PDA

View Full Version : Quoth Fisk

LuvSox
02-10-2003, 06:49 PM
Form today's Sun Times , when asked about his artifacts in the "Baseball As America" exhibit Carlton Fisk said "They should have a picture of my hands around Deion Sanders' neck." I love that F****ng guy!!!!!!!!!!!!

RedPinStripes
02-10-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Form today's Sun Times , when asked about his artifacts in the "Baseball As America" exhibit Carlton Fisk said "They should have a picture of my hands around Deion Sanders' neck." I love that F****ng guy!!!!!!!!!!!!

*****!

EnricoPallazzo
02-11-2003, 12:54 AM
Amen Brother!

Fisk running down the 1st base line screaming at and shoving Deion because he wasn't running out the pop up. It doesn't get any better than that.

I once saw Fisk shove Salome Barojas in the chest and nearly knock him over after Salome came in with a 2 run lead and walked the first 2 batters.

This brings to mind a thought about Jerry Reisdorf. I'm generally not a Reinsdorf basher, but how inept and short sighted is he?
He fails to keep Fisk in the organization, and no matter how grumpy Fisk might be, a good executive would have the skill to use his assets and fan popularity. Then he does the same thing with Michael Jordan.

LuvSox
02-11-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by EnricoPallazzo
Amen Brother!

Fisk running down the 1st base line screaming at and shoving Deion because he wasn't running out the pop up. It doesn't get any better than that.

I once saw Fisk shove Salome Barojas in the chest and nearly knock him over after Salome came in with a 2 run lead and walked the first 2 batters.

This brings to mind a thought about Jerry Reisdorf. I'm generally not a Reinsdorf basher, but how inept and short sighted is he?
He fails to keep Fisk in the organization, and no matter how grumpy Fisk might be, a good executive would have the skill to use his assets and fan popularity. Then he does the same thing with Michael Jordan. You said it all there. JR dumped him in a terrible manner, forever souring Fisk on working here again. You can almost call him a 'throwback' because of his attitude towards the game. We've seen a quite a few players here that could use a kick in the arse now and then. I wish Fisk was the Sox skipper.

hold2dibber
02-11-2003, 08:49 AM
Amen Brother!

He fails to keep Fisk in the organization, and no matter how grumpy Fisk might be, a good executive would have the skill to use his assets and fan popularity. Then he does the same thing with Michael Jordan.

Not only did Reinsy "fail to keep Fisk in the organization" - he forcibly ejected Fisk and slammed the door behind him. This despite the fact that Fisk was an absolute icon here in the '80s. I'll never in my life forget the last night game at old Comiskey (by the way, can we just call it "Comiskey" now instead of "old Comiskey"?), every time Fisk came to bat, about 15,000 camera flashes going off at once. Everyone in that park wanted a picture of Pudge at the old park. Nonetheless, Reinsy runs him out of the organization and pushes him back into the arms of the BoSox. Ughh.

LuvSox
02-11-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Not only did Reinsy "fail to keep Fisk in the organization" - he forcibly ejected Fisk and slammed the door behind him. This despite the fact that Fisk was an absolute icon here in the '80s. I'll never in my life forget the last night game at old Comiskey (by the way, can we just call it "Comiskey" now instead of "old Comiskey"?), every time Fisk came to bat, about 15,000 camera flashes going off at once. Everyone in that park wanted a picture of Pudge at the old park. Nonetheless, Reinsy runs him out of the organization and pushes him back into the arms of the BoSox. Ughh. To me that was the worst thing JR has ever done here. He's done some bad stuff but his relationship with Pudge makes me wanna vomit. If they don't get along, that's fine, but it was obvious what Fisk meant to all of us. Carlton said it was obvious that JR and Eddie knew nothing about baseball when they took over. Words of wisdom? I just hope that Fisk knows WE still love him, no matter what JR says. The pic is for you JR!

Lip Man 1
02-11-2003, 12:04 PM
The WSI March interview is going to be with an ex Sox player who knew Fisk VERY well.

He had some great stories of Pudge and also has a first hand account of the team "releasing" Carlton in Cleveland and also a first hand account of when Pudge was turned away from seeing the team before game #1 of the 93 ALCS.

The interview will be in mid / late March, just FYI.

Lip

LuvSox
02-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Excellent Lip Man 1, thank you for the info

maurice
02-11-2003, 03:07 PM
I'm generally not a Reinsdorf basher, but how inept and short sighted is he? He fails to keep Fisk in the organization, and no matter how grumpy Fisk might be, a good executive would have the skill to use his assets and fan popularity. Then he does the same thing with Michael Jordan.

Yup. JR typically shows very little deference (and sometimes contempt) to fans and fan favorites (Fisk, Ventura, McDowell, Carray, Piersall, Jordan, Pippen, Jackson, etc.) and an absurd amount of deference to underperforming management cronies (Nardi, Krause, Floyd, etc.). While he may have had legitimate reasons in certain individual cases, it sure looks like a pattern and practice to me.

Paulwny
02-11-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Yup. JR typically shows very little deference (and sometimes contempt) to fans and fan favorites (Fisk, Ventura, McDowell, Carray, Piersall, Jordan, Pippen, Jackson, etc.) and an absurd amount of deference to underperforming management cronies (Nardi, Krause, Floyd, etc.). While he may have had legitimate reasons in certain individual cases, it sure looks like a pattern and practice to me.

The only exception I can think of is Harold.

ChiSox14305635
02-11-2003, 11:19 PM
Pudge should've went to the HOF with a White Sox cap, not one from Boston! I'm still pissed with Reinsdorf for that.