PDA

View Full Version : Your best memory?

Bmr31
02-11-2003, 07:33 PM
Everyone.........what is your all time top Sports memory? It can be from a Chicago team or player, or any team or player. It can be recent memory or distant memory. I am interested. My best sports memory is being at the game 4 of the Bulls/pistons in 1990, in Detroit, when the Bulls swept the pistons.

gogosoxgogo
02-11-2003, 07:34 PM
----> Parking Lot?

Bmr31
02-11-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
----> Parking Lot?

Maybe, but i am assuming most responses will be sox related.

voodoochile
02-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Maybe, but i am assuming most responses will be sox related.

Yeah, because compared to the 1980's Bears and the 1990's Bulls, the Sox have way more quality moments to remember...

Going to let this one sit for a while to see how it goes, but my memory is definitely one for the PL forum...

In 1985 me and my buddy got our Bears' season tickets for the first time. After going undefeated in the regular season at home, the Bears rolled through the playoffs becoming the only team in NFL history to shutout their two playoff opponents to reach the Super Bowl. Late in the third quarter, Dennis McKinnon caught the decisive TD pass on a slant that was a huddle audible by McMahon who didn't want to run Ditka's draw on second and long. It was in "our" endzone and I remember standing up and screaming "We're going to the Super Bowl!" Shortly thereafter it started to snow and the fans started cheering. What a day...

BTW, I think you mean 1991. The Bulls lost in 7 games to the pistons in 1990...

Bmr31
02-11-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Yeah, because compared to the 1980's Bears and the 1990's Bulls, the Sox have way more quality moments to remember...

Going to let this one sit for a while to see how it goes, but my memory is definitely one for the PL forum...

In 1985 me and my buddy got our Bears' season tickets for the first time. After going undefeated in the regular season at home, the Bears rolled through the playoffs becoming the only team in NFL history to shutout their two playoff opponents to reach the Super Bowl. Late in the third quarter, Dennis McKinnon caught the decisive TD pass on a slant that was a huddle audible by McMahon who didn't want to run Ditka's draw on second and long. It was in "our" endzone and I remember standing up and screaming "We're going to the Super Bowl!" Shortly thereafter it started to snow and the fans started cheering. What a day...

BTW, I think you mean 1991. The Bulls lost in 7 games to the pistons in 1990...

Yeah i guess i meant the 1990-91 season. I can tell ya my worst memory and that was in 1983, sitting in the stands watching the sox blow the last game of the playoffs..... :whiner:

Mammoo
02-11-2003, 09:04 PM
Summer of 1972:

My pregnant wife and I were sitting in the lower boxes behind the Sox dugout when Dick Allen launches a screaming line drive into the bullpen for a home run against the Yankees. When the "the Monster" exploded in center field, my soon to be born son literally jumped for joy in my wife's womb!

hose
02-11-2003, 09:09 PM
1988 LA Coliseum Notre Dame vs. USC

I had tickets near the 10 yard line and the row was close to the field.

ND quarterback Tony Rice races down the side line to score a pivotal touch down.

The run was right in front of me and to this day I can still replay it my mind.

Notre Dame beat USC that day and went on to win the mythical National Championship .

WinningUgly!
02-11-2003, 09:26 PM
1) Super Bowl XX
2) 1993 NCAA Championship game...watching Derrick Phelps & George Lynch swarming Chris Webber...forcing him into calling the TO he didn't have & sealing the victory.

Hopefully the 2003 Sox bump these 2 down a notch. :)

WhiteSoxWinner
02-11-2003, 09:29 PM
I would have to say the 1993 clinching over the Mariners. Never forget Bo Jackson's rainbow homer that just dropped over the fence and made the difference in the game. The second game of the Sunday doubleheader against Texas is the only time I have ever rooted AGAINST the White Sox. I knew I had tickets for the game on Monday and wanted to be there for the clinching. Worked out well for me!!!

idseer
02-11-2003, 09:31 PM
one of my favorite memories was late 60's sitting in the right field bleachers about midway up lower deck with my best friend who i played a LOT of APBA baseball with. gary peters was at the plate and my friend asked me what he would do. i said he's going to hit a homerun right to me. it ended up caught by a guy 3 rows directly in front of us.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-11-2003, 09:35 PM
I hope you don't mind breaking this into two categories: regular season and post-season.

Favorite Post-season Memory.
Lots of these. Watching the 1986 Super Bowl is the obvious choice that immediately springs to mind. However, on more careful reflection, I have to vote for the first Bulls championship in June, 1991. Mrs. PHG and I were living in a highrise in the South Loop. The entire building just started screaming all at once and cars started honking all through the neighborhood. There was a huge traffic jam that formed beneath our condo along State Street. Mrs. PHG baked brownies for the Chicago cop directing traffic on our block. It was a very memorable event!

Favorite Regular-Season Memory.
This one is easy. That unforgettable seven-day road trip where the Sox swept the Indians and Yankees in June, 2000. That Sunday game where the Sox beat the daylights out of El Duque to sweep New York in Yankee Stadium, then came home on Monday and got a standing ovation from a packed Comiskey Park. We were sitting right behind the Sox dugout. Jesse Jackson was in the next section wearing a Sox cap. I have fonder memories of that week of Sox games than any they've ever played--including the playoff games in 1983, 1993, and 2000.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-11-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

This one is easy. That unforgettable seven-day road trip where the Sox swept the Indians and Yankees in June, 2000. That Sunday game where the Sox beat the daylights out of El Duque to sweep New York in Yankee Stadium, then came home on Monday and got a standing ovation from a packed Comiskey Park. We were sitting right behind the Sox dugout. Jesse Jackson was in the next section wearing a Sox cap. I have fonder memories of that week of Sox games than any they've ever played--including the playoff games in 1983, 1993, and 2000.

