PDA

View Full Version : "Club" Level should be New Upper Deck

Hangar18
02-11-2003, 03:45 PM
Just think of it...the Infrastructure is Already in Place.
If Reinsdorf insists on having a private area for "fans"
why doesnt he just make a smaller area towards RF.
This is a perfect Idea. Why Dont I work these guys?

Hangar18
02-11-2003, 04:36 PM
I know this is Feasible. Arent there some Engineers
among us who can Attest to this?
how cool would our park look if that Damn Club level
(which is a WASTE in my opinion, along with the Top Level
of SkyBoxes, which always are empty making it look worse)
was the new upper deck.

Build it so that it resembles the Jacobs Fields Upper Deck,
in that you can walk all around the Outside of the Stadium

MarkEdward
02-11-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I know this is Feasible. Arent there some Engineers
among us who can Attest to this?
was the new upper deck.

Build it so that it resembles the Jacobs Fields Upper Deck,
in that you can walk all around the Outside of the Stadium

So you just want to see 20,000 seats eliminated, leaving only the lower bowl and the club level?

I somehow don't think Jerry would buy into your plan.

Hangar18
02-11-2003, 04:54 PM
No, no, no. I want to Eliminate 20,000 seats yes....
but RELOCATE them to where the Club Level Currently is.

The Seats would be Significantly CLOSER, and a LESS STEEPER
PITCH at that height. heck,,,,they could probably add
maybe 3 or 4 more rows to overhang the lower deck...but that
would be OK.
PRESTO.
NO MORE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE UPPER DECK.

LuvSox
02-11-2003, 05:05 PM
I love the club level. It's a nice "family" place, no smoking except for in the bar, wait staff, air conditioning, fairly secure. Well, if you're with the family. Otherwise I'm always drunk in the outfield............

gosox3072
02-11-2003, 05:24 PM
Sounds good but where will jerry put the old skyboxes. I doubt that they would just do away with all those 1000 a game boxes even if they are not all filled every game.

Hangar18
02-11-2003, 05:28 PM
Well, lets we know there NEVER always in use.
SO....lets just say we relocate 50% of them...move them
into a multilevel BUILDING (ala SD's new ballpark)
and put that in left field. Wouldnt be as close to the field,
but could offer the Option of YEAR ROUND USE and Views
of Downtown also. These could be optioned to corporations
more than the closer ones.

ALSO.....you build it right...these would sell out first

kevingrt
02-11-2003, 05:30 PM
One problem, wouldn't that cost a lot of $$$???

Hangar18
02-11-2003, 05:54 PM
well, they did get 68mill just recently.
ALSO...they could sell the rights to the BUILDING.
say the Pepsi Bldg in LF. put a Pepsi bottle at the top of
the bldg or something crazy like that.
let them pay for the bldg.

jortafan
02-11-2003, 06:33 PM
was the new upper deck.

I don't understand why you think they're a waste. And since when are they always empty?

The one thing I've hated about occasions when I've sat in the club level is that some jerk in the upper level of private boxes always manages to dump something out the window, and onto the people sitting beneath. I once got doused with a beer, just like Al Smith.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Quite a few Sox Fans have noted here that the first 10 rows of UD seats are pretty good. Given all the price increases in the lower bowl, the UD seats behind homeplate are becoming one of the best values in the ballpark.

As I understand it, previous renovation plans have focused on eliminating the top seven rows of seats in the UD and enclosing the remaining seats in a longer, lower roof. That's a pretty economical fix in my book.

I can't imagine tearing off the top deck of Diamond Suites, and building a new UD starting at the Club Level, could be built for anything near the $68 million the Sox are getting from U.S. Cellular.

Foulke You
02-11-2003, 07:13 PM
What Reinsdorf mentioned in a Sun-Times article was that he wanted the park to have a more "intimate" feel to it and also have it amplify the noise level and excitement in the ballpark which I think is a good idea. Apparently nothing is concrete yet. Reinsdorf said they have ideas but don't want to make them public because if they turn out to be not feasible the media will call him a liar.

