PDA

View Full Version : would you guys make this trade

baggio202
02-09-2003, 03:17 PM
this isnt a rumor or anything like that...on another site we were talking about different trade ideas and this one came up and seemed to spark alot of debate...

magglio and clee for ken griffey and adam dunn

would you guys do it???

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
this isnt a rumor or anything like that...on another site we were talking about different trade ideas and this one came up and seemed to spark alot of debate...

would you guys do it???

Hmm its pretty close Id MUCH rather have Dunn over Lee, but i am not sure it makes up the difference of Maggs/Griffey. I would have to say no.

guillen4life13
02-09-2003, 03:20 PM

would you guys do it???

Shoot this one is hard. I don't know. I probably wouldn't because both Maggs and CLee are young whereas Dunn is really young but Jr. is getting old. The production we're getting now combined out of Maggs and C Lee is probably more than what Cinci is getting out of the two of them combined (check the stats... i haven't... im just guessing).

gogosoxgogo
02-09-2003, 03:21 PM
No, I wouldn't even consider it. Griffey is way too much of a risk, and Dunn's batting average leaves something to be desired, not to mention, he has yet to break 75 RBI's. Then throw in the PR of trading Maggs. That would piss off a lot of fans.

I wouldn't trade Maggs alone for both of them. Then add in Lee who I still think has great potential.

baggio202
02-09-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
No, I wouldn't even consider it. Griffey is way too much of a risk, and Dunn's batting average leaves something to be desired, not to mention, he has yet to break 75 RBI's. Then throw in the PR of trading Maggs. That would piss off a lot of fans.

I wouldn't trade Maggs alone for both of them. Then add in Lee who I still think has great potential.

there is some serious potential in dunn that i think you are overlooking..he was only 22 last year...while his batting average was only 245 his OBP was over 400...he walked 138 times...he hit 26 homers and stole 19 bases while striking out 170 times...those are some sick stats...but just think what he could do if he cut his strike outs down to 100???

the thing i like about the trade is dunn isnt eligable fro free agency for 5 years...with borchard almoast ready and outfield of dunn - griffey - borchard gives you great arms at all three postions with above average speed...defensively we would rival seattle and minnesota but blow them away offensively...

the down side of this trade of course is junior..he is a question mark just like thomas...if griffey bounces back , stays healthy and hits 50 homers this deal is a real steal...if he doesnt well then we are crying over magglio...

its a tough call either way

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 03:31 PM
there is some serious potential in dunn that i think you are overlooking..he was only 22 last year...while his batting average was only 245 his OBP was over 400...he walked 138 times...he hit 26 homers and stole 19 bases while striking out 170 times...those are some sick stats...but just think what he could do if he cut his strike outs down to 100???

the thing i like about the trade is dunn isnt eligable fro free agency for 5 years...with borchard almoast ready and outfield of dunn - griffey - borchard gives you great arms at all three postions with above average speed...defensively we would rival seattle and minnesota but blow them away offensively...

the down side of this trade of course is junior..he is a question mark just like thomas...if griffey bounces back , stays healthy and hits 50 homers this deal is a real steal...if he doesnt well then we are crying over magglio...

its a tough call either way

What i would like to see is Rauch and Lee for Dunn. That would give us a SCARY outfield of Ordonez, Dunn and Borchard.

WhiteSox = Life
02-09-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
What i would like to see is Rauch and Lee for Dunn. That would give us a SCARY outfield of Ordonez, Dunn and Borchard.

It would be a trade that probably would benefit both teams. However, the question is do you really sacrfice potentially great pitching which is always needed for a potentially great hitter on a team that has a lot of offense already?

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
It would be a trade that probably would benefit both teams. However, the question is do you really sacrfice potentially great pitching which is always needed for a potentially great hitter on a team that has a lot of offense already?

After the injury, i just dont think Rauch will amount to anything. Deal him while he has value.

WhiteSox = Life
02-09-2003, 03:54 PM
After the injury, i just dont think Rauch will amount to anything. Deal him while he has value.

Put this on the record! Bmr31 doesn't think Rauch will amount to anything!

:D:

ssang
02-09-2003, 04:03 PM

The Red would never do that. Let's get this straight....Carlos Lee will not be a star. I don't get why people still believe in him. His plate disipline is horrendous, his fielding is weak, and his baserunning is at the 4th grade little league level. And Rauch is a ho-hum player. I just don't have faith in him.

