Chicago Sun-Times:

3 Cub Stories
2 Sox Stories

Chicago Tribune:

2 Cub Stories
3 Sox Stories

Cub Fan/reporter Mike Kiley did indeed write more CubFluff
with a glowing article on the Return of Steve Stone. (Didnt he
already write this back when WGN announced his return?)
Another article on the name change, and curiously enough,
one paragraph on Maggs winning the HR challenge. that is
pretty pathetic. Overall, not a bad weekend, however,
Sox not able to catch up, as there were equal number of Cubbie
stories

Standings as of 12.13.02

Cubs 94
Sox 74

Hangar18
02-11-2003, 10:52 AM
Tuesday February 12, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

2 Cub Stories
0 Sox Stories

Chicago Tribune:

0 Cub Stories
1 Sox Storie (qa w fred mitchell!!)

Hardest Working Cub Fan/Columnist/Reporter Mike Kiley
is personally making sure the city of chicago knows and loves
the Cubs, no matter if its basically Recycled News ala his
piece on The Shooter Rod Beck.
Also, his piece on Steve
Stones "return" (how many more times is he going to chat
with Stoney?) and how he thinks the Staff will shape up,
sounds Every Bit as Something Ive read a few days ago
and definitely falls into the CubFluff Category.

Mike Kiley has become A Non-Writer in my eyes, which is
kind of like being a Chef at a Restaurant, but everyone says
your Food Tastes Terrible.

Dick Allen
02-11-2003, 11:02 AM
This is something we evidently are going to have to get used to, though I don't think I ever will. And this is coming from the paper that DOESN'T own the Flubs. The worst thing is when they run a picture of Kiley in the column, that's enough to make me lose my breakfast without reading the article.

Hangar18
02-11-2003, 11:11 AM
COMING NEXT WEEK!!!
Kileys article on the Return of Steve Stone to Wrigley Field!

Week after that.....Story on Steve Stones first Road trip
with the Cubs....then A Story on Steve Stones 1st Broadcast
without Baylor......

Hangar18
02-12-2003, 12:13 PM
WEDNESDAY February 12, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

1 Cub Story
1 Sox Story

Chicago Tribune:

1 Cub Story
1 Sox Story

Mike Kiley, hardest working Cub Fan Ive ever met.
hes up to a story a day on these guys. Trib continues their weekly debate on Ron Santo and his HOF possibilities
The Cubs are definitely going to be the 1st to 100 stories....
If Kiley and Fred Mitchell have anything to say about it.

Dick Allen
02-13-2003, 09:44 AM
More lip service from Mike Kiley today. Plus they insist on continuing to run his picture. It's amazing what a team DOESN'T have to do to get media attention, while what another team DOES have to do, just being across town.

Hangar18
02-14-2003, 08:41 AM
Thursday February 13, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

1 Cub Story
0 Sox Story

Chicago Tribune:

1 Cub Story
0 Sox Story

Mike Kiley, biggest cub fan of all, and writer of most Recycled
information on the planet. Does his part to put the cubs at
the Century mark.

Standings since 12.13.02

Cubs 100
Sox 77
ps. sorry for the delay, out w the flu yesterday...

Hangar18
02-14-2003, 10:01 AM
FRIDAY FEBRUARY 14, 2003

Chicago Sun-KileyTimes:

3 Cub Stories
0 Sox Stories

Chicago Tribune:

3 Cub Stories
0 Sox Stories

Well, well, well. Lets see, 8 stories on the Cubs and 0 for the Sox. Apparently, the Chicago Media is Giddy with excitement
over the upcoming cub season. Mike Kiley, he of the many many
Cub Articles...again does the obvious. He wants to write a cub story so badly, he takes a Quote from a player, and turns it into a
a headline. there are about 3 articles on the Excitement and Energy Dusty has with the "DREAM JOB" (who would want to manage a 100 loss team 4 of las 6 yrs??).