The noise level comment leads me to believe a canopy awning roof is a given for the upper deck. Nothing bounces sound around better than a flat metal roof. Comiskey is currently pretty damn loud even with only 20000 fans in the current "open air" state of the park, we'd be Yankee Stadium loud (or louder) with some acoustic improvements. It sounds a little trivial but a loud atmosphere provides a home field edge. The article also mentioned that engineers are looking into ways to bring the UD closer to the field (Can you say overhang?) but again nothing is official. Everyone who has seen the HKS pix knows that a homer porch, canopy UD roof, and grand entrance are probably in the ballpark's future.

gogosoxgogo
02-11-2003, 08:11 PM
Sorry, I don't like this idea. This would cut our total seat capacity way down. Add the home run porch, and whatever else they have planned. A roof would be nice, but don't count on it.

nut_stock
02-11-2003, 08:23 PM
Long ago I had posted something on the "Fix Comiskey" page of this site. I had suggested an overhang extending down from the current UD consisting of about 4 rows. I would think that this is feasible so long as they don't extend it down far enough to block the view of the top level suites. They would however have to move those long automated scoreboards that are viewable from the seats in the outfield.

soxnut
02-11-2003, 09:43 PM
I like the first 10 rows of the UD. I think they're pretty good seats. They can cut off the rest, but overhang some rows and put a flat roof on the UD. The park is pretty loud(we do have very enthusiastic fans) as it is. I think it would be fanstastically intimidating with the modifications. And they've got to do that home-run porch!! :smile:

soxnut
02-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Don't we have any engineers on this site who could give us their thoery on the UD???????? :?:

cheeses_h_rice
02-11-2003, 11:03 PM
Well, lets we know there NEVER always in use.
SO....lets just say we relocate 50% of them...move them
into a multilevel BUILDING (ala SD's new ballpark)
and put that in left field. Wouldnt be as close to the field,
but could offer the Option of YEAR ROUND USE and Views
of Downtown also. These could be optioned to corporations
more than the closer ones.

ALSO.....you build it right...these would sell out first

Hangar, for the love of god, can't you please fix your posting style? It is SO incredibly hard to read, I am tempted to just start ignoring threads started by you, despite enjoying the substance of some of them.

You are hitting "return" when you don't need to be doing so, thus creating all these small clumps of words.

Like this (yes, I'm exaggerating):

So, I went to
Comiskey Park the
other day and I
enjoyed the game but
it was hard to watch the
Sox blow a 5-run lead in
the 9th inning. Oh well at
least I got to see Burly
pitch which was good, and
the food was good, and
I almost caught a foul ball.
I am going back next week
to see Jon Garland
pitch and that will
be good.

Anal retentively yours,

cheeses

Hangar18
02-12-2003, 08:42 AM
my posting style? I dont understand how my words come out
any different? I just type and presto. I look at other posts and they look very similar to mine. For Instance, In typing this, im not hitting the "Return" and the words naturally flow the next sentence. how do I fix this "problem" ?

duke of dorwood
02-12-2003, 09:10 AM
Back to the Upper Deck, anyone ever been to a Race Track where the entire grandstand is enclosed by glass? How about extending the roof and closing ithe upper deck all in? That would make it "intimate'-really create a noise factor, and shelter there not needed in bad weather. I gotta believe that plus climate control, would be cheaper than tearing it down. Hardly any foul balls go there anyway.

Hangar18
02-12-2003, 09:21 AM
Making the Upper Deck Look like Sportsman Park?
I guess they would market it as a GIANT SKYBOX.
The Media would have a Field Day with that one.

cheeses_h_rice
02-12-2003, 10:23 AM
my posting style? I dont understand how my words come out
any different? I just type and presto. I look at other posts and they look very similar to mine. For Instance, In typing this, im not hitting the "Return" and the words naturally flow the next sentence. how do I fix this "problem" ?

That post was better. It appears that you're putting about 5 spaces between each sentence, which is why the wrapping looks weird. Like this. Like, if I put a bunch of spaces between sentences, it would begin to look weird sometimes. Before, I have no idea what you were doing, but it looked like you were hitting the return key instead of letting the text wrap. OK, over and out. Bye.

