PDA

View Full Version : contract offer for rogers?

idseer
02-10-2003, 08:39 PM
anyone hear anything about this?

a regular on the espn board said ....

No Bs....just heard it on SportsNight LA/SD from Hacksaw Hamilton. No figures were announced.

SoxRulecubsdrool
02-10-2003, 08:48 PM
Somebody just tossed that up on the AOL WhiteSox board also!

? :?: ?

Lip Man 1
02-10-2003, 08:58 PM
Remember Phil Rogers' column Sunday contained the statement that Rogers would decide this week if he was going to join the only rotation in baseball that had 4 starters with 190 innings and 30 starts.

I infered from that that Rogers (Kenny) WAS offerend something by the Sox.

We'll see...

Lip

longshot7
02-10-2003, 10:42 PM
not to totally discount this news - but Hacksaw isn't always very accurate. I've heard him announce numerous trade rumors that I haven't heard anywhere else - sometimes (not necessarily in this case) I think he makes them up.

for instance, last summer, he announced that the pirates were close to sending Brian Giles here for Lee and Rauch. guess what - it never happened.

And he always mispronounces Julian Tavarez's name - Who-Lian.
God, I hate that.

SoxxoS
02-10-2003, 11:16 PM
Although that never happened, that Giles for Rauch/Lee is very intresting. That would give us the All-Star centerfielder we covet, white moving Borchard to a more natural position. Brian Giles puts up unreal numbers and never gets noticed. Imagine the outfield of Borchard, Giles and Ordonez. wow.

mac9001
02-10-2003, 11:42 PM
This being my first post I'd like to say: Hey all :smile:

Actually i remember talk about KW wanting to go after Giles last offseason, but Giles said he'd veto a trade to the White Sox's.

WinningUgly!
02-10-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by mac9001
This being my first post I'd like to say: Hey all :smile:

Actually i remember talk about KW wanting to go after Giles last offseason, but Giles said he'd veto a trade to the White Sox's.

Hey Welcome aboard!

I don't think Giles went so far as saying he'd veto a trade to the Sox. He simply had a list of the only 6 teams that he would be willing to be traded to...the Sox were not one of the 6.

gosox3072
02-10-2003, 11:57 PM
Welcome Abord!!!!

Who cares, cabillo is gonna have a breakout year this year, by this time next year we will be saying that giles for lee would have sucked, i hope!!!

GOSOX--and NIU

mac9001
02-11-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by gosox3072
Welcome Abord!!!!

Who cares, cabillo is gonna have a breakout year this year, by this time next year we will be saying that giles for lee would have sucked, i hope!!!

GOSOX--and NIU

He'll need a really big season, something like .320-35-120, before you can compare him with Giles.

jeremyb1
02-11-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by mac9001
He'll need a really big season, something like .320-35-120, before you can compare him with Giles.

wow. i love giles as much as the next guy but his best season ever was only .315 29 115. i don't think carlos would have to go .320 35 120 just to be compared with giles. .300 35 110 and you're not that far off of giles numbers.

MarkEdward
02-11-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Although that never happened, that Giles for Rauch/Lee is very intresting. That would give us the All-Star centerfielder we covet, white moving Borchard to a more natural position. Brian Giles puts up unreal numbers and never gets noticed. Imagine the outfield of Borchard, Giles and Ordonez. wow.

Giles is terrible defensively for a left fielder. He's never going to make it in center.

mac9001
02-11-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
wow. i love giles as much as the next guy but his best season ever was only .315 29 115. i don't think carlos would have to go .320 35 120 just to be compared with giles. .300 35 110 and you're not that far off of giles numbers.

He hit: .298 with a .450 OBP, with 38 HR's, 37 2B's, 103 RBI's, 135 BB's.

He did that on a really bad team.

Carlos should have a much easier time getting 35 HR's and 120 RBI's than Giles with all the protection Carlos has in the Sox's lineup.

Also Giles has a great arm.

gogosoxgogo
02-11-2003, 06:13 PM
Yes, Rogers officially said that the Sox offered Rogers a contract (not his article, there's a thread here somewhee else). If he comes to the Sox, it will be to win, not for money.