On a related note, here is my favorite Totally Biased Game Recap of all time.

NY Times: "Sox Best Team in Baseball" (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?id=80&category=4)

whitesoxwilkes
02-11-2003, 09:51 PM
Neither of these involve the Sox, but I was present at both of them and they were quite memorable:

1) Joe Carter's World Series winning HR in 1993

2) The Buffalo Bills come back from a 35-3 deficit in the 3rd quarter to knock off the Houston Oilers in 1992. Most of the crowd had already headed for home but my dad and I stuck it out and witnessed the impossible.

Bmr31
02-11-2003, 10:06 PM
I hope you don't mind breaking this into two categories: regular season and post-season.

Favorite Post-season Memory.
Lots of these. Watching the 1986 Super Bowl is the obvious choice that immediately springs to mind. However, on more careful reflection, I have to vote for the first Bulls championship in June, 1991. Mrs. PHG and I were living in a highrise in the South Loop. The entire building just started screaming all at once and cars started honking all through the neighborhood. There was a huge traffic jam that formed beneath our condo along State Street. Mrs. PHG baked brownies for the Chicago cop directing traffic on our block. It was a very memorable event!

Speaking of those 3 sox playoff teams, which of the 3 do you feel was the best?

voodoochile
02-11-2003, 11:49 PM

Ah I remember those games. I was at that Monday night game too, sitting about section 143 or so (Just past 3rd base) in the LD-box wheelchair section (yes, my friend really does use a scooter). Sox beat Bartolo that evening, and the fans gave the Sox a standing ovation at the start of the game, which was so spontaneous and complete that it was hard to tell where it started. It really just looked like the whole park stood up and started clapping. It was very magical. It was shortly after that night that many of us defected from the troll infested ESPN board and came to make WSI our home. So in many ways, this community started because of those games also - which established the Sox in first place and caused the euphoria felt and expressed to jump dramatically and the troll wars to escalate (yes, we definitely gave as good as we got that summer - just ask UncleCar :D: ). When we could no longer stand it any longer, I think it was FWC who went looking, but maybe it was IAC (If I'm wrong and the real person is still around, feel free to correct me, it isn't an intentional slight) and they came back with WSI. The rest (as they say) is Internet history...

I'd like to add in another memory. This past January 3rd, my first sports love won the first national championship that I can remember (I was 5 the last time it happened). It was even more special, because the OSU Buckeyes were the only sports team my father was passionate about - we always watched the OSU-TTUN games together. He passed away in 1999, but I watched many of the games with his wife and my best friend - my Bears' season ticket partner and also a diehard Buckeye fan. When that final pass hit the ground incomplete, a lifetime of waiting finally came to fruition. I knew people would be ragging on the interference call at the end of OT #1, but I didn't care. A great game was made all the greater by the feeling it left in my heart. That one was for you, Dad...

fuzzy_patters
02-12-2003, 12:25 AM
1) I'll never forget watching ND upset #1 ranked my Miami 31-30 from my grandmother's living room. I was ten years old, and big sports moments are always more magical when you are a child.

2)Kip Wells outduals Bartolo Colon 2-0 in the famous standing room only game. I sat in the front of the LDR in right field, and I remember that I began chanting "Halle, Halle" at David Justice during the bottom of the first. The next thing I know the guys below us in the Bullpen Sports Bar joined in. By the third inning the whole right field section was all chanting in unison, much to the obvious chagrin of Justice. Meanwhile, my father, at home listening on the radio, heard Rooney and Farmer mention it, and he told me about it after the game. Good lord that was fun! Kind of makes you miss Herbert and Kip, doesn't it? :whiner:

3)In 1999 my Dad and I went to a Thursday afternoon game between the Sox and Royals. With the Sox trailing by 2 in the bottom heading into the bottom half of the ninth, Jeff Montgomery was warming up in the Sox bullpen. I was seated in the corner of our section where I was closest to the Kansas City bullpen. I turned to my Dad and yelled, "Hey Dad, Montgomery is warming up. Remember when he used to be good? I sure don't." Just then, Montgomery stopped pitching and started giving me the evil eye. At that point, Tom Pagnozzi tapped him on the shoulder telling him it was time to pitch. Montgomery preceded to walk the bases loaded before giving up a bases clearing double to Magglio Ordonez, winning it for the Sox. I like to think I played a small part in that win. :D:

Bmr31
02-12-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
1) I'll never forget watching ND upset #1 ranked my Miami 31-30 from my grandmother's living room. I was ten years old, and big sports moments are always more magical when you are a child.

2)Kip Wells outduals Bartolo Colon 2-0 in the famous standing room only game. I sat in the front of the LDR in right field, and I remember that I began chanting "Halle, Halle" at David Justice during the bottom of the first. The next thing I know the guys below us in the Bullpen Sports Bar joined in. By the third inning the whole right field section was all chanting in unison, much to the obvious chagrin of Justice. Meanwhile, my father, at home listening on the radio, heard Rooney and Farmer mention it, and he told me about it after the game. Good lord that was fun! Kind of makes you miss Herbert and Kip, doesn't it? :whiner:

3)In 1999 my Dad and I went to a Thursday afternoon game between the Sox and Royals. With the Sox trailing by 2 in the bottom heading into the bottom half of the ninth, Jeff Montgomery was warming up in the Sox bullpen. I was seated in the corner of our section where I was closest to the Kansas City bullpen. I turned to my Dad and yelled, "Hey Dad, Montgomery is warming up. Remember when he used to be good? I sure don't." Just then, Montgomery stopped pitching and started giving me the evil eye. At that point, Tom Pagnozzi tapped him on the shoulder telling him it was time to pitch. Montgomery preceded to walk the bases loaded before giving up a bases clearing double to Magglio Ordonez, winning it for the Sox. I like to think I played a small part in that win. :D:

Get this man season tickets.... :D:

jeremyb1
02-12-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Get this man season tickets.... :D:

hmm. favorite sports moment of all time would probably be related to one of the bulls championships but i don't know which one. possibly the final one. if we were going to go on a single game i might say the game during the fifth champion ship where jordan had an amazing game despite having food poisoning and had to be supported by pippen at the end of the game.

favorite sox moment should probably be related to '93 or '00. clinching in '93 was pretty memorable. i don't know what you'd choose from '00. the second half was downhill and then we were swept in the playoffs. quite possibly the brawl against the tigers. i really felt great about the team after that. you knew there was something special after the way guys got behind each other.

also, one of my favorite sox moments would have to be garland's call up in '00. i don't think i've ever been more exicted about a regular season game. even if the outcome wasn't all that great it was really incredible to have a 20 year old - the second youngest pitcher in the game behind ankiel and i believe third over all behind ankiel and beltran - pitching for us.

kermittheefrog
02-12-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
also, one of my favorite sox moments would have to be garland's call up in '00. i don't think i've ever been more exicted about a regular season game. even if the outcome wasn't all that great it was really incredible to have a 20 year old - the second youngest pitcher in the game behind ankiel and i believe third over all behind ankiel and beltran - pitching for us.

I remember that pretty well. At the time he was actually the youngest player in baseball. He is a few months younger than Ankiel. He was recognized as the second youngest because people still believed Rafael Furcal's birth certificate back then. Garland got beaten up by the Royals on the road. Then came home to smoke the Brewers.

That year was pretty memorable. In addition to winning 96 games. We saw Garland, Buehrle, Biddle and Barcelo for the first time. That was Wunsch's magic year. Baldwin, Sirotka and Parque all had their best years. Cal Eldred was good for the first time since 1994. The only one of those vets who has been close to healthy since then is Baldwin and he hasn't been the same since shoulder surgery. Too bad.

baggio202
02-12-2003, 06:53 AM
imo...there is one great sports moment that is head and shoulders above the rest...this moment will never, ever be passed for its significance in sports and history in general..it also finished with the most memeorable quote by an announcer ever

"do you believe in miracles???....YES"

nothing will ever compare to the feeling i had when mike eruzione lifted a wrist shot over the russian golaies glove to put the USA ahead 4-3...the next 10 minutes of that game might have been longest in sports history....the russians peppered golaie jim with shot after shot and it was like the hand of god came down to help stop every shot...it was unbelievable..to put this in perspective...the USA , right before the olympics started played the russian "B" team in an exibihtion and lost 10-1

the politcal climate at that time really added to the importance of this moment too...it was early 1980..we were still in the jimmy carter presidency...the hostage situation in iran where we were so messed up we couldnt even get helicopters off the ground to try and rescue them...the misery index was like at 22 points (inflation plus unemployment for you youngsters :smile: )...meanwhile the soviets were at their height and there was real concern amongst americans that we might be losing the cold war....that victory changed everything...it changed americans outlook on the whole future...

i was at oregon state at the time watching that with friends..ive never seen so many people crying...it was undescribable...

as for the russians take on it...ell the entire coachiong staff was immediately fired as soon as the got back home..all but three players were dismissed from the team and from playing any hockey in the soviet union...lost their standing in the soviet military (at the time..any olypmic athlete in the soviet union was in the military and was paid a nice salary by their standards - eventhough they never spent a day in the military itself), lost their nice apartments for them and their families...they paid bigtime for that loss...

PaleHoseGeorge
02-12-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Speaking of those 3 sox playoff teams, which of the 3 do you feel was the best?

This is a relative question since obviously they all eventually failed. All of them built me up with confidence--only to smash my dreams.

IMO, The best Sox team was the 1994 team. I believe deep in my heart that team was destined for a pennant. They had lost in the playoffs to the world champion Blue Jays the prior year; got rid of Dan Pasqua, Bo Jackson, and George Bell; added Darrin Jackson and Julio Franco (to bat #4 and protect Frank); and added Scott Sanderson in the rear of the rotation. Cleveland was tough but nobody, at least that season, had our pedigree. I believe it would have shown through in September and October.

Of course we'll never know for sure...

moochpuppy
02-12-2003, 07:31 AM
My best Sox memory is from October 8, 1993. I proposed to my wife and the Sox beat the Jays in game 3 of the ALCS 6-1.

Dan H
02-12-2003, 09:33 AM
White Sox home opening day, 1971. In 1970, the Sox lost 106 games and were going nowhere as they couldn't even draw 500,000. Roland Hemond took over as GM and did a face lift on team. The Sox opened in Oakland with a doubleheader and swept the A's, hitting six homers in the process. When they game home, the team expected about 20-25,000 for the opener. Instead they got 44,250, many of those walk ups. The Sox won in the ninth on a pinch hit single by Rich McKinney. Comiskey went nuts. I still have not such emotion at either park since. In a short time, the Sox went from hopeless to hopeful. 1971 was not a great year record-wise, but they did a lot to turn the franchise around. Hemond was and still is a class act.

pudge
02-12-2003, 03:47 PM
I have to agree with whoever wrote about the Bears NFC title game in '85... when the snow started falling and Wilbur Marshall picked up that fumble and ran it in, wow, I don't know if I'll ever feel that kind of joy again. (Go back and watch the Super Bowl tape if you haven't recently - I was shocked at how dominating that team really was... they make the 2003 Tampa Bay Bucs look like cream puffs.)

