PDA

View Full Version : "Everyday" Eddie had it a bit too easy last season

SoxxoS
02-10-2003, 10:52 PM
From Jayson Stark's column-
Have we mentioned lately that all saves are not created equal? Hey, life is good when all you do is march in to start the ninth inning with a lead. These closers inherited the fewest runners last season:

Eddie Guardardo 2 (1 scored)
Bob Wickman 5 (0 scored)
Jason Isringhausen 6 (0 scored)
Jose Mesa 7 (0 scored)
Mike Williams 7 (2 scored)

I mean, it's a lot easier to pitch when you don't have to pitch out of jams. The Twins worst enemy: The Law of Averages.

Bmr31
02-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
From Jayson Stark's column-
Have we mentioned lately that all saves are not created equal? Hey, life is good when all you do is march in to start the ninth inning with a lead. These closers inherited the fewest runners last season:

Eddie Guardardo 2 (1 scored)
Bob Wickman 5 (0 scored)
Jason Isringhausen 6 (0 scored)
Jose Mesa 7 (0 scored)
Mike Williams 7 (2 scored)

I mean, it's a lot easier to pitch when you don't have to pitch out of jams. The Twins worst enemy: The Law of Averages.

I guess you did not want to point out that the reason for this is the outstanding job the twins set up men did?

SoxxoS
02-10-2003, 11:30 PM
That stat is more to prove that "everyday" isn't as good as advertised. Now, BH Kim from the D-Backs had inherited 37 runners, and let 7 score. That is the kind of guy that is a really good closer. I am just proving that guardado isn't anything special.

Bmr31
02-10-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
That stat is more to prove that "everyday" isn't as good as advertised. Now, BH Kim from the D-Backs had inherited 37 runners, and let 7 score. That is the kind of guy that is a really good closer. I am just proving that guardado isn't anything special.

Well your opinion may or may not be correct, but you didnt prove a thing. If there is no reason to bring in your closer in the 8th inning, you don't.

moochpuppy
02-11-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
I guess you did not want to point out that the reason for this is the outstanding job the twins set up men did?

The Twins setup men did pitch over their heads last season BUT, Eddie Guardardo came in at the begining of innings and very rarely came in in the middle of a situation.

duke of dorwood
02-11-2003, 07:52 AM
Guardado benefitted from wide strike zone in games I saw. He could easily be walking these guys. He's a fluke-as are some of the other purveyors of junk in the Minn. pen.

LuvSox
02-11-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Well your opinion may or may not be correct, but you didnt prove a thing. If there is no reason to bring in your closer in the 8th inning, you don't. It proves Minnesota scored enough runs to give their closer a lead.

gogosoxgogo
02-11-2003, 05:07 PM
Guardado is someone I don't fear as a Sox fan. He is not one of the dominant closers in the game no matter how the Twins want to portray him.