PDA

View Full Version : What is the last piece of the puzzle?

clarkent
02-10-2003, 03:44 PM
Knowing the Sox have budget constraints, I feel the Sox really have put a good team together this year. Kudos to KW!! But in your opinion what is the last piece of the puzzle? I think it is a 5th starter.

gogosoxgogo
02-10-2003, 04:19 PM
Well, I don't know that we necessarily have to go out and acquire anyone, but the following must happen if we are to go anywhere:

-Jimenez needs to step up big and have a great batting average, taking a lot of walks in the lead off role. A lot is riding on this young kid.

-Crede needs to live up to expectations. .285/25 homers/80RBI's at least

-Rowand needs to be able to fill center field until Borchard arrives. I don't trust Harris there.

-Borchard needs to come out explosive in the second half if he is to have the starting center field job then. He needs to be our 'secret weapon'.

-Garland and Wright really have to step it up. This, with Jimenez is the most important thing that must happen if the Sox consider themselves contendors. They need to drop their ERA's and lose their losses.

-The 5th starter needs to be consistent, whoever he may be. I'm not asking for a sub 3 ERA with 18 wins, but even a mid 4 ERA and going deep into ball games every day is vital.

-Olivo needs to have a good season. Josh Paul is NOT an option (I hope he doesn't make the 25 man roster), and Sandy is too old. Miguel needs to be able to hold down that spot and do it well.

-Frank must be the comeback player of the year. When Frank is on, he has shown that he can carry this team by himself. During his best years, we've won the division (93 he won the MVP, 94 he won the MVP, 00 he arguably should have won it, and finished in second). If Frank is strong, we have this thing. This is right up there with Garland, Wright, and Jimenez.

-KW needs to make something happen before the trading deadline if we need it. He has said he will, let's hope he means it. If we need something by the trade deadline, whatever it may be, we have to get it.

ChiSoxKid
02-10-2003, 04:19 PM
We don't know really yet if what is needed is the "last piece of the puzzle" or something more...although it appears before a single game has been played that these off-season acquisitions have improved the team.

As far as what is still needed to further improve the team, I'd say you are right, a 5th starter, preferably a lefty. I would also be happy if they could acquire a proven lead-off hitter, but that might be asking too much...there is only so much money they can spend.

HawkDJ
02-10-2003, 04:22 PM
I don't think we are that desperate for a 5th starter. We won't be depending on that person too often and Rauch should be able to get the job done. Another starter couldn't hurt though. We could probably use a better leadoff hitter more.

hold2dibber
02-10-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Well, I don't know that we necessarily have to go out and acquire anyone, but the following must happen if we are to go anywhere:

-Jimenez needs to step up big and have a great batting average, taking a lot of walks in the lead off role. A lot is riding on this young kid.

-Crede needs to live up to expectations. .285/25 homers/80RBI's at least

-Rowand needs to be able to fill center field until Borchard arrives. I don't trust Harris there.

-Borchard needs to come out explosive in the second half if he is to have the starting center field job then. He needs to be our 'secret weapon'.

-Garland and Wright really have to step it up. This, with Jimenez is the most important thing that must happen if the Sox consider themselves contendors. They need to drop their ERA's and lose their losses.

-The 5th starter needs to be consistent, whoever he may be. I'm not asking for a sub 3 ERA with 18 wins, but even a mid 4 ERA and going deep into ball games every day is vital.

-Olivo needs to have a good season. Josh Paul is NOT an option (I hope he doesn't make the 25 man roster), and Sandy is too old. Miguel needs to be able to hold down that spot and do it well.

-Frank must be the comeback player of the year. When Frank is on, he has shown that he can carry this team by himself. During his best years, we've won the division (93 he won the MVP, 94 he won the MVP, 00 he arguably should have won it, and finished in second). If Frank is strong, we have this thing. This is right up there with Garland, Wright, and Jimenez.

-KW needs to make something happen before the trading deadline if we need it. He has said he will, let's hope he means it. If we need something by the trade deadline, whatever it may be, we have to get it.

I don't think that the Sox MUST have ALL of these things happen to have a successful '03. Frank needs to perform well, but I don't think the whole season will be lost if he doesn't return to MVP form. And I think the Sox will be fine offensively even if Crede hits .260/20/65, assuming the others meet expectations. Similarly, I don't think it is vital that the 5th starter posts a sub 4.50 ERA - under 5.25 should be good enough if the others perform as capable.

But I do agree that the critical factos are (1) Garland, Wright and (to a lesser extent) Rauch (or whoever wins the 5th slot) must prove themselves to be consistent, better than average major league starters; and (2) Jimenez has to be at least decent in the lead-off spot (i.e., OBP of .340 or better).

As for a "final piece" that the Sox could use? A big whomping left handed bat in the lineup. Brian Giles is at the top of my wish list (I know there are rumors that the Sox are on his "no trade" list), and I'd be willing to deal, for example, Konerko, Munoz and Diaz to get him. But I don't think that's going to happen. Maybe Borchard can fit that description, but I personally don't expect any significant contribution from him until '04.