Hangar18
02-15-2003, 10:22 AM
SATURDAY FEBRUARY 15, 2003

Chicago Kiley Sun-Times:

2 Cub Stories
0 Sox Stories

Chicago Tribune:

1 Cub Story
0 Sox Story

Since Tuesday Feb 11, there have been 0 stories about the Sox,
while the Cubs have begun to Run Away again with the Media
Coverage, having gone on an 8-0 Run since then. 6 of the 8 Stories about the Cubs during this streak all fall into the CubFluff Category, with the exception being today. 2 Hard News Stories about Farnsworth hurting his finger. Mike Kileys hard "work" is paying off again. This could be because the Cubs have opened camp??
Hmmmm, by that measurement, the Sox come Tomorrow, should have an 8-0 run of their own. Lets See if that happens...(im not holding my breath)

LuvSox
02-15-2003, 11:09 AM
Fark 'em all! Who doesn't like being the underdog? When our beloved Pale Hose throw a beating to the Cubbies all those near-sighted sports writers can swallow it.

DrCrawdad
02-15-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
...6 of the 8 Stories about the Cubs during this streak all fall into the CubFluff Category...
Hmmmm, by that measurement, the Sox come Tomorrow, should have an 8-0 run of their own. Lets See if that happens...(im not holding my breath)

How does one measure the overall tone of the articles? IMHO all the articles this week have been worthy of the Cub PR magazine VineLine. I'd be willing to bet that the very first newspaper articles and local sports reports on the opening of Sox ST will have a negative slant or at least have jabs at the Sox.

Hangar18
02-17-2003, 10:23 AM
Sunday February 16, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:
2 Cub Stories (Story on Baker being Dali Lama, and Alfonseca)
1 Sox Story (Manuels chances)

Chicago Tribune:
1 Cub Story
1 Sox Story

MONDAY FEBRUARY 17, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

3 Cub Stories (Another *%$^$ Santo HOF story, Sammy early, Mariotti ripping on Baker)
1 Sox Story

Chicago Tribune:

2 Cub Stories
2 Sox Stories

Wow, the media circus swirling around the Cubs is beginning to really take shape now. Mike Kileys bid to become a Columnist continues with his story/editorial on Baker. We get not only one, but 2, count them out loud TWO MORE STORIES on Santo and his HOF bid (so sick of it already). really only interesting story was on Koch and his wanting to fit into the bp. Can you Imagine if the Sox hadnt changed the name thing didnt happen??? That was worth at least 10 stories for the Sox. The cubs would have a 50plus story lead on the Sox right now.....damn. Cant believe the Media Bias is this apparent. OH...lets not forget how Big Frank is in camp now...but that isnt worth the paper its written on as a story. INstead, people are ready to pounce on him and Welcome SAMMYS coming EARLY. can you believe this bs?

kevingrt
02-17-2003, 11:05 AM
Who really f***ing cares what the media thinks or does about the WhiteSox? I DON'T CARE!

Dick Allen
02-17-2003, 11:57 AM
In this case, perception is reality. On its own, I don't really care what the press thinks about the Sox, either. But the heavily-biased media and their bombarding us with Cub fluff give rise to the notion that this a Cubs town, and the Sox basically don't exist. That isn't right, now matter what kind of spin one tries to put on it!!

Hangar18
02-18-2003, 04:07 PM
TUESDAY FEBRUARY 18, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

1 Cub Story
1 Sox Story

Chicago Tribune:

3 Cub Stories (baylor speaks, baker happy about shammy)
2 Sox Stories

Fred Mitchell does his 2nd qa on a Sox Player!!
Mike Kiley continues his Cub reporting dominance (does he take a day off??)

Standings since 12.13.02

Cubs 121
Sox 86

Hangar18
02-19-2003, 01:50 PM
WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 19, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

3 Cub Stories
2 Sox Stories

Chicago Tribune:

2 Cub Stories
2 Sox Stories

Sox dont really do any catching up today. Phil Rogers writes an interesting piece on the Cubs and Thome sort of taking a "what If" angle on Thome. I personally feel the cubs did the right thing not signing Thome, who was obviously Going for the $$$$$$$$$.
Heres a guy who said his hearts in Cleveland, he would never leave, then secretly has lunch w the Cubs. nice guy huh?
Mike Kiley comes up BIG with his column. not really "big" in that it was news, but BIG in that he typed a lot of words and put them all together and talked about Patterson. Knee Jerk story. But those count too I guess.