Anyone who wouldn't do Lee and Rauch for Giles in insane. Anyone who thinks the Pirates would do that is insane. Also, do you think Giles would veto that trade now SHOULD it happen (because I know it won't). It's not like the Pirates are going anywhere and the Sox have a pretty good chance of going fairly deep, especially if you add him into the equation.

Giles would not move to centerfield, that would be Borchard. Giles would not be a good centerfielder, trust me on that. Borchard is much more athletic with a better arm.

Chisoxfn
02-11-2003, 07:10 PM
And that may be the best 15 minutes in sports :)

Hacksaw is pretty good at that stuff. The offer was made, now its just a waiting game now.

I take it your in the Socal area? What do you think of Xtra selling out and cutting most of the local guys. I don't know if you ever listened at night, but the Coach and Randy Jones were awesome when it came to baseball talk, now I have to listen to crappy ESPN programming.

Enough of my rant, lets sign Rogers!!!!

Originally posted by idseer
anyone hear anything about this?

a regular on the espn board said ....

No Bs....just heard it on SportsNight LA/SD from Hacksaw Hamilton. No figures were announced.

Rocklive99
02-11-2003, 09:26 PM
Take this for what you will, but on Sunday's seminar, someone asked Kenny a question about Finley or another FA pitcher, and the response was "Sure if they are willing to play for $300,000 left in the budget left for spending," so I'm guessing that anyone else acquired will be acquired via trade, but maybe he was lieing or something?

longshot7
02-11-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
And that may be the best 15 minutes in sports :)

Hacksaw is pretty good at that stuff. The offer was made, now its just a waiting game now.

I take it your in the Socal area? What do you think of Xtra selling out and cutting most of the local guys. I don't know if you ever listened at night, but the Coach and Randy Jones were awesome when it came to baseball talk, now I have to listen to crappy ESPN programming.

Enough of my rant, lets sign Rogers!!!!

I really don't listen to XTRA except for that 15 minutes. Hacksaw annoys the crap out of me. 1150 up here sucked big time - sorry if they lost the SD guys - but why would they play ESPN - isn't it Fox Sports Radio?

I listen to 710 mostly - the McDonnell/Douglas show rules.

baggio202
02-11-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Yes, Rogers officially said that the Sox offered Rogers a contract (not his article, there's a thread here somewhee else). If he comes to the Sox, it will be to win, not for money.

Anyone who wouldn't do Lee and Rauch for Giles in insane. Anyone who thinks the Pirates would do that is insane. Also, do you think Giles would veto that trade now SHOULD it happen (because I know it won't). It's not like the Pirates are going anywhere and the Sox have a pretty good chance of going fairly deep, especially if you add him into the equation.

Giles would not move to centerfield, that would be Borchard. Giles would not be a good centerfielder, trust me on that. Borchard is much more athletic with a better arm.

to back your point..compare giles with maggs..162 game averages

giles 34-106 -302 , 416 obp , 986 ops
maggs 31-116 305 , 362 obp , 885 ops

101 points higher in ops for giles...anyone who would trade lee and rauch for giles ought to have the noggin examined..he's as good a ballplayer as maggs

Chisoxfn
02-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
I really don't listen to XTRA except for that 15 minutes. Hacksaw annoys the crap out of me. 1150 up here sucked big time - sorry if they lost the SD guys - but why would they play ESPN - isn't it Fox Sports Radio?

I listen to 710 mostly - the McDonnell/Douglas show rules.

I meant to say Fox Sports. Ya, McDonnell Douglas are really good. I like Loose Cannon Talk though. Hartman is one of the smartest people I've ever heard on the air. Have you ever heard that guy with trivia, good god he knows everything.

The SD guys were really good, but they were only on 690. Hacksaw knows football, but he isn't too sharp at baseball. He's pretty good at hockey.

ChiSox14305635
02-11-2003, 11:00 PM
Hope they were able to sign him. He would definitely solidfy the rotation. :smile:

jeremyb1
02-12-2003, 03:02 AM
everyone seems to be neglecting the fact that giles played 108 games in centerfield in '99, 72 in '00, and 61 in '01. this isn't a completely new idea.