PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Jerry on wgn news at 9

RedPinStripes
02-09-2003, 09:16 PM
I havent seen Jerry in the public eye this much in a long time. Seems like he 's trying hard to get fans back in the park now.

chisox06
02-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Raising ticket prices doesnt help.

RedPinStripes
02-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by chisox06

:reinsy
"You want all star tickets Colon, and Frank right?"
"Gotcha!"

koch44
02-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I havent seen Jerry in the public eye this much in a long time. Seems like he 's trying hard to get fans back in the park now.

Yeah, but he going on a Cubune owned station.

RKMeibalane
02-09-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by koch44

I don't have a problem with that. It's the only way I would be able to see him because I don't live in the Chicago area.

upnorthsox
02-09-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by koch44

Maybe, but it's also the station that reaches White Sox fans around the country.

WinningUgly!
02-09-2003, 10:56 PM
Nothing new from this interview.

JR did mention that a certain Chicago writer (Marriotti) has to mention his age in every column he writes.

"As long as I'm healthy & have all of my marbles, I want to keep on doing this."

nut_stock
02-09-2003, 11:00 PM
He talked about how he wants the Bulls to be a playoff team next year, and he's exicited about the Sox but wanted to keep a low profile. He said when he got Belle he was all excited and that didn't work out, same with david wells. He also talked about Frank, research of the fans say that he's still the most poplular player on the team. He also said that Frank's a great guy but sensitive to criticism. Then he went on to say that he doesn't plan on selling the team any time soon as he still considers himself young.

Oh yeah he also talked a little about the future of the southside, he said that the population is moving back to the south side and he's confident within 5-10 years we'll see more restaraunts and pubs in the near-south-side.

hose
02-09-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

I heard Jerry lost about 50 pounds.

Must be running the stairs in the upper deck :D:

LuvSox
02-10-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
He talked about how he wants the Bulls to be a playoff team next year, and he's exicited about the Sox but wanted to keep a low profile. He said when he got Belle he was all excited and that didn't work out, same with david wells. He also talked about Frank, research of the fans say that he's still the most poplular player on the team. He also said that Frank's a great guy but sensitive to criticism. Then he went on to say that he doesn't plan on selling the team any time soon as he still considers himself young.

Oh yeah he also talked a little about the future of the southside, he said that the population is moving back to the south side and he's confident within 5-10 years we'll see more restaraunts and pubs in the near-south-side. What an idea, people may want to hangout before and after games and spend MONEY. Jerry catches on sooner or later.

soxnut
02-10-2003, 12:16 PM
I'm confident as well that there will be bars and restaurants in the neighborhood in the next 5-10 years. There is alot of activity starting in the area.

Once the new Stateway neighborhood gets under way, we'll probably see a new Starbucks(the true test of the direction of a neighborhood)near 35th and State, and Banana Republic( for the IIT kids). Another true test for where a neighborhod is headed is three little words...................LOFTS FOR SALE(see Union Lofts--35th and Morgan:unionlofts.com)

Then new restaurants and bars will appear--down Halsted, 35th(maybe a.k.a.-Comiskey Parkway) and State St. It's gonna be good. :smile:

jeremyb1
02-10-2003, 12:21 PM
i have to say there’s a really good feeling surrounding this team this season. sox fest sold out a day, season tickets are going faster than usual, even this board seems to be more active ever since the colon deal went down (over 100 posts in that trade rumor thread in a few days?!). there’s a really good buzz. if we win games this season, attendance could really skyrocket.

soxnut
02-10-2003, 12:29 PM
Attendance shoud be much better, I'm wondering about how much. What is the season ticket base at these days? I know they've had some really good walkup sales in the past. And there's always that extra 10,000 per game for fireworks nights. I'm hoping they at least get over 2mil this year.

gogosoxgogo
02-10-2003, 12:34 PM
I may be a bit optimistic here, but I truly believe we'll top 2 million this year. The addition of Colon, the All Star game, and a winning team are exactly what we needed. I don't know numbers on the season ticket base, but I can tell you that it's up from previous years.

soxnut
02-10-2003, 12:42 PM
That's cool if the season tix figures are up. Maybe 10-12 thousand..........more? Advance tickets 8-10,000 per game, walk up sales another 5-8?

BeerHandle
02-10-2003, 01:49 PM
As the neighborhood changes the attendance will go up! Don't forget that in the late 70's and early 80's no one wanted to head to a Cubs game because of the neighborhood. Once all the college graduates (transients) started moving in did the attendance rise.

THE SOUTHSIDE WILL RISE AGAIN!

soxguy
02-16-2003, 03:23 PM
I believe the year 2000 started the resurrgence of this franchise. yes we had a bad campaign in 02' but the growth in fanbase has still continued, coupling that with the rebuilding of the south side this will be a magor boon to the white sox.

TheBigHurt
02-16-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by chisox06

lol

jortafan
02-16-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
Then new restaurants and bars will appear--down Halsted, 35th(maybe a.k.a.-Comiskey Parkway) and State St. It's gonna be good.

I like the idea of naming the part of 35th Street near the stadium for Comiskey. Of course, since Bill Veeck already has his name on honorary street signs on part of Shields Ave., it would literally put the White Sox home at the corner of Comiskey and Veeck. I like it.

And perhaps someday, the fireplug at that corner could be named for good ol' Uncle Jerry (either that or a shrub where neighborhood dogs could do their business).