Hangar18
02-20-2003, 10:44 AM
Thursday February 20, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

3 Cub Stories (2 sosa)
2 Sox Stories

Chicago Tribune:

2 Cub Stories (2 sosa)
1 Sox Story

Mike "Cub Fan" Kiley wakes up every morning and wonders aloud, how he can help perpetuate the Myth that is the Cubs. You know what they say, out of sight out of mind right? Well Kiley will make sure he Is NEVER outdone. He contributes 2 more stories (im going to have to go back and see how many hes actually done, compared to other writers) To show the Importance of the Event, of the 5 Cub stories in todays Dailies, FOUR (4) of them are about Sammy Coming Early to Camp.
Preposterous. is this big news? Especially funny is how Mariotti is now in Sammys corner, Ridiculing the rest of the MEDIA circus for eating up his every word, his every boom box staement.
Meanwhile, in Tucson, the media chose to gloss over the #5 spot for the Sox and what it could mean. Pretty big story in camp, but not as big as someone coming early to camp.

Hangar18
02-21-2003, 11:25 AM
FRIDAY FEBRUARY 21, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

3 Cub Stories
2 Sox Stories

Chicago Tribune:

2 Cub Stories
1 Sox Story

Yet another Santo HOF story. this time, what HE thinks about all of it. Giant story (whole page!) on the next coming of Hee Soip.
Cubs have slowly pulled away again from the sox. 40 story lead!!

Hangar18
02-24-2003, 12:46 PM
Monday, February 24, 2003

for the weekend and today...

Chicago Sun-Times:

6 Cub Stories
6 Sox Stories

Chicago Tribune:

5 Cub Stories
6 Sox Stories

Well, big frank talks, and there is certainly a TON of stories about him now. Most not very Flattering. Sox finally broke the Century mark as far as coverage. Most of the TV networks are ignoring the SOX as the real story seems to be in Mesa w Sammy. Funny though that theyre choosing to Ignore the Sox, but coming down hard on Frank. Oh well....

Hangar18
02-25-2003, 10:10 AM
TUESDAY FEBRUARY 25, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

3 Cub Stories
2 Sox Stories

Chicago Tribune:

5 Cub Stories
2 Sox Stories

WOW. Cubs have a big day today with media coverage. (did they do something special the other day that I dont know about?)
Fred Mitchell turns in another fine QA "Piece" about yet another ex Cub Player. Yet more Stories about HOF and Santo (im tired of that already) Kiley continues his Assault on most CubFluff ever written for a reporter, living or otherwise. Im waiting for the day when these guys just Plain RUN OUT OF STORIES to come up with for the CUbs and they HAVE to do something journalistically with the Sox. Is Darren Baker able to generate a Special Report on a news Channel outlet?? Give me a friggin break. Please.
Mariotti kind of pokes fun at the cubbie mystique today...but its still another Cub Story. Rapoport does a piece on cub ticket sales from last week. Lets see if he does one when SOX tix go on sale Mar 8.

Hangar18
02-26-2003, 12:22 PM
WEDNESDAY February 26, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

4 Cub Stories
1 Sox Story

Chicago Tribune:

3 Cub Stories
3 Sox Stories

Wow are the cubs running away with this thing. Theyre going to hit 200 stories since 12/02 in just a week or so. Unreal. This is a team that lost 90 something games isnt it? or did they Win the World Series and I missed it? no wait, the Angels won it all. There are the obligatory Santo HOF stories, theres one on that damn Goat again etc etc. Trib has some good sox stuff today.

Vsahajpal
02-26-2003, 12:52 PM
WEDNESDAY February 26, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

4 Cub Stories
1 Sox Story

Chicago Tribune:

3 Cub Stories
3 Sox Stories

Wow are the cubs running away with this thing. Theyre going to hit 200 stories since 12/02 in just a week or so. Unreal. This is a team that lost 90 something games isnt it? or did they Win the World Series and I missed it? no wait, the Angels won it all. There are the obligatory Santo HOF stories, theres one on that damn Goat again etc etc. Trib has some good sox stuff today.