As for the Sox, to show what a pathetic history we've had, my favorite moment is a fairly meaningless 1986(or 7) game when Gary Redus hit a grand-slam off Mitch Williams to erase a six-run 9th inning deficit. I had to beg my parents to stay for the final inning. It was just a thrill to be at the park for such a great game. Next would have to be watching Fisk tag out two Yankees at home plate on the same play. That rocked.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by pudge
....As for the Sox, to show what a pathetic history we've had, my favorite moment is a fairly meaningless 1986(or 7) game when Gary Redus hit a grand-slam off Mitch Williams to erase a six-run 9th inning deficit. I had to beg my parents to stay for the final inning. It was just a thrill to be at the park for such a great game. Next would have to be watching Fisk tag out two Yankees at home plate on the same play. That rocked.

You're right, Pudge. That is pretty pathetic.

:)

"To be a Sox Fan frees a man from any other form of penance."

--Bill Veeck

soxrme
02-12-2003, 04:15 PM
SOX - Aparicio gets a ground ball, steps on 2nd,throws to first. SOX WIN - 1959 sitting with my dad going crazy.
Unsox - Olympic hockey victory over Russia, an unbelievable upset by a bunch of kids.

Hangar18
02-12-2003, 04:42 PM
went to a game in old Comiskey, 82 season.
there was a pitcher on that team who was blowing alot of
games out of the bullpen (Juan Disgusto/Slime-o-lay Barojas)
Anyway...LaRussa at the time, would always leave these guys in the game, just long enough, to blow the game, then he would come to remove the Pitcher. I always hated that about Tony L, and he did it again this nite. This pitcher came on in the 9th with
a 5 run lead, and proceeded to get SHELLED. well, after the other team got well ahead, Tony comes out to remove the guy,
and the whole place erupted in BOOS and CatCALLS....as the pitcher left the mound. New Pitcher comes in, LaRussa gives him the ball, and as he starts to walk back to the Dugout....THE PLACE ERUPTS EVEN LOUDER.....people start throwing garbage, cups, beer, wrappers, cardboard cup holders....man it was pandemonium. I could see about 300 people standing and yellingfrom behind the sox dugout out at LaRussa. He hears this, believe me...so he stops at the Foul Line....looks up at the crowd, Takes His Cap Off, Tips IT TO THE CROWD, and BOWS (mockingly) and the place gets 2x louder now. More garbage,
announcements from the PA to not throw garbage, security came on the field briefly. IT WAS HILARIOUS. that larussa, what a ham.

Paulwny
02-12-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by soxrme
SOX - Aparicio gets a ground ball, steps on 2nd,throws to first. SOX WIN - 1959 .

I still smile when I think of this moment.

Nixey 02
02-12-2003, 06:08 PM
For me:

Fall of '83. The game the Sox clinched the division against the M's.

16 yrs old. Drive into the city the morning of the game to buy SRO tickets. Watch the game from all different areas (box seats, picnic area, bleachers, upper deck corner in left). When Juice Cruz crossed the plate it was pandemonium. Over the wall we went on the first base side and into the outfield. High-fiving everyone. Watching (but not hearing) the locker room celebration on the Diamond Vision, using center field as a slip-and-slide, taking home a small divot of turf as a souvenir.

In the end, driving around the neighborhood honking the car horn and waving white sox out of the t-top, I'll never forget the sight of nuns standing on the street corner, doing shots in celebration of the victory as we drove by.

Brian26
02-12-2003, 06:28 PM
July 31, 1991. New Comiskey's First Year. The Sox were battling the Twins all season. At this point, they were 1 or 2 games out of first place. Robin Ventura had a remarkable July with 15 or 16 homers. This night it was the Sox against Texas, and Ventura had already homered earlier in the game. The Sox were down by two runs in the 9th inning. With two men on, Joey Cora screwed up a bunt, and Carlton Fisk pinch hit into a pop up for two outs. Rock Raines battled hard to draw a walk off Goose Gossage to load the bases. Ventura came up next. On a 2-0 count, he hit a towering homerun into the rightfield bleachers. The place erupted like the Sox had just won the World Series. Frank hoisted Robin up on his shoulder as Black Jack and Ozzie rubbed his noggin, and Hawk lost his voice. Seems like every Sox fan I've ever talked to saw this game. I knew a couple of guys from college that were actually there that night, and they said it was pandemonium. It's a regular season memory from a year that the Sox didn't even make the playoffs, but I think the anticipation leading up to it and the hope of possibilities to come for a great young team made it that more memorable.

Bmr31
02-12-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Nixey 02
For me:

Fall of '83. The game the Sox clinched the division against the M's.

16 yrs old. Drive into the city the morning of the game to buy SRO tickets. Watch the game from all different areas (box seats, picnic area, bleachers, upper deck corner in left). When Juice Cruz crossed the plate it was pandemonium. Over the wall we went on the first base side and into the outfield. High-fiving everyone. Watching (but not hearing) the locker room celebration on the Diamond Vision, using center field as a slip-and-slide, taking home a small divot of turf as a souvenir.

In the end, driving around the neighborhood honking the car horn and waving white sox out of the t-top, I'll never forget the sight of nuns standing on the street corner, doing shots in celebration of the victory as we drove by.

Thats weird. I was around the same age and experienced the exact same things.

Bmr31
02-12-2003, 06:42 PM
This is a relative question since obviously they all eventually failed. All of them built me up with confidence--only to smash my dreams.

IMO, The best Sox team was the 1994 team. I believe deep in my heart that team was destined for a pennant. They had lost in the playoffs to the world champion Blue Jays the prior year; got rid of Dan Pasqua, Bo Jackson, and George Bell; added Darrin Jackson and Julio Franco (to bat #4 and protect Frank); and added Scott Sanderson in the rear of the rotation. Cleveland was tough but nobody, at least that season, had our pedigree. I believe it would have shown through in September and October.

Of course we'll never know for sure...

Isnt that typical? The best sox team of our lifetime, and the sox arent allowed to prove it on the field.

Bmr31
02-12-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I remember that pretty well. At the time he was actually the youngest player in baseball. He is a few months younger than Ankiel. He was recognized as the second youngest because people still believed Rafael Furcal's birth certificate back then. Garland got beaten up by the Royals on the road. Then came home to smoke the Brewers.