Foulke You
02-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Sorry, I don't like this idea. This would cut our total seat capacity way down. Add the home run porch, and whatever else they have planned. A roof would be nice, but don't count on it.

Actually, Reinsdorf addressed in the Sun Times article that he doesn't want the capacity of the park to dip too much below the current 45,000+ after the renovations.

Sad
02-12-2003, 02:16 PM
I'm gonna miss sitting in the Club level this year
:whiner:
that was my favorite place to sit
(save for our supplier's front&2nd row seats behind SOX dugout)

seems like I could usually get seats a bit closer to the infield on that level if ordered in advance...

I can't remember, but when (the new) Comiskey opened in '91, weren't these club-level seats season-tix only then as well or have they always (prior to this year) been available as single-game tickets?

spent many a game in the UD and had fun

I selected lower level box seats for my SOX-7 this year as I like the ambience and food options alot better

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Steak Pitas gaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh <drool>

Kilroy
02-12-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Sad
I'm gonna miss sitting in the Club level this year
:whiner:
that was my favorite place to sit
(save for our supplier's front&2nd row seats behind SOX dugout)

seems like I could usually get seats a bit closer to the infield on that level if ordered in advance...

I can't remember, but when (the new) Comiskey opened in '91, weren't these club-level seats season-tix only then as well or have they always (prior to this year) been available as single-game tickets?

spent many a game in the UD and had fun

I selected lower level box seats for my SOX-7 this year as I like the ambience and food options alot better

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Steak Pitas gaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh <drool>

Wait, club level is season tickets only now??

Hangar18
02-12-2003, 02:49 PM
Club Level is Ok...but very antiseptic and Sterile.
when I walk in the concourse area there, I dont feel like IM at a ballgame, but like im at Sears or some other mall.
The Concourse area In Jacobs Field in Cleveland is EXCELLENT.
they did EVERYTHING right in that park. When I saw that place
the first time, I almost cried it was that awesome.
Then I wished we had something like that here in Chicago.

Hangar18
02-12-2003, 02:53 PM
oh, and one funny thing about my visit to Cleveland. Id never before been Heckled by the opposite teams fans about How BAD our stadium was, and how Terrible the Upper Deck was.
that was a First. ALL I could say was ....."you know what...your right."

PaleHoseGeorge
02-12-2003, 03:05 PM
oh, and one funny thing about my visit to Cleveland. Id never before been Heckled by the opposite teams fans about How BAD our stadium was, and how Terrible the Upper Deck was.
that was a First. ALL I could say was ....."you know what...your right."

The UD at Jacobs is no better than ours at The Cell. Fans in Cleveland are just too stupid to know any better.

Of course there is one other difference between the "lousy" upper deck in Chicago and the unknown equally-lousy one in Cleveland. In Cleveland, the Plain-Dealer doesn't own a competing baseball team, or employ a competent architecture critic pointing out (repeatedly the past 12 years) the obvious flaws with their ballpark.

It's the same story in Baltimore. Camden's UD is FAR WORSE than Comiskey's. Fans sitting in many of the seats can't see the entire field. Upper decks in new ballparks across America are virtually just as far from the action as ours. Of course in all these other cities the local paper has nothing but glowing reports to share with its readers, too.

Gee whiz... if only the Cubune could spin its magic in each of those cities, too!

Nellie_Fox
02-12-2003, 03:25 PM
Well, lets we know there NEVER always in use. uhhhhhh, what?

Originally posted by jortafan
The one thing I've hated about occasions when I've sat in the club level is that some jerk in the upper level of private boxes always manages to dump something out the window, and onto the people sitting beneath. I once got doused with a beer, just like Al Smith. That's part of the deal when you sit in a luxury suite; you get to dump stuff on the riff-raff below.

Hangar18
02-12-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The UD at Jacobs is no better than ours at The Cell. Fans in Cleveland are just too stupid to know any better.

