Sox scouting department last fall....

Joel Perez
08-14-2001, 09:06 AM
Danny's record at the U of Arkansas was like 2-15 in his last college year, and the Sox picked him in the top 3 rounds. It made me wonder at the time "Why bother?"

I'm glad they're scouts and I'm not. They must've saw something in DW that at least I didn't.

Randar68
08-14-2001, 09:15 AM
Danny's record at the U of Arkansas was like 2-15 in his last college year, and the Sox picked him in the top 3 rounds. It made me wonder at the time "Why bother?"

Well, he always had amazing stuff and a good fastball. He was durable and could go deep in games. Also, he had a breakdown while at Arkansas, and some people I have seen post on the troll board who supposedly knew him or some of his friends while at Arkansas said he was quite the loose cannon and very unstable at times....

Soxboyrob
08-14-2001, 09:37 AM
Is there anything else on this topic about which you can expound, Randars? I'm curious about why he was so hittable. What have you heard is the difference w/ him now, as opposed to then? Is it strictly mental? It had to probably have been more than mental because even a loose cannon w/ his talent should be able to go .500 in college. What kind of breakdown did he suffer? I like the looks and poise of this guy so far and am hoping that he's not going to playing his career on a flimsy pier.

Randar68
08-14-2001, 09:49 AM
Is there anything else on this topic about which you can expound, Randars? I'm curious about why he was so hittable. What have you heard is the difference w/ him now, as opposed to then? Is it strictly mental? It had to probably have been more than mental because even a loose cannon w/ his talent should be able to go .500 in college. What kind of breakdown did he suffer? I like the looks and poise of this guy so far and am hoping that he's not going to playing his career on a flimsy pier.

Well, the thing I have have read from people with supposed first-hand contact with him, was that he:
1) Lived the college life up and didn't take it too seriously
2) Was a mental wreck with emotions and swings
3) Was always preoccupied

As far as scouting reports and info on why he went 2-15:
1) He walked a ton!
2) 2-pitch pitcher and had trouble throwing either pitch for strikes
3) Never was very confident on the mound (Kip Wells disease, try to paint the corners until he has 3 balls, then throw cookies)

He has learned to trust his stuff and go out and challenge the hitters. That has been the single most important change in him. The Sox brought him along slowly and it has paid off. His confidence has blossomed each year, and he will only improve and will become dominant if he can improve his change-up throw it consistently for strikes (should help being on a staff with Buehrle and Foulke)

Soxboyrob
08-14-2001, 09:58 AM
The scary thing about this guy is that it sounds like it might not take too much to set him off and send him into a downward spiral. Maybe Jerry's constant babying of his starters and monitoring of pitch counts will actually pay off in this instant. As long as he keeps taking no-hitter type stuff to the mound, he ought to be able to keep his confidence in check. I hope, anyway.

Randar68
08-14-2001, 10:06 AM
The scary thing about this guy is that it sounds like it might not take too much to set him off and send him into a downward spiral. Maybe Jerry's constant babying of his starters and monitoring of pitch counts will actually pay off in this instant. As long as he keeps taking no-hitter type stuff to the mound, he ought to be able to keep his confidence in check. I hope, anyway.

Well, maturity, and atmosphere, as well as the people he surrounds himself with are probably as important a factor as any. I have no solid evidence other than word-of-mouth and his struggles despite the talent, to expand further upon his stability or the degree to which he was 'unstable', if that's the right word.

I think he will be fine. He has had rough goes of it and has been a very tough-luck pitcher in the minors as seen by his poor W-L record despite the #'s....