That year was pretty memorable. In addition to winning 96 games. We saw Garland, Buehrle, Biddle and Barcelo for the first time. That was Wunsch's magic year. Baldwin, Sirotka and Parque all had their best years. Cal Eldred was good for the first time since 1994. The only one of those vets who has been close to healthy since then is Baldwin and he hasn't been the same since shoulder surgery. Too bad.

Wow, the future looked bright at that point, didnt it?

Stoky44
02-13-2003, 12:42 AM
My best sports memory has to be when the White Sox clinched the division in 1993. I was 10 yrs old at the time and I was at the game. Can't say enough about that season or that game.

#2 on the list has to be from this summer. I went to New York for the first time in my life with my mom. We got tickets for the Yankees Red Sox game on the first saturday of June. First time at the stadium, second major place i saw after ground zero, bright sunny saturday afternoon, Nathan hot dog in hand, freshly cut grass, Robin playing third, Rocket on the mound, fresh cut grass...GREAT BASEBALL ATMOSPHERE. UNREAL tight game for the first 6 innings then two curtain calls. I am not really a Yanks fan, but No true baseball fan could not have had a great time.

#3 I was almost 3 yrs old and my family and I where outside in the freezing cold during the Bears Super bowl Parade.

Bmr31
02-13-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Stoky44
My best sports memory has to be when the White Sox clinched the division in 1993. I was 10 yrs old at the time and I was at the game. Can't say enough about that season or that game.

#2 on the list has to be from this summer. I went to New York for the first time in my life with my mom. We got tickets for the Yankees Red Sox game on the first saturday of June. First time at the stadium, second major place i saw after ground zero, bright sunny saturday afternoon, Nathan hot dog in hand, freshly cut grass, Robin playing third, Rocket on the mound, fresh cut grass...GREAT BASEBALL ATMOSPHERE. UNREAL tight game for the first 6 innings then two curtain calls. I am not really a Yanks fan, but No true baseball fan could not have had a great time.

#3 I was almost 3 yrs old and my family and I where outside in the freezing cold during the Bears Super bowl Parade.

Hey baseball is baseball, i can think of worse ways to spend my time than at a Yankee stadium.

EnricoPallazzo
02-13-2003, 01:59 AM
I gota million of 'em. Two that come to mind were both in 1977, the South Side Hit Men year.

It was a beautiful summer night and Sox fans were euphoric. We were euphoric all season because we had never seen anything close to this much power on any Sox team. It was the bottom of the 2nd and I had reached my seat, 4th row just to the right of the screen, perfect. Yankees in town, Don Gullett on the hill. I sat down, looked up, and Richie Zisk hit one over the left field roof. From that seat I could see it all the way and watch the fans in the lower, then upper decks stand up and get ready for the souvenir, but it just kept goin'. The place went nuts!

The second was also in 1977. The temp was in the 90s (at night). The humidity was givin' 110%. The Sox were behind something like 12 to 3 in the 7th inning. The euphoria had waned entirely. I was there with my sons who were 8 and 9 years old. The place was packed because the Twins were in town and the Sox were still ahead of them, in 1st. At this point everyone was bored, uncomfortable, and generally pissed off. Then, from the left field corner, out he popped. He was wearing combat boots and nothing else. Ran all the way to the right field corner. We were sitting in the upper deck between 3rd and home, a perfect vantage point. By the time the guy got half way across, the entire crowd was on their feet yelling and laughing. I don't remeber laughing any harder. Now THAT was one of those magical family experiences for the boys and me. Even a 12-3 drubbing was fun.

Bmr31
02-13-2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by EnricoPallazzo
I gota million of 'em. Two that come to mind were both in 1977, the South Side Hit Men year.

It was a beautiful summer night and Sox fans were euphoric. We were euphoric all season because we had never seen anything close to this much power on any Sox team. It was the bottom of the 2nd and I had reached my seat, 4th row just to the right of the screen, perfect. Yankees in town, Don Gullett on the hill. I sat down, looked up, and Richie Zisk hit one over the left field roof. From that seat I could see it all the way and watch the fans in the lower, then upper decks stand up and get ready for the souvenir, but it just kept goin'. The place went nuts!

The second was also in 1977. The temp was in the 90s (at night). The humidity was givin' 110%. The Sox were behind something like 12 to 3 in the 7th inning. The euphoria had waned entirely. I was there with my sons who were 8 and 9 years old. The place was packed because the Twins were in town and the Sox were still ahead of them, in 1st. At this point everyone was bored, uncomfortable, and generally pissed off. Then, from the left field corner, out he popped. He was wearing combat boots and nothing else. Ran all the way to the right field corner. We were sitting in the upper deck between 3rd and home, a perfect vantage point. By the time the guy got half way across, the entire crowd was on their feet yelling and laughing. I don't remeber laughing any harder. Now THAT was one of those magical family experiences for the boys and me. Even a 12-3 drubbing was fun.

Ahhh what a game......hey Enrico, i lived in Oak forest for several years. I graduated from Oak Forest HS. How is it?

Bmr31
02-13-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by EnricoPallazzo

By the way, you may want to get the book "park life", if you enjoyed the 77 season. You can order it here on the site, and i believe the money supports WSI. Its a bit overpriced, but hey, it helps support this great website.

EnricoPallazzo
02-13-2003, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the tip Bmr. I'll look for the book and will be happy to overpay. This Web Site needs to keep on thriving and I would like to help.

As for Oak Forest, my nephew is captain of the mighty Bengals basketball team. They've already won 2 games. I haven't seen this many short people in one room since they banned dwarf tossing in the bars. Probably not much different than when you were here.

maurice
02-13-2003, 10:45 AM
The last season at Comiskey Park. I'm with my dad on bat day. Andy Hawkins throws a no-hitter for the yanks, but loses on some bush-league outfield defense, and the Sox amazing team speed (geez . . . I won't be writing that any time soon).