Of course there is one other difference between the "lousy" upper deck in Chicago and the unknown equally-lousy one in Cleveland. In Cleveland, the Plain-Dealer doesn't own a competing baseball team, or employ a competent architecture critic pointing out (repeatedly the past 12 years) the obvious flaws with their ballpark.

It's the same story in Baltimore. Camden's UD is FAR WORSE than Comiskey's. Fans sitting in many of the seats can't see the entire field. Upper decks in new ballparks across America are virtually just as far from the action as ours. Of course in all these other cities the local paper has nothing but glowing reports to share with its readers, too.

Gee whiz... if only the Cubune could spin its magic in each of those cities, too!

Good Point. But I'd take that park Any Day over ours. Simply
because the outside of the park, the concourses, the UPPER DECK in RF is very close to the field....lower than the rest of the upperdeck. Picnic area in Center is Phenomenal....

duke of dorwood
02-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Club Level was definately full season the first 2 years.

hold2dibber
02-12-2003, 03:45 PM

I've never been to the Jake, but the UD at Camden, Miller Park and even venerable ol' Yankee Stadium are every bit as steep and far from the action as the UD at the Cell.

MarkEdward
02-12-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Wait, club level is season tickets only now??

I think they'll only be available on the day of the game.

A.T. Money
02-12-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I've never been to the Jake, but the UD at Camden, Miller Park and even venerable ol' Yankee Stadium are every bit as steep and far from the action as the UD at the Cell.

Yeah, and Seattle looks pretty far as well. However, in Yankee Stadium, you can hit a homer well into that upperdeck. Remember Liefer's blast last year off Clemens? It may be as steep, but it hugs the field a little more than Comiskey.

Cheryl
02-12-2003, 04:19 PM
Skydome's UD is much, much higher than any other ballpark I've been in. But it's a lot closer. Which means more people on the lower deck are sitting under the overhang. I sat up there right behind home plate and it was a pretty phenomenal view. Also, Jeter hit a vertical home run the guy in front of me caught.

jortafan
02-12-2003, 06:59 PM
The other difference between Comiskey UD and UDs in other ballparks built in 1990s is that the other parks were built with three or four decks of seats, instead of just two like Comiskey. (The Club Level is too minute to qualify as a separate deck).

The end result is that their worst seats are just as bad as the worst seats in our park. But they also offer many thousands of seats in middle levels, whereas our park offers, at most, a thousand seats at the club level.

Also keep in mind that when Mariotti or other critics brings up the fact that some stadiums have seats as cheap as $8, they're right. But those seats are only in the uppermost rows of the uppermost deck in the portions that stretch over the outfield. Our ballpark offers no such equivalent seat.

Kilroy
02-12-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Club Level was definately full season the first 2 years.

As far as I knew, if you bought season tickets in club level, they had to be full season, but you didn't have to buy season tix to get tix in club level.

StillMissOzzie
02-22-2003, 02:53 AM
To clarify or confuse w/r/t club level tix for 2003 - I don't know about other plans, but the Sox 7 plan has made the club level off limits, as well as not getting any All-Star or post season consideration :gulp:

Juan Pizarro
02-22-2003, 11:25 AM
Somebody show yummy the door.

When the park was new -- before anyone but season ticketers could be there and before any of the murals or brick in common areas -- I was a guest of my brother-in-law in one of the by-the-plate club sections.
It was so bourgoise as to be unbearable.

We went in the special private gate, up the oak-lined elevator to the sports bar restaurant area in the Stadium Club. Watched bp from a sweet perspective not available to the rabble.

We then walked on a private concourse -- can't allow the hoi polloi -- with all the framed jerseys and old photos that the real fans couldn't see. I remember thinking, "This is what would make this place better, instead of the food court concourse."

After a few innings of aisle service and hearing absolutely boneheaded commentary all around us, my wife, a Minnesota refugee who still misses Wimpy, said, "Who ARE these people? I wanna go to the bleachers and have a hot dog."

IMO, the best seats in the park are club level, and some of the dimmest fans.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-22-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro
IMO, the best seats in the park are club level, and some of the dimmest fans.

