PDA

View Full Version : bar bet

southpaw40
02-10-2003, 07:45 AM
On this past Saturday night I was at my favorite watering hole (in Roanoke, anyone ever heard of it?) and was talking with one of my baseball buddies. Every year about this time we get together and compare our picks for each division for the upcoming season.
After that discussion, we were talking more baseball, and I made the following bet with him: For this upcoming season, Frank Thomas will hit 40 hrs, have 110 rbi's, and hit .300. Loser buys the beer for a Saturday night out after the season.
Which one of us was drunk?

whitesoxwilkes
02-10-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by southpaw40
On this past Saturday night I was at my favorite watering hole (in Roanoke, anyone ever heard of it?) and was talking with one of my baseball buddies. Every year about this time we get together and compare our picks for each division for the upcoming season.
After that discussion, we were talking more baseball, and I made the following bet with him: For this upcoming season, Frank Thomas will hit 40 hrs, have 110 rbi's, and hit .300. Loser buys the beer for a Saturday night out after the season.

With your luck, Frank will end the season at 39/112/.307.

I have a bet with a Flub fan buddy of mine. One burrito is at stake for each game in the Cubs/Sox series. Victory never tasted so fattening.

LuvSox
02-10-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
With your luck, Frank will end the season at 39/112/.307.

I have a bet with a Flub fan buddy of mine. One burrito is at stake for each game in the Cubs/Sox series. Victory never tasted so fattening. How could you take advantage of a retarded person like that. ( I'm sure your buddy isn't retarded, just has an electrical disturbance in the part of the brain that controls feelings toward baseball.)

whitesoxwilkes
02-10-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by LuvSox
How could you take advantage of a retarded person like that. ( I'm sure your buddy isn't retarded, just has an electrical disturbance in the part of the brain that controls feelings toward baseball.)

I am working on this guy as hard as I can. Got him out to Comiskey for a game this past summer and also sent him to Soxfest. He actually has a great knowledge of the Sox and their history (he's from the South Side) and will be this year's conversion project..I did it last year with my girlfriend's cousin.

hold2dibber
02-10-2003, 10:15 AM

It's the 40 hrs that I question. I would bet that Frank hits .300 and has 110 RBs in '03. I'm not sure I'd bet that he'll hit 40 HRs, though. IIRC, he's only hit that many 2 or 3 times in his entire career.

southpaw40
02-10-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
It's the 40 hrs that I question. I would bet that Frank hits .300 and has 110 RBs in '03. I'm not sure I'd bet that he'll hit 40 HRs, though. IIRC, he's only hit that many 2 or 3 times in his entire career.

That's the one I'm worried about, too. But the last time he did it was in '00, (IIRC) when he was coming back from a down year. I'm betting he responds the same this time. (help me out here, I'm trying to convince myself it wasn't the beer talking!)

Hangar18
02-10-2003, 11:11 AM
interesting bet there wilkes.
say, what part of the west side are you on?
by UIC? meant to ask you that before...

gogosoxgogo
02-10-2003, 11:15 AM
I see Frank hitting 110 RBI's no problem. I'm not sure which he'll have a harder time with, the 40 homers or the .300 batting average. Get back to me on that one.

jeremyb1
02-10-2003, 11:17 AM
That's the one I'm worried about, too. But the last time he did it was in '00, (IIRC) when he was coming back from a down year. I'm betting he responds the same this time. (help me out here, I'm trying to convince myself it wasn't the beer talking!)

yeah. if you’d gone 35 hrs you’d be a lot better off.

soxnut
02-10-2003, 11:22 AM
I don't think it's a bad bet. The 40 homers may be a close call......But then again, we do have Detroit in our division, and they've just moved in the fences at Comerica by 25 feet. :D:

SoxxoS
02-10-2003, 11:45 AM
I also made a bet with my roommate. Its about a simple as it gets.

I bet him a dinner at one of the nicest restaurants in Arizona that the White Sox will make the playoffs.

Here is the kicker...I made it before the Colon acquisition. :D:

He wasn't too happy about that one.

gogosoxgogo
02-10-2003, 12:06 PM
At the Koch trade, I made a bet with my friend for $10 that Foulke would finish with more saves than Koch. Well, he took it a step further and said that Koch would finish with at least 10 more saves than Foulke. Granted, I'm a lot higher on that trade now reading about 24 of 34 ER's were against only Texas and Toronto, but a margin of 10 gives me an easy win.

whitesoxwilkes
02-10-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
interesting bet there wilkes.
say, what part of the west side are you on?
by UIC? meant to ask you that before...

I have a condo at Harrison and Oakley that lived in for 2 years and now rent out, I moved downtown with Kris (you met her) a few months ago and we'll be moving back that way soon.

Where's those Soxfest pics, Hangar? :)