PDA

View Full Version : Twins seem nervous

moochpuppy
02-10-2003, 08:21 AM
Gardenhire still complaning about Sox mouths (http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/3640677.html)

It seems the Twins may be feeling a little pressure.

FanOf14
02-10-2003, 08:33 AM
Who besides Koch was saying anything? Beside who cares - he should be more worried about keeping his team where they were rather than worrying about what another team is saying...

hsnterprize
02-10-2003, 08:54 AM
Twins pitching coach, Rick Anderson, was on ESPN Radio yesterday afternoon, and he said the White Sox "scare us", meaning they acknowledge the improvements the Sox have made in their pitching, and like the title of this thread says, the Twins are nervous.

Anderson also said there is a rivalry brewing between the Twins and Sox, and the Twins paid attention to the Sox' progress in September of last year, when the Sox played great ball, and pitchers like Jon Garland got hot.

duke of dorwood
02-10-2003, 08:54 AM
I think he realizes that career years are just that, and his bullpen and some of those no names they plugged in may not do it again under pressure. Plus losing Ortiz will hurt them. He always hit well against us.

moochpuppy
02-10-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by FanOf14
Who besides Koch was saying anything?

They are still whining about things Durham and Howry said during the early part of last season.

I can't wait for April 26th!!!

jeremyb1
02-10-2003, 11:24 AM
i donít understand how gardenhire is so offended. does he honestly believe he has this incredible team? just two years ago they lost 93 games. i donít understand why heís so offended by the luck accusations. so what if they won 94 games? the more games you win the more likely you are to have had luck in your corner. we won 95 games in Ď00 no one will deny that we werenít lucky at times.

gogosoxgogo
02-10-2003, 11:39 AM
Good, I'm all for a little rivalry. They can do all the talking they want, because we're going to kick their asses on the field this year.

Foulke You
02-10-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I think he realizes that career years are just that, and his bullpen and some of those no names they plugged in may not do it again under pressure. Plus losing Ortiz will hurt them. He always hit well against us.

I agree Duke, I think losing Ortiz will hurt them more than they realize.

Plus, how come there is no mention of the Twins being cocky and trash talking when a national article is written. I'm sick of the Sox being portrayed as the "mean, big market, hot shots" in the Central while the Twins get the "small market, underappreciated underdog" tag. It's a bunch of crap. KW, Reinsy, Manuel, Konerko, and Valentin have all been singing praise to the Twins this offseason and the Twins still have that "we get no respect" attitude.

Also, Torii Hunter never stops his lips from flapping about the Sox. Last year when the Sox improved in September and swept the Twins at Comiskey, Torii said he wasn't impressed and labeled it "salary drive time for the Sox". Not to mention, pointing in the Sox dugout and trash talking the Sox players after he hit a grand slam at the Twinkee Dome which was followed by a Bob Howry beanball at Torii's back.:D:

I hope we absolutely destroy the Twins this year. I can't wait for those 19 games against Minnesota. Does anyone know what Bartolo's record against the Twins has been the past few years?

Iwritecode
02-10-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Does anyone know what Bartolo's record against the Twins has been the past few years?

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I do know it hasn't been real great. Not as bad as his record against the Sox, but not good either.

gogosoxgogo
02-10-2003, 12:11 PM
Does anyone know what Bartolo's record against the Twins has been the past few years?

ERA W L SV SVO G GS CG IP H R ER HR BB SO AVG
4.01 3 2 0 0 9 9 1 58.1 62 28 26 6 26 58 .276

for the last three years.

soxruleEP
02-10-2003, 12:51 PM
And this from the article:

The Sox made the second-most errors in the league last season and will move range-challenged infielder Jose Valentin to shortstop to fit Joe Crede in at third base.

"Moved"--"range-challenged"--I don't think range is Valentine's problem. Aren't most of his errors made on throws?

I'm going to have to the stats and check on this.

chisox06
02-10-2003, 01:23 PM
This is all good stuff! There is nothing like a rivalry to not only get the fans fired up, but the players too. Not to mention there are more than a few Twinkies that I cant stand. Torii Hunter for one, and of course Jacque Jones (remeber his hr trot in the ALDS that hit off the wall, what a pompus as*****).

So hey let the teams jaw at eachother, at least it shows that both of these teams are gonna leave it all on the field when its all over.

Iwritecode
02-10-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by soxruleEP

The Sox made the second-most errors in the league last season and will move range-challenged infielder Jose Valentin to shortstop to fit Joe Crede in at third base.

"Moved"--"range-challenged"--I don't think range is Valentine's problem. Aren't most of his errors made on throws?

I'm going to have to the stats and check on this.

I've already done that once. His errors are split almost exactly 50/50 between throwing and fielding as a member of the White Sox.

jeremyb1
02-10-2003, 02:43 PM
Also, Torii Hunter never stops his lips from flapping about the Sox. Last year when the Sox improved in September and swept the Twins at Comiskey, Torii said he wasn't impressed and labeled it "salary drive time for the Sox". Not to mention, pointing in the Sox dugout and trash talking the Sox players after he hit a grand slam at the Twinkee Dome which was followed by a Bob Howry beanball at Torii's back.:D:

i absolutely agree. i consider what gardenhire's doing right now to be trash talking. also, what about his comment that "i hope the white sox have cable" last year? and mientkeivich's comment last a week or two ago? the twins have shot their mouths off just as much as we have and they've shot their mouths off more than we have since the beginning of last season.

pearso66
02-10-2003, 04:06 PM
Jose makes up for a lot of his errors because of his range, he gets to a lot of balls that most players have no chance for.

I've been waiting for a good place to put this, but "Everyday" Eddie of the Twins may have pitched a lot, but he only had 2 inherited runners all of last season, and 1 scored. which means like the Sox who like to bring in closers, ala Keith Foulke with runners on, the Twins start the inning with Eddie. I wonder what they'll do when he's letting around 50% of runners score that are inherited, and its more than 2

upnorthsox
02-11-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by soxruleEP

And this is factually incorrect, the Sox 97 errors last yr were 6th in the AL and 11th in the majors.

Juan Pizarro
02-13-2003, 10:25 AM
The Twinks do seem mighty concerned with what's going on in someone else's locker room.

I keep reading all this national tripe about how Radke and the other gimped Minny starters "have" to bounce back this year, how they should improve with experience, etc. Meanwhile they say the Sox are riddled with question marks up the middle.

Keep it coming, and the ChiSox will fly in under the radar.

Olivo, baby.