It's funny you mention this. As far as elevation, the Club Level seats at the Cell are roughly equivalent to the first row of seats at Old Comiskey. The biggest difference is Old Comiskey's upper deck was located closer to the edge of the playing field.

Having sat in virtually every corner of Old Comiskey, I can say without hestation that the best seats in the old ballpark were behind homeplate in the upper deck. The closest equivalent seats at the Cell are Club Level.*

*I'm not counting Diamond Suites. I don't even feel like I'm at the ballgame whenever I've watched a game from inside one of those. It felt more like watching a game from my living room--lots of distractions.

Ziggy S
02-23-2003, 01:58 AM
well, they did get 68mill just recently.
That money isn't all upfront. It gets paid during the course of 23 years so he basically gets close to three million a year for this plan, maybe a little more if he tries to get a loan.

Hangar18
02-24-2003, 08:49 AM
It's funny you mention this. As far as elevation, the Club Level seats at the Cell are roughly equivalent to the first row of seats at Old Comiskey. The biggest difference is Old Comiskey's upper deck was located closer to the edge of the playing field.

Having sat in virtually every corner of Old Comiskey, I can say without hestation that the best seats in the old ballpark were behind homeplate in the upper deck. The closest equivalent seats at the Cell are Club Level.*

*I'm not counting Diamond Suites. I don't even feel like I'm at the ballgame whenever I've watched a game from inside one of those. It felt more like watching a game from my living room--lots of distractions.

Which Is why the New Upper Deck should be the "club" level.
Infrastructure is ALREADY IN PLACE

ewokpelts
03-01-2003, 04:55 PM
Hey,
Not to sound stoopid, but what's a homer porch?
Gene

fuzzy_patters
03-02-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Hey,
Not to sound stoopid, but what's a homer porch?
Gene

An example of a homerun porch would be the upper deck area that is in fair territory where homruns are hit at the Ballpark at Arlington.

voodoochile
03-02-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
An example of a homerun porch would be the upper deck area that is in fair territory where homruns are hit at the Ballpark at Arlington.

No no no! It's the place where Marge's husband drinks beer and yells at Flanders...

:)

soxnut
03-05-2003, 02:18 PM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or is aware, but a LED board is being placed on the upper deck facade. So, I guess that means no seats will be added on to overhang on that deck and the chopping off of the top probably is in order. :smile:

nut_stock
03-05-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or is aware, but a LED board is being placed on the upper deck facade. So, I guess that means no seats will be added on to overhang on that deck and the chopping off of the top probably is in order. :smile:

Where are they putting it...behind home????

soxnut
03-06-2003, 12:05 AM
The boards are going along the left and right field lines 300 ft. Not clear if behind home is included in there. If you check out whitesox.com, and go to the bottom of the page and click on sponsors, then signage, you will see the example picture. :smile:

hsnterprize
03-06-2003, 07:21 AM

Gee whiz... if only the Cubune could spin its magic in each of those cities, too! [/B]

There's one thing you have to also understand. People in Baltimore and Cleveland recently never had baseball-only stadiums like we've always have had in Chicago...they've had large, multi-purpose stadiums (Memorial Stadium and Cleveland Municipal Stadium respectively), and are now re-experiencing the baseball-only feel in a ballpark. Also, even though the upper decks in Jacobs Field and Oriole Park respectively are just as high as the UD at the Cell, the stadiums are so well designed that the UD's aren't the main source of attention for casual fans. People who aren't as serious about baseball can look into the downtown areas of their cities, and see other "tourist attractions." Even the ballparks themselves are tourist attractions, as the downtown areas of those places are going through a renaissance...the local city boards want people to visit their towns. Chicago doesn't need such a boost.