My dad's gone, but I still have the bat and the memories.

ssang
02-13-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
I would have to say the 1993 clinching over the Mariners. Never forget Bo Jackson's rainbow homer that just dropped over the fence and made the difference in the game. The second game of the Sunday doubleheader against Texas is the only time I have ever rooted AGAINST the White Sox. I knew I had tickets for the game on Monday and wanted to be there for the clinching. Worked out well for me!!!

I had the opposite experience in that game. I happened to be at the double header and after the Sox won game one, I prayed that we could take out the Rangers in game two but Ozzie Guillen flew out to end the game. I knew I missed my chance to celebrate at Comiskey. Oh well.

thecell
02-13-2003, 01:01 PM
Fave Anti-Cub Memory: June 28, 2002, Cubs jump out to an early 8 - 0 lead. Every Cub fan within 50 feet would not shut up...until Maggs bloops a hit inside the right field line to give the Sox the lead. Comiskey erupted as it had only a few other times that I can remember. Cub fans suddenly kept their mouths shut and sat back down with a look of confusion. I think they all simultaneously thought to themselves, "Where's the ivy, the cell phones, the bikinis, the Beanie Babies, the duckbill Sosa dolls, the...the...the Budweiser?"

TheBigHurt
02-13-2003, 02:10 PM
i have a couple of close ones like the 8th seed knicks over the 1st seed heat in the 1st rd becuase every game was a close one. DAN MARINO LEADING THE DOLPHINS TO THE COMEBACK AT THE WILD CARD GAME VS THE SEAHAWKS IN HIS 2ND TO LAST GAME. Georgetown advancing to the sweet 16. THE DOLPHINS COMING BACK TO BEAT THE COLTS IN OT IN 2001 IN THE WILD CARD RD WHEN LAMAR SMITH HAD A HUGE 2ND HALF

fav is DAN MARINO LEADING THE DOLPHINS TO THE COMEBACK AT THE WILD CARD GAME VS THE SEAHAWKS IN HIS 2ND TO LAST GAME.

maurice
02-13-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by thecell
Fave Anti-Cub Memory

While driving home, I was listening to the cross-town classic on the radio as CLee won it with a grand slam. The crowd went nuts. After about five minutes, I turned the radio off, but STILL HEARD THE CROWD cheering just as loudly through my open car window, even though I was still six blocks from the park. The cheering slowly turned to singing and anti-cub chanting until the neighborhood cleared quite some time later.

wassagstdu
02-13-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by soxrme
SOX - Aparicio gets a ground ball, steps on 2nd,throws to first. SOX WIN - 1959 sitting with my dad going crazy.

Nothing comes close for me too. I can still replay it in my mind -- black and white of course. But second might be Robin Ventura's grand slam single for the Mets in the NL playoffs a few years ago -- and the inning that led up to it, including especially the leadoff at-bat by Shawon Dunston (about a 20-pitch walk, I think). He had made some monster bad plays in the outfield, one in that game and one in a crucial game near the end of the season. In my mind he salvaged his career with that last at-bat. I never liked him as a Grub, but he showed me real character that night.

TRL
02-13-2003, 07:57 PM
My best in person Sox memory was in 2000. The A's were playing the Sox on a Saturday. Chris Singleton enters the game for Carlos Lee as a pinch runner. He steals second and the throw sails into centerfield, Singleton takes third on the bad throw. He then scores the tying run on a balk. Bottom of the 10th Jose Valentin on first, Big Frank comes up and doubles off the wall. Jose slides in to home........SAFE! SAFE! Everyone in Comiskey going crazy. One of the best games I've ever been to.

Bmr31
02-13-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by TRL
My best in person Sox memory was in 2000. The A's were playing the Sox on a Saturday. Chris Singleton enters the game for Carlos Lee as a pinch runner. He steals second and the throw sails into centerfield, Singleton takes third on the bad throw. He then scores the tying run on a balk. Bottom of the 10th Jose Valentin on first, Big Frank comes up and doubles off the wall. Jose slides in to home........SAFE! SAFE! Everyone in Comiskey going crazy. One of the best games I've ever been to.

Great post. Thanks for sparking that memory......

Tavarin
02-13-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by thecell
Fave Anti-Cub Memory: June 28, 2002, Cubs jump out to an early 8 - 0 lead. Every Cub fan within 50 feet would not shut up...until Maggs bloops a hit inside the right field line to give the Sox the lead. Comiskey erupted as it had only a few other times that I can remember. Cub fans suddenly kept their mouths shut and sat back down with a look of confusion. I think they all simultaneously thought to themselves, "Where's the ivy, the cell phones, the bikinis, the Beanie Babies, the duckbill Sosa dolls, the...the...the Budweiser?"

Hah, yeah, that's my favorite Sox moment, I was feeling so depressed when the Cubs got off to that 8-0 lead and the Cubs fans were taunting all the Sox fans around them, and then BAM, the Sox were up, and the Cubs fans were still taunting us. So, somebody pointed out that the Sox had taken the lead and shut those Cubs fans up :)

Also, I believe it was at that game where somebody was running around with a Cubs flag and a Sox fan tackled him, took the flag and "got rid of it"

Bmr31
02-13-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Tavarin
Hah, yeah, that's my favorite Sox moment, I was feeling so depressed when the Cubs got off to that 8-0 lead and the Cubs fans were taunting all the Sox fans around them, and then BAM, the Sox were up, and the Cubs fans were still taunting us. So, somebody pointed out that the Sox had taken the lead and shut those Cubs fans up :)

Also, I believe it was at that game where somebody was running around with a Cubs flag and a Sox fan tackled him, took the flag and "got rid of it"

ANY win over the cubs is great, but yes that one was special.

sox_fan_forever
02-13-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Tavarin

I was at that game. I'll never forget it. Definitely my favorite in person Sox moment.