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by ssang
The Red would never do that. Let's get this straight....Carlos Lee will not be a star. I don't get why people still believe in him. His plate disipline is horrendous, his fielding is weak, and his baserunning is at the 4th grade little league level. And Rauch is a ho-hum player. I just don't have faith in him.

Of course the Reds wouldnt do it, thats why i said id like to...it would be a steal.

kermittheefrog
02-09-2003, 04:18 PM
I think the Reds would be absolutely stupid to trade Dunn for Lee and Rauch. Dunn is an insanely talented guy with serious hall of fame potential. He's the second best young hitter in the game after Albert Pujols. There aren't really any comparable players in the game today.

I think the problem with taking on Griffey is he may be best at first base or DH to prevent further energy and he may not be willing to make the transition. In addition we're pretty set at those positions. At the very least I'd say Griffey needs to make a move to left field.

In the end I don't think I could pass up an outfield of Griffey, Borchard and Dunn. So I would deal Lee and Maggs for Griffey and Dunn.

kermittheefrog
02-09-2003, 04:19 PM
His plate disipline is horrendous

Were you even paying attention the second half of last year?

SoxxoS
02-09-2003, 04:30 PM

Yeah...you're right. Lee is 26 years old and has improved his walk total from 38 in 2000 and 38 in 2001 to 75 in 2002. His OBP in went up from .321 to .359 in the past 2 seasons. He increased his home run total a tad. To say his plate dicipline is horrendous is not an accurate statement. Now, if Carlos has another ho-hum year and doesn't improve again, then you can say he won't be a star. But since his is 26 and still improving, nobody can say he "will not" be a star.

kevingrt
02-09-2003, 05:25 PM
I really like that trade, even though the Reds wouldn't accept it. Dunn has superstar potential and they even though it doesn't look like it, they want to keep Junior. I love the trade for the Sox though! Griggey is a great defense player, unlike Maggs who is very suspect there. Dunn has much more potential and most likely will use that potential unlike C-Lee is doing now.

Great trade and I really like it, just wish it would actually happen!

hose
02-09-2003, 05:28 PM

would you guys do it???

No I wouldn't make that trade.

Maggs could easily be the AL MVP this year, while Griffey jr. is a washed up aging often injured ex-superstar that doesn't have ambition or work ethic to be taken seriously anymore.

So the trade comes down to Maggs and Lee for Dunn.....forget about it.

WinningUgly!
02-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Griffey is a great defense player, unlike Maggs who is very suspect there.

Huh? :?:

RedPinStripes
02-09-2003, 05:48 PM
Maggs for Griffey? No thanx.

Joel Perez
02-09-2003, 07:54 PM
Yes/maybe/dang, tough to choose....

The only reason is that you would bring balance to the Sox lineup...both Dunn and Griffey are Left-Handed hitters, and balancing that with a team of right-handed hitters would pose match-up problems against the Sox's opponents on a regular basis.

2B Jimenez (Left-handed hitter)
SS Valentin (Switch Hitter)
DH Thomas (Righty)
CF Griffey (Lefty)
1B Konerko (Righty)
LF Dunn (Lefty)
3b Crede (Righty)
RF Borchard (Lefty)
C Olivo (when he matures--righty)

Two things...1) Griffey has to get in better shape, and 2) Dunn would have to learn AL pitching...either way, having three ex-football players-turned-hitters (Thomas, Dunn and Borchard) would potentially make a feared lineup throughout the majors...it's just up to junior. It could help Frank get back in gear...or could create the Eric Davis/Darryl Strawberry-LA Dodgers fiasco all over again.

For a safer pick...Adam Dunn for Carlos Lee and Corwin Malone.

gogosoxgogo
02-09-2003, 08:03 PM
This trade is basically Maggs for Dunn. Griffey is done and whatever he would be, Lee more than cancels it out. I would never do Maggs for Dunn. Maggs has proven he is one of the top outfielders in the game while Dunn has the potential to become one. So Maggs for Dunn + Griffey's salary? Never in a million years.

Originally posted by Joel Perez
For a safer pick...Adam Dunn for Carlos Lee and Corwin Malone.

Dream on.

Pete_SSAC
02-10-2003, 12:14 AM
Hmm.. Lemme thi-NO!

- Pete