FarmerAndy
02-10-2003, 04:53 PM
If we need something by the trade deadline, whatever it may be, we have to get it.

I think that this is the key. I feel confident starting the season with what we have. But come the trade deadline, KW needs to try and put us over the top.

In 2000 we didn't make a significant move in July because we were winning with what we had, but when the playoffs came around we were over-matched. I feel good about our chances to win the division, but we need to have a team that can compete in October.

kevingrt
02-10-2003, 05:01 PM
Well, if everyone plays well and up to their capablities (cough cough, :caballo ), then we shoudl easily win the AL Central and have a very good chance of winning the ALCS and World Series. If that doesn't get done so be it, it's been the history of the ChiSox and I guess it will keep on becoming history. And if we are on the brink at the All-Star break, it's Kenny Williams job to get a good solid veteran player. Hopefully we don't even need to worry about that and we can get our first World Series in a long long long while.

I just up we do it, that's all us fans can do, HOPE!

Jjav829
02-10-2003, 05:19 PM
I don't think the 5th starter is the key. I mean, we're talking about a 5th starter here. The missing piece to me is a leadoff hitting, good glove centerfielder (ie. Randy Winn). It's not something we're going to get, but to me that would really seal this team as a legitimate contender. I like Rowand and the hustle he plays with but I would prefer a guy like Winn.

Procol Harum
02-10-2003, 05:26 PM
In terms of one last piece of the puzzle it boils down, in a word, to Frank. He doesn't have to hit .330 and slug 45 hrs and drive in 130 runs (it'd be nice, don't get me wrong!! :D: ), but he has to come much more back in the direction of Good Frank. And this not only for the success of our offensive attack but for the general overall ambience of the ballclub. Unfortunately, Frank has demonstrated an unhappy talent for poisoining the atmosphere around this team and a happy Frank would help to keep that from becoming a problem again this year. This latter factor is going to be an important ingredient, I fear, if we are to catch the stinkin' Twinks.

Kilroy
02-10-2003, 05:42 PM

This one has a key element that can't be overlooked. That is, I don't wanna hear a bunch of b.s. about not making a trade because "we don't want to motgage our future". I remember hearing the same nonsense in 2K, and we havent had a good chance to win since. Instead of making a strong move for a pitcher to help out our injured staff, we played it safe, choosing to hold on to the players that might have brought a player or two that could have gotten us there. If we are close, pull that trigger!! The future is promised to no one...

jeremyb1
02-10-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by clarkent
Knowing the Sox have budget constraints, I feel the Sox really have put a good team together this year. Kudos to KW!! But in your opinion what is the last piece of the puzzle? I think it is a 5th starter.

if i was forced to pick one thing, i'd go with olivo's game calling. there's not much doubt in my mind he can hit, run the bases, and play defense pretty well. neither alomar nor paul can do any of those things well enough to be a starter. that means olivo is the guy. however, the one thing he needs work on is his game calling. we might have to suffer through the other two catchers if olivo can't do a decent job calling games and that would be rough.

OEO Magglio
02-10-2003, 08:18 PM
I would love to sign Kenny Rogers, but I don't think he's the last piece of the puzzle, I also believe that it's a good leadoff hitter, but if jiminez hits around .280 or .290 like he did last year, I believe the sox are in very good shape.

chisox06
02-10-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
I would love to sign Kenny Rogers, but I don't think he's the last piece of the puzzle, I also believe that it's a good leadoff hitter, but if jiminez hits around .280 or .290 like he did last year, I believe the sox are in very good shape.

I think another proven starter like Rogers would probably put it together for me. I guess adding one more starter might not be the "finall piece of the puzzle" but I would be very dissaspointed if the sox didnt go deep in the playoffs

Bmr31
02-10-2003, 09:09 PM
I think this thread only proves that there is really no such thing as the final piece. To make the playoffs, you need talent, chemistry and a few breaks. I think the sox have proven they have talent, lets hope the rest falls in place.

idseer
02-10-2003, 09:59 PM
imo the last piece of the puzzle would be getting a competent manager. if anybody can screw this talented bunch of players up it's jerry manual.

EnricoPallazzo
02-11-2003, 04:22 AM
Pennant winning teams seem to usually have a young player having his break out year (Garland?), a player having a career year (Lee?), an unexpected boost late in the season (Munoz?), the studs having stud years, no serious or lingering injuries to key players, a chemistry that evolves from come from behind victories and selfless team play.

Everyone who picked the Angels to win last year raise your hands. Can the Sox do it? It's possible and that's good enough for me.

cornball
02-11-2003, 06:05 AM
It seems to me KW may be done for a while, unless he can get a bargain....like Rodgers for cheap.

Yes there are questions at CF, C and promise with the bottom of the rotation, but not enough to panic.

If the Sox can get out to a fast start, hopefully some of the holes can be filled or upgraded from within or before the trading deadline, if they are positioned for the playoffs.