Bmr31
02-13-2003, 11:16 PM
I just watch game 2 of the 1993 playoffs. I believe Jordan retired that day, too. Depressing week.

hsnterprize
02-14-2003, 07:21 AM
Wow...where do I begin? I can first off say when the Sox clinched the A.L. West Division in 1983...it was the first time in my lifetime a Chicago baseball team won anything significant. I was 11 years old at the time. When the Bears won the Super Bowl in 1986, that was a pretty neat moment. I remember the TV broadcast, and remember one of the announcers writing a big, cursive "BEARS" on the screen during the game.

In the summer of 1986, my uncle (may he rest in peace) took my cousin and I to an Oakland A's game at the old Oakland Alameda-County Coliseum. That's significant because my cousin and I flew out to Oakland, and it was the first time a family member took me to a baseball game. The stadium itself was beautiful even though it was a multi-purpose stadium. It's a shame what Al Davis did to the place. By the way, Jose Canseco was a rookie back then, and Reggie Jackson was in his final year. Also, the A's beat the Toronto Blue Jays that afternoon, and I met a really cool guy from Napa Valley.

The first live White Sox game I ever attended was back in 1984. My little league was sponsoring a trip to see the Sox vs. the Minnesota Twins. The ballpark looked so much bigger on TV. There was an old-timers game prior to the Sox-Twins game, and someone almost hit a homer in straight-away center field. It hit the top of the wall. Anyway, what I remember the most about that game was Jimmy Leland, the Sox 3rd base coach, telling Carlton Fisk to try and score off a hit. Fisk was out at the plate. Bad call, Jimmy. I think Kent Hrbek homered for the Twins that night, and the final score was either 2-1 or 1-nothing.

My first Hawks game was pretty cool. It was at the old Stadium, and they were playing San Jose. I just got out of the Army in 1993, and I was really interested in hockey. I heard about the "roar" of the building, and how loud it could get. I'd been to the Stadium for the Bulls, and it was nuts in there. But...the Chicago Stadium for the Blackhawks was second to none. I could hear the fans cheering outside the place...and I wasn't near the doors. The Hawks were honoring some of their alumni, and Wayne Messmer's anthem was on tape. No matter. I don't remember if the Hawks won the game, but seeing the Stadium ice in person for the first time was awesome. I've since been to many Hawks and Wolves game. There's nothing like going to a hockey game LIVE. That's how you become a hockey fan.

ssang
02-14-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by maurice
While driving home, I was listening to the cross-town classic on the radio as CLee won it with a grand slam. The crowd went nuts. After about five minutes, I turned the radio off, but STILL HEARD THE CROWD cheering just as loudly through my open car window, even though I was still six blocks from the park. The cheering slowly turned to singing and anti-cub chanting until the neighborhood cleared quite some time later.

Ah, yes, the C.Lee grandslam game. I was at that game and I was just bombed! What a tremendous evening......Fine holiday fun for all Sox fans.

Bmr31
02-14-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by ssang
Ah, yes, the C.Lee grandslam game. I was at that game and I was just bombed! What a tremendous evening......Fine holiday fun for all Sox fans.

And you remember the game? LOL :gulp:

Bmr31
02-14-2003, 04:56 PM
Some of my best EARLY memories are of that lineup with Oscar Gamble and Richie Zisk. Anyone remember the entire lineup?

hold2dibber
02-16-2003, 12:18 AM
I have three that stick out in my mind (though I could go on and on); I'll go in chrono order:

(1) Julio Cruz stomping on home plate with the winning run as the Sox clinched the division in '83. I was with my brother and Dad (Enrico Pallazo to you!) sitting in the first base grandstand (Dad - correct me if I'm wrong). Before the game, I remember talking to Dad about whether we could storm the field if the Sox won. He said no. Then, after the game, when they had clinched, me and my brother both looked at him and after a second he said, "Oh what the hell, go ahead" and we rushed the field. Absolute euphoria.

(2) Last night game at Old Comiskey. Every time Pudge came up, the whole friggin' park erupted in flash bulbs from everyone taking pictures. Magical.

(3) Summer of '01. Me, my uncle, my Dad and my 5 year old son sitting in about the 10th row behind home plate for a scorching hot Sunday afternoon game against the Tigers. Best seats I've ever had. Sitting with the scouts and Tigers players' wives. But the Sox were getting absolutely shut down through the middle of the 8th. Tigers 6, Sox 0. Corpse ball. Depressing as all hell. Seemed hopeless. Then, from out of nowhere, the Sox score 4 in the bottom of the 8th. I think they only had one hit going into the 8th. Bottom or the 9th, Sox put a few hits together, and the most unlikely of heroes, Chris Singleton hits a double (thrown out at 3rd to end the inning) to tie it. We were going bonkers. Then in the bottom of the 10th, PK comes up with a man on first. I don't remember the count. But Matt Anderson was pitching. He brought the heat, and the very second he hit it, I jumped up, turned around and started dealing high fives to everyone behind me. I didn't even watch it leave - I knew it was WAY gone (would have been unbelievably embarassing if the wind had knocked it down to the left fielder). Amazing come back. My son has been hooked every since (poor, poor boy).

Bmr31
02-16-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I have three that stick out in my mind (though I could go on and on); I'll go in chrono order:

(1) Julio Cruz stomping on home plate with the winning run as the Sox clinched the division in '83. I was with my brother and Dad (Enrico Pallazo to you!) sitting in the first base grandstand (Dad - correct me if I'm wrong). Before the game, I remember talking to Dad about whether we could storm the field if the Sox won. He said no. Then, after the game, when they had clinched, me and my brother both looked at him and after a second he said, "Oh what the hell, go ahead" and we rushed the field. Absolute euphoria.