Fuzzy math...there are 2 Sox stories in the Sun-Times. Do you actually read the columns? Or are you so blinded by your silly project? In fact, there were 2 on Tuesday the 18th...

Chicago Sun-Times:

1 Cub Story
1 Sox Story

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox18.html

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug18.html

Hangar18
02-26-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Fuzzy math...there are 2 Sox stories in the Sun-Times. Do you actually read the columns? Or are you so blinded by your silly project? In fact, there were 2 on Tuesday the 18th...

Chicago Sun-Times:

1 Cub Story
1 Sox Story

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox18.html

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug18.html

Vshajpal was very kind to point out a missed story. Thanks. Wouldve been better had it been pointed out back then. Your right, today, I somehow missed the 2nd sox story and a 5th Cub story on top of that.

Hangar18
02-27-2003, 11:16 AM
THURSDAY FEBRUARY 27, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

4 Cub Stories
2 Sox Stories

Chicago Tribune:

3 Cub Stories
2 Sox Stories

As expected, there are a lot of Santo doesnt make HOF stories today. I was looking for a couple of Minnie Doesnt Make HOF stories, but didnt find one. hmmm. Maybe the Cleveland Media are reporting on this instead...

upnorthsox
02-27-2003, 11:40 AM
Phil Rogers story was a combined one though the headline was a Santo headline.

Irishsox1
02-27-2003, 12:54 PM
Yesterday 02/26/03 the Tribune had a small story about Royce Clayton and how he was "screwed" by the Sox. Today 02/27/03 the Trib has a story about Mark Burhle's "Contract Squabble". Both "stories" try to put a negative light on the Sox and both published by the Cubs parent owner. Also both "stories" were not covered by the Sun-Times.

I say we start a "Ban the Tribune" campaign. The trib slams the Sox any time there is or isn't a story. I also believe that the whole "upper deck is too steep" was started by and accentuated by the Tribune corporation. Plus, they ran the Bozo show right into the ground.

BAN THE TRIBUNE!!!

Vsahajpal
02-27-2003, 04:49 PM
THURSDAY FEBRUARY 27, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

4 Cub Stories
2 Sox Stories

Chicago Tribune:

3 Cub Stories
2 Sox Stories

As expected, there are a lot of Santo doesnt make HOF stories today. I was looking for a couple of Minnie Doesnt Make HOF stories, but didnt find one. hmmm. Maybe the Cleveland Media are reporting on this instead...

As you counted all the Rooftop crap as "Cub" stories, this qualifies as a Sox one, making it 3 Sox stories.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030226exsoxcoachcouncil,1,909883.story?coll=cs%2Dw hitesox%2Dheadlines

Hangar18
02-27-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
As you counted all the Rooftop crap as "Cub" stories, this qualifies as a Sox one, making it 3 Sox stories.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030226exsoxcoachcouncil,1,909883.story?coll=cs%2Dw hitesox%2Dheadlines

Actually, this was already counted today....was included in the "notes" section

Vsahajpal
02-27-2003, 04:54 PM
Are you using the print version(s)? Maybe that's it. Online, there are articles on Buehrle, Daubach, and Johnson, as well as Rogers article.

Hangar18
02-27-2003, 05:05 PM
yes...print version. I noticed something you pointed out the other day Vasaj, sometimes when theres no room in the paper, its online and vice versa. I noticed a story that was in the paper, but not online, or not in "west suburban" editions. then that particular story will surface in print the next day. kind of strange, but it all evens out eventually.

Hangar18
02-28-2003, 10:25 AM
FRIDAY FEB 28, 2003

Chicago Sun-Times:

3 Cub Stories (1 full page devoted to Darren Baker!!!)
2 Sox Stories

Chicago Tribune:

2 Cub Stories
2 Sox Stories

Both Newspapers devoted Front/Back Pages with full color pictures of Baker in the cubs dugout yesterday (never mind the game wasnt played beccause of Rain) SunTimes/Mike Kiley felt compelled to follow that up with a Full Page Story (pg 160) on cubs Rookie Phenom, 4 yr old Darren Baker. Big full color picture of him at shortstop. I cant believe I live in this city sometimes.