What's there for casual fans to look at when they go to the Cell? Even though I'm a Sox fan, I have to admit there isn't much there. Bronzeville, the neighborhood across the Dan Ryan Expressway, isn't Wrigleyville. Even though many high-rise housing complexes are either torn down or going down, it's not like looking at apartment building across the street from the ballpark. And, the Cell isn't facing downtown either. So, I've said before that if the Sox are to put up home run porches, why not put them in both left and right field. It's not like there's anything to look at outside the stadium, anyway. I'm not dissing the neighborhoods near the ballpark, but they're not "trendy" or not a tourist attraction. That's fine, but in today's trend of ballparks, there's a price to pay for not "going along with the trends."

SaltyPretzel
03-06-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by soxnut

Off the Sox website:
"U. S. Cellular Field features 600 feet of LED (Light Emitting Diode) display signage located on the Upper Deck Fašade, 300 feet each down the first and third base lines. Your company logo and message would be featured exclusively for one (1) randomly selected half-inning throughout 2003 regular season. Your company logo and message would also be included in the game entertainment. LED offers your company the flexibility to communicate your message in a dynamic and aggressive way. "

I find these LED boards as annoying and obnoxious as a floppy hat wearing Cubs fan. They have them at the United Center and I don't like them at all. :(:

Hullett_Fan
03-06-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by SaltyPretzel
I find these LED boards as annoying and obnoxious as a floppy hat wearing Cubs fan. They have them at the United Center and I don't like them at all. :(:

Ditto that. Why do companies feel they need to sell us something every single moment of our lives? :angry:

I'm work in advertising and it pisses me off!

Hangar18
03-06-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Ditto that. Why do companies feel they need to sell us something every single moment of our lives? :angry:

I'm work in advertising and it pisses me off!

What is ANNOYING is those GIANT BILLBOARDS in RIGHT and LEFT FIELD. THOSE THINGS ARE HUMONGOUS and COMPLETELY make the SCOREBOARD and the rest of the Outfield Look Out Of SCALE.
TERRIBLE. a Giant OLD NAVY sign....doesnt make me think of Baseball when I see that. So much so that I decided to never shop there. ALSO, because of the Giant TRIBUNE billboard, I no longer purchase that either. Couldnt the sox have thought of something with a little more CLASS?? Like the coke bottle in Left at Pac-Bell ??

Hangar18
03-06-2003, 10:43 AM
Those LED boards are pretty cool.....BUT I know theyre going to be Mis-used by advertising every single inning.....BUY COKE!!
McDonalds....WE LIKE TO SEE YOU SMILE.........BRIDGESTONE TIRES, TIRES OF PAUL KONERKO. annoying. GOing to comiskeys going to be like going to a Live INFOMERCIAL this yr.

Hullett_Fan
03-06-2003, 11:40 AM
What is ANNOYING is those GIANT BILLBOARDS in RIGHT and LEFT FIELD. THOSE THINGS ARE HUMONGOUS and COMPLETELY make the SCOREBOARD and the rest of the Outfield Look Out Of SCALE.
TERRIBLE. a Giant OLD NAVY sign....doesnt make me think of Baseball when I see that. So much so that I decided to never shop there. ALSO, because of the Giant TRIBUNE billboard, I no longer purchase that either. Couldnt the sox have thought of something with a little more CLASS?? Like the coke bottle in Left at Pac-Bell ??

The worst billboard is the one (Price Waterhouse?) with the live stock ticker. Jerry and his friends can't go 2-3 hours without seeing how their investments are doing? Totally out-of-place inside a ballpark (and in a neighborhood where a number of people don't have enough money to buy food, much less, buy stock). Tasteless.

Hangar18
03-06-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
The worst billboard is the one (Price Waterhouse?) with the live stock ticker. Jerry and his friends can't go 2-3 hours without seeing how their investments are doing? Totally out-of-place inside a ballpark (and in a neighborhood where a number of people don't have enough money to buy food, much less, buy stock). Tasteless.

Its not so bad. I know there are some brokers who like to look at that thing between innings. Only reason Club Wrigley doesnt already have that thing up there also, is because they just barely Got Electricity a few yrs ago....

bigfoot
03-07-2003, 12:21 AM
Does Jerry R. have any idea the liability involved in placing a stock ticker on a message board at Sox Park? There's bound to be someone take a 'flyer' from the clubsection.