(2) Last night game at Old Comiskey. Every time Pudge came up, the whole friggin' park erupted in flash bulbs from everyone taking pictures. Magical.

(3) Summer of '01. Me, my uncle, my Dad and my 5 year old son sitting in about the 10th row behind home plate for a scorching hot Sunday afternoon game against the Tigers. Best seats I've ever had. Sitting with the scouts and Tigers players' wives. But the Sox were getting absolutely shut down through the middle of the 8th. Tigers 6, Sox 0. Corpse ball. Depressing as all hell. Seemed hopeless. Then, from out of nowhere, the Sox score 4 in the bottom of the 8th. I think they only had one hit going into the 8th. Bottom or the 9th, Sox put a few hits together, and the most unlikely of heroes, Chris Singleton hits a double (thrown out at 3rd to end the inning) to tie it. We were going bonkers. Then in the bottom of the 10th, PK comes up with a man on first. I don't remember the count. But Matt Anderson was pitching. He brought the heat, and the very second he hit it, I jumped up, turned around and started dealing high fives to everyone behind me. I didn't even watch it leave - I knew it was WAY gone (would have been unbelievably embarassing if the wind had knocked it down to the left fielder). Amazing come back. My son has been hooked every since (poor, poor boy).

Great memories, thanks man. I remember all 3 very well.

chisoxfan79
02-17-2003, 11:54 AM
My favorite sports memory had to be two years ago when it was the Cubs vs The White Sox when Carlos Lee hit a walk off Grand Slam and sent Cub fans home crying

soxguy
02-17-2003, 12:08 PM
boy....i dont know where to start. My neighbor was one of the white sox team physicians from 75 to 85, he started taking me and his son to the games when we were 10 yo(which was 81-82). I have so many memories of old comiskey and the 83 sox. We would mill around behind the sox dugout at certain times and he would call us up and over the dugout to come sit with the players for a half inning or so, MAN WHAT AN EXPERIENCE, Thats when harold baines became my favorite bb player of all time, he was quiet but a very class act. After some games when my friends father would be in the locker room the staff would allow us to play pitch and hit under the lights before everyone went home for the night. I drempt of the bigleagues then , how could a kid not. I remember distinctly one time chet lemmon ran into the wall chasing a ball in the outfield and hurt his ankle, they carted him off the field and down to the bowels of the old stadium to get looked at by my friends dad(Dr. John Caccioppo) chet was on a cot grimacing in pain as he was being examined, we sat in the room with him, and I remember him saying, get me back out there, i think its only a sprain, we were nervous around him, but he continued, he said that the only way to play was to go all out, that left an impression on me. We would wait outside the locker room for autographes. the players would come out, hair still wet from showering, and they never hesitated to sign for us, what a great bunch of guys. And last but not least, we were allowed once to slide on the tarps during a prolonged rain delay, that was completely cool. Getting to know the players made me emotionally attached to those teams and in 83' when they lost we drove home from the ballpark in tears.....I think i cried for weeks, I was only 11yo but i knew i might not ever be that close again.

soxguy
02-17-2003, 12:13 PM
All those memories left a permanant mark on me. I was a kid who grew up on the nw side of chicago, down addison right by wrigley field, my whole family and all my friends were cubs fans. but thank God for dr. caccioppo and his big heart. He knew his son and I would forever be SOX fans. GOD rest his soul. And i am going to spoil my 2 sons who are only 1 and 3 with sox things their whole lives. MY son already saw the sox in milwaukee last year for a preseason game. He has comisky park painted on his wall by a mural artist. GO SOX!

Hangar18
02-17-2003, 12:26 PM
that was a cool story Soxguy.

cheeses_h_rice
02-17-2003, 12:58 PM
My favorite non-Sox sports moments would have to be:

1. Game 6 of the 1998 NBA finals. No, I wasn't there, but when Jordan hit the game-winning shot, I ran out onto Chicago Avenue (I was at a friend's apartment) and screamed as loudly as I could, "HE DID IT!!! HE F*#KING DID IT!!!". Then we all went over to North/Damen/Milwaukee and celebrated with hundreds of other folks 'til the police made us go home.

2. Super Bowl XX. I was living in a dorm at Notre Dame, which was surprisingly full of Chicago Bears haters. I remember when Payton fumbled the ball early in the game, people running up and down the hall screaming and laughing about the "Bears' choke." Sure was funny to watch them drink a big glass of **** just a few minutes later.

__

My favorite Sox in-person moments are probably (in no particular order):

1. The Carlos Lee-granny victory over the Flubs. That was the game that David Wells started and got shelled in the first inning...so much for our "big game" pitcher...

2. The 14-inning midnight victory over the Flubs in '00.

3. The Jose Valentin kissyfingers victory over the Flubs in '01.

4. Cal Eldred pitching a complete game 6-0 shutout over the Injuns in '00.

5. The first home game after the 7-game stretch against the Yanks and Injuns in '00, when the Sox got the first of what became many standing O's that year -- that was the game where it started.

__

My least favorite in-person games would have to be:

1. Burly going for win #20 over the Yanks in '02, and beating Roger Clemens through about 7 innings, and then Keith Foulke coming in and blowing a 3-run lead when Jason Giambi destroys a pitch over the RF wall. That one game ruined an entire season for me; I just didn't really care about the team all that much after that.

2. The second home playoff game in '00. The atmosphere in the stands got incredibly ugly, with Sox fans calling the players names, and then fans starting to go at each other as the game started winding down.

I wasn't a truly fanatical Sox fan back in '93 and '83, so I have only a vague memory of those playoff losses, even Dibber's gaffe. What I remember most of all was the big hullaballoo about Jordan retiring, oddly enough...