PDA

View Full Version : Sox are THISCLOSE to Contention...Why Isnt Reinsdorf Going For It $$$-wise?

Hangar18
02-12-2003, 08:00 AM
Its very clear that once the Sox by the All-Star Break see they need help, theyre going to have to OVERPAY to get that 2nd Pitcher everyone knows they need. and more Speed at the top of the lineup

hold2dibber
02-12-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Its very clear that once the Sox by the All-Star Break see they need help, theyre going to have to OVERPAY to get that 2nd Pitcher everyone knows they need. and more Speed at the top of the lineup

It's easy to say this, but harder to implement. First of all, who is available that would meet these perceived needs? If by a 2nd pitcher, you mean a no. 4 or 5 starter, Rogers is still out there (although, apparently, the Sox are not willing to put big $ on the table for him - and I can't say I think he's worth big $). I'm not sure who else would fit the bill. As to speed at the top of the lineup, presumably you're talking about finding someone to supplant Rowand or Jimenez. I don't think there are any free agents out there who would represent an improvement over those guys at 2B or CF. I don't know who's available in trade at those positions either - and in particular who would be available without having to give up anyone that the Sox need to contribute this year. I'm not making excuses - I still think the Sox should have made a push to sign Maddux and possibly Steve Finley. But as things stand right now, I just don't think there are a lot of feasable alternatives to improve the team.

ChiSoxKid
02-12-2003, 09:36 AM
Good point...Hangar, who would you advocate the Sox pick up today that satisfies their needs? I think sometimes as Sox fans we are conditioned to be blaming someone at all times for the shortcomings of our team. Right now it is not that JR is not ponying up for what the team needs; it is more that there is nothing out there that really fits.

Hullett_Fan
02-12-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by ChiSoxKid
Right now it is not that JR is not ponying up for what the team needs; it is more that there is nothing out there that really fits.

Exactly...there is nothing out there now, and there might quite possibly be a ton available once teams decide they're out of contention. A lot of guys are FAs after this season so losing teams will be eager to dump them...and we have the minor league talent to offer. IMO if the Sox are serious contenders then Uncle Jerry will do what it takes. I don't know why I think this now...when history tells me that it is very unlikely....but we got Colon and I've heard positive things from management for the 1st time since '81.

A.T. Money
02-12-2003, 09:46 AM
Why couldn't we have gotten an owner like Steinbrenner?

Hangar18
02-12-2003, 09:48 AM
well, that is also a good point. However, I see other teams readily filling their needs either at the All-Star Break (overpaying often) or in the OffSeason. Last time the sox were smart, and went out and filled a Glaring Need, was in 93 off season. Went to Playoffs and were "one batter short". they got Franco if im not mistaken, and they Kicked Butt the next year with him.
they had no holes then, that I could see.
My point, is that Teams like the Braves, Yankees fill Holes they need when they arise. If we want to be like them,,,,,I think its high time the Sox started ACTING like them.

Hullett_Fan
02-12-2003, 09:57 AM
We just picked up the best available pitcher next to Maddux and maybe Millwood. As for the only other hole (CF)....I think there will be better options available during the season.

:reinsy

"Give me a break, it was only two months ago that I came to the realization that acquiring talent might help us win and winning might bring you lousy fans out to the ballpark!"

Hangar18
02-12-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
We just picked up the best available pitcher next to Maddux and maybe Millwood. As for the only other hole (CF)....I think there will be better options available during the season.

:reinsy

"Give me a break, it was only two months ago that I came to the realization that acquiring talent might help us win and winning might bring you lousy fans out to the ballpark!"

I hope so Hulett. I hope so. im sick of no World Series around these parts.

NewyorkSoxFan
02-12-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
It's easy to say this, but harder to implement. First of all, who is available that would meet these perceived needs? If by a 2nd pitcher, you mean a no. 4 or 5 starter, Rogers is still out there (although, apparently, the Sox are not willing to put big $ on the table for him - and I can't say I think he's worth big $). I'm not sure who else would fit the bill. As to speed at the top of the lineup, presumably you're talking about finding someone to supplant Rowand or Jimenez. I don't think there are any free agents out there who would represent an improvement over those guys at 2B or CF. I don't know who's available in trade at those positions either - and in particular who would be available without having to give up anyone that the Sox need to contribute this year. I'm not making excuses - I still think the Sox should have made a push to sign Maddux and possibly Steve Finley. But as things stand right now, I just don't think there are a lot of feasable alternatives to improve the team.

I agree with Dibber I know we all feel like we need to strike while the iron is hot, but really we are reaching a point where everything left is sludge. Filling our roster with journeyman veterans is not the way to get to the WS. I think KW is being smart if he knows that the team has some holes, but by waiting to see what will be available at the deadline.

Vasquez, Vlad, Tejada, just to name a few could be available at the mid point of the year, and an acquisiton like that could change the balance of power in the AL.

So personally I would prefer we stand pat and prepare to really get the guy that could be a difference maker in the playoffs than some aging vet who is past his prime and unable to really help our team.

Of course this is all moot if KW and JR are satisfied already and are just looking to win the division as usual.

NYSF

34 Inch Stick
02-12-2003, 10:57 AM
As far as overpaying the closer you get to the trading deadline, not all GM's overpay for talent that they desperately need. The A's have acquired all star caliber players the last two years and have given up nothing. I would love to have a proven center fielder/leadoff hitter. Maybe Beltran will be available after the All Star break.

soxtalker
02-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
As far as overpaying the closer you get to the trading deadline, not all GM's overpay for talent that they desperately need. The A's have acquired all star caliber players the last two years and have given up nothing. I would love to have a proven center fielder/leadoff hitter. Maybe Beltran will be available after the All Star break.

I agree. I think that KW has shown from the very beginning that he can spend money (well, not at the NYY level). It is more of a question of making smart moves. (Again, the NYY can spend at a level to cover up mistakes.) I have never been a KW fan, but he seems to be showing signs of learning. If that's true, maybe we can avoid the problem of overpaying during the season. And I think that it is very unlikely that we'll go through the season without needing to make some trade.

kevingrt
02-12-2003, 04:45 PM
Kenny Williams as seen in the past few years isn't shy about trading guys. He sometimes even seems a little to trigger happy. As SoxTalker explained, it's how smart the move is which is more important and which has seemed to been lost in this equation. I'd rather have a general manager that makes one smart move over a year rather then a manager that makes two stupid moves and one smart move per year. Quality over Quantity, ALWAYS REMEMBER!

bc2k
02-12-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Our biggest hole may differ between February 12 and July 12. Someone might get hurt, someone might become ineffective. I would rather wait and overpay for a needed player, than to get fair market value on a guy who won't fill our most glaring playoff need.

basilesox
02-13-2003, 04:08 AM
I hear everybody moan about sox management again and again. We may not have the best management (ownership) but we certainly dont have the worst. The White Sox gave up alot for Colon and also spent a ton of money on Koch (the verdict is still out on that deal), and at least we haven;t let one of our big names walk away yet. Imagine being a royal fan and watching Johnny Damon, Jermaine Dye and their best pitcher (Paul Byrd) walk away in the last few years. Honestly, if Ordonez, Konerko, and Beuhrle were all gone in 2005. Then we would have something to start crying about.